Let's advertise minetest!

voxelproof

Re: Let's advertise minetest!

by voxelproof » Post

rubenwardy wrote:First announcement was 08/Nov/2010 here: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... hp?t=40468
Early... It looks that branding Minetest a clone of Minecraft does not fully reflect the truth - it's more a younger brother of Mojang's hit. And the father is Infiniminer ;)
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

The two most important quote is ...
Well, the project name is still just random [...]
... so "Minetest" never was intended as the official name of the software.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

And it's about to get trademarked (which I don't still understand, cuz' why anyone wants such a bad name to be trademarked?...)
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:And it's about to get trademarked (which I don't still understand, cuz' why anyone wants such a bad name to be trademarked?...)
To hurt the community
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

If it's really his goal then he is a f***er. Sorry, but I don't have other words.

Scarecrowman
In-game: Scarecrowman

by Scarecrowman » Post

Honestly Toby and Everyone,

I think the best way to go about getting Minetest out there is to just let it take its course. Minecraft started out slow as far back as 2008, but boomed in 2010-2011. About Advertising on the Minecraft forums, I think it would grab attention... but there would have to be something really cool to show MC people. At that, I wonder at the relative morality of using Minecraft traffic to steal interested users.

I'm not even sure if we want Minecraft-fandom on Minetest. Not everyone thinks that Minecraft is abandonware, -like the most of us do. They may raid the project with hate.

Also, a Trademark doesn't do anything to copyright except establish a permanent name that can't be taken by anyone else.
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night..."
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Celeron55 has already made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD1TVZ47xZY

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

I don't know if it is a good idea to aggressively advertise it.
Minecraft belongs to Microsoft now, and they got lawyers.
If big companies see a leak in they big money purse, they are fast to fix it.

And, looking at minetest:
It definitely looks a lot like minecraft.

So, if it grows, it grows. If not, well, not.

I once owned a community with more than 10.000 overall active players (4 servers with each 1000 online at the same time, in multitheftauto), and having such a huge community is definitely not a bliss.
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

paramat wrote:Celeron55 has already made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD1TVZ47xZY
Yeah , I saw it. IMHO it's great and funny. We should really use it on the website. WE SHOULD REALLY RE-DO THE WEBSITE!

Scarecrowman
In-game: Scarecrowman

by Scarecrowman » Post

Vapalus wrote: I once owned a community with more than 10.000 overall active players (4 servers with each 1000 online at the same time, in multitheftauto), and having such a huge community is definitely not a bliss.
That's what I'm kindof saying. Microsoft and Mojang wouldn't want an open source community taking their thunder. They are making a lot of bad decisions, so it wouldn't be hard to garner a larger community.

But I think its more important to keep Minetest where it is, in both its development and current stage of popularity. Its not to be in competition with anyone. My one suggestion is that it remains different, as it has no mobs or gameplay functions... so as to be something different and allows everyone else to turn it into what they need.

So long as Minetest doesn't commercialize itself, everything should stay fine. Advertisement, (the way we're using the word,) makes it sound like we're trying to market a product... and we're not marketing anything. We're offering a gift.
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night..."
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

red-001
GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Post

Wuzzy wrote: ....
I also found an entry on itch.io, but it is very low quality:
https://red-001.itch.io/minetest
It's mostly just a copy of minetest.net at the time, if you want to write a better page, I can give you the needed access to it, likely not worth the time as it only gets around 200-250 views a month and ~500 downloads so far.

slopsbucket

by slopsbucket » Post

There's advertising and then there's advertising.

While sorting problems on someone's computer the other week I noticed that their 12 year old daughter was playing MineCraft on a tablet and I asked her if she had ever heard of MineTest. Of course she hadn't.

Instead of getting her to try the game I directed her to the Maps section to have a look at what people are doing. Her reaction?

"Wow! Hogwarts! Mum, can I download that?"

Cheers,

Andrew.

u34

by u34 » Post

minetest is a good open source project... a engine and a game made by the community for the community.
there are a lot of players which switch from minecraft to minetest because minetest runs faster on their computer system. Thats it.

slopsbucket

by slopsbucket » Post

Not entirely "That's it".

It's not just the game, it's also the community.

And their contributions.

To be able to play without an internet connection, that's important in my part of the world.

To be able to create your own worlds with your own rules and conditions.

To be able to reconfigure the game to however you like with a minimal understanding of code editing.

All of these things and more, it's not just a game, it's Freedom and nice people.

Cheers,

Andrew

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

you dont have to be an adult to know what Lan parties are: Lan parties are when you get a bunch of computers in the same room and hook em all up to a server hosted by one of the puters using Lan (local area network) then u all play together for several hours having fun playing and chatting the whole time; you see what it means now?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Skulls
In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Post

slopsbucket wrote: To be able to reconfigure the game to however you like with a minimal understanding of code editing.
This bit, right here. MineCraft folks are currently blown away by the hint of having different textured stairs and slabs.