The Beauty of Minetest: Canyon Country

voxelproof

The Beauty of Minetest: Canyon Country

by voxelproof » Post

This gallery is a fruit of many hours of exploration. I discovered an unusual location, the whole large area which I called "Canyon Country" due to the abundance of awe-inspiring river ravines of excellent beauty.

This is also interesting because these images show as I hope that despite obvious flaws in map generator v7, the results it provides are sometimes simply amazing and one can hardly, if ever, find anything of that quality in any of Minecraft worlds. This is because this terrain generator, unlike those used in Minecraft, is more "chaotic", not polished to give similar standardised results in each of generated worlds. I think that even creators of this mapgen may sometimes get surprised by what their creation creates itself ;)

The explored area is outstanding not only in comparison to other voxel sandboxes; I would say that the richness and consistency of the terrain makes it one of the best procedurally generated worlds in the whole genre of open world games.

Here are three examples of a large gallery posted on imgur, which contains over 60 screenshots.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CJvfI

River of Return

Entering The Narrows

Colorado Creek, northern part of the River of Return
Attachments
15.jpg
15.jpg (536.22 KiB) Viewed 169 times
14.jpg
14.jpg (629.46 KiB) Viewed 169 times
13.jpg
13.jpg (844.36 KiB) Viewed 169 times
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

Re: The Beauty of Minetest: Canyon Country

by Pyrollo » Post

Very nice findings :)

Maybe you could expose key and coordinates ? ... then hope someone sets up a server with this key and rush for building :D
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Pyrollo wrote:Very nice findings :)
Thank you.
Maybe you could expose key and coordinates ? ... then hope someone sets up a server with this key and rush for building :D
Here you are: mg v7, seed: tokyo[*], X=-6920, Z=-300. This marks the western entrance to the gorge.

* Thanks again, azekill_DIABLO.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Tried just now, it was amazing. Great discovery.
But we can find many other places that look great, we could make a list of these remarkable mapgen features.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:Tried just now, it was amazing. Great discovery.
But we can find many other places that look great, we could make a list of these remarkable mapgen features.
Yes. In fact there're much more imposing and larger canyons. This one is about 5-6 times longer, and what's interesting, the formations that surround it look yet more realistic (modulo voxel grid):

To make a list of Minetest 'geographic' discoveries there should be adopted some criteria allowing assessment whether given object is worth recording. My choice is the scale - longest rivers, ravines, highest mountains, largest deserts and so on. Unfortunately mapgens as they are now totally lack broad elevated areas - i.e. mountain ranges, uplands, tepuis, truly high mountains. Maybe, before starting charting the MT worlds in their present state we should better wait for them to be UPgraded ;)
Attachments
Minetest ravine in v7
Minetest ravine in v7
map1.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 169 times