[MOD-PACK] MineClone 2 Plus! [mc2plus]

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

[MOD-PACK] MineClone 2 Plus! [mc2plus]

by maikerumine » Post

ADD REALMS, BIOMES, ENCHANTING, and VILLAGES To MINECLONE 2!!!

VIDEO Of Portals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP_daR6TOl0

SERVER:
23.28.87.79:30003
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17641

This mod adds:
Three different portals to three realms.
Adds enchantment table from xdecor.
Adds map V7 biomes.
Adds Villages
Adds Coloured death messages.
Adds Random Spawn, for that wild experience.

Instructions:

Install in mods folder
Activate the mod-pack in your world
Select map V7 to experience the biomes
Enjoy

Portal Tips:

If portal takes you to an odd place or your are entrapped, just go back to overworld and build another portal and try again.

To light the portal:
Obsidian -->Flint and steel
Emerald -->emerald crystal
Purpur --> Quartz crystal

License: Mixed see individual mods for info.
MIT License

Copyright (c) 2017

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

Browse Code:
https://github.com/maikerumine/mc2plus

Download:
https://github.com/maikerumine/mc2plus/ ... master.zip

*NOTE: This mod has been in development since last year under the old subgame: grieftest.
Browse Frozen Code:
https://github.com/maikerumine/grieftest
Attachments
mc2plus-biomes.png
mc2plus-biomes.png (59.62 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
Last edited by maikerumine on Fri Aug 04, 2017 13:37, edited 2 times in total.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Codesound

Re: [MOD] MineClone 2 Plus! [mc2plus]

by Codesound » Post

+1

I try it!

Thanks

R

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

wuzzy will die seeing this.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Applause! v7 biomes are definitely the coolest feature here.

You come with this mod at the exactly right time. Because mapgen was the next big thing on my TODO list. But before I seriously look at mapgen stuff, I really have to go into bugfixing mode first.

If you ran into any troubles with the APIs or want to have a particular function call included, just ask. Post a request on the bugtracker if you like.

Please tell me the realm boundaries. Then I can include these numbers into mcl_init which includes important variables.
Each realm should be spaced apart for at least 1000 nodes, and there must be void in-between.

How reliable is the lighting of the realms? This is probably the biggest issue with realms in general. If you put a realm below the overworld, it will be technically in the shadow of the overworld. That's appropriate for the Nether. So, the Nether can be safely put below the Overworld. But what about the End? The end needs to be in sunlight, technically. But if we place it above the Overworld, it will cast a shadow on the Overworld.
Or is there a way to guarantee sunlight deep below the Overworld?
I like to have the realms spaced as part very far, epecially when above the overworld. In the current Overworld, the height limit is about 31000 which is very liberal compared to Minecraft's 256.

And of course barriers (mcl_core:barrier) and/or bedrock should stricly separate each realm, so the only way to travel between them is by using portals.

The Nether is very large and insane. The huge lava lakes seem to be rare, I haven't found one. The Nether has a lot more lava in MC and I think adding a huge lava lake is a definite must. I find it quite hard to find any kind of lava lake in your Nether. I think the Nether is supposed to be a fiery hellhole of heat.
In MC, lava in the nether also has a flowing distance of 7. I think I'll add a “nether lava” node later.

The End is crazy. Lots of floating islands, hard to navigate, strange landscape. Kind of what you expect from the End. I like that.
For the MCL2 End, I need the floating islands to be a bit more “flat”. The End in MC is like this. One big floating island in the center surrounded by lots of smaller ones far away.

As you said in your video, you used some sort of air fakery. This definitely has to go. Only air is permitted. Definitely no “fake” air, please. The void node should only be used in the actual void and must never ever appear in any of the actual realms.

The emerald realm is very weird. Lots of water but not really useful to gather resources. It would be interesting if the realm offered anything which is rare or even non-existant in any of the other dimensions.
But maybe this realm can be fun if you want to build crazy underwater bases.

In the long run, Minetest needs support for “dimensions” (parrallel worlds), this will fix all of this hackery.

More screenshots:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156&p=286682#p286682

I like the new Overworld. It's not really like MC, but that's okay. It can stand on its own. I think these biomes can be even managed seperately from stock MCL2, even long after I officially added v7 biomes. Replacing biomes is cheap. I support the idea of having “alternative biomes” mods.

I like to see more varieties of trees. Note I do not want the trees to be exact block-by-block copies of MC, just similar. Except when the shapes are very simple, then it's OK.
The deserts and snowy lands are very barren. No cacti or dead bushes. That's sad.
There are also some bugs (see below).

Architecture:

First of all, remove mt_biblebot and rmessage. These mods make no sense whatsoever in MineClone 2. They perfectly stand on their own. Why do these mods require me to manually copy files into the world directory, anyway? Just put it into the mod folder. IIRC mods are allowed to *read* from their mod folder and require no “insecure” permissions

Remove death_messages. MCL2 already has its own death messages mod and I have improved it in 0.25.0. From the source code, your death_messages mod does not have anything which MCL2 already has in terms of information. The only thing which is new are colors. So the only thing this mod does is writing death messages on top of the existing death messages. Are death messages colored in MC?

