[Server] Just Test Tribute

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
51%
NO
49%

Total votes: 178

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Post

To aid in various moderation and administration duties, I completed a major overhaul to the Player Information panel (particularly the backend) and added several new chat commands.

Here are the most recognizable changes to the Player Information panel itself:
  • Status now indicates whether the player is dead, not only active or inactve.
  • Name is now color-coded according to the respective rank of the player.
  • Double-clicking in the list of players now shows the given player's chat history.
In addition, actions such as kick, jail, mute/unmute, lock/unlock can be performed directly from the Player Information panel. This is useful in situations where players have lengthy or complicated names that are difficult to formulate into a chat command. It is also possible to readily examine the privileges of a player from the button text: parentheses indicate whether the player is currently muted (aka shout privilege revoked) or locked (aka interact privilege revoked).

The following new commands are available to moderators and administrators:
  • /mute [player]
    /unmute [player]
    Grant or revoke the shout privileges of the specified player.

/lock [player]
    /unlock [player]
    Grant or revoke the interact privileges of the specified player.
And the following new commands are for use by anyone:
  • /ls
    /ls [rank]
    Show the list of online players, optionally filtered by rank (staff, admin, or owner)

/who
    /who [player]
    Show information about an online player or yourself, if none specified
The /ls command existed previously, but the filter functionality wasn't fully implemented. That has been fixed as part of this update.

Please notify me if you experience any problems. Enjoy!

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Why the hell can't the MT devs see this?

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Attachments
screenshot_20170802_224203.png
screenshot_20170802_224203.png (174.44 KiB) Viewed 1073 times

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

A few more updates to the server since this past weekend:
  • The Advanced rank has been changed to "Guardian" to better reflect the trusted status of these players.
  • The Daily Login Summary sorts players by "guard" or "basic" rank respectively, rather than all as "guest".
  • The /ls [rank] command will list players with a comparatively senior or junior rank by appending "+" or "-".
  • The Chat History buffer is sorted in reverse to make it easier to see new messages without scrolling.
  • The Chat History player list is cached to prevent updates from overriding selection changes.
I also know that certain players enjoy mining and building in peace, without being pestered by teleport requests or even having their relative location disclosed by the Teleporter Staff. For this, I added "armor gain".

Now certain types of armor (currently only gold or diamond) can reduce or extend the effective range of the Teleporter Staff:
  • Gold Helmet -20%
    Gold Leggings -30%
    Gold Chestplate -30%
    Gold Boots -20%

Diamond Helmet +20%
    Diamond Leggings +30%
    Diamond Chestplate +30%
    Diamond Boots +20%
Thus, the theoretical maximum range of the Teleporter Staff is now 2000m, if the recipient wears full diamond armor. Whereas full gold armor will completely block detection as shown above. All other armor (or no armor at all) will yield the default 1000m range.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

It is now possible to examine the properties of nodes, entities, or even other players by using an Inspection Wand. This tool is crafted from a diamond and a stick (and functions very similar to the Protection Wand):

The information obtained varies depending on the item:
  • Node Details
    Name, Position, Description, Light, Owner, Texture

Entity Details
    Name, ID, Type, Description, Position, Lifetime, Texture

Player Details
    Name, ID, Position, Direction, Breath, Health, Hunger, Lifetime, Idletime, Skin
Here are some examples using the Inspection Wand on different items in world:

In other news, teleports are now craftable as a "Teleport Pad". The recipe consists of one obsidian and 8 diamonds.

Several other important changes are in the works for the teleport pads as well, so stay tuned!

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

"MTG is meant to be a demo, these mods don't fit the general theme, oh oh oh."
I feel that the devs can make themselves not deserve the above mockery.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

In one week is the anniversary of JT2 aka Just Test Tribute!

This will be an all day event (24 hours), so there is a huge window in which to organize different festivities So I would like to get your ideas on how to best celebrate the occasion! What would you like us to do next Thursday?

PS. I think it would also be great if as many of our staff could be involved with planning and promoting as possible :)

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд
GitHub: DaKurizz
IRC: Prototype
In-game: SuckerForPain

by ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд » Post

sorcerykid wrote:In one week is the anniversary of JT2 aka Just Test Tribute!

