lister

[Mod] Rockweed - The Cave Growable & Space Filler [rockweed]

by lister » Post

license

code: gpl v3+
textures: cc-by-sa v4+

dependencies

description

rockweed is a kind of petrified plant that thrives in caves. it is aware of other mods, but has no hard dependencies. players can craft the first seeds out of saplings and mese, and then cultivate the plant in a normal way.

what sets this plant apart from the usual trees is that it has no trunk of its own, using instead the surrounding rock. depending on its immediate surroundings, the seed will either grow into one of the useful formations, like a tree, a wall, or a bridge, or will wander around randomly, sprouting flowers and things like that.

full documentation is supplied with the code: https://gitlab.com/retsil/rockweed

download

check out the stable branch:

Code: Select all

git clone https://gitlab.com/retsil/rockweed.git
download the tarball: https://gitlab.com/retsil/rockweed/-/ar ... ter.tar.gz

peruse the development branch: https://gitlab.com/retsil/rockweed/tree/dev

a screenshot with some trees and a spire is attached.
Attachments
granite-based rockweed formations
granite-based rockweed formations
rockweed-granite-trunk.jpg (191.29 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
Last edited by lister on Wed Jun 13, 2018 05:40, edited 2 times in total.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

Re: [Mod] Rockweed - The Cave Growable & Space Filler [rockw

by Chem871 » Post

Nodes.lua and trunks.lua are both empty.
What is SCP-055?

lister

by lister » Post

Chem871, we are unable to replicate the bug you are reporting. both git clone command & master zip link provide us with correct (nonempty) files.

lister

by lister » Post

https://github.com/retsil2/rockweed/rel ... g/v--12.34

this master branch update contains a non-critical crystal bug fix (was incorrectly rejecting bases not on the trunk whitelist), torches pattern (yet to be documented), and balance tune-up (more glowies)

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

what about 16pix textures?
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

lister

by lister » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:what about 16pix textures?
forthcoming. and by the way, we would like to put out a call for art submissions for another texture, which is not hemp-related. we were thinking just general steam-punk theme, or something else related to growing rock & the physics they call quantum. please do at least 256x256, cc0 or gpl v3.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

256*256? ouch :D
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

lister

update

by lister » Post

https://github.com/retsil2/rockweed
https://github.com/retsil2/rockweed/releases/tag/v-1

this master branch update contains new patterns: hanging floor and 3d-copier, while torches get a complete rewrite & the docs. config file changed & sourced from the mod dir & then the world dir for greater flexibility. 16x16 textures added and made the default.

lister

by lister » Post

hi! we have another question about the minetest.get_node(pos), and especially versus minetest.get_voxel_manip() approach.

it looks as though minetest.get_node(pos) doesn't work quite right when the node pos is outside of the forceloaded region (like if there is no player close enough to the pos), at least when we call it from an abm. is this a known behavior? can it be fixed by using minetest.get_voxel_manip()?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

You can't read from unloaded areas, so you need to load it. An LVM is probably the best way to do that, although you can also use emergeblocks which is asynchronous

This is explained in more detail here: https://rubenwardy.com/minetest_modding ... nment.html
There's also a chapter on using voxel manipulators
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

lister

by lister » Post

rubenwardy wrote:You can't read from unloaded areas, so you need to load it. An LVM is probably the best way to do that, although you can also use emergeblocks which is asynchronous
oh this is fantastic, it explains everything. we figured out something was wrong because the 3d-copier would jam when we were far away, and we somehow figured to check the position, and sure enough, it was sitting right on the block edge :)

https://github.com/retsil2/rockweed/issues/1

lister

by lister » Post

quick update on the dev branch: the 3d-copier is fixed, and it now copies full meta, allowing to duplicate containers with arbitrary contents. we are still testing it for the balance, and rewriting code here and there in order to take care of the rockweed trunk meta, which should allow to duplicate things like colored trunks, as well as preserve the orientation.

a random question for minetest gurus: what is the easiest way to access the node's inventory and erase all items except for the stack in the first slot? also, how about setting the stack count in the first inventory slot to 1?

lister

by lister » Post

yo yo yo :|)

the dev branch rewrite is complete, and pushed out for testing

the biggest change is almost everything goes through the voxel array now, and so all growth should happen correctly even in unloaded blocks

torches are gone, and will be replaced by something more useful for lighting up narrow caves

the floor pattern changed the trunk suggestion

the 3d-copier now copies chest contents by default, allowing players to dupe pretty much anything. this behavior is intended to re-balance the farming of really annoying, hard-to-build items, so that they only need to be made from scratch once.

lister

by lister » Post

good bye github, hello gitlab :)

lister

by lister » Post

v2 master branch release brings numerous logic and balance improvements.

