ANNOUNCE: "THE VALLEYS" Server

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

ANNOUNCE: "THE VALLEYS" Server

by redblade7 » Post

A few days ago started a new server, "THE VALLEYS".

Name: THE VALLEYS
IP: animine.org
Port: 54000

Web site: https://animine.org/
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/hcNfrHq

(Yes, that is the same port on the VPS I used for my previous failed attempt at a second server, The Shootout, a few months ago. If The Shootout is still in your favorites, it will be replaced by The Valleys.)

It is a sandbox server, inspired by Anarchist Vanilla Server, except it's not entirely vanilla and not entirely anarchist.

While I initially intended it to be a vanilla server, I got bored and added more stuff to it. Don't worry, it will not have as much as The Creative Gardens does, and lacks the plantlife, moretrees, and tiny trees mods which make Creative Gardens beautiful but slow for mobile users. For this reason users get 'fast' privileges by default on The Valleys, which is not granted on The Creative Gardens.

It is a sandbox server, but has the anti-lava dumping mod, and fire and tnt are disabled. Obvious griefing (like pit griefing, water dumping, and misuse of the streams) are still prohibited. The "spawn pit" and "spawn building" are obviously protected.

There is damage on the server, and (since 2019) monsters, but no PvP.

The Valleys is so named because it uses the rarely-found valleys mapgen.

Mods which are used include homedecor_modpack, signs_lib, boost_cart, coloredwood, farming redo, unifieddyes, moreblocks and moreores, as well as the standard admin stuff.

The standard animals mobs are also included, these provide food for health and a lot less work when you need wool. In late 2017, horses were added. In late 2019, monsters were added.

As of 7/14/17, travelnets were added.
As of 1/10/18, lots of new stuff was added, including armor (no pvp) and waypoints, and the non-"lite" version of unified_inventory is now used, providing home buttons (this is different from /sethome and /home, so you can have 2 homes now :)

It offers the same commands as Creative Gardens: /spawn (into Spawn Pit), /teleport, /sethome, and /home

The rules are the same as Creative Gardens:

Rule #1: Be nice
Rule #2: No hacking
Rule #3: No griefing
Rule #4: No impersonation
Rule #5: No bugging
Rule #6: All language, content, activity, and creations must be politically correct and family friendly.
Rule #7: No recruiting for discussions outside of Minetest (IM, Skype, etc). Public IRC channels and public Discord servers are OK.
Rule #8: No sharing of passwords

No screenshots will be posted, due to it being a sandbox server.

Have fun and let me know what you think!
Last edited by redblade7 on Thu May 14, 2020 19:16, edited 17 times in total.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

koby-minetest
GitHub: koby-minetest
IRC: koby koby2
In-game: koby koby2 JinjaNinja

Re: ANNOUNCE: "THE VALLEYS" Server

by koby-minetest » Post

i love this server thx redblade
hi im koby i like playing minetest
HELP mcg, she needs help
P.S i stole her line.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

koby-minetest wrote:i love this server thx redblade
Thank you!

I have just added Travelnets to the server.
Last edited by redblade7 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

koby-minetest
GitHub: koby-minetest
IRC: koby koby2
In-game: koby koby2 JinjaNinja

by koby-minetest » Post

why'd u get rid of nyan cats
hi im koby i like playing minetest
HELP mcg, she needs help
P.S i stole her line.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

koby-minetest wrote:why'd u get rid of nyan cats
Nyan Cats were deleted from the official Minetest game for legal reasons, and are only available as part of a "PB&J Pup" mod, a proposed replacement for Nyan Cats that everyone hated. I was one of the few people who liked PB&J Pup.

As the Valleys and The Digital Farms were only a few months old, I just got rid of the Nyan Cat/PB&J Pup mod completely.

Since the Creative Gardens had existed for over a year, I am using the Nyan Cat/PB&J Pup mod there, but subjecting the Nyan Cats to artificial scarcity:

* I removed Nyan Cats from creative inventory (PB&J Pup and the rainbow are still there)
* No future automatic map generation of Nyan Cats or PB&J Pups
* As usual, Nyan Cats disappear when used as fuel
* Nyan Cats already in containers and in your inventory can be used
* Once dug, Nyan Cats convert to PB&J Pups

This is being done more as an act of protest. While most people will say "I'll just put up the video again or torrent it" I'm the kind of person who prefers "I don't want to support you or your videos, if I buy it at all it'll be second-hand from eBay"

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

Letting everyone know that I am aware of the problem where everyone keeps getting booted and unable to connect for a minute or two, it's happening to me too and I'm taking a look.

EDIT 7/22/17: Problems should be fixed now. Thank you!

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

The shared locked items and locked travelnets were removed as they have bugs and fail to store names.
Last edited by redblade7 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

(removed)
Last edited by redblade7 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

Never thought I'd have to add this but...

