[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

StormFox
IRC: StormFox
In-game: StormFox

Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by StormFox » Post

Need a break from building or a rest from exploring Spawn? Stop into Spawn Public Park and relax awhile. :)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

StormFox wrote:Need a break from building or a rest from exploring Spawn? Stop into Spawn Public Park and relax awhile. :)
Every town and city should have a few parks for folks to escape from the concrete jungle. ;)

Tastefully done, StormFox! \o/

StormFox

by StormFox » Post

Thanks, LazyJ! Much appreciated. :D

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2017_04_22.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Be-Lated Happy 4th Birthday LG's World

Four years ago, on April 18th, 2013, LinuxGaming's world was formed using Minetest 0.4.6 daily build from 2013_04_16.

On April 20th, 2013, the server was opened to the public.

No world wipes in all these years. ; )

The very first structure built in the world still exists, protected, below the cliffs on the east side of Spawntown's mesa - Tux's Teletubby House. At the time, Tux was telling me about the Teletubbies and what kind of houses they lived in. To demonstrate, he made a small square out of a single layer of glass blocks and put a smaller layer of dirt on top. While the build itself may not be impressive, its status and vintage are.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Happy birthday! It's always very very good to see that maps live and are not reset. There are many worthy buildings on the LinuxGaming2 server.
A list of my mods can be found here.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

Happy Birthday,

and thanks for providing the server.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

noob101
In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Post

Happy birthday, though a little belated, four years are awesome, keep going!

Though the reason I pop in here is a bit of a sad one:

Dear friends on Linuxgaming2, Xanadu, Illuna and Hometown servers!

I am sorry to announce that there have some personal issues come up and events happened in the last few days that will take a while to process and resolve. Because of that I will probably be a very rare guest on MT in general, if I pop in at all. Please do not worry, I am quite ok, but these things need time and much of my energy.

Anyway I want to thank you all for the awesome last two years I spent on these servers (and a few others, though only for a short time). I started out on LG(2) around April 1st in 2015 and tried my first MT steps there, friendly guided and taught by a number of great players and LazyJ as the admin, they showed me patience, answered my noobish questions and brought me on the way.

After maybe half a year there was a period when I spent most of my time all alone on the server, and I moved on in search for busier places. I peeked into a few of OldCoders', spent some weeks on the German firc servers, and ended up on Xanadu. I made my way into that community of great players and friends, had some up and downs and rather quickly became a Mod, introduced by Shinji Ikari himself. I will not start to name all the friends I made there, just out of fear I may forget to mention one or two. It's been many anyway. And a good time, a great year I spent there (though I still have half a tear in my eye for the map reset! If you have a copy somewhere, pls tell and give me!)

I can't even estimate the hours I spent on this server, sometimes even from work. But every now and then one server or the other caught my eye, and I spent a day or a weekend elsewhere. That's how I got stuck on Illuna. In the beginning I was only curious bc of the name. But soon I was hooked by the next bunch of great people I met there (Milan in person even!) and the mesecon/pipeworks and many other things that are stuffed into that VIP server. Did not take long and I was granted Mod privs there as well, had a great place on a few mountaintops and way too many projects started at once.

Then one day GoldenHart crossed my path, I knew him from Xanadu. He invited me to another server, Hometown, where I had a peek in and spent some time over the last three or four weeks. I did not quite grow roots there yet, but was well on my way and had met yet more friendly folks there.

Friends, thank you for the many great hours we spent together, many silly jokes, pranks, good talks, awesome builds and projects - just a good time. I hope to be back some time, but I just can't tell when this will be.

However, you stay strong, move on, remember me every once in a while and have fun playing.

CU n101

dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

noob101 wrote:Happy birthday, though a little belated, four years are awesome, keep going!

Though the reason I pop in here is a bit of a sad one:

Dear friends on Linuxgaming2, Xanadu, Illuna and Hometown servers!

I am sorry to announce that there have some personal issues come up and events happened in the last few days that will take a while to process and resolve. Because of that I will probably be a very rare guest on MT in general, if I pop in at all.
I'm saddened to hear this Noob101. Even in the short time I have been playing MT, I have seen your name on LG2 a few times. I hope your personal issues resolve rapidly.

