[Addon] Media Pack for Laptop Mod [laptop_mediapack]

Grizzly Adam
GitHub: Grizzly-Adam

[Addon] Media Pack for Laptop Mod [laptop_mediapack]

by Grizzly Adam » Post

Media Pack addon for Minetest Laptop Mod
by Grizzly Adam

Adds 5 1/4" Double Density Floppy Disk, Compact Disc, D-C60 Cassette Tape, Punch Card, and Disk Storage unit. Disk storage uses code from Itemshelf mod to make the disk in slot one visible within the disk storage item.

Get it from my GitHub or Download as a Zip.

UPDATE: Disk Storage rotate and does not drop self bugs are fixed.

Source Code:
Based on Laptop and Itemsehlf. Do with is whatever you like.
License: WTFPL

All Textures:
(C) Grizzly Adam
CC-BY-SA-3.0

--------------
Laptop License
--------------
Laptop created by GamingAssociation39
Source code: WTFPL

-----------------
Itemshelf License
-----------------
All code is copyright (C) 2018 Hector Franqui (zorman2000), licensed under the MIT license. See `LICENSE` for details.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-02-04 08-05-11.png
Screenshot from 2018-02-04 08-05-11.png (398.29 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Wed Feb 07, 2018 01:31, edited 5 times in total.
Check out my Mods: BBQ Mod Crops Plus

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Addon] Floppy Pack for Laptop Mob [laptop_floppypack]

by Sokomine » Post

Ah, the nostalgia...the floppy disk box looks very good.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Grizzly Adam

Re: [Addon] Media Pack for Laptop Mod [laptop_mediapack]

by Grizzly Adam » Post

Mod is now available. I added Compact Disc and Cassette. All media can be stored in Disk Storage unit.

Known Issue: Media in disk storage unit may not face the proper direction based on orientation of the storage unit. This is a bug from ItemShelf. If you have a solution, please let me know.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Why are you people making mods that add virtual computers inside of actual computers? If you're not careful, you might end up with a self-sustaining Fractal Reality scenario on your hands.
What is SCP-055?

Grizzly Adam

by Grizzly Adam » Post

Man, I love old computers. The guys working on the laptop mod are doing a great job, but I just had to have some 5 1/4" floppies!

bell07
GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Post

It is really nostalgia!

A bug found, maybe a itemshelf too: If you add 2 different items to the storage, the first one is shown only. If you remove the first own, no items shown in storage.
I'm not sure if anyone in the laptop project is interested, if so feel free to add parts or the whole thing to the core.
Basically interested, yes. The issue is at the time we have the "Modern OS" only. We have the idea and the framework to emulate own OS for each computer (like Printer have the "Printer launcher", but uses the same framework as "Modern OS" laptops.). But we do not have an OS for the old computers. See app-request: Simple Shell-like launcher for old computer #32

The second thing are the media capabilities. We have currently "usb" and "floppy" capabilities. Basically the same, the "usb" is allowed to be used as storage and for system backup. The "floppy" for storage and live-boot.
To add new storage types we need to define first the capabilities for them. You assigned all items to the floppy group. It was funny in testing to boot the Modern OS on the Pentium 3 computer using formatted Punch Card oO

- floppy same functionality as other implemented floppy (live-boot + storage)
- CD for liveboot + HDD in ram
- tape for backup/restore on old computers (without USB)
- punch card ??? (was before my time)
Why are you people making mods that add virtual computers inside of actual computers?
Because!
The vision is to get the minetest working in laptop mod in minetest, and then implement a laptop mod for the minetest in laptop mod ;-)

EDIT: Created https://github.com/Gerold55/minetest-laptop/issues/84

Grizzly Adam

by Grizzly Adam » Post

bell07 wrote:It is really nostalgia!

A bug found, maybe a itemshelf too: If you add 2 different items to the storage, the first one is shown only. If you remove the first own, no items shown in storage.
It only shows what is in the first slot. I would like to change it to start checking at slot 0 and move forward until it finds something to display or exhausts all the slots.
bell07 wrote:Basically interested, yes. The issue is at the time we have the "Modern OS" only. We have the idea and the framework to emulate own OS for each computer (like Printer have the "Printer launcher", but uses the same framework as "Modern OS" laptops.). But we do not have an OS for the old computers. See app-request: Simple Shell-like launcher for old computer #32
That would be a fun project. You are looking for a DOS/MS BASIC/UNIX style text interface? Those are some of my favourite. Mehaps I could work on that part... I am new to lua but am learning as I go.
bell07 wrote:The second thing are the media capabilities. We have currently "usb" and "floppy" capabilities. Basically the same, the "usb" is allowed to be used as storage and for system backup. The "floppy" for storage and live-boot.
To add new storage types we need to define first the capabilities for them. You assigned all items to the floppy group. It was funny in testing to boot the Modern OS on the Pentium 3 computer using formatted Punch Card oO

- floppy same functionality as other implemented floppy (live-boot + storage)
- CD for liveboot + HDD in ram
- tape for backup/restore on old computers (without USB)
- punch card ??? (was before my time)
Tape was used for storage, lots of games were sold on cassette. It was especially popular in the UK when the so called early retro computers reigned. I have personally used cassette with commodore 64, the Tandy Color Computer series, and have even heard of one being hooked up to early IBM PCs. Most of those computers booted to a built in ROM, but could also use a boot disk to boot up to an alternative OS. For instance, Commodore 64/128 could boot to CPM, CoCo's could use either Deskmate or OS9. This was done by floppy typically, but in the case of the Commodore 64 there was a CPM on a cartridge. As far as I know, tape could not be used as a boot disk.

Punch cards were used with the old mainframes, and could be used for data storage and for boot.

Another cool idea would be to slow down access on diskettes, cassettes and punch cards complete with disk access sounds.

Grizzly Adam

by Grizzly Adam » Post

Latest version fixes Disk Storage rotate bug and makes Disk Storage drop itself in addition to all it's disks.

bell07
GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Post

Disk Storage drop itself in addition to all it's disks.
I do not like the dropping to the world, in minetest the dropped items are moved is directly to the inventory (We can hold things). I know other blocky games does drop all down.

The other idea is to leave the disks in the storage, and store the content to itemmeta, then the content is restored on place. See after_dig_node() and after_place_node() function in https://github.com/Gerold55/minetest-la ... ode_fw.lua
The issue this way is the items cannot be stackeable anymore, so the stack_max needs to be set to 1 this way

Grizzly Adam

by Grizzly Adam » Post

Updated api.lua to improve rotation of disks in storage.

Grizzly Adam

by Grizzly Adam » Post

Updated: Added Recipes