Minetesthosting is a Joke? Any REAL GSPs that offer hosting?

Mineminer

Minetesthosting is a Joke? Any REAL GSPs that offer hosting?

by Mineminer » Post

I don't get it but apparently I read on their FAQ that servers are put to "sleep" on their network. Is this a joke? Or do they don't get business logics. Everywhere else keep their customers' servers online 24/7 (usually having a 99.9+% uptime promise to boost).

With that said, I am only paying for provider that act like a "normal" Game Service Provider. Does anyone know anyone who does this without messing with having it "put to sleep" for a PAID service? Nor having to fuss with a unmanaged VPS?

Thank you in advance!

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetesthosting is a Joke? Any REAL GSPs that offer host

by sofar » Post

I don't see why it would be a problem, permitted it's implemented in a way that (1) anyone can connect and start the server up again and (2) the serverlist announcements still function and the server appears online.

From what I've seen, minetesthosting implements (1) but not (2), though. Although someone should confirm this since I don't use minetesthosting.

There are not many people out there that offer hosting like this, and I certainly haven't seen anyone that does something like this auto-sleep functionality.

There are ways to host a decent personal minetest server for very little money - I've seen VPS hosters for under $20 a year, and I've written previously that you can essentially host a minetest server for free in AWS EC2 for a full year for free with their trial cloud accounts (see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19148 ). You'd have to manage it yourself though, TANSTAAFL.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

sofar wrote:I don't see why it would be a problem, permitted it's implemented in a way that (1) anyone can connect and start the server up again and (2) the serverlist announcements still function and the server appears online.

From what I've seen, minetesthosting implements (1) but not (2), though. Although someone should confirm this since I don't use minetesthosting.

There are not many people out there that offer hosting like this, and I certainly haven't seen anyone that does something like this auto-sleep functionality.

There are ways to host a decent personal minetest server for very little money - I've seen VPS hosters for under $20 a year, and I've written previously that you can essentially host a minetest server for free in AWS EC2 for a full year for free with their trial cloud accounts (see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19148 ). You'd have to manage it yourself though, TANSTAAFL.

The way that I view paid hosting service that their goal should be to keep the server running as reasonably as possible. When I rented Minecraft servers in the past NO one turned them off/put them to "sleep" on PAID services.

Because gamers do NOT wait. They want the server to response ASAP and therefore for that to happen the server MUST be at a full online state even if it running idling.

That is why I am so upset about it and you mentioned it not even the industry standard.

As for the VPS your right it doesn't costs a lot to get the hardware. But getting someone who actually knows how to man one? That normally runs about $50/month/server if your lucky. :(

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Mineminer wrote: The way that I view paid hosting service that their goal should be to keep the server running as reasonably as possible. When I rented Minecraft servers in the past NO one turned them off/put them to "sleep" on PAID services.

Because gamers do NOT wait. They want the server to response ASAP and therefore for that to happen the server MUST be at a full online state even if it running idling.

That is why I am so upset about it and you mentioned it not even the industry standard.

As for the VPS your right it doesn't costs a lot to get the hardware. But getting someone who actually knows how to man one? That normally runs about $50/month/server if your lucky. :(
You pay what you get for. I don't see an issue with it per se. Maybe they offer always-up servers for more money.

Automatic server start doesn't need to be slow either. A reasonable minetest server doesn't take more than a second to start, often much less than that.

But hey, it's a free market. If you think there should be other offers and better quality out there, then maybe someone can pick up on that and start a competing service for you.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

sofar wrote:
Mineminer wrote: The way that I view paid hosting service that their goal should be to keep the server running as reasonably as possible. When I rented Minecraft servers in the past NO one turned them off/put them to "sleep" on PAID services.

You pay what you get for. I don't see an issue with it per se. Maybe they offer always-up servers for more money.

Automatic server start doesn't need to be slow either. A reasonable minetest server doesn't take more than a second to start, often much less than that.

But hey, it's a free market. If you think there should be other offers and better quality out there, then maybe someone can pick up on that and start a competing service for you.

I am pretty sure $5 is on par for a quality shared service. That how much high grade "always on" Minecraft hosting goes for on 512MB of RAM. That includes proprietary control panel mind you.