I agree LazyJ is very helpful on LG2, as are Miner_48 and StormFox.

LordVlad
In-game: LordVlad

by LordVlad » Post

I saw this server first time i came to minetest... and i have to say ¡this is a cool server! buildings are great and admins have been improvement it development.... i'm glad of build here :D

StormFox

by StormFox » Post

Happy Belated Birthday to the server! I do have to say I wouldn't be here if it weren't for greeter and when he introduced me to LG2, I knew immediately that would be my MT home. :)

@noob101 Stay strong. Whatever's happening in your life, you'll get through it. We hope to see you back!

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

noob101, sorry to hear you are going through a difficult period. Work it through and come out stronger.

~~~

Thanks to all for the LG birthday well-wishes. ;)

~~~

Now for a recent change that I know some players won't like:

The Evil tools, blocks, and sticks have been disabled.

In the past, certain players have abused these tools to lag-through into other players' protected builds; gaining access to the interiors without permission of the owners. This is one of the reasons why I harp on keeping stuff in locked chests. Despite the stronger VPS and its faster connection, the Evil tools are still able to lag-through the protection mods.

Thankfully, the current group of players are a better folk and have respected the protected and locked-door builds of others. However, there will always be troublemakers in the future so these tools would remain a problem.

I've tried to put a priv requirement on the Evil tools but doing so stops the continuous swing that occurs when the mouse button is held down. MT checks if the player has the priv to use the tool with each swing, reducing the tools to one swing per mouse click. Rapidly clicking won't make them swing any faster.

I considered supplying the Evil tools through admin shops set at ridiculously high prices but there are troublemakers who are more patient and determined than others and would save-up the money to buy the Evil tools.

I also thought about only giving them to trusted players but experience has taught that things will be loaned-out, given away, sold, stolen, or dropped and scooped-up by others thus the problems caused by the Evil tools would still remain.

The simplest solution for now and the long-term is to disable the Evil tools completely.
  • The Evil tools have been converted to their diamond counterparts.
  • The Evil blocks have been converted to diamond blocks
  • The Evil sticks have been converted to diamonds.
  • The saw-cut Evil blocks will appear as Unknown Nodes until I can work through the code that creates all of those.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • Overview maps updated to 2017_04_29.
  • Cooking conflict between MoreBlocks' tar and Streets' asphalt has been fixed.
  • MoreBlocks' tar is now made by swapping with Building Blocks' tar (and vice versa).
  • To encourage players to clean-up floating leaves, oil extract's burn time has been significantly increased (second only to coal blocks) and so has the out put for its crafting recipe (6 leaves -> 12 oil).
    • Default coal block burn time = 370
    • Oil extract burn time = 200
    • Paraffin burn time = 100
    • Default lava bucket burn time = 60
    • Default coal lump burn time = 40
    • Most everything else that can be used as furnace fuel is below 60.
  • The old MoreOres' gold blocks have been converted to default gold blocks. The old gold stuff was so rarely used back in the day that the change in MoreOres went unnoticed until Miner_48er found a underground Christmas room, built back in June 2013, that used the old gold blocks.

wilkgr76
GitHub: wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Post

LazyJ wrote:Update:
  • To encourage players to clean-up floating leaves, oil extract's burn time has been significantly increased (second only to coal blocks) and so has the output for its crafting recipe (6 leaves -> 12 oil).
I, for one, do like this change!
N/A

dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

wilkgr76 wrote:
LazyJ wrote:Update:
  • To encourage players to clean-up floating leaves, oil extract's burn time has been significantly increased (second only to coal blocks) and so has the output for its crafting recipe (6 leaves -> 12 oil).
I, for one, do like this change!
As do I, because I have an entire chest of oil extract in storage.

dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

duplicate post deleted

Thorton
IRC: Thorton
In-game: Thorton

by Thorton » Post

To be honest, I thought that oil is the most effective fuel :).

LazyJ maybe you have some older overview maps? You know what I'm working on and the scale in general I'd like to see my progress week after week. You think it's possible? However I know that some part of the Old and New Town is hidden uder Mindblowing tower :).

