No creative or survival mode on dedicated server

paradigm

No creative or survival mode on dedicated server

by paradigm » Post

Hi everyone. I've been working the past 3 days to get my dedicated server up the family to use, and got nice mods running on it. But I haven't been able to get survival mode to work. I put "creative_mode = true" in minetest.conf and world.mt. It only works in local single player mode, not on my server. So I just gave my self a diamond pick axe and called it a day. With Unified Inventory I can get anything I need as long as I'm logged in as admin so I find that I don't really need creative mode anymore, however I still wonder why It wouldn't work.

Now I want to get the server into survival mode so I can get huds and hunger to work, but I can't even get the basic health bars to show up or take any damage outside of single player mode. Again I edited minetest.conf and world.mt to contain "creative_mode = false" and "enable_damage = true", but I still can't take damage and I have no health bars unless I'm in single player mode. What do I need to do to get the dedicated server in survival? Are there some other config files I'm supposed to be editing? I can't fathom what I am missing here.

I'm running Minetest 0.4.16 on Ubuntu 17.10 installed from repository.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: No creative or survival mode on dedicated server

by Krock » Post

You edited the correct setting files - for the current world is `world.mt` the one that matters.
0) Close all Minetest processes
1) Check for setting duplicates in the file world.mt in the affected world directory
2) Mainmenu, select the world, check "Host Server" and ensure that creative & damage are enabled

Singleplayer is the same as a server, just with a different listening address/port. So it's quite confusing that it works in one case but not the other.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

paradigm

by paradigm » Post

I have discovered that when I issue the server command "/set enable_damage" it returns "enable_damage = false" I can enable damage now by typing "enable_damage = true", but as soon as I restart the server it's set back to false again.

I checked the settings in the client application under "advanced settings" -> Server/Singleplayer -> game, and there enable_damage is "enabled", and that setting doesn't change after restarting the server and application, even though the /set enable_damage command returns false.

Also I should have mentioned that even after setting enable_damage to true, there is still no health or status bar. But the screen flashes red when i take damage and I can die.

paradigm

by paradigm » Post

ok so I uninstalled both the client and the stand alone server completely with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge [package]
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove
Then I reinstalled minetest and minetest-server respectively. I didn't add any mods or anything but I did edit the minetest.conf file to add the name argument, and I edited world.mt to make enable_damage = true. It didn't help. Connecting to my server I still have no status health status bar and damage is not enabled, and if I enable it, it still gets disabled when I restart the service with "$ systemctl restart minetest-server".

Running a non-dedicated server through the client works fine however. I get damage and hearts and everything. But I don't want to have to leave the program running 24/7.

Code: Select all

$ minetestserver --version
Minetest 0.4.16 (Linux)
Build info: VER=0.4.16 BUILD_TYPE=None RUN_IN_PLACE=0 USE_GETTEXT=1 USE_SOUND=1 USE_CURL=1 USE_FREETYPE=1 USE_LUAJIT=1 STATIC_SHAREDIR="/usr/share/games/minetest"