+1 button

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

+1 button

by ABJ » Post

I've read complaints about +1 post. So I recommend this.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: +1 button

by Andrey01 » Post

Hmm... i don`t understand what you created the topic for. About '+1' number nobody forbad to use). This is standard note of something good.

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Well, some very influential people seem to feel that +1 posts are shitposting. And I'm working on the assumption that they're right.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

ABJ wrote:Well, some very influential people seem to feel that +1 posts are shitposting. And I'm working on the assumption that they're right.
"This isn't Facebook or Reddit".
Have a nice day! :D

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

But we have to show our support! And then asking people to waste bytes writing filler is nonsensical - we NEED a +1 button.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Most other forums have "+1" kind of buttons. They even have "-1" buttons. Therefore, I think this forum needs it too.

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

+1

No, seriously, I'd like this feature a lot. I was always taught not to post off-topic (such as saying "good job" on the screenshot thread without also posting a screenshot), so I'm uncomfortable making a post to just say "+1".
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

the forum really miss a like button, maybe not a +1 but a little thumbs up or a heart... +1 :D
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

+1

(dammit, duane got there first)
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

duane wrote:+1

No, seriously, I'd like this feature a lot. I was always taught not to post off-topic (such as saying "good job" on the screenshot thread without also posting a screenshot), so I'm uncomfortable making a post to just say "+1".
Exactly this.

Sometimes you may feel the need to simply say "thank you" or "nice" without bumping or "spamming" the thread or the user's inbox.

Let the kids compete for who has the most "likes" if they want. I don't care about that, but it's annoying that topics get buried down the active topics list because somebody went on a "+1" or "xD" rampage.

P.S: I have 2154 posts, ph33r me.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

When we want to express our feelings about a thing, without wasting time, energy, and Celeron's sacred bytes, people complain that we're spamming and shitposting and merely trying to increase our post count, and, most outrageously, that we. Are/ Wasting. Celeron's. What we're trying to save! They are not content with making short and concise posts, and then when we lengthen it, God knows if they won't start to complain under another name. I hate to say anything against these people, as most of them turn out to be hardworking devs and mods merely to increase their work stress, and this is why we need this feature, NOW! This is a forum, and we need to express our opinions, and I'm not letting anything stand in the way of that, if I can help it.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

ABJ wrote:When we want to express our feelings about a thing, without wasting time, energy, and Celeron's sacred bytes, people complain that we're spamming and shitposting and merely trying to increase our post count, and, most outrageously, that we. Are/ Wasting. Celeron's. What we're trying to save! They are not content with making short and concise posts, and then when we lengthen it, God knows if they won't start to complain under another name. I hate to say anything against these people, as most of them turn out to be hardworking devs and mods merely to increase their work stress, and this is why we need this feature, NOW! This is a forum, and we need to express our opinions, and I'm not letting anything stand in the way of that, if I can help it.
+1

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

BBmine wrote:
ABJ wrote:When we want to express our feelings about a thing, without wasting time, energy, and Celeron's sacred bytes, people complain that we're spamming and shitposting and merely trying to increase our post count, and, most outrageously, that we. Are/ Wasting. Celeron's. What we're trying to save! They are not content with making short and concise posts, and then when we lengthen it, God knows if they won't start to complain under another name. I hate to say anything against these people, as most of them turn out to be hardworking devs and mods merely to increase their work stress, and this is why we need this feature, NOW! This is a forum, and we need to express our opinions, and I'm not letting anything stand in the way of that, if I can help it.
+1
Demn we really need a button.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Such a button might be a very good idea. Beeing able to thank other posters for something (i.e. a nice screenshot or a long, thoughtful posting, or a nice mod, or running a server, or whatever) would be very nice. I'm afraid it won't really reduce spam, and there might be forum users out there who'll approve of spam postings, but in general it ought to help a bit.
A list of my mods can be found here.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Sokomine wrote:Such a button might be a very good idea. Beeing able to thank other posters for something (i.e. a nice screenshot or a long, thoughtful posting, or a nice mod, or running a server, or whatever) would be very nice. I'm afraid it won't really reduce spam, and there might be forum users out there who'll approve of spam postings, but in general it ought to help a bit.
+1
Now see, if we had that feature, I woudn't've said +1, I would've just click the +1 button.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

