[Server] Capture the Flag Server

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!)

by rubenwardy » Post

Enrikoo wrote:Image
You don't actually lose any points for dying. You gain more points for defeating better opponents.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Enrikoo
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

by Enrikoo » Post

Always true, please talk to Shara about homthack what she heard about him. homthack is impersonating others, he like it, Shara want to stay away from homthack.

Punk

by Punk » Post

Very nice!
There no have a score by teams, red x blue?
Armors can be a good idea?

ThomasMonroe
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared

by ThomasMonroe » Post

rubenwardy, I have a suggestion for the dynamic of the game.
As I play there more, the more apparent only the players good at PvP win the most points.
I think that something should be done about the people who are better at say, building defenses or sharpshooting.
perhaps you get a set score for digging certain nodes or the damage gets upped as the range goes up for the rifle and shotgun.

I also had an idea for grenade arrows that actually destroy nodes within 2 blocks.
I don't make messes, I just, er...disturb the local entropy!

Punk

by Punk » Post

When a guy loses the flag, it come back to the opponent base, ins't? The flag could stay where this guy died.
No restart everything when the flag is captured, could have a limit score by teams, like a two-out-of-three series or three-out-of-five series, something like that.
Avoid to change constantly players of team.

Enrikoo
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

by Enrikoo » Post

Heh, i saw in blue base, someone is trying to use inapropriate client to make that base so. Furnaces are disabled i thought.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Enrikoo wrote:I'm still the best in PvP but much players killed me so i have more deaths than Waterbug
Best out of who???
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Post

I'm asking to reduce size of players inventory to 8 slots and to increase size of team storage twice. Too much noob players take too much useful items and do nothing. They usually stay near base and wait for anyone to kill them.

Ruto
IRC: Ruto
In-game: Ruto

by Ruto » Post

I agree, a lot of players stole stuff and they stay in the base and they dosen't defend, players always take the cobble, wood, glass, torch and they dosen't defend the base i don't like these players.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Xudo wrote:I'm asking to reduce size of players inventory to 8 slots and to increase size of team storage twice. Too much noob players take too much useful items and do nothing. They usually stay near base and wait for anyone to kill them.
This may cause other problems: it will make difficult to take the stuff of killed players.
But anyway the problem is real, just consider that several times, I killed an opposite player that had a steel sword, while I had stone (so obviously it was a noob), and this player had in total up to 4 steel swords in its stuff!!

We could make the green zone bigger in chest, and experienced players should be aware of this problem (how?).
I think most of the noobs are playing on Android, and maybe using illegal clones (that's not rare). Besides being little experienced, they use a tool that is not handy. There could be for example random messages that recommend to use a computer.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Some comments about results and beginning of the next game:
  • The winner team should be displayed clearly at the end of the game, maybe with additional information like duration, kills from both teams, and captures. Currently only the game rankings are shown.
  • At the end of the game, preparation of the next game begins instantly, so we immediately start to search in the chests and don't take the time to watch the results or the all-time rankings. We could add a delay of 30s or like between 2 games (with pvp disabled), and players are respawned after.
  • The best would be if these data were available on your website, with history of games.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

All very good suggestions. I'm currently working on a new feature which will increase the time between matches. I was going to release it a few days ago, but I'm struggling with Minetest-related bugs.

The "pro" section hasn't yet been adjusted for the new scoring system, so the requirement is way too low. I'd also like to add a minimum KD requirement too

When the round ends, the round summary is shown and the round's data is deleted. This means it is not possible to show old round's data. I used to have a webpage with the top scores as shown on /rankings, but I've not set that up on the new server.

As for the hoarding items issue, I suggest rewarding points for putting good items in the chest. If you take the item out, the points are then taken away. If you take out more than you put in, I don't think it should be negative - it should only be a reward for contributing. It should also stop you taking things from the chest if you already have that item - say if you have a steel sword above 50%, you can't take another steel sword.

CTF is currently rather repetitive, and can be won over and over by being a lone hero. My aim for development is to improve the variety of matches, increase strategy, and incentivise co-op. I've been working on quality of life features since I started the server up again, and I'll now be able to add some more interesting features.

One problem I see with CTF is that inventory matters too much. Once you die, you're out of the game essentially. There's also a lot of chest searching. I'd like to add armour and such, but I can't do this whilst it exaggerates the value of items too much. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Hello profile reader

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

The server is laggy and at times in the night its quite hard to see as those jungle leaves are dark.Another thing is spamming. Guns are spammable.

