As I have children with cheap chinese tablets who want to play minetest and could not connect to my server due to memory limitation (512MB) I decided to rewrite the minetest client. Right now I'm in alpha stage, only very basic functionality works and only the "default game" and "minimal_test" is supported. I'm able to connect to existing minetest servers and walk around on them for now. My code loads the mapblocks it needs and removes them when not needed and so saves memory. As it is build on Xamarin and uses the Urhosharp game engine it runs on Windows, Mac, IOS and android. My goal is to be able to make it work with heavily modded servers and only use low ram to be able to spread the game to people with low-ram devices as people with iphones. For now I won't be releasing anything as I don't fully yet know about licences, the game is not yet functional and still contains many bugs.
Why I made this thread? I would like to know what everybody's thoughts are about it, what is allowed and what isn't, and if there is demand for a new client as one already exists.
Proof of concept video:
-> fov is only 32 blocks for now, just to make a quick video.
Not to repeat myself, but to keep this topic a little clean: Yes it still needs work and yes, there are many many bugs.
Working import of B3D & Wavefront models by code:
Reworked kernel for handeling more nodes, models and media from server -> Now working on modded servers
Translated nodeboxes to vertextriangles + facedir + completely reworked how mapblocks get drawn for performance :D
A lot of progress later...
Speaks for itself, no video needed...
Worked some more on the formspec's...
B3D Model glitch solved, moving object problem solved