0.4.16 feature freeze, please help by testing

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

0.4.16 feature freeze, please help by testing

by paramat » Post

We entered feature freeze on 21st May, release is due on 4th June but that depends on any bugs that need fixing.

We need your help now to test the latest versions of MTEngine and MTGame.
The quality of the 0.4.16 release depends on this.
It would be helpful if you try out and test the new features we have added.

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

Re: 0.4.16 feature freeze, please help by testing

by Otter » Post

Glad to. Can you link to a windows build or the source I should try and build from?

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

sfan5 builds:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1523&start=575#p272819

Or watch this space until Krock releases a new MSVC build:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9515&start=175

lag01
GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Post

Compiled master branch and added it to my server, also took latest minetest_game.
Sneak feature seem really disabled, no way to climb two blocks as much as i tried.
Chest sounds are really scary, but it is not "core" part, i guess.

Otter

by Otter » Post

I have been using sfan5's minetest-0.4.15-4d5ce84-win64.7z
It had the label 4.15 so I was not sure how much main version and how much fork it might be. So far, the latest variation of it has been good. Running on Windows is not as stable as Linux by a long shot, so I expect to be able to find all sorts of issues though.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

I compiled master branch of minetest and minetest_game from github
and set up a testserver. Mapgen v7 without any mods.
If someone wants to try out without compiling himself.
Server is not in the server list !

gundul.ddnss.de
Port 39155

lag01

by lag01 » Post

Gundul wrote:I compiled master branch of minetest and minetest_game from github

gundul.ddnss.de
Port 39155
What specs your server have? When i set 40 carts to spin on powerrail, it became quite unresponsive.
I wonder where bottleneck is...

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Bad news from noob mikie here....
I loaded sfans latest build, which plays great btw, more testing to do.
'However, as a server, it sucks pant antlers. Badly.
Te server was running great for 20 minutes, then became unresponsive to the point where there was no error, just total game freeze. I was running a custom subgame, that may be the culprit, however the server locked up so bad, when I went to switch back to the last server i was using, the map locked up and I was not able to use due to a DB change of somesorts. WOW.

I will try to return actual errors on a test map to see what the problem was, I have never seen this before, so BEWARE, if you are migrating an old map to the new engine it may give you grief.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

u18398

by u18398 » Post

lag01 wrote:

gundul.ddnss.de
Port 39155
What specs your server have? When i set 40 carts to spin on powerrail, it became quite unresponsive.
Is that a new feature of minetest .16 having spinning around 40 carts in one mapblock ? :)

lag01

by lag01 » Post

Gundul wrote:
lag01 wrote:

gundul.ddnss.de
Port 39155
Is that a new feature of minetest .16 having spinning around 40 carts in one mapblock ? :)
Oh no no. I am just wrote it little awkward, it was looped railroad :)
By the way, mapblock is 16x16x16 nodes, so yes, correct, "in one mapblock" :D

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The last time I checked, the advanced settings menu was badly broken and failed sometimes when I changed a setting with a drop-down menu inside.

Otter

by Otter » Post

Only one issue so far. Apart from that the new build seems pretty stable so far. In windows, the screen opens at the same size as it was set before, that part is great. A small issue with it is that two screens it does not remember the screen it was used on and goes to the default in windows. If the default is smaller, then you have an oversized screen to try and find a handle on and move.

Even flying fast over terrain seems stable on windows now.

As far as game play goes, In the default game, I am not sure bronze is worth it. In exchange for dealing with two ores and three ingot types you get half again longer use of a tool. As far as clicks and returning to furnaces to check on results, iron ends up taking less time and filling up less space. Going straight from steel to diamond is more convenient unless you have had bad luck finding iron.

The only crashes I have managed to get have required mods to create. (Mine_it_all likes to blow up if you are close to a large mass that is falling.)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I take the chance of reminding you of some old bugs:
  1. You can corrupt minetest.conf by setting font_path to nonsense value in advanced settings (Minetest can't be started anymore when this happens) (issue 4095)
  2. Depth sorting is broken (issue 95). This is our third-oldest issue!
  3. disable_jump does not work correctly when sneaking is disabled (issue 2774)
  4. Subgame banners get invisible on a 16:9 screen (issue 2262)
  5. Advanced settings ignore float boundaries (issue 4268)
  6. Blocks become dark in inventory after long playing (issue 4876)
Look on the issue tracker, I just posted a few new bugs as well. Issue 5834 is important.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

maikerumine wrote:Bad news from noob mikie here....
I loaded sfans latest build, which plays great btw, more testing to do.
'However, as a server, it sucks pant antlers. Badly.
Te server was running great for 20 minutes, then became unresponsive to the point where there was no error, just total game freeze. I was running a custom subgame, that may be the culprit, however the server locked up so bad, when I went to switch back to the last server i was using, the map locked up and I was not able to use due to a DB change of somesorts. WOW.
I will try to return actual errors on a test map to see what the problem was, I have never seen this before, so BEWARE, if you are migrating an old map to the new engine it may give you grief.
You should provide much more info, I have impression that you run out of memory or disk space but that's just speculation, minetest usually should crash if something is wrong (to desktop or lua), also, subgame itself may be outdated and could contain some bugs that caused this. BTW, use 64bit builds. There were map format changes lately, so if you go to old versions - map will not load.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