The admins are not giving one, really, if there's people out there who doesn't care about a "+1 button" are the admins.
Cry like little babies, they won't hear you.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I don't support it. +1/-1 systems are always biased because too many people acts like sheep, pushing "+1" when something has many "+1", and "-1" when it has many "-1", without even knowing why. That's what happens in Facebook and Twitter, and one of the numerous reasons why I'm not on neither of the two. It doesn't show the real popularity of something. I've seen similar YouTube videos that have totally different ratings.
Another reason : If there aren't +1/-1, that will encourage people to say why they agree, or not, which is much more interesting than a note based on the quantity of people.

I know it's very trendy, some people might consider this forum as an "inferior" one because it has no +1/-1, but sometimes we should think a little about it before adding things just because they are popular at the moment.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Sometimes I hear complaints about wasting C55's bytes, other times I hear complaints about too short posts. But we must show our support, and the reason why we agree may not always need to be stated. Also, Gael de Sailly, I think you're overthinking. To my knowledge, we create discussion boards not to read people's minds, but to provide an environment where they can express what we can reasonably judge to be their opinion. Think of all the scientific studies that are done on people - do the scientists read minds? No, but they judge.

AspireMint
GitHub: AspireMint
IRC: AspireMint
In-game: AspireMint

by AspireMint » Post

I agree with Gael de Sailly's post.
Maybe add [heart] button for threads, might be usefull for server threads.
Sokomine wrote:--snip--
I'm afraid it won't really reduce spam, and there might be forum users out there who'll approve of spam postings
--snip--
+1/-1 = more power for spammers, maybe add [spam] button, so we can easily report spammers/spam post.
For now im using own script for blocking big/annoying signatures and some users (spammers/trolls).
No more spam when im on PC. Yay.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

the reeport system should maybe have more categories :/

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

AspireMint, can you read this post?

Spammers could always create sympathizer alts to flood the forum with "justice for xxx" crap. Anyway, I never intended this button to have any connection with moderation of the post.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

^^^^ yup

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

I was thinking recently, isn't this a message board to start? This "PhpBB" thing is supposed to be a system where you can talk freely using only "text", kind of much likely a discussion where everybody gives their opinion and etc... This isn't supposed to be something likely "Facebook" where someone says something and you decide to agree or disagree through the use of "punctuation buttons"; this is a message board.

I'm starting to understand why the admins still don't give one about a "punctuation sytem".

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

All right. But please tell the devs not to complain about bytes. Since we gonna have to take up more of them to make "reasonable" posts.

If you're asking, not posting is out of the question.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

ABJ wrote:All right. But please tell the devs not to complain about bytes. Since we gonna have to take up more of them to make "reasonable" posts.

If you're asking, not posting is out of the question.
I suppose that the best way to recalcitrate against this tyrant admins is to make long posts so far, when longer more bites takes and more bandwidth is taken, so you'd know. When the posts are being long the admins don't have a single chance of complaining about known as "bites" since we're doing that thing they define as "good content" in this message board, and then they just have to shut up; simply as that.

I just want to emphasize the correct use of a message board since many of you are seeking for options that are out of the purpose and reason of "being" of a message board for making people don't "shitpost"; simply hiding the post count won't do a single thing rather than just making users don't compete for the "bigger post count", but the "shitposting" still will be there. The best solution so far is to start to educate your posters and make strict rules about what you'd want and you don't want in this forum so everybody knows in what rules they can play by, this is a message board where everybody apports their opinion about certain topic and discuss about it.