Is crafting actual cement possible?

tlhIngan

Is crafting actual cement possible?

by tlhIngan » Post

I'm looking at all that gravel pilling up in my chests and got wondering: we have sand, we have water, we have all this gravel, could we create a new recipe to craft cement? There's 2 ways this can go:
1. shapeless recipe that produces cement blocks, and then we can place them just like any other block. This would just be another texture.
2. have the actual physics of cement. Sand and gravel would have to be mixed (new block and texture), and then placed (should this block have the physics of gravel and fall?), and turn into cement once contacted with water? Like lava to stone or lava source to obsidian?

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

Re: Is crafting actual cement possible?

by SonosFuer » Post

This would be best as a regular mod, I could easily code your first idea someone made the textures.
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

A Wonderful World

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this. :)

Sand + Gravel = Dry Cement + Water = Wet Cement - Water = Hard cement
cement.tar.gz
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Method 1: Craft wet cement blocks by putting default:gravel, group:sand, and bucket:bucket_water in a shapeless recipe.

Method 2: Make dry cement blocks by putting default:gravel and group:sand in a shapeless recipe and put the resulting node on ground directly by a water source to get a wet cement block and wait till it becomes wet.

Place wet cement blocks wherever you want (no water in neighboring nodes) and let them become hard. Since dry and wet cement blocks fall down when placed you might want to support them while drying by placing a not falling node below.

Hard cement blocks float like regular nodes.

How I implemented it it does not use own textures but the gravel and sand textures and some texture modifiers to combine them. This maintains the look and feel of the used texture pack.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I just twaked it a little. Dry and wet cement are brighter now, in result hard cement will be a little brighter, too. In additionj to that you get two dry/wet cement blocks when crafting them. When crafting wet cement blocks you get the empty water bucket back.

Oh, and made in an actual mod available on GitHub: https://github.com/4w/cement

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Cement might be a good way to get around the shortage of clay in the game. Even with the gravel sieve there's still plenty of gravel to be found. Sand isn't as plentiful either for people who don't want to destroy the landscape, but that can be circumvented by supplying grinders.

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of mods that add concrete. Still, a good way to craft it (=easy/cheap) plus a good texture could be very useful, especially if the node supports hardware coloring. I'd love to see a good white concrete/chalk/colored clay base texture in mtg. The chalk texture on the Illuna server comes close but is at a far too high resolution.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I just added hardware coloring (self-contained, no external “library-mods” needed).

It has now an own thread in the forums.

viewtopic.php?t=19406