Why did you duplicate so many mods? mcl_chests, mcl_util, mcl_mapgen_core, mcl_biomes, …
About the biomes, I guess you use this “hack” to overwrite existing biomes, right? There is a better way: Rename the biomes mods in a way it creates no naming clash. Depend on the biomes mod you wish to replace, then call the mapgen clear functions at the beginning of your code.
I am confused why you included mcl_chests. What was wrong about the original version?

It's sad that the map generation time is so freaking long. This is definitely preventing me from including any of the bigger changes. Have you figured out the bottleneck yet?

Why is mobs_mc included? This will just destroy the up-to-date mods in stock MCL2. :-/

This is a modpack, not a mod. Your thread title is wrong, please fix your thread title.

Weird stuff:
- This item: “Dig the node below this one”... HUH?
- Tall grass farm in villages are a thing
- Giant mushrooms spawn on grass blocks (see screenshot collection)
- Giant mushrooms can float (see screenshot collection)
- I'm not sure if the concept of plot ownership is a good or a bad thing, given that you can't really own anything in stock MCL2
- What's this huge stone ceiling in The End for?
- Gravel in the Nether

Bugs:
- Placing the “Support structure for buildings (configured)”, then rightclicking it crashes the game
- Enchantment table can't be dug in Creative Mode
- Mod generates broken half doors
- Houses start to burn down in villages because of lava spawning dangerously close to burnable blocks
- Trees, tall grass, ferns and other foliage spawns on STONE in villages
- Enchantment table crafting recipe is broken. MCL2 uses mcl_heads for the heads
- Underwater mushroom biomes (see screenshot collection)
- Desert biomes are a downgrade from stock MCL2: No cacti or dead bushes. Or did I just miss 'em?
- Some mushroom biomes can be huge
- Ladders are missing in villages
- Map generation time increases significantly. Do you know what causes the bottleneck? Maybe village generation?
- The interiours of the “fake woodland mansion” look very broken: Half doors, chests are floating 0.5 nodes above the floor.

Requests for improvement:
- Replace the gravel paths in towns (mg_villages:road) with grass paths (mcl_core:grass_path) or real gravel (mcl_core:gravel)
- Remove mg_villages:soil, use mcl_farming:soil
- Replace ice with packed ice in glaciers because normal ice is translucent and may cause rendering problems
- Use full growth stage of wheat farms in villages
- Use different floors in village houses, not just white wool. There are also carpets
- Use mcl_core:bedrock or mcl_core:barrier to cleanly close off the upper and lower “limits” of the realms
- Don't generate nether brick blocks as ore. Those can be crafted normally
- I think gravel needs to go from the Nether as well. It just feels wrong.
- The Nether needs to have more huge lava seas
Last edited by Wuzzy on Tue Aug 01, 2017 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

nether with gravel is normal stuff. there is soul sand and gravel in the nether.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Oops!
Some other mapgen notes:
I think there are no pumpkins or melons generated.

Pumpkins are supposed to apprear rarely in the grasslands and melons in the jungles. Both generate in stock MCL2.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

melons doesn't actually spawn in jungle. It spawn in jungle border, jungle border M, jungle border hill and it's M variant (to be exact). Note that those biomes are rare so melons are ultra rare. The M variant of jungle is the rarest biome of minecraft.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Or is there a way to guarantee sunlight deep below the Overworld?
In the End realm, instead of generating normal air, generate air with light level of 15. This should be close enough to the effect you want.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

maikerumine

Re: [MOD-PACK] MineClone 2 Plus! [mc2plus]

by maikerumine » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Applause! v7 biomes are definitely the coolest feature here.

You come with this mod at the exactly right time. Because mapgen was the next big thing on my TODO list. But before I seriously look at mapgen stuff, I really have to go into bugfixing mode first.
Excellent! This will give me time to tighten things up a bit.

If you ran into any troubles with the APIs or want to have a particular function call included, just ask. Post a request on the bugtracker if you like.
Will do, just a few little requests, as I wanted to keep this free from editing your code too much. I will figure out all needed requests and go from there.

Please tell me the realm boundaries. Then I can include these numbers into mcl_init which includes important variables.
Each realm should be spaced apart for at least 1000 nodes, and there must be void in-between.
Will do, these will be first to change as currently the realms are all above -10k. I will separate and add boundary layers accordindly when code cleeanup occurs.