BTW as mentioned before I invite all to my area there're new stairs to enter the Town, I'm leaving some free stuff there I invite you all to sightseeing. The Town is rather big in general. If you look around You might notice how things developed.
Under the town there's also a system of tunels for quick transportation and defence.
I think one day soon I might write the History of the place.

Plans for The Thortonville (I know it's my egocentrism to name the place like so) are:

- Tavern in the port area
- redo the Lighthouse
- upgrade the small part under the Chapel
- cementary

In the meantime I invite you:

The album is available at: http://imgur.com/a/AZvjt

Enter platform (chests wit free stuff)

Thortonville at the sunset

Old Town Gate

Wind and water mill

Statue for the dead builders of The Town

Sunrise

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thorton wrote:
LazyJ maybe you have some older overview maps? You know what I'm working on and the scale in general I'd like to see my progress week after week. You think it's possible? However I know that some part of the Old and New Town is hidden uder Mindblowing tower :).

Howdy Thorton ; )

I don't have any older overview maps; they are replaced each time they are updated. If you take screenshots as your builds progress, they will tell better stories than a top-down map ever would. One of the hardest parts is *remembering* to take the screenshots (so easy to forget when one is focused on creating).

Folks, Thorton's album has more screenshots than posted here; well worth taking a moment to look through.

Thorton, you've done an excellent job with the lighting. The night-time shots look nice with a balanced amount of ambient glow and darkness.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:

I've been rethinking my strategy on encouraging players to clean-up floating leaves/trees. The idea was to make leaves more desirable so more leaves would be used-up faster.

The crafting recipe change of 6 leaves to make 12 oil meant *fewer* leaves used to make more oil.

That's backwards from what I'm trying to achieve.

So I've changed the recipe again. Now 6 leaves will only produce 1 oil extract (*more* leaves to make less oil). The oil still is the second longest burning furnace fuel. I left that part as the incentive to use leaves.

Reviewing Uses for Leaves:
  • 6 leaves make 1 oil extract
  • 3 leaves make 3 rope
  • 1 leaf block + 1 dirt = 2 fake grass
  • 1 leaf block + dye(s) = autumn leaves, snow needles, and cherry blossoms.
  • 6 leaves + 3 sticks = 3 shrubbery
  • Leaves by themselves are a short-burn fuel - Have a few stacks of giant sequoia leaves? Toss the stacks into furnaces to use them up.
  • Leaves can be climbed through.
    • Useful as temporary scaffolding before the leaf decay removes them.
    • Element for a challenge course: player has to make and cross a bridge of leaves that self-destructs as the player attempts to cross a long lava pool.

Thorton
IRC: Thorton
In-game: Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Hey! The trick with leaves to get samples is gone now???? I'm doing the both click and nothing happens! :(

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thorton wrote:Hey! The trick with leaves to get samples is gone now???? I'm doing the both click and nothing happens! :(
Howdy Thorton ; )

I gave it a whirl with spruce leaves and a couple pine. The redig trick still works, it just takes a long while sometimes, quicker other times. The timing is random. My first two attempts took forever. The third time was almost instant.

Novatore

by Novatore » Post

Hey LazyJ, this is the skin I'd like to use if that's no trouble.

http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3314004/anarchist/

Thanks mate.

ForgottenRemix
GitHub: ForgottenRemix
IRC: ForgottenRemix
In-game: ForgottenRmix

by ForgottenRemix » Post

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • Novatore and ForgottenRemix - your skins have been uploaded and will take effect after the next server restart.
  • Folks, if you would like to visit Novatore and ForgottenRemix's new town, the go-point is: Novatore Island
  • Overview maps updated to 2017_05_14.

greeter
IRC: greeter
In-game: greeter

by greeter » Post

So I built a blockhouse...

Not much to look at, just like a real blockhouse. However this one is based off of the Saint Andrew's blockhouse which can be seen here. (because I'm not sure of the image's copyright, I've chosen to link it rather than post it.)

Hopefully this can inspire some other players to make buildings based off of real buildings.