[Game] Dungeontest (very WIP)

Glorfindel
GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

Re: [Game] Dungeontest (very WIP)

by Glorfindel » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:My personal opinion: Make it so everything is dig-able and etc, but disable crafting of picks or something, that way it would be like in nethack: if you find a pick or mattock, you can dig down to the next level, but if not you have to go through the one you are on.

And I would prefer it the way it is right now, you start this world and go on a quest through the dungeons, i.e. dungeons not "rare" at all.
If dungeons aren't rare, then you lose all the other underground activities that the other mods give you (mining, underground realms, caves, ores, goblins, etc. ) Dungeon rarity should be a configurable parameter so the player gets as much dungeon as they want and no more.
Yes, I understood that, but personally, I would rather build in one world and do dungeon exploring on a completely different one.
Again, this is just my opinion ;)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Neuromancer i'm not interested in working on a mod similar to this, my only interest is in dungeon generation methods and this uses a fairly regular grid generation which doesn't interest me.

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Glorfindel wrote: Yes, I understood that, but personally, I would rather build in one world and do dungeon exploring on a completely different one.
Again, this is just my opinion ;)
I get where you're coming from, I think there are going to be folks like you that want a more focused experience, and people like me that want a rich and varied world where we can experiment with different mods and create interesting experiences. That's why I suggest using DungeonTest both ways by making the rarity configurable. As Ferk stated, because the dungeons are 5x5xinfinite depth, it is definitely possible to allow for any rarity of dungeons including infinite which is your preference.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

paramat wrote:Neuromancer i'm not interested in working on a mod similar to this, my only interest is in dungeon generation methods and this uses a fairly regular grid generation which doesn't interest me.
That makes sense based on your like for natural, chaotic, fractal, map generation. Though I can see why Ferk went this route. He's focused on gameplay, interesting puzzles, and community created rooms, and had he chosen a less regular pattern it definitely would have complicated things if not made them impossible. I like both kinds of dungeons. But this fills a glaring need of Minetest, fun gameplay. I think that Terraria could teach us a lot about fun gameplay, but DungeonTest dungeons are much more fun than Terriaria dungeons by a long shot. If he does manage to turn this into a Modpack, I can't imagine a world I would create without it going forward. Plus I think it will be great fun to attempt to create challenging rooms of my own.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

I created my first room. It may need some tweaks.
Attachments
Marquis.zip
Room - Marquis
(2.87 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

Do you plan to continue the development of this? The reason I ask is because I have been thinking of doing something with a roguelike/dungeon theme myself but do not want to step on any toes or compete with an existing project.

While this has got a few issues in it's current state, I think it is a very good start with a great deal of potential.

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

I plan to continue working on this, but at the moment it's in a dormant state. I'm busy with some things IRL.

But I don't think it would be a problem if you wanted to make your own implementation or if you like the design and wanted to join and help me with it, together we might be able to make a better dungeon than separate.
What ideas did you have in mind?
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

Ferk wrote:I plan to continue working on this, but at the moment it's in a dormant state. I'm busy with some things IRL.

But I don't think it would be a problem if you wanted to make your own implementation or if you like the design and wanted to join and help me with it, together we might be able to make a better dungeon than separate.
What ideas did you have in mind?
Well, I was rather hoping you might say that, you may have noticed that I already made a fork. Like yourself, I also have RL commitments that limit the amount of time I can spend on these things.

There is not a great deal I would want to change, I really like your solution to the perma-death problem. What I would like to experiment with is a more random level generation for better re-playability, though the custom rooms could still be used as special 'quest' type rooms, or 'boss' levels.

Something I have noticed when playing are a lot of ABM warnings, it is difficult to tell whether or not they have an impact on gameplay but perhaps some of these can be replaced by the new LBM's, I have not really had time to study the code.

btw, you might want to add my new 3d_armor_stand mod, maybe even an 'animated' one ;-)

linushsao
IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Post

a little question,why i could only dig,buy could'nt put down anything?

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

linushsao wrote:a little question,why i could only dig,buy could'nt put down anything?
This game is not like minetest_game. Game play is very different. Building and mining are not a part of the game play.

