What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: Drop Minetest Game as default

by Linuxdirk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Or we just drop the idea of a default subgame altogether and ship nothing by default [...]
... but then there should be some kind of subgame loader within the client allowing to browse, install, and update the subgames based on repositories.

Doesn't have to be git, something simple providing version number and download to the latest version would be enough, the client simply checks the number and offers to update the subgame - this of course has to be maintained but could be "outsourced" to the subgame authors who can apply for being allowed to add their subgame to that repository. Some of the subgames (by user vote maybe?) should be added as "worthy to play".

There should of course be an option to add own custom repositories (a bit like the package managers of almost all Linux distributions).

Robsoie

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by Robsoie » Post

Have minetest_game renamed as minetest_base , as it's usually the base of what people (adding mods to it) use it for.
Then have a full featured game developped on the side.

Now problems :
- to be included the game must be bug free and still offer good performance without having a nasa computer, having minetest getting its internet description as "minetest is a rather barren game but very playable" change into "minetest is a buggy game with unplayable framerate" is much worse.

- game must be maintained "forever" by some people to keep being bug free while the minetest engine continue to change, as if none maintain it no chance it will remain bug free while the engine evolve or change, who's coding-knowledgable guy is going to volunteer for the unfun and unpaid task of forever maintenance :D ?

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Robsoie wrote:Now problems :
Therefore allow users what game to play and let them decide within the client without shipping a pre--installed game except “Minetest Game” renamed to “Minetest Base”.

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Or maybe we should ship Minetest with some fun games!
I test mines.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

When I see videos of people playing Minecraft, they are playing a game someone created..., using Minecraft as the base.

It would be nice to see people who are all working on mobs (separately) start to work together.
Even nicer to see an actual MT Mobs Dev Team... (a group who focus specifically on mobs for MT)

Once mobs are improved on enough to work as most expect... having one "big boss" type mob which needs to be defeated to go as far as one can... would put MT at the same level (at least "game" wise) as MC.

It will still be up to community to produce interesting, fun, games.

In my own opinion, for the amount of $$$ which MC has at it's disposal, it should be far more than what it is...
But that is the whole idea... to spend as little as possible, while raking in the profits. And that business model will eventually begin to show with MC... same as with everything MS infects... woops, I mean... touches.
A Wonderful World

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: In my own opinion, for the amount of $$$ which MC has at it's disposal, it should be far more than what it is...
But that is the whole idea... to spend as little as possible, while raking in the profits. And that business model will eventually begin to show with MC... same as with everything MS infects... woops, I mean... touches.
Actually Minecraft is profitable due to the cheap advertisement made by "Youtube Gameplays". By far Minecraft is what it came out to be today because of "Youtubers".
If we combine good game quality with enough support from people that will share the game, we can get to be more popular. It would make more toxic and inmature people come here though.
Have a nice day! :D

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

The "toxic and immaturity" issues with MC players stems from poor parenting (or lack of parental supervision)
that is a societal bug.

But seriously, things MT is missing over MC?

#1. Financial backing,
#2. # of developers (and well paid ones)
#3. Mobs (which work exactly like, and are the same as the ones from MC)
#4. Bloat
#5. Punishing it's user base/fans with extremely restrictive licensing (as well as taking them for a ride)
#6. Being able to have every similar software compared to it (or being called "Minetest-like")

MT has some features over MC, and vice-versa... but this sort of question, poses the assumption that MT is supposed to be a free of cost version of MC, with all the bells and whistles and zero compromise.

I'll tell you..., for a free of cost software, developed by a handful of people who volunteer to do so... and the amount of information they pass onto newcomers (and even the fact they actually interact with community members, personally)... I have to say MT kicks MC's bloated, greedy ass!

Even when Minetest is able to finally sort out all the issues with mobs, and everything else... and the end product is just as good (at the same level), but not exactly like MC... people will still be asking this same question... why? Because they just want/demand a "free" MC.
A Wonderful World

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:The "toxic and immaturity" issues with MC players stems from poor parenting (or lack of parental supervision)
that is a societal bug.

But seriously, things MT is missing over MC?

#1. Financial backing,
#2. # of developers (and well paid ones)
#3. Mobs (which work exactly like, and are the same as the ones from MC)
#4. Bloat
#5. Punishing it's user base/fans with extremely restrictive licensing (as well as taking them for a ride)
#6. Being able to have every similar software compared to it (or being called "Minetest-like")

MT has some features over MC, and vice-versa... but this sort of question, poses the assumption that MT is supposed to be a free of cost version of MC, with all the bells and whistles and zero compromise.

I'll tell you..., for a free of cost software, developed by a handful of people who volunteer to do so... and the amount of information they pass onto newcomers (and even the fact they actually interact with community members, personally)... I have to say MT kicks MC's bloated, greedy ass!

