[Mod] 4 Seasons [20120709-final][4seasons]

mauvebic

[Mod] 4 Seasons [20120709-final][4seasons]

by mauvebic » Post

fullsize http://www.zimg.eu/i/1426873215

forked from madblocks, this is the 4seasons complete with chatfunctions (server priv), birds, palmtrees and slimtrees - init.lua: options at the top, crafts at the end of file.

Code: Select all

/season spring
/season summer
/season fall
/season winter
/season pause
Last edited by mauvebic on Sat Dec 08, 2012 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

Nemo08

by Nemo08 » Post

How about speed of changes? Old Xyz's Seasons mod produced a terrible lags

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I like the seasons. Thanks for forking it out.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

line 8

Code: Select all

WEATHER_CHANGE_INTERVAL = 60

double or triple it if you want

if still lag, set BIRDS = false (or if you find them annoying lol)
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

found these in the screenshots thread
Summer:
Autumn:
Winter:
Spring:

neo

by neo » Post

: ) nice.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Please expand on the description, tweak the subject to match the forum's requirement (something like "[Mod] Four Seasons [4seasons]" is sufficient), and also indicate to what parts the license applies. Also add a list of what this mod depends on.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

the license is WTFPL it always applies to everything.
i dont need to write the name twice in the subject title, its 4seasons, not "four seasons"
and the description is fine? the screenshot a dead giveaway.
and no dependencies. everything i fork and put up now is 0 depedency
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

bugfix for win clients

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Mod moved back, because Forum guidelines not followed
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Post edited to fix errors. Should fit the guidelines now.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Last edited by mauvebic on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Moved
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

I though that the leaves of deciduous trees ''fall'' in autumn...
You could simply change the winter texture of the leaves to what looks like bare branches, if that would look ok.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

tbh 4seasons was the first thing i forked because i dont play w/ it on my servers anymore. There were some noticeable performance drops when 20120606 came out.

Even though i personally championned any new drawtypes, im not crazy about nodebox, and node placement prediction seems to fail miserably by placing all my signlike items in any other position/angle than the one i clicked on lol.

I might take minetest_game and minimal and see if i cant come up with a game/servertype thats in between.

ERIIX

by ERIIX » Post

I was wondering if there might be any chance for something like a madblocks_full distributed as a modpack so that people could update from one source and simply rm the subdirectories for the mods they don't actually want in the pack. This is the style mesecons now uses, and it has made my mods directory quite a bit cleaner.

Either that, or perhaps you could offer repository access for them so one script could easily go through and pull the updates for all the mods of yours that I use? Checking one thread for my Madblocks fix is fairly easy. Checking 4 or more, while certainly doable, is a bit more cumbersome.

Whatever you choose (including the status quo), I want to thank you for such a wonderful (set of) mod(s). The seasons were the original reason Madblocks caught my interest, but there turned out to be so much there that I doubt any of it will get old to me anytime soon.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Im not gonna put everything back together when i just finished splitting them up :P

some of the reasons why i did it:

- madblocks as a whole was too heavy to run on public servers
- most people like some parts but not all of it (naturally)
- ive been playing w/o some of the parts for a while now
- some of the forks are no longer under active development, and i needn't trip over the code everytime im working on something else

Apart from that ive been thinking of setting up a github thingie, my only reticence is the fact their website looks like an apple desktop, very bright, very headachy lol

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Mauvebic:

Try gitorious!

http://gitorious.org

ERIIX

by ERIIX » Post

mauvebic wrote:Im not gonna put everything back together when i just finished splitting them up :P

some of the reasons why i did it:

- madblocks as a whole was too heavy to run on public servers
- most people like some parts but not all of it (naturally)
- ive been playing w/o some of the parts for a while now
- some of the forks are no longer under active development, and i needn't trip over the code everytime im working on something else

Apart from that ive been thinking of setting up a github thingie, my only reticence is the fact their website looks like an apple desktop, very bright, very headachy lol
Miscommunication right off the bat. I never was very good at communicating.