How reliable is the lighting of the realms?
Very, by creating a "void node" aka fake air, we can as green diamond mentioned add light value to it, that is how I got the "end" to stay bright. :)

This is probably the biggest issue with realms in general. If you put a realm below the overworld, it will be technically in the shadow of the overworld. That's appropriate for the Nether. So, the Nether can be safely put below the Overworld. But what about the End? The end needs to be in sunlight, technically. But if we place it above the Overworld, it will cast a shadow on the Overworld.
Or is there a way to guarantee sunlight deep below the Overworld?
I like to have the realms spaced as part very far, epecially when above the overworld. In the current Overworld, the height limit is about 31000 which is very liberal compared to Minecraft's 256.

And of course barriers (mcl_core:barrier) and/or bedrock should stricly separate each realm, so the only way to travel between them is by using portals.
Currently I have this, but in a lazily way, need to re-tune. I was using bedrock. if we can use a common "void" node like you have that gives damage this will work without using give damage if below and above (variable).

The Nether is very large and insane. The huge lava lakes seem to be rare, I haven't found one.
Yes, needs MUCH love. The major lava lake is at nether bottom, it is inpenetratable. Go deep, it is NUTS!

The Nether has a lot more lava in MC and I think adding a huge lava lake is a definite must. I find it quite hard to find any kind of lava lake in your Nether. I think the Nether is supposed to be a fiery hellhole of heat.
In MC, lava in the nether also has a flowing distance of 7.
Also fast flowing. I think MC lava flows 4 in over world and 8 in under world.

I think I'll add a “nether lava” node later.

The End is crazy. Lots of floating islands, hard to navigate, strange landscape. Kind of what you expect from the End. I like that.
For the MCL2 End, I need the floating islands to be a bit more “flat”. The End in MC is like this. One big floating island in the center surrounded by lots of smaller ones far away.
Agreed, and very tricky to create. Currently my way is hackish by inversion of air to endstone! HAHA!

As you said in your video, you used some sort of air fakery. This definitely has to go. Only air is permitted. Definitely no “fake” air, please. The void node should only be used in the actual void and must never ever appear in any of the actual realms.
This needs to exist in order to create lighted realms, however air node specific things break at this point.

The emerald realm is very weird. Lots of water but not really useful to gather resources. It would be interesting if the realm offered anything which is rare or even non-existant in any of the other dimensions.
Oh yes, you must swim to bottom, the stone has many emerald, diamond, and the respective blocks. -Maikerumine OVERKILL.

But maybe this realm can be fun if you want to build crazy underwater bases.

In the long run, Minetest needs support for “dimensions” (parrallel worlds), this will fix all of this hackery.
I WISH!! We need to SPECIFY layers, lighting, and root stone material. This NEEEEEDS to be added to engine.

More screenshots:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156&p=286682#p286682
Lovely!!!

I like the new Overworld. It's not really like MC, but that's okay. It can stand on its own. I think these biomes can be even managed seperately from stock MCL2, even long after I officially added v7 biomes. Replacing biomes is cheap. I support the idea of having “alternative biomes” mods.
It was difficult to tune the humidity and temp to get accurate sized biomes, also accuracy with placement of cactus, weeds, and like items.

I like to see more varieties of trees. Note I do not want the trees to be exact block-by-block copies of MC, just similar. Except when the shapes are very simple, then it's OK.
Agreed, it is tricky to get the schematic placemernt correct though.

The deserts and snowy lands are very barren. No cacti or dead bushes. That's sad.
Yes, TBD

There are also some bugs (see below).

Architecture:

First of all, remove mt_biblebot and rmessage. These mods make no sense whatsoever in MineClone 2. They perfectly stand on their own. Why do these mods require me to manually copy files into the world directory, anyway? Just put it into the mod folder. IIRC mods are allowed to *read* from their mod folder and require no “insecure” permissions
Whoops! I hadn't realised that, as main intent was to have a smooth transition from the grieftest subgame. With this in mind, I will thin these items not needed and only pertain to grieftest. WHOOPS!!

Remove death_messages. MCL2 already has its own death messages mod and I have improved it in 0.25.0. From the source code, your death_messages mod does not have anything which MCL2 already has in terms of information. The only thing which is new are colors. So the only thing this mod does is writing death messages on top of the existing death messages. Are death messages colored in MC?
But my death messages show exact tool used in death, and randomises the event, and the colouring comes right from 2B2T's death messages. :)

Why did you duplicate so many mods? mcl_chests, mcl_util, mcl_mapgen_core, mcl_biomes, …
Chests: changed enderchest to ender --> to keep my world map player files the same from my old e-chest.
mcl_util: Changed the depth of void in order to keep from taking damage in the underworlds

About the biomes, I guess you use this “hack” to overwrite existing biomes, right? There is a better way: Rename the biomes mods in a way it creates no naming clash. Depend on the biomes mod you wish to replace, then call the mapgen clear functions at the beginning of your code.
I guess this makes good sense, I was lazy and didnt want to change too much code i think?

I am confused why you included mcl_chests. What was wrong about the original version?
To keep my world player files correct.

