by Staffs » Post

Dont get it i will try later
I love mods :D

cisoun
GitHub: cisoun
IRC: cisoun
In-game: cisoun

by cisoun » Post

Man you should program portals (like in the game) with all these teleporters!
Not here for a while due to some troubles between my graphic card and Minetest.
Cisoun's Texture Pack | The Conifers Mod (deprecated) | Faenza icons for Minetest |
Website

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

It would be hard then there should be a gun too and currently the teleports are programmed just not to work like that

cisoun

by cisoun » Post

No, it would be easy. No guns needed!

Just craft two portals then assign them by right click and write something like this : "<portal_name>,<portal_assigned>"
So, when the player goes through the first portal, just memorize his acceleration and teleport him to the second portal. Then, when the player comes out the second portal, just adapt the player's acceleration with the orientation of the second portal.

IMO, it would work almost like the actual teleporter. It just needs a second teleporter and the player's acceleration must be adapted with the position of the second teleporter, otherwise the player will fall straight to the ground (which actually happens).
Cisoun's Texture Pack | The Conifers Mod (deprecated) | Faenza icons for Minetest |
Website

jachoo

by jachoo » Post

Hello after quite long break ;)

I'd merged placki's version and... I've added cool new teleport system (as cisoun suggested - they now work like PORTALS :D)

How it works? First, place 2 teleports somewhere. Second, connect them mutually. Third, try them :)

The best effect is when you place 2 'flying' horizontal teleports and jump from large altitude onto one :)

To make it working you must add this line to minetest.conf:
crafted_teleports = 2
There are some weird bugs so we need more testing! Placki, please try upgrading your server :)

placki

by placki » Post

Server updated to d7e859a.

cisoun

by cisoun » Post

jachoo: AWESOME!! Good work man!!

The only thing is, when the player is teleported, he spawns in front of the second teleporter. You should rotate him in the way that the second teleporter is behind him when he spawns.
Otherwise, setting up the correct positions on the teleporters is pretty annoying but it's so awesome that I don't care!

I'm out to fap to this now.
Website

jachoo

by jachoo » Post

cisoun, strange, it should work as you say... Maybe you walked into the teleport from behind it? Setting correct speed and camera orientation is not so trivial, especially that server don't know from where you walked into that teleport (for now, server assumes that you always walk from front of the teleport)

--------
Oh, I forgot to say that I'd changed a little font in the game (for better readability on light background)
Last edited by jachoo on Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

placki

by placki » Post

I noticed wrong orientation bug too, it happens when you fall into horizontal teleport on a floor and leave through vertical teleport on a wall. I guess in that case player should always leave with his back to wall teleport. Example of this is in "long jump competition" on pyramid (near top, outside) on placki server.

There are still some things to discuss about teleports, this is result of brief conversation with jachoo:
1) If teleports are paired/looped like portals then maybe view at destination should be displayed? But this would be <b>very</b> cpu expensive for client and this is not a portal game. - so most likely NO.

2) Teleports (in survivor only?) should have small (maybe 1%) malfunction chance, if malfunction happens player would be teleported to random free space (in discovered territory), including other clan territory and of course places above lava or 500 units above ground :P - big YES for now, unless somebody can give reason not to :D

Teleport is very powerful and fastest way to travel, so it should be very expensive and rare. But how exactly should they work?
New server config option "crafted_teleports" can have following values:
0 - all teleports do not work.
1 - teleport work as long as destination has been discovered by any player and has free space (air or similar)
2 - requires 1 and also destination should contain teleport that points back to origin - this is simply teleport pair==loop of 2 teleports.
3 or more - there can be 3 or more teleports set up in loop. For 4 this means there can be A->B->C->D->A. or A->B->C->A. or A->B->A.
Options 2+ require player to enter coordinates carefully, and allow easy targeting of other clan territory - if other clan cooperates and places return/loop teleport. No need to temporary allow other players into clan for teleport setting.

Some other suggested solutions are:
3) Maybe teleport should work as long as there is any teleport at destination, and loops are not necessary - this allows multiple teleports to target single (possibly inactive) teleport. This also allows teleporting into other clan teleport without restrictions (as long as you know where it is).

4) similar to 3) but with restrictions for teleporting to other clan territory. Player must be member of *target clan* at the time he places teleport. Player then could be removed from target clan, but built teleport would still be working for everybody (as long as it is not changed). This would require server to disallow building/targeting teleports to "hostile" clans. This also means that if somebody builds working teleport targeting unowned territory and then territory is claimed by some clan they can have unwelcome visitors (only if they place own teleport close enough to existing target site - very low chance).

5) similar to 3) but disallow teleporting to other clan areas if player is not a member. If you want to teleport into clan XYZ territory you have to be member of XYZ.

