Minetest 5.0.0 is on the road

Reedych
GitHub: SlackCoyote
In-game: SlackCoyote

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by Reedych » Post

zing269 wrote:
Reedych wrote: Only C++11 standart. If you find gcc/clang compiler for win XP and with C++11 support, minetest will work, i think...
So far sfan5's x64 builds work for me on XP64.
Congratz! :)
Slackware64 14.2, MT 0.4.16. My best mod.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

zing269 wrote:
Reedych wrote: Only C++11 standart. If you find gcc/clang compiler for win XP and with C++11 support, minetest will work, i think...
So far sfan5's x64 builds work for me on XP64.
Certain builds (or even the official ones) might still work on Windows XP since there isn't really any code that requires Windows newer than XP.

However if code that no longer worse on XP is added at some point, we (the dev team) will not make an effort to ensure that Minetest still works on Windows XP. This is what "XP is no longer supported" essentially means.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

A script needs to be supplied that can compile Minetest 0.5 dev using gcc/clang, because GZDoom uses them and that program (yes, I am referring to the development version) compiles just fine. I am probably going to have to get Eiion_ceo to do this for us.

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

What's gonna be in MineTest 0.5?
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

Reedych

by Reedych » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:What's gonna be in MineTest 0.5?
Read this.

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

by Otter » Post

From a lay programmers view, It is looking like 0.5 is close. The real limiters on 0.5 full release are the deal breaking changes and stability. From what I can see 0.5 is going to be a huge jump towards more stability, but bugs can always be sneaky and hide till the release is committed to.

zargulthewizard
In-game: zargul

by zargulthewizard » Post

Direct consequence: Windows XP is not supported anymore, and old distros like Debian 7 or RHEL/Centos 6.

Please update to Debian 9 or latest RHEL/Centos 7 if you are on those distributions, if you use Windows XP, Microsoft told you to update years ago.
Windows 10 is not an update in my opinion.

I need to forgive Microsoft (God, help me). Basically, I wish Windows XP compatibility wasn't broken (even though I don't play it on Windows XP anymore anyway).
May God be with you, always.

fstltna
GitHub: fstltna
IRC: MarisaG
In-game: MarisaG

by fstltna » Post

Reedych wrote:
GamingAssociation39 wrote:What's gonna be in MineTest 0.5?
Read this.
Thanks for the link!
---- https://MineCity.online - Fan site for Minetest - get Minetest Hosting with first month FREE & $14/month after that
---- https://discord.gg/Bd4Xw9c - Minecity Discord Server - Join today!
---- http://MineCity.online:2000 - Get a free @minecity.online email address

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

zargulthewizard wrote:I wish Windows XP compatibility wasn't broken
Windows XP is 16 years old now, and since 3 years it is officially EOL.

Btw. you can still play MT on XP you just can't compile it anymore because the compiler needed has not XP support.

Reedych

by Reedych » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:

Btw. you can still play MT on XP you just can't compile it anymore because the compiler needed has not XP support.
I think it's possible to compile MT on XP. I think it's not very hard to build GCC 4.9 for XP. Also, you may compile MT with Clang.

Already has MinGW 5.3.0: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/ ... c-5.3.0-3/. What does it need als'?

zargulthewizard

Linuxdirk wrote:

Old doesn't mean not as good.

Long live Windows XP!

Reedych

by Reedych » Post

zargulthewizard wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:

Old doesn't mean not as good.

Long live Windows XP!
Yes. I think it's needed to support XP as long as we can. I'm Linux-er, it's not my real problem, but compassing.

zargulthewizard

I would just use Linux if I knew more about how to compile it and had a more powerful machine. As is, I am still a bit ticked about Microsoft dropping XP support right before I tried to upgrade my mom's machine that we had taken on a special trip to our nearest internet using relatives just for that purpose.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

zargulthewizard wrote:I would just use Linux if I knew more about how to compile it and had a more powerful machine. As is, I am still a bit ticked about Microsoft dropping XP support right before I tried to upgrade my mom's machine that we had taken on a special trip to our nearest internet using relatives just for that purpose.
They announced in advance that they would drop support.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Nyarg wrote:
nrz wrote:Windows XP is not supported anymore
M$ again :( draw my money.

Q:
What exactly component will obtained that make MT unworkable on XP ?
Render ? Audio subsystem ? Sockets ?