It's sad that the map generation time is so freaking long. This is definitely preventing me from including any of the bigger changes. Have you figured out the bottleneck yet?
Which part? HA! :(.. I don't know for certain.
Villages are a tad laggy when tcm mines are develpoping at same time, or multiple villages at the same time.
ALL UNDERWORLD is BUNK.
Basically lots of overwrites and abms, it is foolish. Minetest needs to give us API to add layers, plain and simple.

Why is mobs_mc included? This will just destroy the up-to-date mods in stock MCL2. :-/
Hey Hey Hey!!! It ia ALWAYS current, just included like all the other mods, as of this mod-pack creatoin it was when mobs_mc wasn't included in mc2. :)

This is a modpack, not a mod. Your thread title is wrong, please fix your thread title.
FIxed.

Weird stuff:
- This item: “Dig the node below this one”... HUH? Handle schematics mod vor villages
- Tall grass farm in villages are a thing WIP I tried to hack villages to work nice with mc2
- Giant mushrooms spawn on grass blocks (see screenshot collection) Yes, in minecraft some do spawn on grass in forests. :)
- Giant mushrooms can float (see screenshot collection) My bad, bust have mixed up the baggies.
- I'm not sure if the concept of plot ownership is a good or a bad thing, given that you can't really own anything in stock MCL2 Agreed, Villages was not updated correct, I forgotted to chek this off.
- What's this huge stone ceiling in The End for? BUG in my realm boundary, disregard till I fix those things.
- Gravel in the Nether Does exist.

Bugs:
- Placing the “Support structure for buildings (configured)”, then rightclicking it crashes the game Disregard, can be removed. only used for handle schematics.
- Enchantment table can't be dug in Creative Mode

- Mod generates broken half doors Villages, not my bug.
[/color
]- Houses start to burn down in villages because of lava spawning dangerously close to burnable blocks :D Go go baggins!

- Trees, tall grass, ferns and other foliage spawns on STONE in villages Village bug, the code is far too complex, it is very complex to edit correctly.

- Enchantment table crafting recipe is broken. MCL2 uses mcl_heads for the heads I thought I fixed this?

- Underwater mushroom biomes (see screenshot collection) Can fix easily

- Desert biomes are a downgrade from stock MCL2: No cacti or dead bushes. Or did I just miss 'em? Ya missed them, they are there, but rare.

- Some mushroom biomes can be huge Temp + Humidity tweak

- Ladders are missing in villages Ahh, alias broken.

- Map generation time increases significantly. Do you know what causes the bottleneck? Maybe village generation?
Yes, villages, mines, and biomes with MANY trees, like jungle I believe.

- The interiours of the “fake woodland mansion” look very broken: Half doors, chests are floating 0.5 nodes above the floor. Yes, this was due to alias the existing minetest stairs:slab into the mcl_stairs, orientation went a tid bit wonky.

Requests for improvement:
- Replace the gravel paths in towns (mg_villages:road) with grass paths (mcl_core:grass_path) or real gravel (mcl_core:gravel)
- Remove mg_villages:soil, use mcl_farming:soil
- Replace ice with packed ice in glaciers because normal ice is translucent and may cause rendering problems
- Use full growth stage of wheat farms in villages
- Use different floors in village houses, not just white wool. There are also carpets
- Use mcl_core:bedrock or mcl_core:barrier to cleanly close off the upper and lower “limits” of the realms
- Don't generate nether brick blocks as ore. Those can be crafted normally
- I think gravel needs to go from the Nether as well. It just feels wrong.
- The Nether needs to have more huge lava seas

I will work on these bullet points, much abliged mate!

Thanks for the input, it was VERY helpful.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

It was difficult to tune the humidity and temp to get accurate sized biomes, also accuracy with placement of cactus, weeds, and like items.
http://dev.minetest.net/Modding_FAQ#How ... _biomes.3F
mcl_util: Changed the depth of void in order to keep from taking damage in the underworlds.
As soon as I set the realm boundaries, this hack won't be neccessary anymore, as I will only deal damage in void-designated areas.

Overwriting mcl_util is quite dangerous territority, your modpack will break the instant I add a new function to mcl_util.
But my death messages show exact tool used in death, and randomises the event, and the colouring comes right from 2B2T's death messages. :)
I will slowly clone all the features until your mod is pointless. MUHAHA!
Not sure about coloring.

A probem with the mod is that each death event is shown twice because of your mod. :(

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

If you want sunlight lighting for a realm, even if stuff is above it, can't you use VoxelManip's calc_lighting with the propagate_shadow param set to false, for all the mapchunks above the lit realm? Then you don't need fake air hackery.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

maikerumine wrote: Three different portals to three realms.
Aah. Finally! Thanks. We've stared on the portals already and tried all to open them. Now they work :-)

The emerald portal is still a bit odd. The walls of water look impressive. Yet they're not particulary useful and a huge drain on the CPU. Maybe...a world with more crystal structures, something like caverealms, would be more intresting.

