Forum is now hosted by celeron55 (report issues here)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Forum is now hosted by celeron55 (report issues here)

by Wuzzy » Post

Nothing is wrong with phpBB, why are we suddenly talking about a switch? Don't fix what isn't broken. I don't care if other forum software may have a feature more here and there, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much.

My point is, don't put unneccessary work on celeron55. Thanks. :-)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Nothing is wrong with phpBB
Anything is wrong with phpBB. It has anything combined a modern web forum should avoid programmatically and functionally.

diogogomes
GitHub: diogo-gomes

by diogogomes » Post

nrz wrote:i hope we never switch to discourse, nextcloud uses it and it's a unclear forum and has no advantage over phpbb
Wuzzy wrote:why are we suddenly talking about a switch? Don't fix what isn't broken. I don't care if other forum software may have a feature more here and there, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much.
I use Discourse in many forums and one thing I really "hate" in Minetest Forum is the non responsive design. I come to the forum only few times because I need poweron computer only for this. For me and for everyone that have a smartphone and/or a tablet it matter a lot.

The main feature in Discourse that Minetest forum don't have is responsive design for smartphones and tablets and also:
  • - markdown formatting,
    - badges,
    - dynamic notifications,
    - summarize topics,
    - reply via email,
    - etc
Minetest forum seems pretty outdated and I feel that it can ward off new players.
Wuzzy wrote:My point is, don't put unneccessary work on celeron55. Thanks. :-)
Why put unnecessary work on celeron55? I suppose that will be a lot of volunteers ready to help. ;)

I reinforce the idea that we have to innovate the forum, at least the design.

wilkgr76
GitHub: wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Post

BTW, trying to use emoticons (not the builtin "smilies") gives an SQL error usually.

Attachments
SQLerror.PNG
SQLerror.PNG (33.61 KiB) Viewed 8021 times
N/A

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

wilkgr76 wrote:BTW, trying to use emoticons (not the builtin "smilies") gives an SQL error usually.
Yes. That happen in all phpBB based boards because phpBB can't properly parse them.

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

Maybe its time to update to latest phpbb 3.2, it have a responsive design, support for emojis, ...
But this might break the Minetest theme, but personally I don't care about that, because I does not use it.
And of course, the probably installed anti spam mods, have to replaced by anti spam extensions.

CraigyDavi
GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio
In-game: CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

diogogomes wrote:
nrz wrote:i hope we never switch to discourse, nextcloud uses it and it's a unclear forum and has no advantage over phpbb
Wuzzy wrote:why are we suddenly talking about a switch? Don't fix what isn't broken. I don't care if other forum software may have a feature more here and there, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much.
I use Discourse in many forums and one thing I really "hate" in Minetest Forum is the non responsive design. I come to the forum only few times because I need poweron computer only for this. For me and for everyone that have a smartphone and/or a tablet it matter a lot.

The main feature in Discourse that Minetest forum don't have is responsive design for smartphones and tablets and also:
  • - markdown formatting,
    - badges,
    - dynamic notifications,
    - summarize topics,
    - reply via email,
    - etc
Minetest forum seems pretty outdated and I feel that it can ward off new players.
Wuzzy wrote:My point is, don't put unneccessary work on celeron55. Thanks. :-)
Why put unnecessary work on celeron55? I suppose that will be a lot of volunteers ready to help. ;)

I reinforce the idea that we have to innovate the forum, at least the design.
I agree, Discourse is an incredible platform and has much better modern updates than the slow progress of phpBB. Would really love to see this implemented here. Works so much better on mobile devices and has some great plugins which would do everything this forum currently does and more.

Of course don't fix what isn't broken but technology moves fast; keep up ;)

ShadowNinja
Developer
GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Post

CraigyDavi wrote:[Discourse] Works so much better on mobile devices...
Except that it takes 20 seconds to load...

Wuzzy

Destroying the Discourse hype with just one image

by Wuzzy » Post

This is how the Discourse Demo looks like without JavaScript:
Discourse is not an acceptable alternative.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

discourse is too trendy, hipster, millennial for my liking
I'm an old fart, I prefer the ol'e visually dependable looks, and functions of the good ol'e forum softwares.