This will be an all day event (24 hours), so there is a huge window in which to organize different festivities So I would like to get your ideas on how to best celebrate the occasion! What would you like us to do next Thursday?

PS. I think it would also be great if as many of our staff could be involved with planning and promoting as possible :)
Changing texture pack of server in something silly :p

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

hi suckerforpain :D
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:So I would like to get your ideas on how to best celebrate the occasion!
Here's a few:
- Add a memorial stone node like the one in memory of JT, with some JT2 related picture, possibly something related to our JT traditions but also something that differs us with JT. Alas I don't have any idea at the moment, maybe somebody else please help (or maybe memorial coin or something that we could boast on item frames).
- Big mobs like on JT all day.
- Bring back griefer souls for a day (actually I thought you would bring them back when making teleport pads craftable to use them to craft the teleports).
- A crazy one: back up the server and remove all protection from the map to make it a true survival for one day, or at least harsher than JT itself. Then the next day bring back the backup and the protection.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Stix

by Stix » Post

how a bout a giant banner

iisu

by iisu » Post

I just realized we don't have dry grass and dirt with dry grass from default mod, or at least no way to obtain them. Could you add them?
And bushes too. I'm neutral about them but maybe other players would like them.

EDIT: Add desert sandstone too.
Last edited by iisu on Sun Aug 06, 2017 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

You
GitHub: Me
IRC: Me
In-game: You

by You » Post

Hello :)
Who's Soulja boy?

Yuuuuuu

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I'm very excited to announce the release of the new Macro Crafting Manager. Now even the most complex crafts like stairs, ladders, chests, rails, and fences are a breeze. What used to be a tiresome and mundane task of moving stacks endlessly around a craft grid, is literally as simple as dragging and dropping -- and voila! Here is what you need to know:
  • (A) Macro Bar
    The Macro Bar provides 16 predefined macros to simplify the most common crafting tasks. Drag any item from your Main Inventory into the appropriate slot, and the stack will be arranged automatically within the Craft Grid.

(B) Main Inventory
    The Main Inventory consists of 32 slots, including the hotbar. As usual, this is where you store your items after crafting.

(C) Trash Can
    The Trash Can's sole purpose is the same as always: to expunge items. Its usage is self-explanatory.

(D) Surplus Stack
    This slot holds the surplus stack from the previous macro operation. If you close the Macro Crafting Manager prematurely, these items will drop. Be sure to move them into your Main Inventory, otherwise they may be lost.

(E) Output Stack
    Once the items within the Craft Grid conform to a recipe, this slot serves as a preview of the output stack. To actually perform the craft, the output stack must be moved into the Main Inventory or Craft Grid.

(F) Craft Grid
    The Craft Grid is a secondary inventory intended for crafting items according to recipes found within the Craft Guide. Drag items from the Main Inventory directly into one of the 9 slots or use the Macro Bar.
To access the Macro Crafting Manager, just click the "Macro" button on the default craft page of your inventory. As a shortctut, you can also use the "/x" command.

I hope this feature proves useful. It's been in the works for several months, but was neglected due to other priorities. So I'm glad to see it completed! If you notice any bugs, please point them out here or in-game while I'm logged in. Thanks!

Stix

by Stix » Post

this is great for mobile-device users! will you be releasing it as a mod?

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Stix wrote:this is great for mobile-device users! will you be releasing it as a mod?
Thanks, I'll see what i can do. Right now it is integrated pretty heavily with the Inventory RX mod. It also depends on the Minetest S3 framework and the Active Formspecs API. But I can try to modify the functionality to make it compatible with the vanilla MT engine.
iisu wrote:I just realized we don't have dry grass and dirt with dry grass from default mod, or at least no way to obtain them. Could you add them?
And bushes too. I'm neutral about them but maybe other players would like them.
I can probably add dry grass as a mob drop (maybe bats or kittens). Then if you place dry grass on dirt, it will turn to dirt with dry grass.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I've extended the chat history mod, so it is possible to see server activity as well:
  • /info
    View death messages, login and logoff messages, as well as moderation messages (jail, kick, mute, etc.)

/mail
    View mail delivery messages, both for recipient and sender
These notifications will continue to appear within the chat feed itself, and some are accompanied by a sound effect (source https://notificationsounds.com/).

