GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

Re: Minetest Content Database

by SonosFuer » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
SonosFuer wrote:
octacian wrote: [*]Server links should be <a> elements
Do you mean the server addresses? except for Hometown none of them actually mean anything to a browser, they are the addresses you put into the client. I will post a screen of it once I get a bit more styling done but there is a link to their forums post (or in hometowns case their private forums) in the server display page. Once I get that screen let me know what you think.
Is that true? I pointed my Web browser to arklegacy.duckdns.org which is the server address of Must Test, and it takes me to a Web page. Glancing through the list at servers.minetest.net, this appears to be the case of quit a lot of servers in fact, certainly not just Hometown.

Edit: I take it there will be more than 4 servers, and that the listings will editable by server owners themselves.
You are true that there are others, It ultimately depends on how the server is hosted (most if not all of the servers that use an ip as their host do not link) I was going for a copy paste for that specific address to paste into the client but do you think listing the servers site would be better? I also want to upgrade that view so it lists basic server status once I figure out the api to pull status from a server.

Yes you are correct more than 4 servers will be listed and the content will be completely under the server owners control.
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

To answer a question: While the forum uses MySQL for historical reasons (and is not easy to convert to anything else), I prefer PostgreSQL for any new project I need to host.

SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

celeron55 wrote:To answer a question: While the forum uses MySQL for historical reasons (and is not easy to convert to anything else), I prefer PostgreSQL for any new project I need to host.
Thank you! I will research and test the site using PostgreSQL to see how it handles. There are few database calls not completely managed by Djangos models but those should still be universal SQL commands.
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

I think a mod database should have support for mod versioning and version bounds for dependencies.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Byakuren wrote:I think a mod database should have support for mod versioning and version bounds for dependencies.
It should support that in the future. Currently even Minetest doesn't support that
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

octacian
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Post

I did a git clone and installed the needed resources to run a test server with this, however, I noticed as I browsed through your work, that none of the pages linked in the navigation bar are available. Only login, sign up, etc.. Have you not yet pushed the server or mods pages? If not, I'd really appreciate it if you did sometime soon so that I can personally get a better idea of what you've done, and what still needs to be done (I'm considering contributing).

Edit: Nevermind, it seems almost as if the code is there, but I have to configure a table in MySQL. Guess I'll give that a try. With that in mind, would it be possible to make the app automatically create missing tables?
Edit 2: OK, NVM for real, I've sorted it out. Read a bit more of the Django documentation. Sorry for the useless post xD
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

octacian wrote:I did a git clone and installed the needed resources to run a test server with this, however, I noticed as I browsed through your work, that none of the pages linked in the navigation bar are available. Only login, sign up, etc.. Have you not yet pushed the server or mods pages? If not, I'd really appreciate it if you did sometime soon so that I can personally get a better idea of what you've done, and what still needs to be done (I'm considering contributing).

Edit: Nevermind, it seems almost as if the code is there, but I have to configure a table in MySQL. Guess I'll give that a try. With that in mind, would it be possible to make the app automatically create missing tables?
Edit 2: OK, NVM for real, I've sorted it out. Read a bit more of the Django documentation. Sorry for the useless post xD
I am glad you are looking into it, as I develop I am learning so a second mind working on this would be really helpful. Hopefully you can contribute and this can become a really solid project. (Sounds like I will be learning a lot about git with more than one person)

SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

Hey everyone,
Thank you for your support in this, I am struggling with how to do a few things and am looking for everyone's opinions.
First off, sorting. How should I sort the mods/ servers/ future content when they are listed, right now it naturally defaults to creation date (index id).

hajo

by hajo » Post

SonosFuer wrote:How should I sort the mods/ servers/ future content when they are listed,
right now it naturally defaults to creation date (index id).
Buttons to select sorting by name of mod, author, last update, category... ?

With categories such as mapgen / buildings / furniture / decorations /
plants / mobs / tools / items / weapons / vehicles / skins / HUD / UI / games ...

SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

hajo wrote:
SonosFuer wrote:How should I sort the mods/ servers/ future content when they are listed,
right now it naturally defaults to creation date (index id).
Buttons to select sorting by name of mod, author, last update, category... ?

With categories such as mapgen / buildings / furniture / decorations /
plants / mobs / tools / items / weapons / vehicles / skins / HUD / UI / games ...
What I mean by sorting is determining what order the mods/ servers/ etc are listed in. I have tags and filters (categories) integrated right now. For example curse does this by monthly download statistics.

octacian
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Post

SonosFuer wrote:What I mean by sorting is determining what order the mods/ servers/ etc are listed in. I have tags and filters (categories) integrated right now. For example curse does this by monthly download statistics.
I would suggest three different sorting methods: Most popular (download statistics), newest, and oldest.
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

octacian wrote:
SonosFuer wrote:What I mean by sorting is determining what order the mods/ servers/ etc are listed in. I have tags and filters (categories) integrated right now. For example curse does this by monthly download statistics.
I would suggest three different sorting methods: Most popular (download statistics), newest, and oldest.
I like that, I am going to start implementing switching from newest and oldest (easy to add more once functional) but I don't have a way to do downloads. I don't want to host the mods and if they are on git hub / other git program I can not track what is going on easily or accurately.

SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

UPDATE:
Created code to make a new server listing (this is easily translated to a mod, skin, etc) The style is rough but it is fully functional.
New server page
Spoiler
Button to link to page added to server list
Spoiler