The GrimHarvest. A Darker Sub-game w/Screenshots

Scarecrowman
In-game: Scarecrowman

The GrimHarvest. A Darker Sub-game w/Screenshots

by Scarecrowman » Post

Hello, Scarecrowman here.

So, I've been using Minecraft for years. I recently heard of Minetest and decided it was time to ditch Mojang. I'm excited to announce that I am planning this HUGE project. This thread is ONLY a discussion board about a planned Subgame Series. This is where concepts for GrimHarvest will be discussed, where feedback and suggestions will be provided and production choices will be made.

Some notes about this long-term project:

1.) It will include fully fledged, 100% scratch-made, pro-quality sub-games, (*to include but not limited to: Mobs, Items, Environments, Gameplays and Maps,) with themes that draw upon harvest time, from Samhain to Yule, Celtic Mythos and particularly Horror elements.

2.) It will be a continually run project, which means that I will be working piecemeal on Graphics, Mods and Subgames and will release individual slivers as they're completed, until whole projects are finished.

I'll be throwing you bread crumbs.

My current idea list includes these additions to the GrimHarvest Mod Series:

The Starter Pack will Include:
1.) The Everautumn Textures Pack (Already started. It will have a very autumn/horror halloween flavor.)
2.) Cornucopia: The Farming Mod REDO Re-Texture (I'm also looking into adding random Jack'o'lantern textures, Corn and Turnips.)
3.) Basic Beasts: A Spooky CME REDO.
4.) Harrowscapes: Spooky Environments including Immersive Sounds and some additions to landscape.
(I.E. Dead Trees and Twilight Skies.)

THE FIRST FEW PACKS (to work alongside a decent Mob API, perhaps Minetest's if they make one):
1.) Ghosts and Ghoulies I Pack:
Mob 1: RAVEN (Passive) - Blackbirds which will pick at your crops, if you don't keep a Jack'O'Lantern near.
Mob 2: BETTER ZOMBIE I (Monster) - Your good old, run-of-the-mill zombie, done the RIGHT way.
(w/RANDOM SKINS.)
Mob 3: SKELETON (Monster) - Can roam about at night. Equipped with either bows or swords or axes.
Mob 4: PUMPKIN HEAD (Monster) - Creeper-like monsters that grow out of old Jack'O'Lanterns that sit too long.
Mob 5: LEMURE (Monster) - Dark Spirits that can only be seen at night.

2.) Ghosts & Ghoulies II Pack:
Mob 1: WALKING HAND (Monster) - Giant zombie hand that walks around like a spider.
Mob 2: HALF ZOMBIE (Monster) - A zombie that crawls around with its arms. No legs.
Mob 3: CAVE BAT (Passive) - A cave bat...
Mob 4: HEADLESS HAUNT (Monster) - Fast moving creepies that have no heads.
Mob 5: KODAMA (NEUTRAL) - Little tree ghosts. They don't attack until you do, but in swarms!

3.) Ruin Castles Pack:
New Mob 1: GARGOYLE / LIVING-STATUE (Monster) Will attack you when you get too close. Hard to notice.
New Mob 2: LICH (Monster/Mini-Boss) Undead, Necromantic Zombie.
New Generated Environments: Ruined Castles with Dungeons and Buried Treasure
New Item: TOMES of ARCANA - Unreadable books that hint at xxxxxxx??
New Resource: xxxxxxx - THE REST IS TOP SECRET FOR NOW. ;P

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE ONLY PROTOTYPES AND ARE LIABLE TO ALTERATIONS.

The Raven,

The Lemure,

A recent model by Toby, "Pumpkin Lord"

What I need to accomplish this task:

1.) I'll be recruiting volunteers who are interested in helping. I've done some programming in the past, but I'm a novice. Also I've never used Lua and will definitely need help. You can PM me or post a question below for more details.

2.) I'm also looking for Suggestions, Criticisms and lots of Feedback.

My current project is the EverAutumn texture pack, which will be available to download for Minetest by Christmas. Take a look at these, OUTDATED, preview screenshots:

I will be adding better pictures very soon!

-Scarecrowman
Last edited by Scarecrowman on Fri Dec 08, 2017 20:12, edited 7 times in total.
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night..."
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: GRIM-HARVEST. A Darker Mod Series w/ (Screenshots)

by sofar » Post

Having a consistent texture pack for a specific project is a great start. Artwork with one vision will really help.

I encourage you to hop into #minetest-hub on freenode and meet folks that may be of help - developers, server owners, avid players and builders all hang out there to discuss technical and community issues, and many are able to answer questions you may have, either technical or not.

