[Modpack] Self Organizing Systems 0.3.1

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

[Modpack] Self Organizing Systems 0.3.1

by Dokimi » Post

They are alive!

These mods explore the principles underlying complex systems. e.g. systems theory, evolution, swarm intelligence etc.

They are the closest a Minetest block will ever come to being alive.

These mods can be fun to use in a general game, or they can used as a hands on way to explore some of the most fundamental laws of nature.

• Autocell: cellular automata. One of the simplest possible demonstrations of how self organization occurs.

Selfrep: several self replicating "tools" that build useful controlled structures. e.g. a road, tower, tunnel, etc.

Selfrep_doomsday: explores the power of exponential growth. Devices that explode in a wave of uncontrolled expansion, like out of control nano-tech. Makes a challenging survival game.

Ecobots: replaces the default vegetation with an ecosystem of selfreplicating blocks. Also includes examples of network and swarm intelligence, and evolution. They are alive!

Autosky: mimics some of the basic process that give rise to local scale weather systems. Clouds and rain form spontaneously due to the availability of water, local topography, etc.

Neuron: allows the player to build neurons, and basic neural networks.

Evolve: bots that uses an evolutionary algorithm to find the best mining strategy (or any other task you set it to solve).

Be Aware!:
These are complicated. Read the instructions in each mod folder for more details on how these work and how to use them.

These can be unpredictable... be prepared for surprises.

These mods are all variations on a theme, but... activating them all on the same map might be unwise...
e.g. Doomsday, Ecobots, and Autosky can all be demanding on computing power on their own.
e.g. Doomsday is the ultimate griefer's tool... it will destroy the world.
If in doubt try each mod independently first.

License:

Code is licensed under GNU LGPLv2+.

Textures and sound are licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported.

Dependencies:
- farming,
- flowers
- fire,
- tnt.

Author:
All mods were created by myself (Dokimi).

DOWNLOAD

View Code at Github:
https://github.com/DokimiCU/self_organizing_systems.git

Just one of the Ecobot ecosystem types. Swamp forest grading into "Generalist" forest in the distance, with shellfish beds in the foreground. Remember - these are not static like in default. These are growing, changing, adapting, and inhabited by semi-intelligent animals.

For more screenshots check out the comments...
Attachments
ecobots_0.2_swamp.png
ecobots_0.2_swamp.png (1006.82 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Last edited by Dokimi on Sun Apr 01, 2018 00:41, edited 8 times in total.

burli

Re: [Modpack] Self Organizing Systems

by burli » Post

Very interesting

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

This is very impressive, Dokimi. I'm interested in ecobot especially. It gives a vision of how biomes could possibly work in the future: not only forests would grow, change and die, but different biomes could compete with each other. Plains next to deserts would slowly be taken over by the desert if not stopped by a forest, for example.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

Another harmful system (but less dangerous than the existing ones) could be mold that spreads to wood and other organic materials. Maybe including dirt, if there is moisture around.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Byakuren wrote:Another harmful system (but less dangerous than the existing ones) could be mold that spreads to wood and other organic materials. Maybe including dirt, if there is moisture around.
Yes! And moss, creating real primeval forests. I believe biome humidity level is provided in at least mapgen version 7.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

This looks interesting, I'll test it.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

texmex wrote:This is very impressive, Dokimi. I'm interested in ecobot especially. It gives a vision of how biomes could possibly work in the future: not only forests would grow, change and die, but different biomes could compete with each other. Plains next to deserts would slowly be taken over by the desert if not stopped by a forest, for example.
I think I'll leave this version of ecobots as it is - it's nice to have something that's complicated enough to work, but simple enough to understand.

That said I may create an "Ecobots Deluxe" in the future, with all the ecosystems including the oceans filled out. Now that I've figured out how to do it I should be able to pull it off. Although, while it's easy to get stuff to grow in Minetest, getting it to grow naturally and balanced is very hard. The amount of ecological understanding required is extreme.