Rule #9: No sharing of passwords

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

Just a note that a lot of new stuff was added between December 2017 and January 2018, including full-size unified_inventory, waypoints, armor (no pvp), horses and more.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

By request of "Miner123", here is a 4K-resolution map of The Valleys, made with minetestmapper (the C++ version which supports postgresql)

As The Valleys is a sandbox server, people generally stick to the same areas and it isn't populated. Still it's fun to look at.

EDIT: Apparently 4K is too big for imgur, so the full resolution is scaled down (it's still a lot more than 1080 so it doesn't really matter that much :) Anyone know of other image hosting that will cover 3840x2160 and will give me thumbnails?

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

By request I've uploaded more recent ones. This is one dated 4/4/2018

Hosting is via my Discord server (too NSFW to discuss or link to here, but it's on my Twitter page), which keeps the full 4K resolution (unlike imgur which scales it down a bit)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

Yesterday I discovered a typo introduced late February 2018 which had caused additional slowness. This has been fixed as of May 9, 2018.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

This is dated 5/19/2018

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

This is dated 6/27/2018

Some time ago, I removed fish from my servers because they were causing lag. This left the penguins untameable. By popular demand, now you can once again tame the penguins - with desktops, laptops, and servers! :D

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

Valleys will be migrated to Minetest v5 on Wednesday, March 6.

After this date you will need to upgrade to Minetest v5 to connect to the server.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

redblade7 wrote:Valleys will be migrated to Minetest v5 on Wednesday, March 6.

After this date you will need to upgrade to Minetest v5 to connect to the server.
Done. The server is temporarily renamed "THE VALLEYS v5" in the list.

Here is a 4K-resolution map of The Valleys prior to the upgrade:

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

I recently came to the realization that I have been overly strict with griefers. For this reason I have removed most bans from The Valleys (which is a sandbox server anyway, and I was less strict there).

From now on the majority of bans will be temporary, either 3 months or 6 months.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

As Discord has become the main public place for many Minetest players, I have updated Rule #8 to include public Discord servers along with public IRC servers.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

redblade7 wrote:As Discord has become the main public place for many Minetest players, I have updated Rule #8 to include public Discord servers along with public IRC servers.
There is now an official Discord for The Creative Gardens, The Digital Farms, and The Valleys.

Current 50-use invite link (see the first post on this thread for the latest): https://discord.gg/25rzDUJ

It uses the discordmt mod by archfan7411 to allow chat between Minetest and Discord.

There's also voice chat and online radio stations.

Note that Discord has a minimum age requirement of 13.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

A common complaint is that I have the idle kick timer on my servers too low.

I've increased it to 20 minutes.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

I have added monsters to The Valleys. (PvP is still not allowed.)

This should be considered "a trial" - if things work out, monsters will be a permanent feature of The Valleys.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

Valleys on 10/18, prior to updating to v5.1.0

BTW I decided to leave in the monsters. Only thing I don't like is, not sure if it has to do with valleys mapgen being uncommon, but there are so few above ground monsters it seems.

(Using mobs redo with mobs_monster BTW.)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

IMPORTANT RULE CHANGE

When I started The Creative Gardens in 2016 and Digital Farms and Valleys in 2017, I didn't realize that very young kids played this game. I had rules against sexual language, but otherwise didn't care about NSFW language or creations, with the exception of a swastika made at the spawn area when Digital Farms started. This laid-back attitude will change now with the existing rules #6 and #7 being condensed into the following:
Rule #6: All language, content, activity, and creations must be politically correct and family friendly.
Old use of bad language and creations will be changed or removed when seen, and existing users will not be banned for violation of this rule before this date (February 9, 2020). I will put in a language filter mod sometime this week as well.

I'm not normally a strict person, but until a year or so ago I didn't realize that kids as young as 5-6 play this game. I could never imagine kids that young using connected digital devices, but my nieces age 4 and 2 have tablets and play games on them all the time. The world has changed.

BTW, soon my servers will be united under a domain name, and online map browsers will be introduced as well.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

As of February 10, 2020, you will need to remove "THE VALLEYS" from your Favorites list and reconnect to it in the public list.

Changes today include:

1. Creative Gardens, Digital Farms, and Valleys are now united under the animine.org minetest network name! You can visit the official Web site at https://animine.org/ (not https at the moment, but will be soon). The servers now use "animine.org" rather than the old IP address. Use of the new domain instead of the IP also means that bans will be more accurate and effective due to support for both IPv4 and IPv6.

2. Online browseable maps! On the Web site https://animine.org/, click on the server name and click "online map" to browse the map in real time. The location of currently online players is also visible on the map. These maps can also assist you in finding new places to build.

3. Bad language filtering introduced on the servers. Users will be warned, then muted for 1 minute, then kicked. If there are any mistakes please let me (redblade7) know.

While the need to re-favorite is annoying, and the need for censorship is unfortunate (this was discussed yesterday), I hope you enjoy all of these changes and have lots of fun with them!

-redblade7

EDIT: If you accessed the site within a certain "unlucky 50 minutes" during 2/11/2020 you may have SSL issues when visiting the maps. If you have any problems, please contact me and I will tell you how to fix it in your browser.