The problem with minecarts

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

The problem with minecarts

by v-rob » Post

Default minecarts have a few problems, problems that they share with all other minecart mods (to my knowledge).

> First of all is the fact that minecarts don't collide. This is rather annoying.
> Minecarts can't hitch together.
> The uphill rails look terrible. They should always have a solid bottom.
> Tracks can connect to uphill rails sideways.
> Put a minecart on a track and dig the node beneath them. The track falls, but the minecart does not. This can be used to make ladders that are an alternative to sneak ladders, but these are just as bad.

These are problems. Now for suggestions.
> Add one-way rail
> Add rails that keep the minecart at a constant speed.
> Lastly, make it compatible with hoppers. Using the Extractor mod (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16728&hilit=hoppers) or Facedeer's hoppers (https://github.com/minetest-mods/hopper/), items can be dropped into the minecart, which picks them up once it starts.. A hopper underneath the rails of a stationary minecart should be able to take things out of it. Picking up the minecart doesn't do any good; the dropped items don't get sucked up. Hoppers would be able to make a semi-automatic transport system. All it would need are players who start/ride the minecarts, and hoppers would do the rest.

pics: http://imgur.com/a/AoZfO
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: The problem with minecarts

by paramat » Post

Deleted post.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

If you that more people pay attention to your sugerences, do an issue in the Github page of the default Minetest subgame:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game
Just write what you want to change or sugerences and the devs will think about it and maybe they will add it, nothing is for sure though.
Have a nice day! :D

theFox
GitHub: theFox6
In-game: theFox

by theFox » Post

my mods and subgames (ง'̀-'́)ง

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

v-rob wrote:The uphill rails look terrible. They should always have a solid bottom.
Nah, they look good. In fact people use them as decorative bond to heaps of wood and hay.
v-rob wrote:This can be used to make ladders that are an alternative to sneak ladders, but these are just as bad.
I wouldn't say they're just as bad. They're much more expensive, harder to build and slower. I don't think people would use them to cheat when mining as much as they used sneak ladders. At this point, legal staircases and water elevators may be a better choice for them anyways. I would rather see small ladders made of a couple carts at homes and parkour playgrounds.
A single cart at the bottom of a shaft lets you avoid the fall damage but you have to click it before you hit the ground. It's not like the sneak glitch where you could apply a brick to your shift and spacebar keys and go make some coffee while your avatar falls thousands nodes almost certainly safely. And to make it work, you need to be there first and put the cart there so you can't cheat while exploring or trying someone else's shaft.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

v-rob wrote:Put a minecart on a track and dig the node beneath them. The track falls, but the minecart does not.
This is a problem which shouldn't be there anyway.
v-rob wrote:This can be used to make ladders that are an alternative to sneak ladders, but these are just as bad
Well... why don't you just use an actual ladder instead? They're far easier to make anyway and work better.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

kaadmy wrote:This is a problem which shouldn't be there anyway.
Why? It does no harm and is kinda fun.
kaadmy wrote:Well... why don't you just use an actual ladder instead? They're far easier to make anyway and work better.
Agreed.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

about the cart colliding, it shouldn't be very hard... i'm sure they will accept some pull request!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

About any problems you should post in Bugs and Problems subforum.