But before all that Ecobots needs road testing! I have no idea what this thing can do. I would love it if people posted screenshots etc of how it evolves in different conditions.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Byakuren wrote:Another harmful system (but less dangerous than the existing ones) could be mold that spreads to wood and other organic materials. Maybe including dirt, if there is moisture around.
Ecobot kind of does this, in a controlled manner by having decomposers. My early unbalanced versions were susceptible to "fungus" outbreaks eating all the trees.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

texmex wrote: ... I believe biome humidity level is provided in at least mapgen version 7.
Do biomes currently have environmental factors (e.g. temp, humidity)? I've seen them in the code, yet I thought I'd read other things saying they'd been abandoned. It would be very useful for an Ecobots-deluxe if Minetest does have this feature.
texmex wrote: Yes! And moss, creating real primeval forests. ...
Ha, oh we can dream! I'm not sure how complicated it will be possible to make this before my head explodes. At the moment I'm thinking in very abstract terms, not "how can I make an Oak tree?", but "how can I make a K selected terrestrial temperate zone autotroph?"

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

For those who are interested in knowing what it took to make ecobots, here's a view of an early version, back when it was just a heaving pile of robo-sludge.

Attachments
screenshot_ecobots_earlyprototype.png
screenshot_ecobots_earlyprototype.png (944.58 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Awesome idea! it's 'an itelligent self-changing blocky virus'!
might be a bit cpu cosuming, if you use many of them.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Interesting work.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote: ... might be a bit cpu cosuming, if you use many of them.
So far...
- The doomsday ones can get laggy when they are huge (and they get HUGE).
- Autocells was laggy but I think I've fixed it (it'll be in an update)
- The sponge get's laggy because it has to create so many blocks to keep the water out

But... strangely... Ecobots hasn't been laggy for me, considering what it's doing. Earlier versions that grew super fast had issues, but now... I think it just ticks along slowly. It doesn't do much, but what it does do it does in the right kind of way. If any thing I'll probably slow it down even more.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Every time I use Ecobots I've ended up fiddling with it. I've changed the pioneer plant from a block to a grass. This makes such a huge improvement to the feel of it I'll likely release an update sooner rather than later. It makes for a real jungle slashing experience now.

Attachments
ecobots_with_grass.png
ecobots_with_grass.png (321.83 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

texmex

by texmex » Post

Dokimi wrote:Every time I use Ecobots I've ended up fiddling with it. I've changed the pioneer plant from a block to a grass. This makes such a huge improvement to the feel of it I'll likely release an update sooner rather than later. It makes for a real jungle slashing experience now.

Getting better and better by the looks of it! Is there a way to speed up the growth process? I'm impatient…

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

looks very nice.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Updated!

Among many minor changes...
- the grass (note, this will cause a temporary glitch on old maps - grass will be black until something makes them refresh)
- settings for plant growth rates (you can set them high at the start, then slow it down so you don't have to weed it all the time!)
- plants will no longer grow in water or do so many suicide charges into the dark (note, any existing aqua-plants will die... it'll have to work to claim that swamp)
- animals need to eat to reproduce
- a pdf better explaining how this all works.

I think it's in a state in which I can leave it alone for a while now. Have fun with it!

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

epic!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It's a very intresting concept and impressive structures that evolved through it. Wish I had more time to take a look.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Dokimi

Re: [Modpack] Self Organizing Systems 0.1.1

by Dokimi » Post

I've been working on some major changes to the Doomsday mod. It should be in a usable form, but I wont do a proper update until I've fixed/added things to the other mods (which may be ages away).

If you want the new Doomsday (it is much better!), it is available on Github, under the 0.2 branch.

I'll post some screenshots of it...

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

In 0.2 Doomsday devices now grow forever, lifting them from merely gigantic, to super-mega-uber gigantic. The only way to stop them is with a kill switch in settings.

The Grey Goo: now has a more open and varied growth making exploration better.
Attachments
GreyGoo0.2.png
GreyGoo0.2.png (898.86 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

In 0.2 The Weapon is brutally efficient, but it does have a slight weakness to ice, just to give you a vain sense of hope.

Attachments
Weapon0.2.png
Weapon0.2.png (1011.89 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

...The Weapon in a fight with the Grey Goo... because I could!

Attachments
GooVsWeapon0.2.png
GooVsWeapon0.2.png (926.63 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Did someone say a Doomsday fungus would be interesting...? I agree!

Introducing The Blight...

Attachments
Blight0.2.png
Blight0.2.png (1017.66 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

...and after all the damage these Doomsday machines cause we really need something to set things right...

Introducing the Terraformer...

Attachments
terra0.2.png
terra0.2.png (889.85 KiB) Viewed 1009 times