Also as part of this change, the full chat history is preserved from the time of server startup. Of course, only 100 messages can be displayed at a single time, but the searches and filters will now apply to all messages.

I also introduced a chat command to simplify player collaboration:
  • /w [search_string]
    List all online players having a name that matches the given search_string, including their last-login time

In this example, I can quickly check if DragonsVolcanoDance is still online:

Code: Select all

/w drag
    Player-Info: DragonsVolcanoDance (3.4 min)
It should be much easier to determine if and when a specific player logged in to the server without having to use the /who command, which requires typing a full player name.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Wow, holy shit. This is no longer just a server. This is a complete subgame. It has not much to do with Minetest Game anymore. Astonishing.

I quickly tested the new macro crafting system. First things first, it is not self-explanatory. :-( But so is the default crafting system, but whatever.
It is an interesting idea and while it may make crafting somewhat faster, it does not touch the fundamental flaws of Minetest's crafting system. IMO Minetest's crafting system is simply rotten to the core, and no extension can possibly fix that, it can only relieve the pain it causes. Your mod does exactly that: It tries to repair some of the damage caused by the rotten core. See also: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15353

I'm still waiting for the switch to easyvend. The current vending machines feel sooo outdated. :-P

I agree, the new mods you created should be released as standalone or at least be released at all. That is, if you care about the future. :-) Because the server WILL die eventually, and when this happens, so will all the code you wrote, and this would be incredibly sad if this would happen.
Better safe than sorry. :-)

Stix

by Stix » Post

@Wuzzy if you want to redisign the crafting system i think the best way to go would be shapeless recipies based on certain quantities of items, NOT grid design. Of course many players (including me) like grid design and a complete redesign of crafting in default MTG would upset many players.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

So many people have have been brainstorming for our anniversary party, not just here but in game too. Great work everybody. I'm loving these suggestions!
SuckerForPain wrote:Changing texture pack of server in something silly :p
What kind of texture pack did you have in mind? Maybe I could go for that infamous "stone world" theme that maike installed by accident last year after Halloween. That made quite an impression, albeit not very comical xD
iisu wrote:Here's a few:
- Add a memorial stone node like the one in memory of JT, with some JT2 related picture, possibly something related to our JT traditions but also something that differs us with JT. Alas I don't have any idea at the moment, maybe somebody else please help (or maybe memorial coin or something that we could boast on item frames).
- Big mobs like on JT all day.
- Bring back griefer souls for a day (actually I thought you would bring them back when making teleport pads craftable to use them to craft the teleports).
- A crazy one: back up the server and remove all protection from the map to make it a true survival for one day, or at least harsher than JT itself. Then the next day bring back the backup and the protection.
I like the idea of a memorial stone. While I was brainstorming last week, that was the first thing to come to mind. Maybe I could find somebody to help design a cool texture.

Giant mobs will be easy to do. I already plan to add a Phoenix, for some extra fun and challenge. I can also remove the limitation on mobs spawning in town, so that nowhere is safe!

I will see how to incorporate griefer souls back into the game. I'm not sure what purpose they will serve with the change to Pandoras Box. Maybe they could have some other special properties.

I'm hesitant to remove protection from the world. Some players might not like the idea of their builds being destroyed, esp. if they are being targeted for revenge. What I can do is make a portion of spawn into a sandbox like just test.
Stix wrote:how a bout a giant banner
I think a banner would look cool. I will see how to fit it into the decor.

Here are other proposals that people brought to my attention via PM and in-game:
  • abeloi recommended adding cake, so I will try to install some specialty foods to fit the theme. Donuts, cupcakes, cookies, pizza, ice cream, etc. should work well.
  • DragonsVolcanoDance recommended random drops around spawn throughout the day, and maybe an extra rare drop for anyone that manages to snag a Phoenix.
  • Arisha_L recommended expensive potions similar to golden easter eggs, perhaps to give players magical abilities such as no drowning, no hunger, higher jumping, etc.
  • AspireMint recommended fireworks and confetti at spawn or a different player model with some type of silly party hat and horn (it's always hard to tell if he's joking or not ;)
On a related note, we had an unofficial preparty of sorts tonight in the dungeon at spawn. Lots of antics and debauchery ensued between DVD, SV, igoreg, Arisha, myself and various n00bs. Plus fire, yes lots of fire xD