Bundling them as a modpack doesn't mean that they would depend on one another of have to run as one unit. It just means that you can download them. The modpack format is simple: The root directory of it (which would otherwise contain depends.txt and init.lua) only needs to contain modpack.txt (an empty file). This signals to Minetest that the actual mods are in the directories underneath it. Minetest then searches the directory structure there to find the actual mods.

If someone downloads a modpack and doesn't like some of the mods in there, they simply remove those directories (provided none of their other mods depend on the removed ones, of course). That's it. No fuss.

The benefit would be that there could be a single download link for all your mods, and then people could remove the ones they don't want by simply removing the directories they don't want (Or, if they only want one of the mods, they can simply move that from the pack directly into their mods directory).

Of course, downloading a huge modpack for one single mod in it is inefficient, but anyone who wants multiple parts could download one thing and just delete what they don't want with no effort.

TL;DR: Bundling them as a modpack would not inhibit people's ability to run parts of the pack without running the rest (Points 1-3) or mean putting them back together in any way that could make maintaining them more difficult (Point 4). It's merely a convenient means of offering them all as a single download to be used or not in whatever way the user intends.

All that said, the easiest solution is to go for github/gitorious/Gcode/Savannah/whatever, since then users don't even have to watch a thread anymore :).

Thank you for your time both in responding and in making these mods.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

now that i understand i think this is what youre looking for:
http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2482

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

I will no longer be developing this mod or maintaining it for subsequent minetest versions. If anyone wishes to take over let me know, otherwise the moderators should feel free to move this to Old Mods within a week or two :-)

I do plan on salvaging the trees and adding them to tkerwel's tree mod/modpack. :-)

ERIIX

by ERIIX » Post

Just so anyone who's been using Madblocks knows, I have posted a 4seasons converter mod at http://test.eriix.org/4seasons_compat.tar.xz that you can use on your old worlds that used Madblocks back when everything was combined. This mod is tested on my own system, but I offer no promises, so please back up your worlds before using it on them.

The way it works is simple: It populates the Madblocks namespace with dummy nodes using the names the seasons used so that they will load correctly (they will be obvious visually since their texture is full alpha, so you will be able to see the world around you rebuild itself as the nodes are replaced). There is an ABM created which will take these dummy nodes and convert them back to the default Minetest node versions where possible. From there, the 4seasons mod can identify them and begin applying seasonal adjustments.

Bird, slimtree, and palmtree parts are sent directly into the 4seasons namespace since the default Minetest has no equivalent for them. This is why this mod depends on the 4seasons mod, also. If you change that part of the ABM to remove the nodes or replace them with something else, then you can remove the 4seasons dependancy and this mod will make a seasonless world.

To recap: It sits in the background looking for the nodes 4seasons left behind when it was split from Madblocks, and converts them. Once you've explored the areas you frequent, you can remove it from your mods directory safely since it serves no other purpose. You may want to keep a copy somewhere in case you realize later you missed someplace, though.

This does not cover all legacy Madblocks nodes. Only the 4seasons nodes, since they are the ones I am most interested in. I think 4seasons adds a lot to the experience, but I'm still tuning the ABMs for my own use.

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

I stole your birds sound and created an Ambience Mod. They only chirp during the day. At night this is replaced with cricket sounds. (But the sound samples should be longer so that they don't get too boring. )

Let me know if you want to work on this mod with me. If you wanted to get real crazy, we could add sounds depending on location (water sounds when you are underwater, splashing when you are walking above water, wind when you are on a mountain/hill) Caves could have dripping water sounds. (We could steal this from the dripping water mod).

Note: The repository for the code is at: https://github.com/Neuromancer56/MinetestAmbience

If you give me your github account name, I can give you access. I know you don't like github, but as Vanessa said, it's dead easy. Actually not, but I already had it installed.

I stole the code to do day/night sounds from kddekadenz DesDes map's music mod.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Aug 17, 2012 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

qwrwed
In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Post

Where is the download link? I need this mod because the demo world is at winter, so there is a plain of unknown blocks.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

this version wouldnt work with my demo world, in fact it didnt work at all anymore last time i tried. The working/manual version is included with the modpack. :-)