Increasing rendering speed dramatically ?

For people working on the C++ code.
LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

Increasing rendering speed dramatically ?

by LMD » Post

I don't know how VBO generation is done in minetest, but may it be that every cube is made out of the seen faces(faces towards the player) that are not hidden by other cubes ? So now I'm asking myself : Could we increase rendering speed if we would be merging, for example a surface of 10x10 cubes into one big 10x10 plane, instead of 100 1x1 planes. That could increase rendering speed dramatically, as well as this may also be done using the geometry shader. Of course texture/UV coords will have to change then also, but for that I already have an idea :
- a standard minetest texture is 16x16
- every graphic card supports at least 1024x1024 textures
- 1024/16 = 64, what means we could display a 64x64 plane with just 2 triangles !

EDIT : As sfan5 mentioned, Minetest seems already merge chunks vertically. But maybe that could be increased, and also horizontal merging can be added ? Also, bigger (64x64) planes then the actual 16x16 planes created when 16x16 textures are used.

So, I'd like to know your opinions, as well as how we may realize this. I'm very familiar with OpenGL and C99, but not that familiar with Minetest and Irrlicht. So I would have to obtain help by this great community. Thans for reading ! Please leave a reply.
Last edited by LMD on Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: Increasing rendering speed dramatically ?

by sfan5 » Post

If you enable wireframe mode you can see that Minetest already merges identical faces into planes to some degree.
It only seems to do this horizontally and it's also bound by the size of one MapBlock (16x16x16) since those are turned into meshes separately.
Attachments
screenshot_20171116_101334.png
screenshot_20171116_101334.png (618.56 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

slemon

by slemon » Post

Last time I checked, minetest didn't merge surfaces with different textures. Is there a reason behind this?

LMD

by LMD » Post

I can't see a reason for that, excepting that it would make texture uploading harder.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

slemon wrote:Last time I checked, minetest didn't merge surfaces with different textures. Is there a reason behind this?
Probably because the merged surface is one full plane, so only one texture can be used on that plane, but the texture can be tiled. Don't quote me on this, because I'm not certain that this is true.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

The reason is it being faster and easier for the GFX card to NOT make one very big texture, but to stick with the small textures.
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

You could use the Hilbert curve to quickly detect rectangles rather than lines.
You can also try the Peano curve.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

LMD

by LMD » Post

Thanks

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

When thinking about rendering speed, I want you to consider whether or not Minetest would run on the Nintendo Switch. This might seem like a dumb question right now, but if the computer/internet environment becomes extremely hostile to indie/open-source developers, then that might be your only option left. 2018 will most certainly be a very likely year for that to happen. So, if Minetest could run on the Nintendo Switch, then it is being optimized well enough, but if it can't, then it still has a ways to go. Same goes for GZDoom, Zandronum, Xonotic, Red Eclipse, Voxelands, etc.

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

Computer hostile for indie?
Internet hostile for indie?
Go to consoles instead?
What parallel D.C. universe are you talking about?
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Well, the Switch (and any device with similar stats) seems like a good way to see how optimized a game is. Oh, and don't forget about the death of net neutrality that happened recently. Even Burger King, it seems, was concerned about the ordeal, so they made a video on YouTube about it. It does a nifty job of explaining the matter to us masses. All that is open source needs net neutrality to survive.

One of the goals of 0.5.0 is to increase the overall performance of Minetest, as this is very critical for its future. Kenny understood this well.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

no one is going to port MTG to this platform, same as for PS and Xbox
The work involved is intensive and quite honestly not going to be done free of cost by anyone I know.

Burger King is whacked (have you seen their creepy mascot?)

Even bringing up porting MTG to those platforms seems pointless.

It would take far more then the net neutrality debate to kill the open source community..., maybe the likes of a black hole swallowing up the entire universe would do it but, even that is debatable.
A Wonderful World

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Minetest should run even on integrated graphics that goes with chipset/CPUs (at least those Intel Core i3+ and new AMD Ryzen with included Vega graphics), especially new CPUs, any rendering speed increase will be very welcomed, from what I see in Minecraft Bedrock engine with vranges going into 1000..., minetest probably has room for rendering optimisations.