Even when Minetest is able to finally sort out all the issues with mobs, and everything else... and the end product is just as good (at the same level), but not exactly like MC... people will still be asking this same question... why? Because they just want/demand a "free" MC.
People think that a game like Minecraft it's easy to do, of course if you don't count economic resources, hardware, time, etc...
This project has the potential, it's just some polish and it'll go far.
Have a nice day! :D

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Minetest does not need to look like Minecraft. Just some polish, as MineYoshi said. IMHO. here's what we need.
-default subgame with incentive.(argue if you like, but new players DON'T WANT TO MAKE TWO DOWNLOADS!)
-mod store. (NOT IN MC YAY)
-game store.
-(even simplistic)physics. (What a twist.....all those people who say we're a copy........XDDDDDDDD)
-more may come later

ratmix
In-game: ratmix

by ratmix » Post

All it needs is a moving boundary for PvP arenas and I would be happy.
King of the Hill :: Modern Warfare Server RATMIX.COM:30000 | King of the Hill Community Site

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд
GitHub: DaKurizz
IRC: Prototype
In-game: SuckerForPain

by ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд » Post

Copy of game is never better then original game.

lisacvuk
GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд wrote:Copy of game is never better then original game.
Minetest is not a copy, comrade.
It's lisac, not lisa.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
Administrator on Craig's server. Minetest player.
"The enemy pales when they see the face of Dazzle!" ~ Dazzle obviously.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks
I appreciate donations in TF2 items. :)

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд

lisacvuk wrote:
Minetest je kopija Minecrafta, jer Minetest kreatori ( kreator ) nisu/nije dobio sam ideju za sve sto sada vidis u basic Minetest server.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд wrote:
lisacvuk wrote:
Minetest je kopija Minecrafta, jer Minetest kreatori ( kreator ) nisu/nije dobio sam ideju za sve sto sada vidis u basic Minetest server.
Pogledajte Infiminer i Blockyard i BlockPlanet i Roblox i StarMade itd. Ovo nisu kopije Minecraft-a. Minetest može biti isti koncept (voxel igra), ali to nije kopija. Da je to bila kopija, Minecraft bi ih mogao tužiti, ali ne mogu. Minetest je takođe open source, i koristi drugi jezik koda. Takođe, možete reći da je Minecraft kopija Infiminera jer je Infiminer bio prvi. Ali to nije kopija. Ne možete da zaštitite koncept (u ovom slučaju, voksel igre).
Spoiler
Look at Infiminer and Blockyard and BlockPlanet and Roblox and StarMade etc... These are not copies of Minecraft. Minetest may be the same concept (voxel game), but it is not a copy. If it were a copy, Minecraft could sue them, but they can't. Minetest is also open-source, and uses a different code language. Also, you could say that Minecraft is a copy of Infiminer because Infiminer was first. But it is not a copy. You cannot copyright a concept (in this case, voxel games).
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

lisacvuk
GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд wrote:
lisacvuk wrote:
Po toj logici Team Fortress 2 je kopija Quake 3
It's lisac, not lisa.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
Administrator on Craig's server. Minetest player.
"The enemy pales when they see the face of Dazzle!" ~ Dazzle obviously.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks
I appreciate donations in TF2 items. :)

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

lisacvuk wrote:
Lisacvuk is really right. Minetest is not copy and no clone as many people say. Here other textures that more beautiful than in mc. Here own engine and own mods. Also own servers and subgames. It is maybe like a bit MC game, but that you are saing it is not true.

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд

Andrey01 wrote:
lisacvuk wrote:
Lisacvuk is really right. Minetest is not copy and no clone as many people say. Here other textures that more beautiful than in mc. Here own engine and own mods. Also own servers and subgames. It is maybe like a bit MC game, but that you are saing it is not true.

Minetest have no better textures then Minecraft.

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд

Andrey01 wrote:
lisacvuk wrote:
https://youtu.be/4baN1PZarnw
https://youtu.be/HrLUuGRxJuk
https://youtu.be/GwINWPBYOKI

drkwv
GitHub: aa6

by drkwv » Post

This textures are ugly. I hope minetest will never look like this.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

drkwv wrote:This textures are ugly.
High-res textures on 1m³ cubes always look like photos pasted on cardboard boxes. This will ALWAYS look ugly no matter how good the textures are.

But there is nothing wrong to crowdfund a professional texture artist for getting consistent high-quality artistic 16x textures as replacement for the currently used "developer graphics".

drkwv

by drkwv » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:professional texture artist
I saw a lot of fantastic mods and not a single one at least good hi-res texture made for minecraft. Does that mean that texture artists are less professional than java programmers? I don't think so. I do think that if you want to have a good-looking hi-res texture in a voxel game, you also need a high voxel-resolution.
Unless you have 100x100x200 blocks instead of 1x1x2 for each player hitbox, it is better to stick with pixel-art. And pixel-art isn't something bad, it is beautiful when done carefully.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

@Sucker For Pain, but i am saying textures are better here than in Minecraft. They are beautiful and more realistic. Also, Lua works better than Java actually. Mods are very nice here. Some of them are very advanced for so game. As Alive ai, Mobs redo, NSSM, Homedecor, Mesecons and etc.

If you don`t believe what i saying, you can read this my post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10539&p=282091#p282091

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

drkwv wrote:And pixel-art isn't something bad, it is beautiful when done carefully.
But most devs aren't pixel-artists. And thus most graphics are ... well ... they look how they look. They don't match each other, and they look ugly in patterns.

drkwv

by drkwv » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:But most devs aren't pixel-artists. And thus most graphics are ... well ... they look how they look. They don't match each other, and they look ugly in patterns.
Well I personally don't expect devs to be a pixel-artists. I expect them to provide modding tools for pixel-artists to help them make textures. For example I have a problem with color shades of wall textures for my hardcorebrix mod. The problem is that exact color of texture can be found only on top of block, but sides and bottom have some filters applied that make them look pale and unsaturated. I believe it is happening due to sunlight simulation and expect devs to fix this someday and make texture colors more controllable. Probably I should also file a bug because asking this problem on forum haven't resulted in any answers.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

drkwv wrote:Well I personally don't expect devs to be a pixel-artists.
Me neither - and I'm neither. And thus we shoud either try to find one who does volunteer work for Minetest or we should crowdfund one.

Being unpolished is the number one issue Minetest has.