[discussion] how can the forums be improved?

MineYoshi

Re: [discussion] how can the forums be improved?

by MineYoshi » Post

Sergey wrote:Want to improve forums? Eliminate f*cking spammers! Simultaneously two of them are shitting everywhere at the moment.
This spammers have been deleted, maybe if you could show some respect in this forums and community could be better, you know?
Have a nice day! :D

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Want to improve forums? Eliminate bleeping swearing! So many people just do it in posts and sigs and no one seems to care!

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

ABJ wrote:Want to improve forums? Eliminate bleeping swearing! So many people just do it in posts and sigs and no one seems to care!
Quick search on the bleep words show that there are people who literally write that words without even censoring?
Attachments
WHAT?
WHAT?
sketch-1492081056711.png (445.8 KiB) Viewed 365 times

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Why is my name on the top two threads? Is that supposed to be latest post?

Edit: nvm

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Spoiler
fuck=54
shit=82
crap=146
dick=14
penis=4
sieg heil=2
anal=2
butt sex=1
arse=6
asshole=6
heil hitler=1

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Post

ABJ wrote:
Spoiler
****=54
****=82
****=146
****=14
*****=4
**** ****=2
****=2
**** ***=1
****=6
*******=6
**** ******=1
By the creation of this post you increased the counter of every word by one. XD
Can your read this?

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

By the way, I just remembered. I'm responsible for most of the "sieg heil"'s.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

ABJ wrote:By the way, I just remembered. I'm responsible for most of the "sieg heil"'s.
You are a living example of the Murphy's law, ABJ.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

I do not understand!

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

ABJ wrote:I do not understand!
Sorry, i've confused messages with other person, the point is that you like too much to post content about Hitler in this forum.
I actually have Jew friends, German ones also, that's very offensive from you.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

You mean liked.

Anyway, I still don't understand the relation with Murphy's Law.

Also, besides, this discussion is offtopic.

mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

Another suggestion, allow more than 8 URLs in signature... lol.

I just realized the limit was 8 when I'm trying to add 2 more servers with links to their forums to my signature. I had to write their forum thread IDs as substitute.

When I play on any newer servers, I will also add them to signature, because where else I could mention the servers I played on if not on game forums itself, lol. No one really reads external website (except useful ones like krock-works mod search - http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php ) and these users will miss out servers I'm playing on.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Allow photos in signature :) so I can add TOKUBETSU KOUGEKITAI

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

muhdnurhidayat wrote:Another suggestion, allow more than 8 URLs in signature... lol.
ABJ wrote:Allow photos in signature :) so I can add TOKUBETSU KOUGEKITAI
It's great I wrote script that hides all signatures long time ago!

mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

Sergey wrote:
muhdnurhidayat wrote:Another suggestion, allow more than 8 URLs in signature... lol.
ABJ wrote:Allow photos in signature :) so I can add TOKUBETSU KOUGEKITAI
It's great I wrote script that hides all signatures long time ago!
You don't need any script to hide signatures, there's already an option to hide all signatures if you don't want to see them. Our signatures are there only for users who want to see them. I also enjoys reading other user's signature, and sometimes we get to know each other better. ;) Sometimes, we even get to the point on using private message to discuss deep issues which otherwise-offensive discussions.

Click on "User Control Panel" then click on "Board Preferences", click on "Edit display option" and you would see the option of "Display signatures", click "No" to hide signatures, then click "Submit".
Attachments
Options
Options
sketch-1492781684675.png (299.6 KiB) Viewed 365 times

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Now I use forum's signature switch-off.

And also I switch posts to be ordered descending inside topics. I am tired to open topic(s), then click on its 217th page, then scroll down to view new posts. Now I see fresh/new posts on top right away when opening topic.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by Sergey on Fri Apr 21, 2017 19:44, edited 3 times in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

muhdnurhidayat wrote: Another suggestion, allow more than 8 URLs in signature... lol.
That would indeed be helpful. I had to create an extra thread that holds my real signature with links to all my mods. On the other hand users already exaggerate a lot, and the signature might (especially in combination with servers we play on...) easily exceed the amount of lines posted in the actual posting by orders of magnitute. Not all forum users are aware that they can't just post one or two sentences if their signature is a mile long.
A list of my mods can be found here.

mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

Sokomine wrote:I had to create an extra thread that holds my real signature with links to all my mods.
This leads to another suggestion:

Make editable part inside userpages of forum.