The game is still a work in progress as the title suggests. It is meant as an adventure type game instead of a minetest_game like game. The goal(goals not completed yet) will be to make it to the end of the dungeon maze. Each level gets harder. I know Ferk had a few ideas for advancing to the next level but they are not done yet.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

linushsao
IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Post

Don wrote:
linushsao wrote:a little question,why i could only dig,buy could'nt put down anything?
This game is not like minetest_game. Game play is very different. Building and mining are not a part of the game play.

The game is still a work in progress as the title suggests. It is meant as an adventure type game instead of a minetest_game like game. The goal(goals not completed yet) will be to make it to the end of the dungeon maze. Each level gets harder. I know Ferk had a few ideas for advancing to the next level but they are not done yet.
Don,tks for you explaination,the game is amazing,wish it could be released.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Hi, I think you should update the HUD bars mod since currently the HUD bars are displayed incorrectly (probably because of an old bug in the mod, sorry).

Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Hi, I think you should update the HUD bars mod since currently the HUD bars are displayed incorrectly (probably because of an old bug in the mod, sorry).
Thanks for the heads up. I'll get to it on the weekend.

EDIT: Did it.
I also changed the room spawning to use the new LBMs and fixed some warnings. No big additions other than that though.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

i hope you continue working on this it's so cool!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

the_raven_262
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: [Discord unfortunately] corvus262

by the_raven_262 » Post

I, the great necromancer, am resurrecting this topic from the dead for one purpose only.
To ask its own creator of the progress of this subgame, and to say that I quite like it.

Ferk

by Ferk » Post

AAaaAghhhhrr....

Sorry, there's not much movement on the project. I changed job and had to stop working on it for a while, after that it had lost the momentum.
I probably should start working on it again but I'm not sure what changes would best improve the gameplay. At the time I halted I was thinking on adding a way to design the entire level and not just the individual rooms, for things like special levels and so. But I'm not convinced about this being an improvement.

I saw there's better animation support now for sprites in the engine, maybe I could use that to include more enemies. I'm not good at 3D modelling but I could work with sprites.

the_raven_262
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: [Discord unfortunately] corvus262

by the_raven_262 » Post

Special levels in dungeon like games tend to be empty big rooms with one boss enemy, maybe make special levels like that?
Also i think many mods have models that you could use (I myself am also bad in modeling, perhaps because i never really put much effort into it), most of the mods that depend on mobs_redo have nice models.
I doubt sprites would do, the time of doom-like games has passed long ago (except for some of us who still play them).
Overall, this is one of those subgames that I found to be really fun, even from the first time I played it, I can say that this game is based on one great idea!

Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Yes, that's what I meant, special levels with a bigger room. But as I said, I'm not sure if this would improve the gameplay.
The main problem is that while the first time you explore the game is fun, it soon becomes very repetitive. Special levels won't change that, they will be sort of hardcoded, so I'm not sure if this would really improve on that. Once you have found a special room, finding another one of the same type would look the same.

I'm open to suggestions to improve the replayability. I was thinking on sprite monsters because it'd be easy to make resources for them so more monsters could be done than the handful that there are available as 3d model in minetest. There are some modern indie roguelike games in similar spirit as what I wanted to achieve in Dungeontest that use billboard sprites (eg. Delver, One more Dungeon).

Traditional roguelikes can get away with repetition by providing huge amounts of content (see for example the huge list of insects or undead from DCSS, not to count variability in the items), which combined with the random generation makes every match feel different. So maybe making it as easy as possible to produce content would help.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

happy to see your project is not dead!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Looks good! Going to try this out.
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

This happens a lot :/
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

roboto
GitHub: NewbProgrammer101
In-game: akoek

by roboto » Post

One request. Please allow construction on the surface! It'll be more fun.

I added mg_villages to the subgame and it worked well, I would love this subgame if it included a focus on the surface as well!

kingoscargames
GitHub: kingoscargames
In-game: kingoscargames

by kingoscargames » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:This happens a lot :/
I don't think this works like it should with the latest engine version :/

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

by JiCeyCraft » Post

kingoscargames wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:This happens a lot :/
I don't think this works like it should with the latest engine version :/
DO NOT TRY with 0.4.13
BUT!....
Works fine with 0.4.15

:D Enjoy!
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

roboto
GitHub: NewbProgrammer101
In-game: akoek

by roboto » Post

Hm, this awesome subgame isn't getting much activity. :/