What exactly is this mese stuff anyway?

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

What exactly is this mese stuff anyway?

by v-rob » Post

Mese is really cool and awesome stuff, but what exactly is it like? This is a list of questions about mese that I was wondering about.

----- What do mese crystals look like? Are they opaque or translucent? Are they golden or yellow?
----- How are mese crystals formed, or have they always been there?
- If they always have been there, then wouldn't they be ores, and not crystals because crystals grow?
----- Is it an element on the periodic table? If so, then where is it on the periodic table? Is it radioactive?
----- How much does it cost in terms of gold bars? Is it worth more than diamond?
----- Why does a mese block have the word mese on it?
- Dye or any writing material wasn't used in the crafting, so it doesn't make sense.
----- Does it conduct electricity? If not, then what does it conduct?
----- Do mesecons need a full circuit?
- If they do, then wires conduct both ways. Also, if they can, the power can go backwards through logic gates and diodes to get to the source.
----- If you make a circle of mesecons with a delayer and turn a lever on next to it, power will go through. When the lever is turned off, the power keeps going in a circuit and powering anything. So, does mesecons power never run out? If it doesn't, then how does turning off the power source on single wires turn off all the power?
- This might be explained by mesecons not needing any circuits, but the power ends once it hits the end of a line. If that is true, then it breaks the Law of Conservation of Energy. So, is mese power a type of energy?
----- How do mese lamps make light when the ore doesn't?

This is very confusing, so I want to hear what other people think.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: What exactly is this mese stuff anyway?

by firefox » Post

maybe the lamps glow because the mese inside was charged in some way, or it's just luminescent.
like phosphoresence, then the lamps glow because they are exposed to the sun, but the ore does not (or very faint).
=(^.^)=
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

It's all depend on what do you want for current subgame )
For example here something http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17571
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

well mese is officially recognized (correct me if im wrong) as a material of alien origin, and orreki's are basically aliens, so...................

p.s. mese glows because its a power scource
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Stix wrote:well mese is officially recognized (correct me if im wrong) as a material of alien origin, and orreki's are basically aliens, so...................

p.s. mese glows because its a power scource
First off, it is not officially of alien origin. I'm not quite certain, but I think it's a joke. Plus, even if it is of alien origin, it still has to follow the laws of science, which it does not. This thoroughly confuses me. Not like it really matters anyway...

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

From the wiki:
The origin of the block is just plain random. In the early days of the game I [celeron55] needed to add something to be mined from the ground, and ended up with this humorous nonsense block, and haven't removed it from the game from since.

Mese actually means "msn messenger" in Finland and is used as a silly word (it sounds silly) in the ohjelmointiputka programming community. Additionally it is thought that the glasses of the emoticons 8) and 8D are "mese glasses".
Most of us think of it as something of alien origin or something though :)

EDIT: Also, from the developer wiki page for Minetest Game development:
Alien - Mese is an alien crystal / meteorite.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

The simple answer: It's a game, so the Minetest universe is not expected to adhere to known natural laws.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

In real life ores haven't "always been there".
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Join the religion of SAM!

by Wuzzy » Post

In real life the world is a cube itself, and it is made of lots of small cubes in a perfect grid and even the sun and moon are cubic. I know this is true because I saw it in Minetest.

v-rob
Developer

Re: Join the religion of SAM! (Never gonna happen)

by v-rob » Post

Wuzzy wrote:In real life the world is a cube itself, and it is made of lots of small cubes in a perfect grid and even the sun and moon are cubic. I know this is true because I saw it in Minetest.
The religion of those who ain't Minecraft? So... if you ain't Minecraft, then why do you make MineClone 2? You have committed heresy, Wuzzy! You have now been thrown out of the religion, and seeing as you are the sole participant, the religion just died. The world is round again, and Mese still doesn't follow the laws of science.

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

MeseStorm was first and nothing around
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

The religion of those who ain't Minecraft? So... if you ain't Minecraft, then why do you make MineClone 2? You have committed heresy, Wuzzy!
Hmm, has anyone thought of forming a Minetest religion? We could use the developer wiki as a bible and GitHub pull requests for sermons, and and.... Okay, maybe that might not go over so well. lol.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I still feel the story of Mese needs more attention.
Introduced with no more than someone in a goofy mood, it is almost the mysterious mascot of MTG.

