This remote media server provides clients with media for your servers, so that your server does not have to provide this download to your players when they connect. This generally speeds up connections and lowers the pressure on your server, and so it's a good thing!
I've taken the "beta" label off this server as I don't foresee any major changes to the project - You should be reminded to check this thread regularly to make sure we haven't announced any changes. As always, this is a volunteer project and we may change policies, stop it, and/or do other things with it if needed. I invite everyone to come help out and use the server.
How do I use this remote media server?
If you're a player, you don't need to do anything.
If you're a server operator, do these things:
1. Put the following entry in your minetest server configuration:
Code: Select all
remote_media = https://minetestmedia.foo-projects.org/
2. Restart your minetest server.
3. (optional) Post in this thread that you've done this on your server!
4. (optional, but recommended) Post mods by github/gitlab/etc. project URL in this thread, so we can add these mods to the media server and keep them up to date automatically.
5. (required) Check back in regularly about the progress of this project, by reading this thread once in a while. We'll post updates, statistics and mod changes in here.
This project is using mtmediasrv viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17411 to serve the media content to clients - this is an efficient implementation that allows the media server to host thousands of files without any problems and not overloading your clients with unneeded data.
A note on mod requirements: mods and assets should be under a freely redistributable license or otherwise free of restrictions for commercial use and allow derivatives. We may at our discretion choose to reject the inclusion of mods for any reason.
You can get a list of currently included mods from this URL: https://minetestmedia.foo-projects.org/remotes. You can use this to check if your favorite mods are already included or not.
PS clients will need to have been built with LibCurl and have
Code: Select all
enable_remote_media_server = true