* trunk list expanded
* torches pattern replaced by starburst pattern
* flex wall pattern added
* floor trunk suggestion moved
* chaos star replaced all other star types
* 3d-copier dupes container contents by default
* voxel arrays insure correct behavior across block boundaries

~ happy digging @ hightime ~

lister

by lister » Post

v6 master branch release brings a few non-critical bug fixes and more balance tinkering

(the best version so far)

lister

by lister » Post

the dev branch now features 3 privs to help admis control who can dupe what

Code: Select all

priv             allows                              what can be duped

rockweed         planting seeds & growing patterns   common trunks
rockweed3d       arming 3d-copier for shallow copy   anything buildable
rockweed3dmeta   arming 3d-copier for deep copy      any chest + contents

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I gotta say, a 3d copier function seems like feature creep for a cave vegetation mod.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

lister

by lister » Post

not arguing here, just musing about the balance
Mantar wrote:I gotta say, a 3d copier function seems like feature creep for a cave vegetation mod.
hehehehehehehe you would think so, right? but actually it's an integral feature having to do with gamer safety. may be it's just a russian in me (we've been duping items since diablo i), but if i can't dupe, and have to build the second mining drill mk3 from scratch, what with unstackable batteries and all, then i would rather have you slice my wrists right now.

seriously though, this is a very good feature, and it has nowhere to creep except backwards, meaning that we will keep working on duping balance issues. now that we got privs rolling, there's basically no 3d-copier, except for admins. but now we also got the situation where an admin can give the 3d-copy privs to people for a limited amount of time, which is kind of like a really slow super-nerfed give. Duping once takes like 15 minutes, and one has to be nearby for them to work, and if that's still too much, one can also meddle with chances and/or meta duping.

for example, one of the most precious things one can dupe without meta is like a rare ore. one can find a stone with mithril node, say, build a copier next to it, and then mine unlimited mithril. think about it: this is about as much trouble (if not more!) as just walking down the same cave looking for another mithril ore. other use cases are things like high-end technic machines, and again, once you have the materials, is there a machine that would take 15 minutes to build? so the 3d-copier with deep copy disabled is more like a fancy autocrafter for lazy people, which by the way takes a whole damn building.

lister

by lister » Post

rockweed v7 stable is out, with a whole bunch of must-have features:
  • ♠ privs ahoy, for a fine-grain control of who can grow what
    ♠ more trunks, including all kinds of dirt, ice, stone with ore
    ♠ more patterns:
    • ♥ ceiling
      ♥ downward crystal
      ♥ stairs

lister

by lister » Post

rockweed v11 stable is out, with a texture update & more trunks

jonadab
GitHub: tsadok
IRC: jonadab
In-game: jonadab

by jonadab » Post

actually it's an integral feature having to do with gamer safety. may be it's just a russian in me (we've been duping items since diablo i), but if i can't dupe, and have to build the second mining drill mk3 from scratch, what with unstackable batteries and all, then i would rather have you slice my wrists right now.
The need to gather resources, versus the ability to freely have arbitrarily many of anything, is really the only meaningful difference between the normal gameplay mode in Minetest Game (which is the mode I prefer most of the time), versus playing with the creative checkbox ticked (which, I do also use sometimes, e.g. to quickly test out unfamiliar mods to see if I like them, before including them in any of my normal-mode worlds).

Personally, I would be interested in this mod, if it _didn't_ have the "duplicate all the things" feature, but I really can't see myself including it in any of my normal-mode worlds with that featured enabled.

Are the rockweed3d and rockweed3dmeta permissions at least turned off by default?

lister

Re: [Mod] Rockweed - The Cave Growable & Space Filler [rockweed]

by lister » Post

all rockweed privs are off by default if you join multiplayer, and on by default in singleplayer or for server hosts. we are not at all opposed to making it off by default in singleplayer, we just never looked into that. our server, hightime hardcore survivor, has the mod installed, and by default new players have absolutely no access to its duping mech. they can craft, dig, & place the glowies, but their seeds cannot grow.