iisu

by iisu » Post

Wuzzy wrote:IMO Minetest's crafting system is simply rotten to the core, and no extension can possibly fix that, it can only relieve the pain it causes.
I don't even know what you're talking about. Minetest's crafting system is way better than Minecraft's, for instance. The only flow I can think of at the moment is that you can't use shift+click transfer on the crafting grid's output.
It is time-consuming to put a particular shaped recipe into the crafting grid.
I agree it takes more work to use a shaped recipe but I wouldn't call it time-consuming, at least for the basic items. Surely shaped recipes are more fun as they provide variety. There are mods like Technic that are fun almost solely because of how much work you need to do to craft stuff. And there are equivalents in Minecraft too, some even more advanced and more time consuming.

Your argument about possibility to craft only one item at once is simply invalid because you can use shift+click to craft whole stacks quickly. Well, you can craft only 10 items at once because most of the shift+click functionalities don't work on crafting grid's output but this is still fast enough. And you cannot transfer stuff from the output to your inventory.
In Minecraft in comparison, you cannot even transfer items from your inventory *to* the crafting grid, when you try the items will be just transferred to the main inventory (that one row that is visible when you hide your inventory and you can scroll through it to hold an item in your hand) and if you shift+click on the main row it will transfer the item back to your extended inventory (accessible when you open the inventory).

Of course I'm talking about the PC client, the official one. I don't know if the advanced features I'm talking about are available to mobile players.

I'd like to see your idea with recipes that take more than 1 item from a slot, but not as a replacement but as an extension, so that some of the items could be crafted this way to add for the variety. Though this might be not a best idea, as it might confuse the noobs.
Wuzzy wrote:I'm still waiting for the switch to easyvend. The current vending machines feel sooo outdated. :-P
I like what we have, maybe just your LEDs could be useful. The rest is unnecessary.
Last edited by iisu on Thu Aug 10, 2017 08:53, edited 2 times in total.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

The Just Test Tribute Anniversary Celebration is right around the corner. Spawn has undergone a dramatic transformation befitting of the theme -- lava, fire, and of course, stone. Festivities will officially kick off at 1200 UTC, on Thursday, August 10 at Lag Memorial Plaza (located at spawn).

We've divided the event into two 12-hour segments, to suit players with different gameplay preferences. Here is what we have in store:

Thursday, August 10

7:00am Central (1200 UTC)

- Looking for yummy treats? Fresh baked cookies donuts, and muffins will be made available in the dungeon courtesy of Chef Nemo
- Don't worry about making a mess. We'll be dumping loads of colorful confetti all around spawn plaza and into the city streets.
- Mobs got supersized! If you get squashed by a giant spider or squeezed to death by a massive oerrki, don't say we didn't warn you!
- The Lag Block just achieved collectible status! Now you can show off your JT2 pride, as an original member of the community.

Noon - 12:30pm Central (1700 UTC)

- What goes BOOM but isn't TNT? You guessed it, fireworks! We'll have a huge pyrotechnics display over Guest 3306's old base (the first player to join JT2) to commemorate the exact time that the server came online.

7:00pm Central (0000 UTC)

- Spawn Plaza will be opened as a public "sandbox" so you and your friends can build or grief to your heart's content. Let the chaos ensue!
- Like to PVP? We've got you covered! The city jail will be disabled so all players at Spawn Plaza are fair game for a duel to the death >:)
- A hoard of Phoenixes will be unleashed atop Lava Mountain. Hunt them down and claim the rarest block on the server: a memorial stone!

All in all, that's 24-hours of non-stop partying. So be sure to set your watch and don't miss out.

The fun awaits you at JT2!

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Holy smokes! Auden and will make the evening events for sire!!!
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

iisu

by iisu » Post

I'm already speechless. Can't wait till the event. 3 hours and 3 minutes left.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hehe! I just spent 8 hours rewriting the entire fireworks mod from scratch adding numerous effects and sounds to give the pyrotechnics show as much realism as possible, so I think it's going to be absolutely epic! :D