The end realm is very odd, lighting severely broken. Most of the landscape is invisible. Placing a torch or digging reveals the next surface.

Regarding the mobs:

Parrots are known for their ability to sit on nothing but air for hours, without having to move a single wing ever. Maybe they sit on invisible trees.

Taming and breeding mobs works now. It's just not worth it. mobs_redo mobs can be kept in a specific area by using 2-3 node thick walls. Even then lag may lead to them suffocating. Afaik mobs in MC are supposed to not jump over fences? And they still seem to die a lot for no apparent reason even if tamed.

Creepers need to be extinct. They grief buildings and destroy the landscape. Down with them! They may come back once they learned to only kill the player but to not blow holes into everything.
Wuzzy wrote: - This item: “Dig the node below this one”... HUH?
Nothing a player ought to be able to obtain. It's just a digging inticator. If you place a schematic and don't have the creative priv, you need to adjust the landscape yourshelf so that it eventually turns into the desired house. That indicator shows you (and in the future npc) where surplus nodes need to be removed.
Wuzzy wrote: Tall grass farm in villages are a thing
I don't understand. What's special about tall grass? And why is it tall?
Wuzzy wrote: - I'm not sure if the concept of plot ownership is a good or a bad thing, given that you can't really own anything in stock MCL2
It's a good thing. Even MC servers need rules. Many things work just fine as long as the players present cooperate and respect each other. But it takes just one griefer to destroy all. Just because MC is so limited in that regard doesn't mean we can't introduce players coming from MC to better concepts present in MT (locked chests, protection mods, ..). I know of at least one MC server that emulates locked chests with some sort of mod. Griefing has to be handled by moderators and rules; they don't have the infrastructure we have. This doesn't mean that MT is superior to MC in all aspects. But in this particular one it is.
Wuzzy wrote: - Placing the “Support structure for buildings (configured)”, then rightclicking it crashes the game
It's nothing a player is supposed to obtain. The "configured" is there for a reason. Those nodes know what ought to be placed there - they're like the dig-here-indicators mentionned earlier, except that they're placed where air is and a part of the house ought to be.
Wuzzy wrote: - Mod generates broken half doors
Noticed that as well. Newer versions of mg_villages handle current MT doors just fine. Perhaps the ones in Mineclone2 are diffrent in some way?
Wuzzy wrote: - Houses start to burn down in villages because of lava spawning dangerously close to burnable blocks
Not much I can do here. Lava actually used by the buildings is a "tamed" variant that does not ignite fire, but I can't do much against lava spilling in from other areas created by mapgen.
Wuzzy wrote: - Trees, tall grass, ferns and other foliage spawns on STONE in villages
That..may happen. They have deep roots. Tiny cracks in the stone may allow a plant to grow. Do you need a config parameter for avoiding that? I actually like it if there are plants even on stone...
Wuzzy wrote: - Ladders are missing in villages
Only few houses have them. Quite a lot of ladders got turned into staircases due to those beeing a lot easier to navigate for mobs than ladders. There's still no mob movement code using ladders I'm aware of (well, perhaps in aliveai?).
Wuzzy wrote: - Map generation time increases significantly. Do you know what causes the bottleneck? Maybe village generation?
I think it feels slower than when I first developped mg_villages. The current bottleneck of village generation is the updating of the lighting. That can be terribly expensive. At least it only happens in mapchunks that contain part of a village. Other chunks are not touched, and slowness there has to have other reasons.
Wuzzy wrote: - The interiours of the “fake woodland mansion” look very broken: Half doors, chests are floating 0.5 nodes above the floor.
Which one's that? Can you do a screenshot? Some houses may use slabs. Maybe they're handled diffrently in Mineclone2. If you absolutely want to, you could also rebuild the houses MC villages have. If you think they're worth it. But creating your own ones will almost certainly look a lot better.
Wuzzy wrote: - Replace the gravel paths in towns (mg_villages:road) with grass paths (mcl_core:grass_path) or real gravel (mcl_core:gravel)
AFAIK the village road nodes are used for spawning MC like villagers.
Wuzzy wrote: - Remove mg_villages:soil, use mcl_farming:soil
Not recommended. I used normal soil for a while and placed water every 2-3 blocks below so that it would work, but that was rather hard on the GPU and led to lots of abms for the soil nodes. The fake soil is a lot cheaper than the normal soil. That's particulary important for those village types that are sourrounded by fields. You won't see any medieval villages if cottages isn't installed, but village type taoki is sourrounded by very huge cotton fields. Buildings inside villages where partly constructed at a time when a water node up to 4 blocks away was sufficient for soil to work.
Wuzzy wrote: - Use different floors in village houses, not just white wool. There are also carpets
That depends entirely on the houses used for the village. You can create your own set of houses and define your own replacements. Or you can edit the existing ones, place carpets, even use replacements so that the colors of the carpets will vary.
A list of my mods can be found here.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Major updates and tweaks, re download and test. :)