But, Ima keep pimpin' smf to celeron55 :P
They have always been ahead of phpBB as far as security, and features, etc..
And the admin control is much easier.

"DO IT!" (Shia LaBeouf)

Flarum seems promising, but still far too new to consider
http://flarum.org/
A Wonderful World

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Nothing's bad with FluxBB

https://fluxbb.org/

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:discourse is too trendy, hipster, millennial for my liking
I'm an old fart, I prefer the ol'e visually dependable looks, and functions of the good ol'e forum softwares.
[…]
Flarum seems promising, but still far too new to consider
http://flarum.org/
So you think Discourse is bad because it's trendy? (i.e. popular, probably because it's works well). Also because it's "hipster, millennial" while at the same time you suggest Flarum? It sounds like it only comes down to personal taste and not what would work best for this context.
Linuxdirk wrote:Nothing's bad with FluxBB

It puts "user-friendly" as USP but the layout is not even responsive? ;D

If a forum software change ever was in question, I'd suggest the starting point would be to analyze who the audience is, what it needs and what's desirable behavior (increased user posting, self-moderating, higher quality posts etc) then start from that when looking for solutions.

ShadowNinja
Developer
GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:Nothing's bad with FluxBB

It hasn't been updated in any form for a year, and the 2.0 version (which actually has a proper hashing algorithm) hasn't been updated for 5 years.

phpBB has also gotten quite a bit better, it's just that we're running an obsolete version (largely because the moding and theming systems suck and it takes a lot of work to update the theme and find updated/new mods).

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Even a 1 year old FluxBB version has better features and is more secure and more modern than the most recent phpBB version.

pilcrow

by pilcrow » Post

I haven't been around here very much lately, but I'd like to throw my two cents into the discussion (from a user-end perspective):
  • I've never used a Discourse forum before, but if their demo is anything to judge by, I find it aesthetically unpleasant ( it looks like it's trying to be a fricking IM client) but it runs well as long as you have JavaScript enabled. If its layout can be customized to something more traditional (and if the stupid giant user icons to the right of each topic can be disabled), then I'd probably like it...
  • Flarum's own forum (which I presume uses Flarum, but I don't think it actually says so anywhere on the page) has extremely bad performance on my meager laptop and will probably fare even worse on a mobile device -- browsing it feels like navigating a '90s page full of animated GIFs (slow, jerky scrolling, a large delay when clicking on anything, my CPU running at about 80%, etc.) despite there not really being any discernible reason it performs so poorly. I'm wholeheartedly opposed to using it, as it would make this forum very tedious to actually navigate...
  • FluxBB is fine from a user-end perspective, and their forum seems almost identical to the phpBB layout in use here, so if it has any better administration features than phpBB, it's probably the best option (and will take the least amount of time for end-users to get used to).
  • I don't even know how best to describe how repulsive Simple Machines is to me... That's supposed to be a forum? It looks like an old Yahoo home page! Yuck!
I hope I haven't offended anyone, just wanted to give my honest opinion as a user and not an administrator... :P

nrz
Developer
GitHub: nerzhul
IRC: nrzkt
In-game: nrz

by nrz » Post

Just update to last PHPBB3 and maybe change a little bit the skin to be more modern but related to MT can be sufficient. I don't think we use many plugins there

Wuzzy

0 posts

by Wuzzy » Post

LOL!
There is an user (LordStephen77) who currently has 0 posts according to this forum, but this number is obviously wrong:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17179&view=unread& ... 51#p271747

xD

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: 0 posts

by GreenXenith » Post

Wuzzy wrote:LOL!
There is an user (LordStephen77) who currently has 0 posts according to this forum, but this number is obviously wrong:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17179&view=unread& ... 51#p271747

xD
I noticed that too :o
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Could you add these up with the BBcode bar?
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17696
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

