[Mod] Experimental mapgen [mg]

qwertymine3
GitHub: Qwertymine
In-game: qwertymine3

Re: [Mod] Experimental mapgen [mg]

by qwertymine3 » Post

redblade7 wrote: I don't understand, can you please explain?

I just want to make sure that this mod won't become/isn't broken with new versions of Minetest and then everything everyone's built has to be erased.
If you un-install the mod, and generate new terrain, the mg terrain and the new terrain with will be at different heights, due to the terrain being a different shape - so there will be a flat cliff between the old and new terrain (in some areas).

Here is an example in Minecraft:
Spoiler
This is not pretty, but hardly world-breaking.

This mod does add some nodes though - all of those will become un-known nodes if you remove the mod.
If you haven't used any of those nodes, then this is fine - but it you have, this may make you structures look ugly.

You can fix this by keeping only the bit of the mod which adds the nodes - and removing the rest.
Spoiler
1. Delete all files in the mod folder other than the textures folder and nodes.lua
2. Re-name nodes.lua to init.lua
This small bit of the mod is unlikely to break in future versions of minetest, as it is mostly basic API definitions

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

qwertymine3 wrote: This mod does add some nodes though - all of those will become un-known nodes if you remove the mod.
But if mg is being integrated right now, wouldn't the nodes be there correctly when you download/compile the latest Minetest version?

I'd rather keep mg as long as possible.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

qwertymine3
GitHub: Qwertymine
In-game: qwertymine3

by qwertymine3 » Post

redblade7 wrote:
qwertymine3 wrote: This mod does add some nodes though - all of those will become un-known nodes if you remove the mod.
But if mg is being integrated right now, wouldn't the nodes be there correctly when you download/compile the latest Minetest version?

The nodes that are being integrated, have had their name changed to fit the naming style of minetest_game. This means that your nodes will still become un-known nodes if you remove this mod.

ACrazyNewfie

by ACrazyNewfie » Post

Nice village at spawn point using v6 and the seed 17211932737068890806.

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

qwertymine3 wrote:
redblade7 wrote:

The nodes that are being integrated, have had their name changed to fit the naming style of minetest_game. This means that your nodes will still become un-known nodes if you remove this mod.
If there are conflicts, what will take precedent? mg is installed globally, as required (so are all my other mods, in a run-in-place setup)
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

Samson1
GitHub: MoJo4000
IRC: Samson1
In-game: Samson1

by Samson1 » Post

qwertymine3 wrote:
redblade7 wrote: I don't understand, can you please explain?

I just want to make sure that this mod won't become/isn't broken with new versions of Minetest and then everything everyone's built has to be erased.
If you un-install the mod, and generate new terrain, the mg terrain and the new terrain with will be at different heights, due to the terrain being a different shape - so there will be a flat cliff between the old and new terrain (in some areas).

Here is an example in Minecraft:
Spoiler
This is not pretty, but hardly world-breaking.

This mod does add some nodes though - all of those will become un-known nodes if you remove the mod.
If you haven't used any of those nodes, then this is fine - but it you have, this may make you structures look ugly.

You can fix this by keeping only the bit of the mod which adds the nodes - and removing the rest.
Spoiler
1. Delete all files in the mod folder other than the textures folder and nodes.lua
2. Re-name nodes.lua to init.lua
This small bit of the mod is unlikely to break in future versions of minetest, as it is mostly basic API definitions

The image is from Minetest, Minecraft does not have those textures :)

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's indeed, Minecraft, prolly an old version that you didn't played

burli

Re:

by burli » Post

philipbenr wrote:Cave system:
Spoiler
Can someone explain how the cave generation works? I want to pull this out into a stand alone mod (without the ore generation)

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

It works like the ores: that means, it generates veins, but made of air. To get it into a mod, just take the ore code, and remove the registrations of ores that are not air :).