Scarecrowman

by Scarecrowman » Post

sofar wrote:Having a consistent texture pack for a specific project is a great start. Artwork with one vision will really help.

I encourage you to hop into #minetest-hub on freenode and meet folks that may be of help - developers, server owners, avid players and builders all hang out there to discuss technical and community issues, and many are able to answer questions you may have, either technical or not.
Hey Sofar, thanks for the tip. I'll check out minetest-hub sounds like a good place for me to get involved.

The texture pack will be finished by Christmas, and I'll be posting more screens of it soon.
Designed a new mob today. Well it's a prototype:
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night..."
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Scarecrowman wrote:
sofar wrote:Having a consistent texture pack for a specific project is a great start. Artwork with one vision will really help.

Hey Sofar, thanks for the tip. I'll check out minetest-hub sounds like a good place for me to get involved.

The texture pack will be finished by Christmas, and I'll be posting more screens of it soon.
Designed a new mob today. Well it's a prototype:
I should mention this before you get too heavy on semi-transparency, as the resident Blender nut.

Entities cannot support semi-transparency, only fully transparent, or entirely opaque. I should mention this also applies to player entities as well, despite being two different code classes, the last time I checked.

Blocks (nodes) can, on the other hand. Except there's a handful of issues related to that when near water.

Additionally, that entities are single-sided, eg, a normal for a tri facing away from the camera will not be rendered, and if the camera is facing it, it'll render.

On the other hand, the above does not apply to player models, and are double sided, even if the model has tris/quads that are facing away from the camera entirely.

Here's a bog-standard entity:

As you can see, there is no "hair" where it should be, and as you can see, it's single sided.

Here's a player in third person view:

As you can see, the "hair" can be seen from the inside, as well as it's outside.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Oooh this is some really promising stuff sign me up for models textures and concepts :)

Scarecrowman

by Scarecrowman » Post

Jordach wrote: I should mention this before you get too heavy on semi-transparency, as the resident Blender nut.

Entities cannot support semi-transparency, only fully transparent, or entirely opaque. I should mention this also applies to player entities as well, despite being two different code classes, the last time I checked...
NOTED. Thanks for the valuable info Jordach.
I was actually wondering about transparency and models in Minetest.

On another note, most of this stuff can be made to look ghostly with the right coloration, it doesn't NEED to be transparent. Although to have support for that would be fun.

In other news, here is another test prototype model:
Introducing "Pumpkin Head".
toby109tt wrote:Oooh this is some really promising stuff sign me up for models textures and concepts :)
You're hired, bro. Show me some ideas.
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

u19503

by u19503 » Post

here you go scaircrow made with love by me :D
please give me feedback (be honest i dident get this good becouse of lies XD )
bdw im not really happy with the texture
i call him the pumpkin lord (hes suposed to be a boss)

Scarecrowman

by Scarecrowman » Post

toby109tt wrote:here you go scaircrow made with love by me :D
OH... MY... GOD...

You're now on the team. +10000
(Finally someone who gets what I'm going for.)

You've been doing this a while haven't you?
Do you have a skype or something, we need to talk.
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

toby109tt wrote:here you go scaircrow made with love by me :D
^ The Great Pumpkin
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Scarecrowman

by Scarecrowman » Post

Stix wrote: ^ The Great Pumpkin
That's a possible name. I always did love charlie brown.
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

u19503

by u19503 » Post

a hallowed night
a consept imege i made :D
moon is made by me from scrach and all the textures (apart from the dirt and tree trink) are made by me they are actually farland texture resicles

dirt is made by Scarecrowman (but rcolored by me)
and the tree wood side texture is made by D00Med

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

What am I able to do to help?
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

Scarecrowman

by Scarecrowman » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:What am I able to do to help?
Hey, thanks for your interest.
What are you able to do? Are you a programmer or an artist or a concept designer??
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

Scarecrowman

Re: The GrimHarvest. A Darker Sub-game w/Screenshots

by Scarecrowman » Post

Currently looking for programmers who are familiar with Lua. The plan is to begin preliminary programming shortly after Christmas for the Ghost and Ghoulies I module for the Subgame. EverAutumn pack will be released by then so you can see the art quality, but before we can move on programming I need someone to help me understand Lua and potentially help with a good majority of the Programming aspect.

Is anyone interested or know of anyone who might be?
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

GamingAssociation39

Dev.MineTest.net

GamingAssociation39

Is this subgame still on?

u19503

by u19503 » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:Is this subgame still on?
Yes and please have some patience we're working on the texture pack at the moment
It should be released on the 21st if all goes well

GamingAssociation39

Oh ok just asking :)