This forum also has userpages but it only displays statistics. It's on the URL https://forum.minetest.net/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=YOUR_PROFILE_ID

I see many other forums has that kind of feature where the userpages begins with custom post (eg. About Me) that's editable by user itself, it would be good if that space is provided and you can write anything without limit (except limit by BBcode specs itself) and post all links there instead of in-signature or creating new thread for links.

For example:
Setting page:
From certain community's forum which uses IPBoard 3.4.7 by InvisionPower

For free(?) alternative, it's also could be added directly in newer version of phpBB (see this) or modify codes in older version.

Alternatively, we can also have a thread for every users. This is implemented in some forums software where it's impossible to create custom post in userpage itself due to problems with the software itself (or because the owner is lazy to mod it, lol).
Sokomine wrote:On the other hand users already exaggerate a lot, and the signature might (especially in combination with servers we play on...) easily exceed the amount of lines posted in the actual posting by orders of magnitute. Not all forum users are aware that they can't just post one or two sentences if their signature is a mile long.
At least most of my posts are not just one or two sentences, except those in Offtopic [GAME] topics.
Attachments
Setting
Setting
Screenshot_2017-04-22-08-25-24.png (245.02 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Example
Example
Screenshot_2017-04-22-08-21-41.png (393.93 KiB) Viewed 365 times

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

muhdnurhidayat wrote: At least most of my posts are not just one or two sentences, except those in Offtopic [GAME] topics.
That's right. What I meant where much shorter postings by some other forum users where the signature wasn't a nice little text below but rather cried out in big letters and color.

That "About me"-page suggestion you made sounds intresting. I just don't know if it can be integrated in this current forum software?
A list of my mods can be found here.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

muhdnurhidayat, are you suggesting that I lengthen my posts to big, boring walls of text?

mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

ABJ wrote:muhdnurhidayat, are you suggesting that I lengthen my posts to big, boring walls of text?
of course not... also your signature is just 2 lines of text (and 1 empty line) so what Sokomine wrote don't even apply to you...

Other than Offtopic, it's not hard to write more in one post because this is forum (where people discuss) and not for chatting, you can elaborate on details to support your point of something, or add informative graphics. Eventually, the post you're writing would be longer than what you thought you'll be writing in the first place.

Sometimes, when the writing is becoming longer and longer, it took me more than 3 hours to write certain post, making sure the thing I'm writing is really correct and/or relevant, and preview many times to make sure the BBcode isn't screwed up before submitting a post. The only thing I don't check is my grammar because English is confusing and many English native especially Americans are using wrong grammar anyway (double negative is wrong, "ain't not true" = "is true"). These kind of posts will actually be long and sometimes ended up in multiple spoilers.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Well, I prefer writing short, concise posts. I've written many a rant and then feared that no one would notice or maybe it might even be called a shitpost because it was too short, and had to add stuff.
Last edited by ABJ on Sun Apr 23, 2017 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

One suggestion I'd really like to make is that the mods stop acting on misinterpretations on writings. I am not a neo-Nazi, and I have no love for Hitler.

Another is that they make it clear whether bad language is banned or not. I've been called out for using "bad" language which I see used everywhere, even by the moderators.

Yet another suggestion is that mods make it clear whether sensitive topics are allowed. I've been called out on a rant about racist neo-Nazis because "it was too sensitive for here", while other people are seen making long threads with religious arguments unhindered,.

theFox
GitHub: theFox6
In-game: theFox

by theFox » Post

Remember that WTFPL also includes f*ck. Means you can't blame everyone for bad language.
my mods and subgames (ง'̀-'́)ง

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

muhdnurhidayat wrote:(double negative is wrong, "ain't not true" = "is true").
But not always.
When two negatives are used in one independent clause, [they] produce a weakened affirmative [...] in some dialects if a verb or adverb is in between two negatives then the latter negative is assumed to be intensifying the former[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_negative#English