burli

by burli » Post

Nore wrote:It works like the ores: that means, it generates veins, but made of air. To get it into a mod, just take the ore code, and remove the registrations of ores that are not air :).
Thx, I've already done that. Was a lot of work. But it works well with other mapgens like valleys

But I still have a question: why do you need two Voxel Areas? It's a lot of data for just one

Code: Select all

and insideva:containsp(pos0)
I tryed to remove this, but then the tunnels are much more dense. I have still not understand everything and it does not work perfect. The tunnels don't grow to the surface, especially if the terrain is higher. They stop around a height of +10

I try to fix this myself, but any help is welcome

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

VoxelAreas are not a lot of data: they only contain two positions. About the code you posted, could you post the context with it please?

burli

by burli » Post

Nore wrote:About the code you posted, could you post the context with it please?
It's in the draw_sphere function

if x*x + y*y + z*z <= rad2 and insideva:containsp(pos0) and
        ((wherein == c_ignore and data[a:indexp(pos0)] ~= c_water) or
          data[a:indexp(pos0)] == wherein) then
      data[a:indexp(pos0)] = name
    end

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

Ah, yes: if you remove that line, it will cause overflows and write air where it shouldn't.

burli

by burli » Post

It's working now. I just have the same issue as with the other lua cavegen: flying plants and sometimes a slighly damaged tree.

I hope that it will be possible to really replace the original cavegen with a lua mod, what means that the lua mod should be executed before the decoration

casio33

by casio33 » Post

Thank you for this awesome mod. But actually I would like to build the villages myself. Is there a way to use this mod without the villages?

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

Yes, but you will need to modify the source a bit.
If you want to remove the villages and the area they flattened, simply replace lines 19-21 (function is_village_block) of villages.lua by "return false".
If you want to remove the villages but leave the area flattened, so you can easily build on it, replace lines 326-342 (function generate_village) of villages.lua by "return {}".

MacGregor2k
In-game: Zebulon

by MacGregor2k » Post

Hello, I like this mod, I tried EthenD57's seed and mapgen, and thought I would try a random number from random.org to see what I could get: 20538555375274276391
Mapgen V6,
This one has a good sized city/village, complete with a fountain. I like your mod. thank you. :)

casio33

by casio33 » Post

Thank you for your answer. I tried it, but now the game does not start and says:

2016-08-18 19:29:30: WARNING[Main]: BanManager: creating C:\minetest-0.4.14\bin\..\worlds\mg neu\ipban.txt
2016-08-18 19:29:30: WARNING[Main]: NodeDefManager: Ignoring CONTENT_IGNORE redefinition
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\minetest-0.4.14\bin\..\mods\mg\init.lua:
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: C:\minetest-0.4.14\bin\..\mods\mg/villages.lua:323: 'end' expected (to close 'function' at line 315) near 'endfunction'
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: 	C:\minetest-0.4.14\bin\..\mods\mg\init.lua:341: in main chunk
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: Siehe debug.txt für Details.

Karl der ...
In-game: gameit

by Karl der ... » Post

It's a very good mod.
I like CTF

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

casio33 wrote:Thank you for your answer. I tried it, but now the game does not start and says:

2016-08-18 19:29:30: WARNING[Main]: BanManager: creating C:\minetest-0.4.14\bin\..\worlds\mg neu\ipban.txt
2016-08-18 19:29:30: WARNING[Main]: NodeDefManager: Ignoring CONTENT_IGNORE redefinition
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\minetest-0.4.14\bin\..\mods\mg\init.lua:
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: C:\minetest-0.4.14\bin\..\mods\mg/villages.lua:323: 'end' expected (to close 'function' at line 315) near 'endfunction'
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: 	C:\minetest-0.4.14\bin\..\mods\mg\init.lua:341: in main chunk
2016-08-18 19:29:30: ERROR[Main]: Siehe debug.txt für Details.
seems like a some writing gone wrong there... Just go at the buggy file and just separate end from function
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!