Stupid Questions - The Topic

Punk

Stupid Questions - The Topic

by Punk » Post

Hey, guys! Put your amazing question here!

1) How can I check versions of subgames and mobs?

2) Is it difficult to learn Lua programming language?

3) What the best way to clean lava lakes to search below?

4) Where do I find river water?

Thanks!

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: Stupid Questions - The Topic

by GreenXenith » Post

Punk wrote:1) How can I check versions of subgames and mobs?
Well, you can always look at the forum post. Otherwise, you can look in the README or version.txt (yeah, I have seen a few of those).
2) Is it difficult to learn Lua programming language?
Not really. There are much harder languages out there. Some of the Lua API is stupid, but other than that it's easy (I think) to learn.
3) What the best way to clean lava lakes to search below?
I find sand/gravel works well. Water works too, but obsidian is not the easiest to mine.
4) Where do I find river water?
You don't.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

by Joseph16 » Post

Is it dangerous to play minetest at 3:00 am?
Testin' mines since 1989

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

@Punk: Interestingly you start with some very good questions.
1) I recommend cloning them from git directly, so you can simply run "git log -1" to see how new it is - and update quickly using "git pull" :)
2) Yeah, somewhat difficult. /s
3) Like above - sand and an occasional water bucket
4) mg_name = valleys

@Joseph13: Not at all. The oerkkis will be happy about the late midnight snack.

What's the fastest way to make a 1x1 pile?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

Why does setting player_transfer_distance = <anything other than 0> seem to have no effect?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

@AccidentallyRhine If you set that in-game, you'll have to restart the server to apply the new settings.
However, if you set it manually and there aren't any Minetest processes active that use that configuration file, then update to 0.4.16 or newer (if possible).
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Deleted
Last edited by u19503 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

River water only generates naturally in rivers in the “valleys” mapgen.
https://wiki.minetest.net/River_Water

xianjiro

by xianjiro » Post

Have tried consulting both the wiki and these forums but I don't get the relationship between mapgen(s) and Minetest or minetest_game nor have I found any way to select such when starting up the game. Mostly I'm just trying to understand which version of mapgen I'm seeing in my game.

I'm playing v.0.4.16.

So which mapgen am I most likely using?

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

xianjiro wrote:Have tried consulting both the wiki and these forums but I don't get the relationship between mapgen(s) and Minetest or minetest_game nor have I found any way to select such when starting up the game. Mostly I'm just trying to understand which version of mapgen I'm seeing in my game.

I'm playing v.0.4.16.

The default is v7 as of 0.4.16. When you press "New" on the menu, under the world name and seed you can set the mapgen. To find it after you create your world, you can look in your world's map_meta.txt, it should say something like mg_v7 or mgflat, etc...
There is v5 (no idea), v6 (normal), v7 (somewhat-crazy, interesting, floatlands), flat (flat - duh), fractal (fractals.. julia? I don't remember), and valleys (self-explanatory). There is singlenode (air), but I don't think it shows up by default. In the next release we will have Carpathian :3
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

xianjiro

by xianjiro » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
xianjiro wrote:Have tried consulting both the wiki and these forums but I don't get the relationship between mapgen(s) and Minetest or minetest_game nor have I found any way to select such when starting up the game. Mostly I'm just trying to understand which version of mapgen I'm seeing in my game.

I'm playing v.0.4.16.

The default is v7 as of 0.4.16. When you press "New" on the menu, under the world name and seed you can set the mapgen. To find it after you create your world, you can look in your world's map_meta.txt, it should say something like mg_v7 or mgflat, etc...
There is v5 (no idea), v6 (normal), v7 (somewhat-crazy, interesting, floatlands), flat (flat - duh), fractal (fractals.. julia? I don't remember), and valleys (self-explanatory). There is singlenode (air), but I don't think it shows up by default. In the next release we will have Carpathian :3
Okay, now it all makes sense. Thanks! :)

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

In the node registration, what is the relationship between wield_image and inventory_image, if one or the other is not specified? Or is it always necessary to specify both if you want them to be the same image?

Just curious, since I'm always looking for ways to avoid redundancy :)

Edit: Nvm, upon further testing I discovered the two values are completely independent. I'll keep the question here for reference :)
Last edited by sorcerykid on Thu Dec 21, 2017 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Gerald
In-game: gerald7

by Gerald » Post

sorcerykid wrote:In the node registration, what is the relationship between wield_image and inventory_image, if one or the other is not specified? Or is it always necessary to specify both if you want them to be the same image?

Just curious, since I'm always looking for ways to avoid redundancy :)
https://dev.minetest.net/minetest.register_node wrote: inventory_image — This texture will be used for every state except when placed in the world (i.e. it will be used in inventory and when dropped). If undefined (nil) an image will be automatically constructed from tiles.
wield_image — The texture to display in place of the hand texture when the node is wielded. If undefined (nil), the inventory image will be used.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Okay, another question. With particle spawners, what is he difference between the parameters attached and playername?

It seems that attached actually attaches the particle spawner to a single player, whereas playername shows the particlespawner only to a single player. However, the attached parameter is not even mentioned in the wiki:

http://dev.minetest.net/minetest.add_particlespawner

Apparently, it was added to the engine over a year ago, according to this pull request:

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/4409

So is there any more complete documentation about these two parameters and their behavior with relationship to one another?

Edit: Nvm, upon closer inspection I see the lua_api.txt was updated. It is the wiki page that is obsolete.

AccidentallyRhine

In the documentation for server commands, it states that banning should work for players whether online or offline.

"Banning a player prevents him/her to connect to the server again. The player does not need to be connected at this time."

However, when I try this it just fails with "No such player". Broken for both LAN and dedicated server 0.4.16. This is the only thing keeping me from dropping xban2. Is there a possible configuration I'm overlooking?

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

AccidentallyRhine wrote:In the documentation for server commands, it states that banning should work for players whether online or offline.

"Banning a player prevents him/her to connect to the server again. The player does not need to be connected at this time."

However, when I try this it just fails with "No such player". Broken for both LAN and dedicated server 0.4.16. This is the only thing keeping me from dropping xban2. Is there a possible configuration I'm overlooking?
I believe the wiki is fake news about that. I use xban for the same reason.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

AccidentallyRhine wrote:In the documentation for server commands, it states that banning should work for players whether online or offline.

This is a legitimate bug. Banning a player should be possible even if that player has logged off. The documentation is probably correct, but the engine has a b0rkage.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Joseph13 wrote:Is it dangerous to play minetest at 3:00 am?
Not quite … But beware: Playing Minetest at night is a way to time travel. If you look at the clock at 3am and start playing a second later you look at the clock again and it is 8am :D

AccidentallyRhine

sofar wrote:This is a legitimate bug. Banning a player should be possible even if that player has logged off. The documentation is probably correct, but the engine has a b0rkage.
Thanks, sofar.I see you have already opened an issue. I would have done so earlier had I known it was a bug.

Punk

by Punk » Post

Joseph13 wrote:Is it dangerous to play minetest at 3:00 am?
Yep, read about circadian rhythm and melatonin.

I know it was a joke, but I really have these problems.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Punk wrote:Yep, read about circadian rhythm and melatonin.
Actually … If I would life after my circadian rhythm I would get up around 1-2pm and go to bed around 5-6am with my most active phase somewhere around 11pm. Welcome to my life of constant tiredness because of socially enforced chrononormative behavior.