If they cannot keep a small Minetest server ALWAYS online for that price then something is really wrong.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Mineminer wrote:I am pretty sure $5 is on par for a quality shared service. That how much high grade "always on" Minecraft hosting goes for on 512MB of RAM. That includes proprietary control panel mind you.

If they cannot keep a small Minetest server ALWAYS online for that price then something is really wrong.
Please trim your replies?

I'd love to see you, or anyone else for that matter, offer a better service. But hey, maybe if you talk to the minetesthosting folks directly they can help you. Complaining on this forum likely has little effect, though. So try channeling that anger into something productive?

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

sofar wrote:
Mineminer wrote:I am pretty sure $5 is on par for a quality shared service. That how much high grade "always on" Minecraft hosting goes for on 512MB of RAM. That includes proprietary control panel mind you.

Please trim your replies?

I'd love to see you, or anyone else for that matter, offer a better service. But hey, maybe if you talk to the minetesthosting folks directly they can help you. Complaining on this forum likely has little effect, though. So try channeling that anger into something productive?

I did and I am still waiting on their reply regarding this matter. But at the same time, WHY?

As we both mentioned it not even industry standard to put a GAME server to "sleep" or on a off state IF it PAID for correct?

For those reasons (unless they return a proper response to keep them online) I believe this company is indeed a "joke" in that regards. Because of the inability to meet the gaming industry standards of hosting Minetest instances.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

trim your replies. snip snip. don't be lazy.
Mineminer wrote: As we both mentioned it not even industry standard to put a GAME server to "sleep" or on a off state IF it PAID for correct?
That's subjective. I think it's actually a good idea, and I think it should be industry standard that power and resources are being saved in this way. minetest isn't fully idle when there are no players connected, so essentially it wastes power and CPU time that could be allocated to other servers that are actually running and serving online players.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The only other hosting service I know of is minecity.online
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

sofar wrote:trim your replies. snip snip. don't be lazy.
Mineminer wrote: As we both mentioned it not even industry standard to put a GAME server to "sleep" or on a off state IF it PAID for correct?
That's subjective. I think it's actually a good idea, and I think it should be industry standard that power and resources are being saved in this way. minetest isn't fully idle when there are no players connected, so essentially it wastes power and CPU time that could be allocated to other servers that are actually running and serving online players.

If executed correctly I could see a innovative offerings out of this (for instance pro rated crediting for the "off hours" or something). But for a basic "month to month" servicing? I expect it to be on just like any other game service and provider that in the existent.
rubenwardy wrote:The only other hosting service I know of is minecity.online

Site appear a little interesting to say the least but I mailed them regardless. Hey if it good and doesn't go into "sleep mode" why not right? Plus I did seen an admin mentioned they use a different Minetest provider because of the limitations of Minetesthosting so maybe this is the one they were talking about as well.

Lejo
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

by Lejo » Post

I'm paying only 5€ every month.
I have 30gb SSd
512 MB RAM
1 Core
Unlimited Transfer
Free Backup
Linux is free(Windows cost +10€ every month and you can't take the Small plan for 5€)
Fix IP
Easy access over ssh or with the website.
And it's not so hard to set the server just use a help info from the forum.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Lejo wrote:And it's not so hard to set the server just use a help info from the forum.
If you use a managed server you don't even need to care about updates of the OS and backup of your data.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Lejo wrote:And it's not so hard to set the server just use a help info from the forum.
If you use a managed server you don't even need to care about updates of the OS and backup of your data.
Or at the very least find someone who would willing to do such if you paid for the VPS.

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

But Managed costs at least +5€ per month.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Lejo wrote:But Managed costs at least +5€ per month.

You would be hard pressed to find it that cheap. Expect to pay at least four times as much if not up to 10x the amount.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Mineminer wrote:Expect to pay at least four times as much if not up to 10x the amount.
This is just nonsense.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Mineminer wrote:Expect to pay at least four times as much if not up to 10x the amount.
This is just nonsense.

Seriously I haven't seen them go for any good prices. Even "high end" VPSes don't include it (I am talking about those that over $10 to $20/GB VPSes).

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Mineminer wrote:Seriously I haven't seen them go for any good prices. Even "high end" VPSes don't include it (I am talking about those that over $10 to $20/GB VPSes).
Could we please agree on the fact that not all servers are VPSes? Some are shared hosting, some are actual hardware used exclusively, etc. VPS is just the wrong term.