Please feel free to comment these ideas and to add your own.
Last edited by placki on Fri Nov 11, 2011 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

jachoo wrote:Hello after quite long break ;)

I'd merged placki's version and... I've added cool new teleport system (as cisoun suggested - they now work like PORTALS :D)

How it works? First, place 2 teleports somewhere. Second, connect them mutually. Third, try them :)

The best effect is when you place 2 'flying' horizontal teleports and jump from large altitude onto one :)

To make it working you must add this line to minetest.conf:
crafted_teleports = 2
There are some weird bugs so we need more testing! Placki, please try upgrading your server :)
*Second connect them mutually how is that ? how will it work ? I need more specific instructions so i can try it :/

placki

by placki » Post

Staffs wrote:*Second connect them mutually how is that ? how will it work ? I need more specific instructions so i can try it :/
for example:
Build teleport A at 10,20,30 and teleport B at -23,-34,-45.
To connect/pair them you need to type "-23,-34,-45" as target for teleport A and "10,20,30" as target for teleport B.
Example of what jachoo said is visible at "placek" server:
There is high ladder near pyramid, if you jump into portal/teleport below you will exit flying up from other teleport - and will continue flying/jumping in "portal" fashion.
And nearby, near top of pyramid (outside) there are several teleports: if you fall into some, you will teleport higher and accelerate, after several loops you will have high speed. And due to lag you will finally fall out of that loop and get into teleport below, which will translate your vertical speed into horizontal for "long jump competition".
Last edited by placki on Fri Nov 11, 2011 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

hijera

by hijera » Post

could someone build win32 version?

jachoo

by jachoo » Post

Last edited by jachoo on Fri Nov 11, 2011 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

Ok i just tried it .. Im out this is just too complicated for me. Very good work jachoo but it will be too hard for new players or players at all to underrstand this.... :/

hijera

by hijera » Post

whats about a bit easier system - just give every teleport id, so teleports with same id will be connected

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

Yeah that would be A LOT easier cause i just dont know the co-ords of every teleport :/

cisoun

by cisoun » Post

Yes, you better have to run the game in a terminal so when you put a teleporter somewhere, his correct position is printed in the output.
However, I agree the fact that teleporters should be connected by an ID otherwise it takes a lot of time to set them up correctly.
You should map the teleporters with their position in a vector or something like that so you can search a teleporter by it's position easily and then connect them to each others.
Website

jachoo

by jachoo » Post

We have to make decision. Possible options are:

1. General teleports. Teleport can aim any coords. When at the destination another teleport exists - it works like portal.
+ Very easy to use if you don't need portal features
+ General-purpose system. You can create everything you can imagine ;)
+ No need to introduce naming system for teleports
- By such teleports, player can get into hostile clan territory
- Hard and very uncomfortable to use if you want teleports work like portals or make two-way teleports

2. Paired two-way teleports. Each teleport pair has assigned unique ID.
+ The easiest to use
- Only two-way teleports permitted
- Impossible to make many teleports aim at one exit teleport
- Need to create naming system for teleports

3. Named teleports. Each teleport has two parameters. Its own name and name of destination teleport.
+ Compromise between 1. and 2
+ Almost general-purpose teleports (two-way and one-way portals)
+/- Less easy to use than 2., but still comfortable
- Need to create naming system for teleports

---------

I vote for 3 :)
Last edited by jachoo on Sat Nov 12, 2011 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

I like #3. A few suggestions: if the destination is a coordinate set, it behaves like #1; otherwise, it assumes the destination is a teleport label and it behaves like #3. And, an optional "locked" or "private" parameter that prevents other clans' teleports from linking to it.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

jachoo

by jachoo » Post

I've started to implement all this propositions (as an option in config file). Last chance to give me other suggestions :)
Last edited by jachoo on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

#3 is my vote

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

cisoun

by cisoun » Post

#3 ftw
Website

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

#3 <--

jachoo

by jachoo » Post

First, alpha version of teleport naming system is done.

When I was testing this, I got some weird errors... Please test it and report bugs.

Instructions:
1. Download latest source from github & compile
2. Add this lines to minetest.conf
teleport_allow_coords = 1
teleport_allow_oneway = 1
3. Run minetest and place somewhere few teleports. You have now 3 possibilities:
a) coords should work like before (unless teleport_allow_coords=0)
b) you can assign names to teleports (instead of coords you write just that name). Example: two teleports with name "myhouse" will be linked together.
c) you can define teleports name and destination separately (unless teleport_allow_oneway=0). Separator is "->". Example: write to teleport 1 text "->b", and to teleport 2 text "b->c", and to teleport 3 text "c->". Now they are linked in a sequence, where teleport 1 is only entrance, and teleport 2 is only exit.
4. Report bugs, please!

Enjoy!
Last edited by jachoo on Mon Nov 14, 2011 06:24, edited 1 time in total.