[Modpack] 3D Armor [0.4.13] [minetest-3d_armor]

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: [Modpack] 3D Armor [0.4.9] [minetest-3d_armor]

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Could I have the code for the admin armor set stu? With the shield? I'm having trouble figuring out what to seperate xD
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:Could I have the code for the admin armor set stu? With the shield? I'm having trouble figuring out what to seperate xD
Admin armor: https://github.com/stujones11/minetest- ... lua#L6-L48
Admin shield: https://github.com/stujones11/minetest- ... ua#L28-L41
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:Could I have the code for the admin armor set stu? With the shield? I'm having trouble figuring out what to seperate xD
Admin armor: https://github.com/stujones11/minetest- ... lua#L6-L48
Admin shield: https://github.com/stujones11/minetest- ... ua#L28-L41
Thanks xD
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

For those wishing to use the latest minetest development builds, I have made the necessary changes to the armor player model. The files are available here and will need to be manually substituted for now. I will add a new feature branch to the repo as soon as possible, however, I am currenty experiencing build problems and am unable to test anything right now.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Man you're fast :) thanks Stu...

lonestar

by lonestar » Post

Loving the mod. I have made a few edits for my own personal use and I'm trying to get in contact with the original dev of the textures to see if I can release these to public.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

lonestar wrote:Loving the mod. I have made a few edits for my own personal use and I'm trying to get in contact with the original dev of the textures to see if I can release these to public.
Those are awesome! O_O
Do you really have to ask the dev of the textures though? I just put a link to the textures for mine. I'm going to redo from scratch soon though.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

lonestar wrote:Loving the mod. I have made a few edits for my own personal use and I'm trying to get in contact with the original dev of the textures to see if I can release these to public.
Those are beautiful!!!! Look like a wee bit more than "a few edits".
Of course you can release them to the public, as long as these are your own work... choose you're own license for them (CC BY-SA 3.0) is an option.

But do it quickly, I love them and want to use them!!! :P

<edit> wait... NVM I just now realized you mean you are waiting to hear from the dev of the textures you posted...
I thought you meant that you created these textures to replace the original ones from this mod, and were waiting to hear from daviddoesminetest who did the original 3d armor mod textures :P
A Wonderful World

stu

by stu » Post

Those are very nice textures indeed!

I just thought I would mention that the new MT 0.5.0 models have now been re-exported with vertex normals and split edges to work with the proposed advanced lighting feature #6165

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Hi stu, my painted armor kept disappearing, and one of the culprits seems to be switching the wielded item. I noticed that there is no call being made to on_update when the wielded item is switched (in wieldview.update_wielded_item) and was wondering, shouldn't it do that in that case... I added an issue on GitHub as well. For now I just bluntly did an override of the method in my own code like this:

Code: Select all

if self.wielded_item[name] then
	if self.wielded_item[name] == item then
		return
	end
	armor.textures[name].wielditem = self:get_item_texture(item)
	armor:update_player_visuals(player)
	armor:run_callbacks("on_update", player) -- I ADDED THIS
end
Let me know what you think about this change... Or maybe I completely missed something and need more coffee? In any case, hope to get rid of that override, as replacing another mod's code could potentially break that other mod's internals of course O_o

stu

by stu » Post

Beerholder wrote:Hi stu, my painted armor kept disappearing, and one of the culprits seems to be switching the wielded item. I noticed that there is no call being made to on_update when the wielded item is switched (in wieldview.update_wielded_item) and was wondering, shouldn't it do that in that case... I added an issue on GitHub as well. For now I just bluntly did an override of the method in my own code like this:

if self.wielded_item[name] then
	if self.wielded_item[name] == item then
		return
	end
	armor.textures[name].wielditem = self:get_item_texture(item)
	armor:update_player_visuals(player)
	armor:run_callbacks("on_update", player) -- I ADDED THIS
end
Let me know what you think about this change... Or maybe I completely missed something and need more coffee? In any case, hope to get rid of that override, as replacing another mod's code could potentially break that other mod's internals of course O_o
See my reply on #113, I will make this change as soon as possible.

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Super thanks stu! But no need to rush :)

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Stu, how do you think I should go about applying the time of day to a set of armor? I'm trying to make Day/Night armors, but I'm having difficulties with the code. Day armor should be strong in the day, but weak in the night, and Night armor should be the reverse.Any ideas?
What is SCP-055?

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Chem871 wrote:Stu, how do you think I should go about applying the time of day to a set of armor? I'm trying to make Day/Night armors, but I'm having difficulties with the code. Day armor should be strong in the day, but weak in the night, and Night armor should be the reverse.Any ideas?
I'm working on a mod using the time of day check, so far I've gathered these informations:

To get the time of day:

local time = minetest.get_timeofday(val)
lua_api.txt wrote: * `val` is between `0` and `1`; `0` for midnight, `0.5` for midday
Not very good for fine tuning, then it could be better to convert it in the same /time command's format:

time = time * 24000
Doing some inworld tests with the /time command I've discovered that basically it's the same as military time, e.g.:

0000 = 00:00 / midnight
5000 = 05:00 / 5 am
12000 = 12:00 / midday
19000 = 19:00 / 7 pm

and so on.

