Getting a free minetest server with mods?

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Getting a free minetest server with mods?

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Is it possible to get a moddable, fully free, public (with small capacities, like 10 connected players) server? i can't do it 'normally' from my computer for the simple reason it's often turned on and i'm on local protected network :|

Can, i, for example, use a part of my github pages domain (https://azekilldiablo.github.io) to host it? Help me please!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: Getting a free minetest server with mods?

by BBmine » Post

No, you can't run it on GitHub. The best option would be if someone hosted you a server and gave you access. I would, but like you, my local network is "protected" as well. (Some people have an odd idea about port forwarding)

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Too bad! thanks for trying :)

Is there a way i can do a server from a domain? how to?

Felfalido
GitHub: Felfa but in GitLab
IRC: Felfa or Are_16
In-game: Felfa

by Felfalido » Post

http://www.minetesthosting.com

The counterpart is that free plan doesn't allow you to host a MT server with custom mods/maps.

There isn't any other free option (except begging someone who already hosts a server). The best is renting an affordable VPS with GNU/Linux and host there a fully customized Minetest server.
Debian & Arch GNU/Linux user - Libre software promoter - Antifa - Republican - Feminist - Atheist - Regular player at LinuxWorks server - Hi :-)

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

ah :( i already knew minetesthosting but...

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

what about hosting myself on a website? is it possible?

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

But how can github concern to server if it is just storage of projects?

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

idk how the server works in general :(

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:what about hosting myself on a website? is it possible?
Well yes, if you had your own webserver, you could host it on the server, but not on the site.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

well, where cn i get one free? (n00b me)

farooqkz
GitHub: farooqkz

by farooqkz » Post

Why you don't run minetest server on your own computer?if you don't have creepy internet connection.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

farooqkz wrote:Why you don't run minetest server on your own computer?if you don't have creepy internet connection.
He already explained why.
azekill_DIABLO wrote:i can't do it 'normally' from my computer for the simple reason it's often turned on and i'm on local protected network :|

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:well, where cn i get one free? (n00b me)
I don't think you'll find a free web host that will allow you to ssh into it and install Minetest.
If you want to host outside of your home network, it will have to be a super cheap VPS at least. Or as mentioned earlier. Someone to host it for you that has a VPS, dedicated or home server that's willing to share.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
azekill_DIABLO wrote:well, where cn i get one free? (n00b me)
I don't think you'll find a free web host that will allow you to ssh into it and install Minetest.
If you want to host outside of your home network, it will have to be a super cheap VPS at least. Or as mentioned earlier. Someone to host it for you that has a VPS, dedicated or home server that's willing to share.
Whats a "VPS" how does it work, how do you get it, and how do you use it?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

A VPS is merely a virtual machine on a big computer with many virtual machines on it. You get a complete operating system of choice that you can install whatever you like. You can install a webserver, game server, mail server or whatever you wish. You will have root access to your machine, or you may have however many non root users. A VPS is designated a certain amout of storage, ram and cpu power. Your machine will have it's own dedicated IP that you can point a real domain name to, or just access it with a IP url if domain isn't important to you. If you make a mistake, or change your mind, you can just reset everything to brand new again.
A drawback for many with a VPS is they are often too complicated. There is no GUI, and often no "control panel" of any kind. You do everything with commands via ssh. Security is completely up to you to figure out.
A VPS feels very close to having a dedicated server. Just you only have access to a portion of the computers capabilities.
I've seen VPS going for as little as $5 a month (US). But it's a very small VPS that may only be able to handle a small Minetest server instance.
Just search Google for VPS. You will see what your options are with pricing and capabilities.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