Could be, in ancient times, a cubic, Mese asteroid crashed into the world..., creating an extreme change in the physics of the world..., turning everything cube-like. Which even had an impact on the evolution of all living things. (plants, animals, people, etc..
Cubic fragments of the asteroid are spread throughout the core and shelves (they travel under their own power), and are natural, unexplained power sources.

It's just a poor example of imaginative writing but, gets the idea across. Mese could be used to design a "story" of the Minetest world. A scientific history of sorts. :P

Mese, even though added as a joke or "just because", has the power to give MTG a very unique identity and story. So it turns out to be far more important (or could be) than ever intended. : )
A Wonderful World

TheGreatCoffeeKing99
In-game: Coffee99

by TheGreatCoffeeKing99 » Post

Mese draws energy from an unknown dimension, and releases it back at the end of a mesecon.
How it does it I don't know, but it might have something to do with advanced alien tech.

Wait, how did the player get to the minetest world in the first place?
Is there some sort of being watching it all?
Ooo... conspiracy!

Heh, actually MESE is an acronym. I don't know what it stands for (or even how to pronounce it).

Is it "messy" or "may-say", or "meese (as in the should-be plural of moose)" or something else?
End of long, return-riddled post.

Happy New Year!
Hi. I don't have any published mods yet.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Obviously, no one has any idea whatsoever about any of these things, so I will attempt to solve it myself.

Mese is the by-product of Celeron 55's coding of ores and a joke. This explains how it was formed.

Mese is awesome because Celeron 55 is awesome. Celeron 55 is awesome because Minetest is awesome. Minetest is awesome because Celeron 55 made it and because Mese makes Minetest awesome. This is circular reasoning. Mesecons can go in a circle forever because Mese is awesome because of circular reasoning.

Mese doesn't conduct energy, and Mese isn't matter either. Actually, it's a bunch of 1's and 0's in your computer, so no worries about scientific laws.

What does Mese look like? The answer: A bunch of yellow pixels. Why does it have the word Mese on it? Because Celeron 55 made it that way.

Mese lamps make light while the ore doesn't because ores that emit light are ugly.

How much is Mese worth? Supply, demand, and the rarity in mapgen.lua.

So, to sum it up: Circular reasoning, a joke between some Finnish programmers, and because Celeron 55 did it that way.

------------------------------
TheGreatCoffeeKing99 wrote:I don't know what it stands for (or even how to pronounce it).

Is it "messy" or "may-say", or "meese (as in the should-be plural of moose)" or something else?
End of long, return-riddled post.

Happy New Year!
Answer according to C-55:
celeron55 wrote:If anyone ever organizes any away-from-the-keyboard meeting of some Minetest people somewhere, talking about mese is sure going to be very odd. It was never meant to become anything aside from a joke between a bunch of Finnish programmers. 8)
4aiman wrote:However sometimes I pronounce it like two separate words: "me-ce" ("e" like in "America", "c" like in "celebrity")
^ That is relatively close to how it's originally said in Finnish. Me being Finnish, that's how I say it.

ThomasMonroe
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared

by ThomasMonroe » Post

My brother is working on a subgame that gives some idea as to where Mese comes from.
I don't make messes, I just, er...disturb the local entropy!

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Post

I think the origin of mese is the nyan cat heaven (or nyanland). But there must be a story how mese comes to earth. Maybe nyan cats, orrekis, dungeon masters, the iron apple and the bandit played a special role in this story.
Can your read this?

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

Maybe the stuff is just radioactive. And you don’t see it because you don’t play the same map for 10 years, so your character can not get cancer.
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

----- What do mese crystals look like? Are they opaque or translucent? Are they golden or yellow?
It's yellow.

It's opacity is trickier. The idea is that it works similar to milk glass. The brightness of light goes throgh, but you can't see what's on the other side.
The same is true for mese blocks.

You can proof this by a simple experiment: Just place a mese block in a wall and a torch behind it and completely enclose the torch by solid blocks. Any other solid block would block off the light completely, but the mese block doesn't. Compare with leaves.
----- How are mese crystals formed, or have they always been there?
Mese crystals are simply broken pieces of mese blocks. Clusters of mese ores are simply mese blocks which have been broken due to years of geological shifts. That's why you almost always find mese ore in clusters, not alone.

