[mod] Underground Realms [0.8] [caverealms]

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.8] [caverealms]

by duane » Post

Heraclitus wrote:Yes, I've experienced the same problem as JoshMars. If you accidentally (or deliberately) mine the fire in caverealms (or the skylands mod, for that matter), it will crash the server.
There's a fire:permanent_flame node in the stock game now. Maybe replacing caverealms' flame with this will prevent any issues.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

A few weeks back I started working on a mod whose concept is similar to this one's; dfcaverns, an attempt to replicate the underground cavern layers of Dwarf Fortress in Minetest. Step one of any good project is of course "find some other good project to crib off of", so I started with caverealms as my base. In the process I wound up creating a separate mod I dubbed subterrane that handled all the core cavern-generating work, and while doing that I maintained my own fork of caverealms to make sure the core cavern-generating code was robust and versatile enough.

My version of caverealms is basically identical to the current one but I feel it is a better base to build on if anyone would like to tinker more. The notable differences are:
  • Cavern types are determined using the game's built-in biome system rather than the mod using its own perlin noise. This means you can have cavern contents correspond to the surface environment (dry caverns under deserts, icy caverns under glaciers, etc).
  • There's a fill_node parameter so you can fill caverns with something other than default air
  • Duane's lava mitigation is built in, though I've found it a bit unreliable when dealing with default lava blobs (works great with my dfcavern mod's lava veins, though).
  • The giant mushrooms have variable dimensions, adding a little variety
  • Stone stalagmites and stalactites are horizontally aligned and can form columns when they're close enough together (dripstone features in real caves are like this)
  • I fixed the permanent fire bug
  • Internationalization support, though there are no translations other than English currently
  • Moved some settings into the game's built-in settings menu, under Advanced Settings -> Mods
Anyway, figured I should post here to let people know in case anyone wants to do something with this version. I don't expect to do much more with it myself now that I've got dfcaverns working but if I make any changes to subterrane in the future I'll keep this one up to date with it as well.

JoshMars
In-game: rubber UbuntuJosh

by JoshMars » Post

I've got a pull request open rn that does two things: Replaces caverealms:constant_flame with fire:permanent_flame and fixes a mistake in falling_ice.lua that was crashing my server. If you could take a look-see that would be great.

Alcyone
IRC: Alcyone
In-game: Alcyone

by Alcyone » Post

JoshMars wrote:I've got a pull request open rn that does two things: Replaces caverealms:constant_flame with fire:permanent_flame and fixes a mistake in falling_ice.lua that was crashing my server. If you could take a look-see that would be great.
Hey JoshMars, I have the same problem, crash caused by fire is really annoying and even though I changed what you said, I keep having problem when I hit fire :/

One way to solve it would maybe to removed the fire which spawn here ? Do you know a way to do it ?
-- Alcyone --

Website with french articles on MT : alcyone.toile-libre.org

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

FaceDeer: Thanks so much! It's so nice to see a cave realm in mgv7!!

There were recently a few PRs merged into upstream, and I wonder if they're incorporated into your fork? I'm really interested in this subterrane mod, and wonder if you've considered a separate thread for it?

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

jas wrote:FaceDeer: Thanks so much! It's so nice to see a cave realm in mgv7!!

There were recently a few PRs merged into upstream, and I wonder if they're incorporated into your fork? I'm really interested in this subterrane mod, and wonder if you've considered a separate thread for it?
I just pulled those changes in, one of them was a fix that I'd already done (the permanent fire digging bug) and the other was a fix to make giant hanging ice stalactites sometimes fall from the ceiling if you tried digging them.

