[POLL] How many do people play Minetest?

How many do gamers play Minetest?

1000 [maybe less]
32%
10000 [probably]
58%
100000+
6%
1000000++
No votes
I don`t think about it
3%

Total votes: 31

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

[POLL] How many do people play Minetest?

by Andrey01 » Post

What do you think about it? You can approximately say it here!
Last edited by Andrey01 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

MineYoshi

Re: [POLL] How many do gamers play Minetest?

by MineYoshi » Post

I would rather change the title of this topic to "[POLL]How many people play Minetest", since when you play Minetest you're already a "Gamer".
The number of players is over 10.000 and it's certainly growing everyday.
Have a nice day! :D

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

It depends on what you call "playing".
I think:
  • testing or being involved in development : 200
  • playing every day or nearly : 2,000
  • playing sometimes : 15,000
  • have played once : 500,000
I know in my circle at least 2 people that have played Minetest independently from me.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

My guess is that the number of regular players is somewhere between 1000 and 10000, but I tend towards 10000. This is based on the number of people playing online right now (ca. 200, which is quite astonishing for a free software) and the registered forum accounts with at least 1 post (ca. 5759).

BTW: The options are somewhat biased. ;-)

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

MineYoshi wrote:I would rather change the title of this topic to "[POLL]How many people play Minetest", since when you play Minetest you're already a "Gamer".
The number of players is over 10.000 and it's certainly growing everyday.
I meant it. Every gamer that play Minetest. I think amount if players is 1000000+ as many servers are full by them. Furthermore i see every time new and new players. Also the forum essentially is growing.

Andrey01

Re: [POLL] How many do people play Minetest?

by Andrey01 » Post

The name of the topic is renamed!

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Active players, on an everyday basis ... 500-1000 I guess.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:Active players, on an everyday basis ... 500-1000 I guess.
Maybe. Totally players are near 100000 and maybe more.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

sfan5 uploaded the master serverlist calls with the timespam of 10 days (end date=170317) which gives a little insight of how many times the "Multiplayer / Client" tab was clicked.
https://kitsunemimi.pw/tmp/serverlist_s ... -03-17.txt
These are quite many people but we can't tell how many different players there actually are. Someone might click get the serverlist 20 times without joining a server, while another person only plays in singleplayer worlds.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

As of Jan 9, 2015, roughly 1 million or more accounts are logged in and playing minecraft at any given time. -Nathan Adams
After 2 years, I would suspect that number has increased to somewhere around 2,000,000.

Assuming the stats are correct, that is about 2,000,000 playing Minetest servers alone. Accounting for all those singleplayers out there, that number could be bumped up to around 2.5M or 3M. This means that Minetest has more players than Minecraft, or if we account for players possibly getting the serverlist more than once, we could keep it around 2M or 2.5M which still equals or surpasses Minecraft... somehow I suspect something with my math is wrong...

And then of course there is this that says Minecraft has sold ~26.3M PC/Mac Editions thus far. Of course, I would not be surprised if a lot of those are people with multiple accounts or something... point is thats a helluva lot of sales.

And if that wasn't enough sales for you, heres this.
As of February 2017, over 121 million copies have been sold across all platforms
That's a lot of sales. Which pretty much kills my earlier reasoning, but it was nice to hope. But still... that's a lot of Minetest players.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

RWЯ
GitHub: DreamCrusher
IRC: DabbetulArz
In-game: Hood

by RWЯ » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
As of Jan 9, 2015, roughly 1 million or more accounts are logged in and playing minecraft at any given time. -Nathan Adams
After 2 years, I would suspect that number has increased to somewhere around 2,000,000.

Assuming the stats are correct, that is about 2,000,000 playing Minetest servers alone. Accounting for all those singleplayers out there, that number could be bumped up to around 2.5M or 3M. This means that Minetest has more players than Minecraft, or if we account for players possibly getting the serverlist more than once, we could keep it around 2M or 2.5M which still equals or surpasses Minecraft... somehow I suspect something with my math is wrong...

And then of course there is this that says Minecraft has sold ~26.3M PC/Mac Editions thus far. Of course, I would not be surprised if a lot of those are people with multiple accounts or something... point is thats a helluva lot of sales.

And if that wasn't enough sales for you, heres this.
As of February 2017, over 121 million copies have been sold across all platforms
That's a lot of sales. Which pretty much kills my earlier reasoning, but it was nice to hope. But still... that's a lot of Minetest players.
There is around +10k which are permanent players, and others are just mostly bots, kids who join in server from another copyed client of minetest ( multicraft, miner ...etc ) with random name and random password, which play on server 5 min and never come back again.
If I feel it then I do it (I don’t need a reason why)

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

It can`t Minetest players amount increase Minecraft ones. Maybe it happens for other Minetest-like games as Multicraft and other. But even those games can not increase the number of players and do more than in mc.

RWЯ

by RWЯ » Post

Andrey01 wrote:It can`t Minetest players amount increase Minecraft ones. Maybe it happens for other Minetest-like games as Multicraft and other. But even those games can not increase the number of players and do more than in mc.

Minecraft is number one game in list of number of players, why would you compare it with mintest ?

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

RWЯ wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:It can`t Minetest players amount increase Minecraft ones. Maybe it happens for other Minetest-like games as Multicraft and other. But even those games can not increase the number of players and do more than in mc.

Minecraft is number one game in list of number of players, why would you compare it with mintest ?
Near 500 peoples play in Minetest servers at the same time. I don`t know how many ones usually play in Minecraft servers as i used to play there long ago.

RWЯ

by RWЯ » Post

Andrey01 wrote:
RWЯ wrote:

Near 500 peoples play in Minetest servers at the same time. I don`t know how many ones usually play in Minecraft servers as i used to play there long ago.
Biggest minecraft server i had play on has 10k players only whole day