Opinions about farlands

u19503

Opinions about farlands

by u19503 » Post

So on Wed Sep 13, 2017 farlands V1 was released it took us almost a year to make
(8 months I think it was) and it's been pretty amazing to see the Communities response to V1

That sayd I was wondering what do you think about farlands have any ideas suggestions or critique on Something please let me know

Some examples in case you don't know what to talk about but still want to say something
(This happens to me alot XD)

What do you think about the texture style of farlands
is it good
(tell me why you think it's good)
or is it bad
(tell me why you think it's bad)

What do you think about the mapgen?
Maybe you whant to see a new biome or maybe you don't like a current biome
Hum huhum ice glacier hum (note we will improve the ice glacier) or maybe you have an idea for an improvement

Maybe you have a idea for new blocks we are already working on a new update V1.1 this will add more building materials and decorative blocks so go wild with this one XD
(nothing is to crazy)

I think I have given enough examples keep in mind that those are just some examples if you want to Request Anything Else Go Ahead

In case you don't know what im talking about or you whant to try farlands here's a link to farlands
Also know that we are listening to your ideas but That We can not implement all of them
Unless there's only one suggestion (but I dout that XD)

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: Opinions about farlands

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

*didn't tested yet*
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

u19503

by u19503 » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:*didn't tested yet*
Well that's usefull information I'm sure we can really use that XD

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Don't thank me, it's all free, it makes you happy, it's me!

the_raven_262
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: [Discord unfortunately] corvus262

by the_raven_262 » Post

Okay, first of all I want to say good job on this one.
The first time I tried Farlands (which was just now), I though it was going to be yet another one of those subgames that are based upon something, this game is original. At least i never saw anything like it.

The textures are very well done (in other words, they're epic), you even made each tool type look different, not just recolored as in minetest_game.
Stone texture looks much more rough than the original minetest, and I like that.
Ores (texture) have stone remains on them, finally someone thought of that.
Models fit in the game very nice and their texture work is also amazing.
Finally, the armor looks different and that takes a lot of effort to create.
Overall, i love the texture style in this subgame.

Now, the ore generation is nice. First thing i found when i dug underground was lots of different scatters and blobs.
It is very important for a minetest subgame to have densely decorated underground. Cause the players are supposed to spend lots of their time there.
Forest biomes are filled with different kinds of plantlife. I have no idea what all these plants are for, but they look nice :)
I didn't go deep underground so i haven't seen if you added abandoned mines and that sort of stuff (which would be nice).
I played in a v7 generated world, which mapgen would you recommend?

One thing that I found bad is that i couldn't read some of the text in the "Village building book" (or something like that).
For a more detailed review, I'll have to explore the game a bit further. At least thats not gonna be a hard thing to do.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

First of all thanks for the kind words it means alot to me (I'm the guy that made 90% of all textures and models all the ones stated are made by me) but d00med is the programmer he did 99% of all programming without his work farlands wuldent exist :)

Also you should use V7 mapgen
haven't seen if you added abandoned mines
Yes we did :)
this game is original

We did our best
Now, the ore generation is nice. First thing i found when i dug underground was lots of different scatters and blobs.
Yes me and d00med made sure The Underground was as good as possible like you said most of the time will be spent Underground so it has to be interesting (more will probably be added in the future)

About the vilage building book I will report that to d00med :)

Also don't be scared to say negative stuff (it really helps us to inprove farlands)

Please give as much feedback as you can positive and negative it's all welcome

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

my opinion?:
1. models are well-done and fit into the blocky style
2. textures are very nice and use a good pallete of colors.
3. all the biomes are unique and dont really have any repetitveness between them.
4. overall a unique game with plenty to see and do.

p.s. if your ever swamped with making textures for a new game i can help (if im not busy that is)
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

1. models are well-done and fit into the blocky style
2. textures are very nice and use a good pallete of colors.
Again thank you XD
3. all the biomes are unique and dont really have any repetitveness between them.
Ok good to know that more people like the biomes :)
4. overall a unique game with plenty to see and do.
Theres not so much to do, but there's alot to see that's for sure
p.s. if your ever swamped with making textures for a new game i can help (if im not busy that is
No offense but I rather do my textures and models myself they will have to Fit the style and have to be really high quality especially The models you can have a try at making textures for farlands but you probably won't get past my OCD quality control XD but you can always make a texturepack :)

But if you can program (make Minetest mods) than your more than welcome to join us (we really need more programmers)
Last edited by u19503 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Shouldn't this topic be in Subgame Discussions section?