I'm not sure if it really warrants a separate thread, at the moment it's a slavish recreation of the original Caverealms with only some cosmetic changes as far as the player is concerned. Were you interested in diverging it, perhaps? I was planning on focusing most of my attention on the dfcaverns mod instead, but part of the reason I abstracted out subterrane was to make extending mods like this easier so let me know if you've got any requests.

jas

by jas » Post

Sometimes, in subterrane-caverealms, I get this:

Floating decorations. Any ideas?
Attachments
screenshot_20170914_001057.png
screenshot_20170914_001057.png (456.82 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
screenshot_20170914_001126.png
screenshot_20170914_001126.png (692.64 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

I see that too. I believe I've fixed it now, I was making some assumptions about what counted as "floor" blocks during mapgen that proved to be unwarranted.

As a result, some of the caverns will now have a floor one block lower than they did before. But I think I got all the floating decor fixed in the process.

jas

by jas » Post

Cool, thanks very much! If you like, the thin ice can be made slippery=3 to match default:ice with new slippery code in engine. (And I removed the thin_ice->water craft, but that's just a preference.)

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

jas wrote:Cool, thanks very much! If you like, the thin ice can be made slippery=3 to match default:ice with new slippery code in engine. (And I removed the thin_ice->water craft, but that's just a preference.)
I've added slipperyness, though my local copy of the game is not a recent dev version so I couldn't test that offhand.

I'm curious why you removed the ice->water craft, is there a better approach that would be preferable? If this is an option you think other people would want rather than something idiosyncratic to your particular world setup I could add it to the mod's preferences.

jas

by jas » Post

It's mostly because you can't get water_source from default:ice, so I like thin_ice to match. Another reason I removed it is because during survival play, a player must use a bucket to hold water.

I've experimented in the past with turning the thin_ice to water_source when near an igniter or torch; and I've before modified the craft recipe to include a bucket and return bucket:bucket_water. This time I just commented it out, for now -- easy enough! : )

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Please update your screenshots, photobucket is dead and should be banned from this forum anyway.

jas

by jas » Post

FaceDeer: I was going to do this in a GitHub issue, but it's not enabled on your fork of the repository. What do you make of this?
Spoiler
Attachments
screenshot_20170920_081333.png
screenshot_20170920_081333.png (150.72 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
screenshot_20170920_081413.png
screenshot_20170920_081413.png (321.75 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

I'll enable issues on that repository when I get home, sorry about that.

Anyway, that particular node is a thing that's placed in Dungeon biome caverns by the mapgen function, and then it immediately converts itself into a lava fountain or a small castle-like fortress. So it's not something that a player should normally have in their inventory. How did you get one? Run up to one and dig it before it had a chance to turn itself into something else, or perhaps taken from the Creative inventory? I'll look into that when I get home. And I'll change the text to something more informative, too. That description is left over from the original version of the Caverealms mod.

Edit: I've enabled issues on the repository and given the various schematic-placement nodes meaningful human-readable names.

jas

by jas » Post

Hmmm, it's not impossible a creative player inserted them but, I _think_I'm finding them in the caverealms. I'll look at my screenshots folder.

Edit: ImageImage
Attachments
screenshot_20170920_081341.png
screenshot_20170920_081341.png (532.07 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
screenshot_20170920_081333.png
screenshot_20170920_081333.png (150.72 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

jas wrote:Hmmm, it's not impossible a creative player inserted them but, I _think_I'm finding them in the caverealms. I'll look at my screenshots folder.
The nodes are in the "not_in_creative_inventory" group, so that's probably not it. I guess I'll see if I can reproduce the situation locally.

The way this is supposed to work is that mapgen places those nodes in world when the chunk of map first spawns, and then the ABMs in https://github.com/FaceDeer/minetest-ca ... r/abms.lua turn those nodes into full-sized structures whenever a player actually gets near to them. The ABM code is supposed to do this once every second, but perhaps something is causing massive lag on your server that's preventing the ABMs from firing reliably?

It's kind of a hacky approach, if I'd written Caverealms from scratch rather than revamping it as a side effect of extracting the juicy mapgen code for my own purposes I would have tried to build the structures directly in the mapgen phase. I'll see if I can convert that over easily, or maybe use an LBM instead of an ABM and see if that's more reliable.