pilcrow wrote:I haven't been around here very much lately, but I'd like to throw my two cents into the discussion (from a user-end perspective):
  • I've never used a Discourse forum before, but if their demo is anything to judge by, I find it aesthetically unpleasant ( it looks like it's trying to be a fricking IM client) but it runs well as long as you have JavaScript enabled. If its layout can be customized to something more traditional (and if the stupid giant user icons to the right of each topic can be disabled), then I'd probably like it...
  • Flarum's own forum (which I presume uses Flarum, but I don't think it actually says so anywhere on the page) has extremely bad performance on my meager laptop and will probably fare even worse on a mobile device -- browsing it feels like navigating a '90s page full of animated GIFs (slow, jerky scrolling, a large delay when clicking on anything, my CPU running at about 80%, etc.) despite there not really being any discernible reason it performs so poorly. I'm wholeheartedly opposed to using it, as it would make this forum very tedious to actually navigate...
  • FluxBB is fine from a user-end perspective, and their forum seems almost identical to the phpBB layout in use here, so if it has any better administration features than phpBB, it's probably the best option (and will take the least amount of time for end-users to get used to).
  • I don't even know how best to describe how repulsive Simple Machines is to me... That's supposed to be a forum? It looks like an old Yahoo home page! Yuck!
I hope I haven't offended anyone, just wanted to give my honest opinion as a user and not an administrator... :P
I just hope that, if the forum ever migrated to other system, the forum wouldn't use bandwidth too much because some users have data quota. Also, I hope it could still be loaded from 64kbps internet at least without timing out (without images, of course... it would be impossible to fully load everything with that speed).
Spoiler
We do have high speed internet (usually 1MB/s / 8Mbps) but we have some kind of data cap. Luckily, we only have "high speed internet data quota" where we can still use internet after the quota is used up, though at throttled speed, (advertised as) 64kbps (in reality usually only 2KB/s .. that's 16kbps).

The high speed internet data quota here is usually 2GB per month on the most used and cheapest data plan because other plans are not affordable at all, but maybe there are some countries out there where the data quota and/or speed is even worse, so consider them too.

Meanwhile in our neighbour country: https://youtu.be/WFdNRLKhbNU
(Lazy to open video? It just shows their internet speed, and reddit, vimeo, imgur being blocked by their government, and how they surf those blocked websites. Hope Minetest didn't get blocked.)
EDIT: Note that 64kbps means 8KB/s, it's slower than 50KB/s internet. :)
Last edited by mnh48 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

Milan*
GitHub: tchncs
IRC: Passant
In-game: Milan Passant

by Milan* » Post

Why i almost didn't answer here was because login didn't redirected me back. >.<"

However, another trendy one is NodeBB. It is more in the "good old forum style".

Also, please - just because a hand full of people are against JavaScript without exceptions,
it shouldn't be avoided in a forum. It is one of Discourse's benefits - EmberJS.
It's pretty lovely and magic. https://emberjs.com.

Somewhere should be some tiny exception and agreements to make a modern look to the people outside and generate new players - because for now, Minetest still feels quite unseen and such a legacy forum is not the way to improve this sad situation imo - for example because it always feels so old and outdated when you come join the community, many things are unhandy, and so on - i think on this part everything is already written (oh no, shitstorm incoming).

EDIT: I have also data cap and rockin' with a family shared 50kB/s connection. I use Discourse every day. And still dislike phpBB more because: on phpBB i load every single page and it can become HORRIBLE slow - it's a freaking mess. But Discourse loads only one time because it uses a modern interface that does only loads what's new so the performance is always awesome for me!

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Please add a feature whereby posters can decide who can edit the post.

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

ABJ wrote:Please add a feature whereby posters can decide who can edit the post.
This will be useful for server & mods thread...

Server thread:
Server owner can add server moderators into the list of user who can edit their specific post, so the server moderator could update the first post when server owner gets too busy to update them.

Mods thread:
Mods owner could add trusted contributors to the list of user who can edit their specific post, so if there's update and the owner is busy or forgotten to update the post, the contributors could update them.

Of course, this feature should be post-specific, not global... You would not want the other users to edit your post on other threads or topics... xD

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the author of the thread for my server? The initial post is very outdated, and I don't want to have to start an entirely new topic just to change the description and rules for my server.
Last edited by sorcerykid on Wed Aug 16, 2017 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

sorcerykid wrote:Does anyone know how if it is possible to modify the thread for my server?
Just click edit button on top right corner of your post. (Is it there?)
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/