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Sokomine wrote:
maikerumine wrote: Three different portals to three realms.
Aah. Finally! Thanks. We've stared on the portals already and tried all to open them. Now they work :-)

The emerald portal is still a bit odd. The walls of water look impressive. Yet they're not particulary useful and a huge drain on the CPU. Maybe...a world with more crystal structures, something like caverealms, would be more intresting.
This realm had stone with many emeralds and diamonds, you need to make a new portal or explore the distant sea to experience this.
The end realm is very odd, lighting severely broken. Most of the landscape is invisible. Placing a torch or digging reveals the next surface.
Wrong level! HA! You are at the bottom, an old glitched realm, you must make a new portal in a newer area to see the "correct" end. Portals are very WIP, trial and error to get to the correct spot, sadly.
Regarding the mobs:
Sadly, wuzzy's mc2 mobs are different than mobs redo, he needs to incorporate mobs redo so everything works again.
Parrots are known for their ability to sit on nothing but air for hours, without having to move a single wing ever. Maybe they sit on invisible trees.

Taming and breeding mobs works now. It's just not worth it. mobs_redo mobs can be kept in a specific area by using 2-3 node thick walls. Even then lag may lead to them suffocating. Afaik mobs in MC are supposed to not jump over fences? And they still seem to die a lot for no apparent reason even if tamed.

Creepers need to be extinct. They grief buildings and destroy the landscape. Down with them! They may come back once they learned to only kill the player but to not blow holes into everything.
Cannot do it, this is integral to minecraft gameplay, and particularly on my server, where destruction is welcomed.
Wuzzy wrote: - This item: “Dig the node below this one”... HUH?
Nothing a player ought to be able to obtain. It's just a digging inticator. If you place a schematic and don't have the creative priv, you need to adjust the landscape yourshelf so that it eventually turns into the desired house. That indicator shows you (and in the future npc) where surplus nodes need to be removed.
Wuzzy wrote: Tall grass farm in villages are a thing
I don't understand. What's special about tall grass? And why is it tall?
Wuzzy wrote: - I'm not sure if the concept of plot ownership is a good or a bad thing, given that you can't really own anything in stock MCL2
It's a good thing. Even MC servers need rules. Many things work just fine as long as the players present cooperate and respect each other. But it takes just one griefer to destroy all. Just because MC is so limited in that regard doesn't mean we can't introduce players coming from MC to better concepts present in MT (locked chests, protection mods, ..). I know of at least one MC server that emulates locked chests with some sort of mod. Griefing has to be handled by moderators and rules; they don't have the infrastructure we have. This doesn't mean that MT is superior to MC in all aspects. But in this particular one it is.
Wuzzy wrote: - Placing the “Support structure for buildings (configured)”, then rightclicking it crashes the game
It's nothing a player is supposed to obtain. The "configured" is there for a reason. Those nodes know what ought to be placed there - they're like the dig-here-indicators mentionned earlier, except that they're placed where air is and a part of the house ought to be.
Wuzzy wrote: - Mod generates broken half doors
Noticed that as well. Newer versions of mg_villages handle current MT doors just fine. Perhaps the ones in Mineclone2 are diffrent in some way?
Wuzzy wrote: - Houses start to burn down in villages because of lava spawning dangerously close to burnable blocks
Not much I can do here. Lava actually used by the buildings is a "tamed" variant that does not ignite fire, but I can't do much against lava spilling in from other areas created by mapgen.
Wuzzy wrote: - Trees, tall grass, ferns and other foliage spawns on STONE in villages
That..may happen. They have deep roots. Tiny cracks in the stone may allow a plant to grow. Do you need a config parameter for avoiding that? I actually like it if there are plants even on stone...
Wuzzy wrote: - Ladders are missing in villages
Only few houses have them. Quite a lot of ladders got turned into staircases due to those beeing a lot easier to navigate for mobs than ladders. There's still no mob movement code using ladders I'm aware of (well, perhaps in aliveai?).
I rolled back villages temporarily to fix some of these issues, next step is to re-add villages but without handle schematic depends.
Wuzzy wrote: - Map generation time increases significantly. Do you know what causes the bottleneck? Maybe village generation?
I think it feels slower than when I first developped mg_villages. The current bottleneck of village generation is the updating of the lighting. That can be terribly expensive. At least it only happens in mapchunks that contain part of a village. Other chunks are not touched, and slowness there has to have other reasons.
Wuzzy wrote: - The interiours of the “fake woodland mansion” look very broken: Half doors, chests are floating 0.5 nodes above the floor.
Which one's that? Can you do a screenshot? Some houses may use slabs. Maybe they're handled diffrently in Mineclone2. If you absolutely want to, you could also rebuild the houses MC villages have. If you think they're worth it. But creating your own ones will almost certainly look a lot better.
Slabs are different in mc2, they cannot be aliased correctly, villages may need an update to accept mcl_stairs and mcstair to look correct again.
Wuzzy wrote: - Replace the gravel paths in towns (mg_villages:road) with grass paths (mcl_core:grass_path) or real gravel (mcl_core:gravel)
AFAIK the village road nodes are used for spawning MC like villagers.
Grass path was added to this and villagers will be updated soon.
Wuzzy wrote: - Remove mg_villages:soil, use mcl_farming:soil
Not recommended. I used normal soil for a while and placed water every 2-3 blocks below so that it would work, but that was rather hard on the GPU and led to lots of abms for the soil nodes. The fake soil is a lot cheaper than the normal soil. That's particulary important for those village types that are sourrounded by fields. You won't see any medieval villages if cottages isn't installed, but village type taoki is sourrounded by very huge cotton fields. Buildings inside villages where partly constructed at a time when a water node up to 4 blocks away was sufficient for soil to work.
Wuzzy wrote: - Use different floors in village houses, not just white wool. There are also carpets
That depends entirely on the houses used for the village. You can create your own set of houses and define your own replacements. Or you can edit the existing ones, place carpets, even use replacements so that the colors of the carpets will vary.
I think the schematics are the root cause and most likely will need to be replaced with mc2 built structures.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Byakuren wrote:If you want sunlight lighting for a realm, even if stuff is above it, can't you use VoxelManip's calc_lighting with the propagate_shadow param set to false, for all the mapchunks above the lit realm? Then you don't need fake air hackery.
This sounds very helpful, i will look into this. :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Sadly, wuzzy's mc2 mobs are different than mobs redo, he needs to incorporate mobs redo so everything works again.
Actually, MineClone 2 uses a pretty much stock Mobs Redo. Technically, there are modifications, but no API or other serious changes. I have eliminated some items, however. I try to keep modifications to an absolute minimum to ensure maximum compability, and I regularily update Mobs Redo code.
A mob which works in stock Mobs Redo will almost certainly work in MineClone 2 as well.