Btw my account,i.e, hey is banned from the server due to spamming but I dont remember doing that so could you please look into that and also is there any irc server?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

It could be something to do with this:

Code: Select all

2017-11-29 19:20:54 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:20:57 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:20:59 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:00 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:02 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:03 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:04 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:05 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:20:54 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:20:57 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:20:59 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:00 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:02 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:03 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:04 blue<hey>  
2017-11-29 19:21:05 blue<hey>   
2017-11-29 19:21:20 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:28 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:29 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:29 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:30 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:30 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:31 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:33 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:46 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:47 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:48 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:48 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:49 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:50 blue<hey> HEY
2017-11-29 19:21:50 blue<hey> HEYT
2017-11-29 19:21:50 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:21:52 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:21:54 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:21:55 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:21:57 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:21:58 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:21:59 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:22:00 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:22:02 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:22:03 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:22:03 blue<Emt>  
2017-11-29 19:22:04 blue<Emt>  t
2017-11-29 19:22:08 blue<Emt>  t
2017-11-29 19:22:58 red<SNIPER>  I AM HEY
2017-11-29 19:23:01 red<SNIPER>  I AM HEY
2017-11-29 19:23:02 red<SNIPER>  I AM HEY
2017-11-29 19:23:02 red<SNIPER>  I AM HEY
2017-11-29 19:23:03 red<SNIPER>  I AM HEY
2017-11-29 19:23:04 red<SNIPER>  I AM HEY
2017-11-29 19:23:06 red<SNIPER>  I AM HEY
2017-11-29 19:23:38 blue<SNIPER1> I WAS HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2017-11-29 19:23:49 blue<SNIPER1> I WAS HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2017-11-29 19:28:49 blue<tus1> i was hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2017-11-29 19:29:06 blue<tus1> why i was kicked??????????????????'''
2017-11-29 19:29:23 blue<tus1> why i was kicked??????????????????'''

Hello profile reader

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

rubenwardy wrote:My aim for development is to improve the variety of matches, increase strategy, and incentivise co-op. I've been working on quality of life features since I started the server up again, and I'll now be able to add some more interesting features.
Have you thought about the terrain? IMO it would be one of the best things to improve. Changing it sometimes, or at every round, would greatly improve variety of matches. Also having natural obstacles to cross (e.g. canyon or mountain) could add more challenge.
We could generate several arenas and switch between them at every round.
Another idea: writing a Lua mapgen that generates symmetrical terrain, and regenerate every time with a different seed. The problem is that this will increase a lot server lag during mapgen, but if all is generated at once at the beginning, this may not be a problem.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

A cheat I saw this night around 2am UTC (btw good year to everyone):
Spoiler
craftgirl was actually a red player that was wearing blue (cheat), tried to steal the flag, and then voluntarily died on the flag, obstructing it, and didn't respawn.

The fact of being red with a blue skin is clearly cheating, but obstructing the flag is not, and we should do something to avoid it (and also ban craftgirl).

Xudo

by Xudo » Post

rubenwardy wrote:As for the hoarding items issue, I suggest rewarding points for putting good items in the chest. If you take the item out, the points are then taken away. If you take out more than you put in, I don't think it should be negative - it should only be a reward for contributing. It should also stop you taking things from the chest if you already have that item - say if you have a steel sword above 50%, you can't take another steel sword.
I think scoring system will be too complex.

I suggest: steel tools are respawnable pickups. They can be found on the map. Each tool on own place. Then player dies, his steel tools disappears. Limit each player with 1 tool of each type.
Stone tools are opposite. They can be crafted and they fall on the ground once player is killed.

I imagine pickups like this
Spoiler

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Oops! I just realised that I made a mistake in the pro section code, and any player with more than no score could access it. Now fixed. The requirements for the section has also been increased to 2k score and a KD bigger than 2

Hello profile reader

rnd
GitHub: ac-minetest
IRC: ac_minetest
In-game: rnd

by rnd » Post

craftgirl was actually a red player that was wearing blue (cheat),
/me looks for red players.. all blue. /me looks again, nope, no red :)

Seems like someone got some ideas after reading 'formspec safety' topic ?
like for example:
https://github.com/rubenwardy/ctf_pvp_e ... rs/gui.lua, line 23 :)
hmmmmm..

also good for cheaters:

https://github.com/rubenwardy/ctf_pvp_e ... ag/gui.lua

Code: Select all

minetest.register_on_player_receive_fields(function(player, formname, fields)
	-- Todo: fix security issue here
	local name = player:get_player_name()
	if formname == "ctf:flags" then
		for key, field in pairs(fields) do
			local x,y,z = string.match(key, "goto_([%d-]+)_([%d-]+)_([%d-]+)")
			if x and y and z then
				player:setpos({ x=tonumber(x), y=tonumber(y), z=tonumber(z) })
				return true
			end
		end
	end
end)
Just from looking at this code i got few 'ideas' - wont say what though...