Why ???
simple windows xp is like 14 years old
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

fstltna
GitHub: fstltna
IRC: MarisaG
In-game: MarisaG

by fstltna » Post

zargulthewizard wrote:I would just use Linux if I knew more about how to compile it and had a more powerful machine. As is, I am still a bit ticked about Microsoft dropping XP support right before I tried to upgrade my mom's machine that we had taken on a special trip to our nearest internet using relatives just for that purpose.
Linux is much more efficient than XP - i have a 32bit laptop with 1gb ram and ubuntu runs just fine on it...
---- https://MineCity.online - Fan site for Minetest - get Minetest Hosting with first month FREE & $14/month after that
---- https://discord.gg/Bd4Xw9c - Minecity Discord Server - Join today!
---- http://MineCity.online:2000 - Get a free @minecity.online email address

Reedych

by Reedych » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote:
Nyarg wrote:
nrz wrote:Windows XP is not supported anymore
M$ again :( draw my money.

Q:
What exactly component will obtained that make MT unworkable on XP ?
Render ? Audio subsystem ? Sockets ?

Why ???
simple windows xp is like 14 years old
Not very lot :)

zargulthewizard

fstltna wrote:
Linux is much more efficient than XP - i have a 32bit laptop with 1gb ram and ubuntu runs just fine on it...
That tipped me. My intellect says to get a new laptop and put Ubuntu on it. The laptop I have right now I haven't used in a long time because the graphics card and battery are dying. It ran windows XP but it couldn't handle Ubuntu. Of course I need to get God's decision on it. He has the best plans.

If I were to get Ubuntu, do you have any tips? I have installed Debian successfully before, bit I learned stuff on the way that I did not expect to be an issue. Where would I go for PC choices in your opinion?

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

For older hardware, or for that matter, even newer PCs, Lubuntu provides a smaller footprint, thus freeing up more resources. I've ran Lubuntu off a thumb drive on a Dell Inspiron 1505, which is older than 10 years, and had no problems, including playing Minetest. I recently upgraded to newer refurbished desktop and laptop, both running Lubuntu 17.10, and am blown away at the performance boost. Lubuntu simply out performs win 7on every box I've tested.

I've usually just installed flat Ubuntu server, with no options selected, and put lxde-desktop on top, giving me the smallest possible footprint.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Enough offtopic, you can start a new thread in offtopic for this.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

So... When is this new version coming out? It has numerous performance improvements over 0.4.16 that my poor old computer could really use. I can compile the latest development version, but that one can't join any of the servers that are using the current stable version's coding.

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

by Otter » Post

It appears that we are currently enjoying the use of 0.5 and 4.16 at the same time with no strong urgency to move everyone to 0.5.

I think this is a good thing and it probably gives the programmers a bit more of a feeling of leeway on making changes to the current/future version, 0.5. I currently prefer 0.5 to 4.16 and I consider it well past beta and more stable than the stable version 4.16.

Until the programmers decide that keeping two versions going is becoming an ordeal, I am quite happy with this moment, where we have two choices.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

Otter wrote:It appears that we are currently enjoying the use of 0.5 and 4.16 at the same time with no strong urgency to move everyone to 0.5.

I think this is a good thing and it probably gives the programmers a bit more of a feeling of leeway on making changes to the current/future version, 0.5. I currently prefer 0.5 to 4.16 and I consider it well past beta and more stable than the stable version 4.16.

Until the programmers decide that keeping two versions going is becoming an ordeal, I am quite happy with this moment, where we have two choices.
0.5 is not released yet so it is natural that there is no push to move everybody to it.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Byakuren wrote:0.5 is not released yet
As far as I understand before releasing 0.5.0 a lot of stuff will to be backported to be compatible with 0.4.16 and then released as 0.4.17 update before releasing 0.5.0.

When looking at the recent release cycle with roughly two releases per year I guess 0.5.0 won't be available before late 2018 or early 2019.

... ohm, and I love how the changelog in the wiki lies about the release date (13 jan) :D

Mr. Xenon

by Mr. Xenon » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Byakuren wrote:0.5 is not released yet
As far as I understand before releasing 0.5.0 a lot of stuff will to be backported to be compatible with 0.4.16 and then released as 0.4.17 update before releasing 0.5.0.

When looking at the recent release cycle with roughly two releases per year I guess 0.5.0 won't be available before late 2018 or early 2019.

... ohm, and I love how the changelog in the wiki lies about the release date (13 jan) :D
I am extremely happy with all this. I follow the project on github and the 0.5.0 currently contains many improvements and new content that in the next stable release 0.5.0 will make Minetest finally a complete project and more enjoyable in all respects.

For me, January 13, 2019 is a good date. The longer you take to develop and the project will be better.

They are taking the big step that I have been waiting for for years, I am very happy with all this. Thanks to the whole team for their work.