The official abbreviation for MineClone 2 is “MCL2”, by the way. “MC2” sounds like “Minecraft 2”. xD
You can always disable spawning of hostile mobs. Look in the advanced settings menu.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I have added 2 issues on GitHub.

I think the mod “mcl_biomes” is quite OK now. It needs some cleanup and a LOT more biomes, but it's a start. I think I'm going to merge this mod in the next days. But a few things need to be sorted out first.

I have problems in JUST including mcl_biomes. It seems to have some ugly dependencies.
Can you please fix the dependencies so that mcl_biomes can be used alone? If you make sure mcl_biomes is “includable”, I'll include it.

Also, please give me some details about the general architecture of this modpack, so I know how to integrate these mods better.

If you had compability problems with MCL2 or you are forced to overwrite some core things or use ugly hacks in MCL2, please tell me about each problem so I can fix it on my side. First and foremost, I want to make sure that you are no longer forced to overwrite mcl_util.

In the meanwhile I will probably work more on generated structures (esp. trees) in MCL2. Note I have added my own huge mushroom schematics in version 0.26.0, you can use those.

As for the other mods: These are not inclusion candidates yet. Especially everything realms-related.
Killer criteria are:
- Light must be fixed (Byakuren's suggestion sounds very promising)
- Portals must be more reliable and secure
- Absolutely no fake air anywhere
- Realm boundaries have stabilized (important for world compability)
- Reasonable performance

As for the realms, I suggest the following stacking (h=height):

- Overworld (h>=256)
- Void (h>=1000)
- Realm Barrier (h=11)
- End (h>=256)
- Void (h>=1000)
- Nether (h=128)
- Void (h>=1000)

This allows for the End to have a very liberal height limit. The “realm barrier” layer consists of a block to prevent players from accidentally reaching the void by nerd-poling in the End. Such a node does not exist yet, I might add it later in mcl_core, you can use mcl_core:barrier in the meantime. The realm barrier would be identical to the barrier, but it would be non-pointable.

In other news, I have added the nether lava in mcl_nether with increased flowing distance. You can use this node for the Nether.

EDIT: Realm barrier added: mcl_core:realm_barrier.

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

Will this modpack eventually be added to MineClone 2?
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Well. Yes. Sort of. Definitely not all mods, but probably a part of the mods will be merged, maybe modied.

But: Sigh. The code quality is low, coding style is bad (annoyingly inconsistent indentation) and interoperability is poor.
I have to do a lot of fixes before even a single mod is actually useful in MCL2.

I initially wanted to include mcl_biomes but this mod is so chaotic I definitely can not just drop it into MCL2 blindly, especially because of the hard and IMO pointless dependency on mcl_portals. But also because it registers a ton of outright weird biomes and fake ores which have to go. It also breaks classic superflat.

The other mods are too WIP or not MC-like enough to be even considered (see my earlier posts). I do not want to think about enchanting yet.
The villages are actually quite good (I haven't looked at the code yet …) but they are not really MC-like. I am not sure if this is good or bad. These villages might still be added because I actually don't want to copy MC mapgen 1:1, but don't want to make it too different either. But they of course need a lot of testing as well.