Less likely: maybe minetest somehow 'skips' over team assign after skin is assign? BTW - it still happens sometimes (0.4.16 server) , that i place a chest and there is no inventory, cause minetest 'skipped' inventory setup for that node.
1EvCmxbzl5KDu6XAunE1K853Lq6VVOsT

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

rnd wrote:Seems like someone got some ideas after reading 'formspec safety' topic ?
like for example:
https://github.com/rubenwardy/ctf_pvp_e ... rs/gui.lua, line 23 :)
hmmmmm..
That's not an issue. ctf.can_mod checks that the player is either a team manager (there are none in capturetheflag) or a CTF admin (the only one is me)
rnd wrote:also good for cheaters:

https://github.com/rubenwardy/ctf_pvp_e ... ag/gui.lua

Just from looking at this code i got few 'ideas' - wont say what though...
Ah shit, I realised this was an issue at the time (hence the comment). I thought I had disabled this piece of code, but apparently not. I must have either not commited or forgot about it.
rnd wrote:Less likely: maybe minetest somehow 'skips' over team assign after skin is assign? BTW - it still happens sometimes (0.4.16 server) , that i place a chest and there is no inventory, cause minetest 'skipped' inventory setup for that node.
That would be odd. I'd find it more likely that it's caused by the skin change packet being dropped when 100s of packets are sent on a new map. I'll have to investigate at some point

Hello profile reader

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Updates
  • Players with more than 10,000 score can join the server even if max users is reached, up to a maximum of 10 over the user limit. This score requirement may change in the future.
  • Added sprinting.
  • Added team doors.
  • Fixed pro section and increased requirements to 2000 score and 2 K/D.
  • You can use rankings to see a player's score, for example: /rankings rubenwardy
  • Added stairs, slabs, and killme.
  • Various attempts to improve performance
  • Fixed vulnerability mentioned above
Obviously none of these are the super exciting new feature I mentioned, I haven't got around to fixing the bugs with it yet.

Hello profile reader

Xudo

by Xudo » Post

I don't think kill/death requirement is good. One skilled player can restrict whole enemy team from using pro-section.
In last matchup I found that I was unable to put steel swords in pro section and it wasn't clear why.

I propose to print players score in team chest formspec.

Ruto
IRC: Ruto
In-game: Ruto

by Ruto » Post

i think you should make a function that allows just 1 item for example:1 steel sword only

Xudo

by Xudo » Post

One more evening playing CTF. Today I mostly kill people because I want to reach pro section.
My thoughts:
1. Apples should be limited. Good player with steel sword and stack of apples can literally live on the base. I think 10 apples at the moment should be max value.
2. Respawn and flag site should be separated. Noobs tend to build around the place where they have spawned and make holes to get out of respawn.
3. Pick should not be given on respawn. Good players can craft pick, noob players don't know how to use it. They constantly make holes in stone fortifications.
4. I think falling sand will be good for fortifications. You can't make hole in sand wall, unless you dig whole column.
5. Best base is just hole 3 blocks deep, 3 blocks wide around spawn.
6. At the start of the battle, stone should be in pro section of team chest. Because noobs tend to build box around the flag (which is not good idea).
7. Players should get better swords once they respawn. It takes ages to kill anyone with current wooden sword.

Now my tactic is: get 1 steel sword for myself. Kill people between bases. Collect all steel tools. Bury steel tools somewhere on the map. I dig hole, drop things, place dirt.
After some time, teams run out of steel sword. If you have the only steel sword, you are much powerful than anyone else. Even if you die, you can dig out hidden sword and fight back.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

That's not the kind of game play I want to encourage. I want players to build bases to protect themselves from the enemy walking in, and I want there to be co-operation between players (ie: not destroying or hogging weapons). My inspiration for this subgame is King Arthur's Gold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVdWmkEWWtw

I am planning on moving the respawn position elsewhere, I did have an algorithm for this but it broke. Picks are needed to stop players getting trapped, but changing the respawn position and such should help with this.
I do want there to be a keep around the flag, and will be adding reinforced stone to make keeps stronger.
I will also need to solve the issue of death taking you out of the game - this is partially solved by having a pro-section, but not quite enough.

Hello profile reader