ExeterDad wrote:A VPS is merely a virtual machine on a big computer with many virtual machines on it. You get a complete operating system of choice that you can install whatever you like. You can install a webserver, game server, mail server or whatever you wish. You will have root access to your machine, or you may have however many non root users. A VPS is designated a certain amout of storage, ram and cpu power. Your machine will have it's own dedicated IP that you can point a real domain name to, or just access it with a IP url if domain isn't important to you. If you make a mistake, or change your mind, you can just reset everything to brand new again.
A drawback for many with a VPS is they are often too complicated. There is no GUI, and often no "control panel" of any kind. You do everything with commands via ssh. Security is completely up to you to figure out.
A VPS feels very close to having a dedicated server. Just you only have access to a portion of the computers capabilities.
I've seen VPS going for as little as $5 a month (US). But it's a very small VPS that may only be able to handle a small Minetest server instance.
Just search Google for VPS. You will see what your options are with pricing and capabilities.
mcg and I have a VPS for just $17 a month. However, the ssd is too small for all those servers :P

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Thank you for all the answers! ManElevation showed me the guide to create servers on windows. Just need to know if it's secure. I feel the trojan coming.

farooqkz

by farooqkz » Post

BBmine wrote:
farooqkz wrote:Why you don't run minetest server on your own computer?if you don't have creepy internet connection.
He already explained why.
azekill_DIABLO wrote:i can't do it 'normally' from my computer for the simple reason it's often turned on and i'm on local protected network :|
This doesn't make much sense to me. what do you mean by protected?under NAT?how many NATs?under firewall?....?

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

idk, it's very probably under a fu**ing number of firewall.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:idk, it's very probably under a fu**ing number of firewall.
Go to your router page and Windows firewall and make sure port 30000 (Or whatever port you want to use for your server) is forwarded.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

yaa. Do it soon. i got work naw.

Qbiq
In-game: Qbiq

by Qbiq » Post

Port forwarding works and is safe*. I recommend a hardware firewall (if you have an adequate router, I recommend DD-WRT firmware). That being said in the past I've done a lot of risky things online and have used Avast/AVG/Avira for anti-virus, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and ZoneAlarm Firewall and didn't ever have anything ever happen to my box (other than the typical Windows issues). One very basic thing missing from the info you have been provided is that a VPS stands for Virtually Private Server. As for a firewall, you could run virtual machines (if your PC can handle it) and use pfSense.

[EDIT] You could always buy a RaspberryPi or similar and use it to host the game. It will sip power compared to a fully system. Keep in mind that it could lag depend on what mods you use, and will lag if you have too many players.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Qbiq wrote:Port forwarding works and is safe*. I recommend a hardware firewall (if you have an adequate router, I recommend DD-WRT firmware). That being said in the past I've done a lot of risky things online and have used Avast/AVG/Avira for anti-virus, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and ZoneAlarm Firewall and didn't ever have anything ever happen to my box (other than the typical Windows issues). One very basic thing missing from the info you have been provided is that a VPS stands for Virtually Private Server. As for a firewall, you could run virtual machines (if your PC can handle it) and use pfSense.

[EDIT] You could always buy a RaspberryPi or similar and use it to host the game. It will sip power compared to a fully system. Keep in mind that it could lag depend on what mods you use, and will lag if you have too many players.
IMHO, RaspberryPi(e)s are for eating, not for MT. I'd recommend a laptop or small desktop.

farooqkz

by farooqkz » Post

BBmine wrote:
Qbiq wrote:Port forwarding works and is safe*. I recommend a hardware firewall (if you have an adequate router, I recommend DD-WRT firmware). That being said in the past I've done a lot of risky things online and have used Avast/AVG/Avira for anti-virus, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and ZoneAlarm Firewall and didn't ever have anything ever happen to my box (other than the typical Windows issues). One very basic thing missing from the info you have been provided is that a VPS stands for Virtually Private Server. As for a firewall, you could run virtual machines (if your PC can handle it) and use pfSense.

IMHO, RaspberryPi(e)s are for eating, not for MT. I'd recommend a laptop or small desktop.
I never tried but:
Festus1965 wrote:mhh got a Raspberry Pi 3 running, with USB Stick main system.
Even with 5 Persons in local network, the cpu is under 20% and Mem still 400 from 1000 free (swap of).
Is some start for me ...
Also this post is related.

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

by Joseph16 » Post

You should look on creglist for a cheap laptop. I have an old dell laptop that cannot run Minetest above 3 FPS but it can host with no problems! Then you should just port forward. Oh wait you can’t hmmmm idk what then
Testin' mines since 1989