Thus I would do something like this:

PSEUDOCODE

local armor_rating = 100

minetest.register_abm(is it daytime or not?, check every X seconds)

if (time >= 5000) and (time < 19000) -- from dawn to dusk
   armor_rating = 100
else
	armor_rating = 50
end
MirceaKitsune's moonflower mod is a good example; I hope that these informations can help you in some way.
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

lonestar wrote: Image
what an atonishing piece of art!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Grossam
GitHub: Grossam
IRC: Grossam
In-game: Grossam

by Grossam » Post

Hi !

I'm using you api to create a new armor, but I'm lost in all those groups : How the use_armor and the damage_groups work and what physics groups are available.

Is there a place where all these informations are gathered ?

TY !
Gloire à qui, n'ayant pas d'idéal sacro-saint,
Se borne à ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins.

stu

by stu » Post

Grossam wrote:Hi !

I'm using you api to create a new armor, but I'm lost in all those groups : How the use_armor and the damage_groups work and what physics groups are available.

Is there a place where all these informations are gathered ?

TY !
From what I recall, the damage_groups determine the amount of damage the armor takes based on the weapons respective level. It uses the same algo as node damage, more or less.

I apologise for the poor documentation, improving that is on my todo list :)

Edward

by Edward » Post

Hello,

I'm having an issue with this mod, where the damage received from mob attacks is always reduced to 0 and the durability of armor parts isn't affected. This happens to me in Minetest 0.4.16-stable (Linux amd64), using just minetest_default, 3d_armor(from git in this topic), mobs_redo and ... well... mobs.

My tests with git bisect showed me the very first commit where this problem happens to be this one. If I had more information about the concept and inner workings of the armors it might help me pinpoint the problem and issue a pull request sooner.

stu

by stu » Post

Edward wrote:Hello,

I'm having an issue with this mod, where the damage received from mob attacks is always reduced to 0 and the durability of armor parts isn't affected. This happens to me in Minetest 0.4.16-stable (Linux amd64), using just minetest_default, 3d_armor(from git in this topic), mobs_redo and ... well... mobs.

My tests with git bisect showed me the very first commit where this problem happens to be this one. If I had more information about the concept and inner workings of the armors it might help me pinpoint the problem and issue a pull request sooner.
Unfortunately, this is quite often the case with mobs. I have introduced a number of new features that should allow other mods/mobs to damage the armor even if the player is unharmed but it is up to other modders to make use of these. However, since you can narrow this down to one specific commit then it does suggest that something got changed in the armor level algorithm at that time.

This should be easy enough to trace though it will likely be the weekend before I can get a test environment set up. In the meantime you could try adjusting the `armor_level_multiplier` config to decrease the overall armor effectiveness and/or inspect the player's actual armor levels before and after the breaking commit using something like this:

print(dump(player.get_armor_groups()))
Thank you for the report.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

This is good news! Hopefully you guys nail it down. The armor being OP when it comes to mobs is why I was resistant to adding armor to our server in the beginning. But of course player demand made me cave and add it. Heh heh... this is gonna be fun :)

stu

by stu » Post

ExeterDad wrote:This is good news! Hopefully you guys nail it down. The armor being OP when it comes to mobs is why I was resistant to adding armor to our server in the beginning. But of course player demand made me cave and add it. Heh heh... this is gonna be fun :)
It's really quite a tricky problem to overcome because decreasing armor effectiveness makes it useless against players, while increasing mob damage would be unsuitable for those not using armor. The only real solution is for the mob writers to either self-adjust for armor or at least expose some sort of global damage coefficient, much like this mod does ;)

Edward

by Edward » Post

stu wrote:Unfortunately, this is quite often the case with mobs. I have introduced a number of new features that should allow other mods/mobs to damage the armor even if the player is unharmed but it is up to other modders to make use of these.
Every time I assembled mod collections for my own personal enjoyment in the past, I always got confused as to why certain combinations resulted in bug-fests and server crashes while others just plainly worked. Then I noticed a pattern, that seemed to indicate that as the number of different authors on the collection grows, so would the chance of issues... it always ended up being about how much issues I was willing to tolerate to get a game as close to what I wanted at the time.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Edward wrote:Every time I assembled mod collections for my own personal enjoyment in the past, I always got confused as to why certain combinations resulted in bug-fests and server crashes while others just plainly worked. Then I noticed a pattern, that seemed to indicate that as the number of different authors on the collection grows, so would the chance of issues... it always ended up being about how much issues I was willing to tolerate to get a game as close to what I wanted at the time.
One aspect some do not think about is this..., when someone creates a mod, they create it to work with MTG, not to work with other mods (for the most part) so, yes, your statement is true in regards to various mod authors.

But, when a single individual is working on a mod, chances are they have other mods they have created in the pot already, which is why one of their mods, will work seamlessly with their other mods.

As stu has stated, he has done preemptive work related to his mod, to help creators of related mods close the seam between theirs and his, if they don't use it, it is on them.

The work is never complete until every possible combination of other enabled mods is tried (which kinda means, never really :P ) and bugs/conflicts are reported.

note: "it doesn't work for me" is not a bug/conflict report ; )

looking back my comment seems confusing but, there it is. It is the best I can put thoughts and words together today, sorry.
A Wonderful World

Edward

by Edward » Post

(content removed)
Last edited by Edward on Sun Jan 07, 2018 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Aerozoic
GitHub: aerozoic
IRC: aerozoic
In-game: aerozoic

by Aerozoic » Post

stu, support for your 3d armor was completely removed from xdecor's enchanting: https://github.com/minetest-mods/xdecor/issues/81
“For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”