Mese blocks are said to be almost old as the world itself, but nobody really knows why they're there. Many believe it's of alien origin, but nobody has ever proven it so far.
----- Is it an element on the periodic table? If so, then where is it on the periodic table?
Studies are inconclusive. Scientists don't even agree whether mese is an element in the first place. The celeron55 prize for applied Minetestology could be yours if you figure it out.
Is it radioactive?
It's not radioactive and completely safe.
----- How much does it cost in terms of gold bars? Is it worth more than diamond?
The price depends on supply and demand. But on JT2 it's common to sell 1 mese crystal for 3 gold bars. But the price may vary a bit. It's less worth than a diamond.
It doesn't.
----- Does it conduct electricity? If not, then what does it conduct?
Yes. Mesecons. Duh!
----- Do mesecons need a full circuit?
No idea what you mean.
----- If you make a circle of mesecons with a delayer and turn a lever on next to it, power will go through. When the lever is turned off, the power keeps going in a circuit and powering anything. So, does mesecons power never run out? If it doesn't, then how does turning off the power source on single wires turn off all the power?

- This might be explained by mesecons not needing any circuits, but the power ends once it hits the end of a line. If that is true, then it breaks the Law of Conservation of Energy. So, is mese power a type of energy?
It is a source of energy with an extemely high efficiency. While it is technically a fossil “fuel” and not renewable, it does not run out for billions of years.
The wires are actually coaxial cables, so even you see 1 wire, there's actually 2, thus forming a circuit.
----- How do mese lamps make light when the ore doesn't?
[/quote]
Mese does not emit light in low density (such as in ores or crystals). In high density (such as a mese block), it glows faintly. Mese has a strong chemical reaction with silicium which causes the bright glow in lamps.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
It doesn't.
Then why are there those strange markings on it? And you can't deny that in 0.4.14 and below, it did have the word Mese on it. Plus, when it was first made, Mese did have the word Mese on it.
Wuzzy wrote:It is a source of energy with an extemely high efficiency. While it is technically a fossil “fuel” and not renewable, it does not run out for billions of years.
But I went and consulted the Lua, and what the Lua told me was that Mese power does not run out (providing your computer never dies) I trust the Lua because the Lua never lies.
Wuzzy wrote:Mese blocks are said to be almost old as the world itself, but nobody really knows why they're there. Many believe it's of alien origin, but nobody has ever proven it so far.
I have proven that it is not quite as old as the world itself. See the Old Minetest Changelog.

But is it actually of alien origin? Kind of hard to prove, especially since there are no alien places in the world of Minetest. Oh wait, but that's a Minetest Game problem, and we know that we shouldn't trust Minetest Game.

But besides all of this, I really like your explanation.
Wuzzy wrote:
----- Is it an element on the periodic table? If so, then where is it on the periodic table?
Studies are inconclusive. Scientists don't even agree whether mese is an element in the first place. The celeron55 prize for applied Minetestology could be yours if you figure it out.
I'll start work on it immediately.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

v-rob wrote: Then why are there those strange markings on it? And you can't deny that in 0.4.14 and below, it did have the word Mese on it. Plus, when it was first made, Mese did have the word Mese on it.
The gods surely must have a twisted sense of humour. They play with reality itself and alter the past as they see fit.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

TheGreatCoffeeKing99 wrote:Heh, actually MESE is an acronym. I don't know what it stands for (or even how to pronounce it).
I've seen a forum post using MESE as an acronym for "Military Enveloped Special Equipment" (I don't know where), but apparently this is not the original meaning.
Wait, is there an "original meaning"? Because "meaning" means that it "means" something. Does a joke "mean" something? [continue philosophical philosophing here...]

You forgot a question:
MESE? What is it? Can you eat it?
PS: Why was the Mese texture changed back then? This hasn't made Mese more realistic!
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

orwell wrote: You forgot a question:
MESE? What is it? Can you eat it?
PS: Why was the Mese texture changed back then? This hasn't made Mese more realistic!
You can't make Mese more realistic..., or less realistic..., because it's not real. ; )
(I post really weird shhhh-tuff when I wake in the middle of the night..., I'm going back to bed)
A Wonderful World

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Mese blocks are covered in glyphs that orreki enscribed onto them, as these meseblocks were once part of temples to there sacred religion, the orreki believe mese was sent to them by their god of fire and brim-stone and therefore consider it sacred, mese crystals are broken down mese blocks. in reality the main characters race brang mese to this planet, as it was used for the circuts in there starships, when they crashed on this strange world, elements of this world reacted differently to mese than the ones in sams home planet, the mese started animating the elements, making the elemental mobs we see today, so in reality the mt world is the orrekis home planet and we, the players, are the invaders.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

And then, the oerkkis were removed from the engine, and banned forever.
So better not install mobs redo, or the oerkkis will take their planet back!!!
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...