Any ways.. you guys are a pretty creative team
you have lots of good ideas evolving and lots and lots of great art work,
especially the gui backgrounds for village mods..just phenomenal :)
your node models are also nicely done and with fitting textures.

I know this is a W.I.P. so I am not about to start reporting stuff that needs to be fixed
I just hope you guys keep working on it. It's pretty cool so far.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Yes we are but without d00med I wuldent be very impressive :/
D00med made that one :)
Thank you :)
I know this is a W.I.P. so I am not about to start reporting stuff that needs to be fixed
I just hope you guys keep working on it. It's pretty cool so far
I never knew something like subgame discussions existed

Also farlands V1 is released it is not wip anymore we are just waiting for an admin to move it from wip subgames to subgame releases so go ahead report whatever you find :)
On GitHub if possible

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

1. It looks like there's significant processing by lua, blocks take quite a while to load which makes me think that lua scripts are stopping the server from responding. See this graph, there are large periods of time where the server doesn't respond. This is in singleplayer, so the server is on the same machine!

2. Nice textures and nice hud
  3. Nice innovative formspec for the village book, didn't know that was possible!
  4. Craft guide has empty space, you should show something in that space when nothing is selected. For example, show the text "Please select an item"
  5. I'm not really sure what's supposed to be steam punk in here, it's just a minecraft like with different textures and the villager mechanic. No steampunk elements at all.
  6. The logo makes me think it's a stone age level survival game, but it's more making a village in a new land or something
  7. Crashing isn't good

Code: Select all

2017-10-01 23:30:38: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'weather' in callback environment_Step(): ...t-stable/bin/../games/farlands/mods/weather/init.lua:65: bad argument #2 to 'random' (interval is empty)
    2017-10-01 23:30:38: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
    2017-10-01 23:30:38: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'random'
    2017-10-01 23:30:38: ERROR[Main]: 	...t-stable/bin/../games/farlands/mods/weather/init.lua:65: in function 'apply_weather'
    2017-10-01 23:30:38: ERROR[Main]: 	...t-stable/bin/../games/farlands/mods/weather/init.lua:160: in function '?'
    2017-10-01 23:30:38: ERROR[Main]: 	...dev/minetest-stable/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:412: in function <...dev/minetest-stable/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:392>
    2017-10-01 23:30:38: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:

Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

u19503

by u19503 » Post

It looks like there's significant processing by lua, blocks take quite a while to load which makes me think that lua scripts are stopping the server from responding. See this graph, there are large periods of time where the server doesn't respond. This is in singleplayer, so the server is on the same machine!
Oh how should that be fixed? (I will show it to D00med)
[*] Nice textures and nice hud
Thanks I wasn't quite sure if people would like it but enough people seem to say it's good so I guess it's good :)
[*] Nice innovative formspec for the village book, didn't know that was possible!
D00med made that :)
[*] Craft guide has empty space, you should show something in that space when nothing is selected. For example, show the text "Please select an item"
I will put that on the low priority To Do list
[*] I'm not really sure what's supposed to be steam punk in here, it's just a minecraft like with different textures and the villager mechanic. No steampunk elements at all.
Yeh that got scraped for v1 so we could focus a complete update on it (you can find some stuff in creative)
[*] The logo makes me think it's a stone age level survival game, but it's more making a village in a new land or something
Yeh it's the V1 logo the beginning (it was the point to make it look simple and survivaly)
I will make a new and unique logo for every new update :)
[*] Crashing isn't good
True I agree XD
I will tell it to d00med :)

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

toby109tt wrote:
Yes we are but without d00med I wuldent be very impressive :/
D00med made that one :)
Thank you :)
I just hope you guys keep working on it. It's pretty cool so far
I never knew something like subgame discussions existed

Also farlands V1 is released it is not wip anymore we are just waiting for an admin to move it from wip subgames to subgame releases so go ahead report whatever you find :)
On GitHub if possible
Stop that modesty, you can say you did the work too! Wezwon't blame you :D

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Stop that modesty, you can say you did the work too! Wezwon't blame you :D
Well it's true without d00med farlands wuldent exist

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

xD dat boi