> when I went to switch back to the last server i was using, the map locked up and I was not able to use due to a DB change of somesorts. WOW.

Yes expected, there was a map format increase recently which means once you use a world in a server on a recent verison of MT you cannot then use that world in a server on an older version of MT. There have been 2 format increases during 0.4.15dev.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

lag01 wrote:Sneak feature seem really disabled, no way to climb two blocks as much as i tried.
See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17397 there are 2 ways to reactivate the old sneak behaviour.

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Post

Hello everyone. I tested the latest Sfan build. With Minetest 0.4.16 you did a great job. Chunk generation is now faster, with no uncertainty. The game is better optimized, now if the R is active to increase the view there is no lag and runs all in fluid way. I want to thoroughly test this release, but at the moment I was pleasantly surprised. Improvements to the gaming engine are there, even lighting has been improved (no bugs of dark blocks with no light right?). I generated about 20 maps and did not find the underground spawn bug. I really enjoyed the new dirt (rainforest) that is generated only in the jungle. The new month torch I find very useful and cute, combined with the classic torch is an addition I appreciate a lot. The new animated chest is beautiful, the sound is very strange: D

The only bug I found at the moment: When I open the inventory for the first time, it flashes for 2 seconds and then stops and no longer has this bug for the whole game.

90% of the work was done on the game engine! This is a good thing, because now Minetest seems to have improved a lot. Thanks to the whole community.
Last edited by LordStephen77 on Sun May 28, 2017 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes, I have to agree. A lot of interesting new features and important bugfixes this time.

I am glad for the sneaking fixes light fixes, bugfixes everywhere :D and I am looking forwards to the new Lua API features such as “fine pointing” or easier player metadata storage, or that you can adjust item descriptions.

Those are a lot of features which will be very useful for a lot of my mods and also my subgame MineClone 2.

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Post

I just found a fence bug! Now they no longer create cross-union. Did the nodes change? I hope that everything comes back as before, so it's a step back, it makes no sense. Minetest 0.4.16 needs in-depth testing, I do not want to find similar problems when I build.

Glass pane: Do not tie the knots if I use the glass pane for ceiling. It remains the cross-shaped block and does not connect the glass.

I hope I was helpful. Thanks for all.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Must be a link for 0.4.16 to test. And i like usually to download ready releases

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

I don't know if this is a server problem, but when I attempt to place a block in someone's protected area on the Jungle server, it does what it should do (drop the stack in players hand and warn them the area is owned) but then Minetest just crashes. Gone. No disconnect or error. Just gone.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Note: this is an "issue" in 0.4.15 stable too
Player nametags with color escapes (minetest.colorize) are aligned incorrectly, haven't done a lot of testing but it seems fairly arbitrary.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Wuzzy

Need more translators

by Wuzzy » Post

@All: Please help translating Minetest before release! Minetest is in urgent need of translation updates. Only 4 languages are currently at 100% completion.
If you want to help, to to https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/minetest/minetest/, get yourselves and account and start translating!

@kaadmy: Report bugs into GitHub whenever possible. Even when obscure. Unless you already did report it, of course. ;-)
Last edited by Wuzzy on Tue May 30, 2017 21:48, edited 2 times in total.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: Need more translators

by GreenXenith » Post

Wuzzy wrote:@All: Please help translating Minetest before release! Minetest is in urgent need of translation updates. Only 4 languages are currently at 100% completion.
If you want to help, to to https://hosted.weblate.org/translate/minetest/minetest/, get yourselves and account and start translating!
a) The link is broke
b) Can we just use Google Translate to do it even if we don't know the language?
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

red-001
GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

Re: Need more translators

by red-001 » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:@All: Please help translating Minetest before release! Minetest is in urgent need of translation updates. Only 4 languages are currently at 100% completion.
If you want to help, to to https://hosted.weblate.org/translate/minetest/minetest/, get yourselves and account and start translating!
a) The link is broke
b) Can we just use Google Translate to do it even if we don't know the language?
a) https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/minetest/minetest/
b) No, google translate is too inaccurate for that