So there are two possibilities: Either maikerumine continues to work on this and I just wait, or I just fix it myself, but destroy all compability in the process (not that it was a goal in the first place). To be honest, I currently gravitate towards the latter option.´
But yeah, this modpack in general is still useful because it will save me some work. I know myself how time-consuming it can be to get this Vonoroi diagram right. So I am grateful for this kind of help. :-)

Maikerumine, do you plan to do any major updates to this project or is it already abandoned?

Oh, by the way, maikerumine: I have added a couple of new schematics and generated structures in mcl_structures.

Note to all modders: If you want to contribute to MCL2 by creating a mod for MCL2 to implement a missing feature, well first of all: Thanks! :D But PLEASE do make sure it works as-is, doesn't overwrite a lot of existing stuff and doesn't have weird dependencies. This increases the chances of being merged a lot.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Tue Aug 15, 2017 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

where's the end of the message? :D

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I'm currently trying to get maikerumine's biomes into MCL2, but with changes.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Well. Yes. Sort of. Definitely not all mods, but probably a part of the mods will be merged, maybe modied.

But: Sigh. The code quality is low, coding style is bad (annoyingly inconsistent indentation) and interoperability is poor.
I have to do a lot of fixes before even a single mod is actually useful in MCL2.
Thank you :) Remember, I am NOT a coder!

I initially wanted to include mcl_biomes but this mod is so chaotic I definitely can not just drop it into MCL2 blindly, especially because of the hard and IMO pointless dependency on mcl_portals. But also because it registers a ton of outright weird biomes and fake ores which have to go. It also breaks classic superflat.
Please explain fake ores? I believe you are mistaken.

The other mods are too WIP or not MC-like enough to be even considered (see my earlier posts). I do not want to think about enchanting yet.
The villages are actually quite good (I haven't looked at the code yet …) but they are not really MC-like. I am not sure if this is good or bad. These villages might still be added because I actually don't want to copy MC mapgen 1:1, but don't want to make it too different either. But they of course need a lot of testing as well.
Good luck with that :P
Villages are a VERY old version that I modified pretty heavy, if you are to use new villages, you will need handle schematic depends.

So there are two possibilities: Either maikerumine continues to work on this and I just wait, or I just fix it myself, but destroy all compability in the process (not that it was a goal in the first place). To be honest, I currently gravitate towards the latter option.´
But yeah, this modpack in general is still useful because it will save me some work. I know myself how time-consuming it can be to get this Vonoroi diagram right. So I am grateful for this kind of help. :-)
You had best give me credit then, if latter! :D This mod is always updated, almost daily, i don't post every single change to this thread.

Maikerumine, do you plan to do any major updates to this project or is it already abandoned?
It is not abandoned, see thre git, it is always being updated.

Oh, by the way, maikerumine: I have added a couple of new schematics and generated structures in mcl_structures.
I noticed, thank you, I can add them to existing biomes, and was also planning on adding more biomes, however the minetest engine is limited as for certain biomes, such as swampland, it is rather unique. Also, i wanted to re-add the savanna type grass as mcl does not have this proper. Remember, This is all WIP.

Note to all modders: If you want to contribute to MCL2 by creating a mod for MCL2 to implement a missing feature, well first of all: Thanks! :D But PLEASE do make sure it works as-is, doesn't overwrite a lot of existing stuff and doesn't have weird dependencies. This increases the chances of being merged a lot.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

MCL2 0.27.0 has been released and it is strongly based on your modpack!

- mcl_biomes ADDED! (And heavily modified, weird biomes deleted, roofed forest added)
- mcl_portals ADDED! (And heavily modified, the weird water world was removed)
- gt2mc2 ADDED! (Only temporarily. I will remove this mod when I have fixed my schematics)

Thanks a lot for kicking off better biomes. I guess I will continue to work on these biomes independently from now on, as many biomes still need to be added.

Full release notes here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16407

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Wuzzy wrote:MCL2 0.27.0 has been released and it is strongly based on your modpack!

- mcl_biomes ADDED! (And heavily modified, weird biomes deleted, roofed forest added)
- mcl_portals ADDED! (And heavily modified, the weird water world was removed)
- gt2mc2 ADDED! (Only temporarily. I will remove this mod when I have fixed my schematics)

Thanks a lot for kicking off better biomes. I guess I will continue to work on these biomes independently from now on, as many biomes still need to be added.

Full release notes here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16407
Ahh, I just read this. I am thankful and happy to pass these torches to you!

Oh crap... I just deleted the mcl_portals and merged everything into mc_biomes!! LOL aaaahahhhhaaaa. This project is frozen as of now. Thanks for your hard work on mcl, now I can focus on minecraft and give you some suggestions!

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Will this work with Mineclone 0.32.0?
What is SCP-055?