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

is this still being worked on?
can somebody modify this to turn it into a dimension (a realm several thousand blocks up or down)
I want to be able to include this in my skyfactory modpack (and I'm not very good with world gen things) and if you know about skyfactory then you probably know that its all void meaning I need this to activate after all world gen is complete to be able to override the void world gen feature
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Would you turn your skyfactory modpack into a subgame, complete with all the mods it depends on, so people don't have to enable 8 mods just for it to work?
What is SCP-055?

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Chem871 wrote:Would you turn your skyfactory modpack into a subgame, complete with all the mods it depends on, so people don't have to enable 8 mods just for it to work?
atm I haven't even released skyfactory
just skytest a exnihlio/avaritaria/random other things like mod
I'm working on an actual subgame for skyfactory complete with tech(not technic), several dimensions, all aspects of skyfactory in general(ya know the whole void world, 1 tree, 1 dirt, progression things), and even magic stuff

edit- if you want to continue this discussion or reply use pm
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

tagada
In-game: tagada

by tagada » Post

Hello all,
I've made an improvement to caverealms mod to enable all full blocks to work with
- the circular saw from the mod moreblocks;
- the mod stairs;
- the mod columnia;

with preservation of glowing and use of texture alpha.
see the post i've made in the topic "[Server] Jungle" at
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13125&hilit=%5Bmod ... 75#p316724
(because i played in this server when i decided to do that work)
hope that will help,
have fun :)

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

Hi,

I'm having some crashes on my server which I think might be caverealms related, as it seems to happen when people are in the caves mining glow crystals:
2018-08-14 15:50:40: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback node_on_punch(): (REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/falling.lua:277: attempt to index local 'pop' (a nil value)
2018-08-14 15:50:40: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-08-14 15:50:40: ERROR[Main]: (REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/falling.lua:277: in function 'check_for_falling'
2018-08-14 15:50:40: ERROR[Main]: (REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/falling.lua:313: in function 'callback'
2018-08-14 15:50:40: ERROR[Main]: (REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/item.lua:509: in function <(REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/item.lua:502>
EDIT: I will try FaceDeer's fork, with its required subterrane mod installed as well.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

redblade7 wrote:Hi,

I'm having some crashes on my server which I think might be caverealms related, as it seems to happen when people are in the caves mining glow crystals:
2018-08-14 15:50:40: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback node_on_punch(): (REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/falling.lua:277: attempt to index local 'pop' (a nil value)
2018-08-14 15:50:40: ERROR[Main]: (REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/falling.lua:277: in function 'check_for_falling'
2018-08-14 15:50:40: ERROR[Main]: (REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/falling.lua:313: in function 'callback'
2018-08-14 15:50:40: ERROR[Main]: (REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/item.lua:509: in function <(REDACTED)/bin/../builtin/game/item.lua:502>
EDIT: I will try FaceDeer's fork, with its required subterrane mod installed as well.
Using FaceDeer's version, I had a server crash today:
ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'caverealms' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): (REDACTED)/bin/../games/minetest_game/mods/subterrane/init.lua:237: attempt to index local 'biomemap' (a nil value)
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

redblade7 wrote:
redblade7 wrote:Hi,

Using FaceDeer's version, I had a server crash today:
ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'caverealms' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): (REDACTED)/bin/../games/minetest_game/mods/subterrane/init.lua:237: attempt to index local 'biomemap' (a nil value)
Still having the first crash...

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Now can fungi and the glow mushroom turn stone or cobble into moss covered stone/cobble if placed on it? Does it need to be at the depth to work?

Also how to breed giant mushroom... what part do I use an on what terrian? I'm on Regulus Mars survive server and trying to get it to work

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

redblade7 wrote:Still having the first crash...
Apologies for the delay. I just merged a branch into subterrane that should in theory get rid of any remaining nil biome crashes, try getting the latest. I've changed the API significantly but the old API is still supported so it should just work (I tested it with Caverealms locally before submitting).

The new version of subterrane depends on mapgen_helper