I know the private server hosting situation in the USA isn’t that good, but over here the private hosting sector hosters usually allow traffic up to a specific limit without extra costs. Usually 2-5 TiB. Then quad core CPUs are pretty much standard, as well as 8 GiB RAM. Depending on disk capacity they start at around 10 Euros (around 12 USD) with common configuration. Most of them are either shared which implies the servers are being managed or it is explicitly stated that the servers are managed.

Cheaper ones (4 GiB RAM, dual core, 20-200 GiB storage, so absolutely capable of running MT for a few friends) start at even lower prices. The cheapest I was able to find was 1.79 Euros (~2 USD) for unlimited traffic, 20 GiB storage 1GiB RAM single core (well, not really capable to run a 10 people server with a lot of mods though).

A good configuration I found (unlimited traffic, 500 GiB storage with r/w cache on SSD, 6 GiB RAM, dual core) is available for around 8 Euros (8.60 USD) and can run a small server to play on with friends and some mods. There is plenty of storage, lots of RAM for the price, and the dual core CPU isn’t that much of an issue since MT is single-threaded anyways.

If you want to go big into business with running a Minetest server none of those offers is relevant for you, but the offer Minetesthosting has isn’t either.

For their “Large” offer you get a pretty beefy machine (real hardware) from other hosting providers and there you can run as many worlds with as many players as you want – you can even run your website and communication (Mumble, for example) there.

Or you use any of those “dynamic DNS” services and host the server on your own hardware using your own Internet connection.

Or, maybe the best solution, find some friends to play with and share the costs.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Mineminer wrote:Seriously I haven't seen them go for any good prices. Even "high end" VPSes don't include it (I am talking about those that over $10 to $20/GB VPSes).
Could we please agree on the fact that not all servers are VPSes? Some are shared hosting, some are actual hardware used exclusively, etc. VPS is just the wrong term.

I agree that VPSes are often just "shared" in the way that you don't get exclusive CPU cycles and such but the reason they are called that your still having your own private server at the end of the day. IE still able to SSH in and install "what you want" as long as you don't go outside of "shared" boundaries and such.

My problem with most of these that they are mostly "unmanaged" VPSes. I cannot even find a reliable one that comes with management in the USA without breaking the bank.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Mineminer wrote:I agree that VPSes are often just "shared" in the way that you don't get exclusive CPU cycles and such
Since a VPS is a virtual machine you get exclusive CPU cycles (but your virtual machine usually does not get them, but to the OS installed in your VPS it look like that, i.e. you have a PID 1 in your environment, you have the full RAM address range, you don’t share anything with other customers, etc.)
Mineminer wrote:but the reason they are called that your still having your own private server at the end of the day.
You also have your own private server when hosting exclusively on the metal (not for 20 bucks though *g*). Only if you share the same physical hardware your server isn’t really a “private” server. Being a VPS or not has nothing to do with being porivate or not. You can share on a VPS as well. It is actually quite common to share virtual hardware between multiple customers (usually the cheaper webhosting offers are just shared space on a virtual server).
Mineminer wrote:My problem with most of these that they are mostly "unmanaged" VPSes.
Some are, some aren’t. But managing a server is not THAT hard actually. Use a solid server distribution like Debian (some hosters let you chose between some environments, most of them are preconfigured for specific tasks – but this highly depends on the hosting provider) and you’re good to go. Log in via SSH every now and then to run a system update and backup. Some hosters even provide IP KVM (mine does that for the servers using a Java based web interface) in case you fucked up the system …
Mineminer wrote:I cannot even find a reliable one that comes with management in the USA without breaking the bank.
Host in Europe :) Even if our private Internet access sector lacks availability and performance our private server hosting infrastructure is quite decent. You find some good offers that fit your needs ranging from a few Cents for a year up to a 4-digits number a month.

Managed virtual servers actually usable for Minetest hosting start at 16-20 Euros. Managed servers (even if mostly automated) are expensive if done properly.

If you’re short on money you simply won’t find a reliable professional hosting provider offering managed servers (no matter if VPS or real hardware, or shared hosting) that are capable to properly run Minetest. But if you’re short on money Minetest server hosting should not be on your priority list :)

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Mineminer wrote:I agree that VPSes are often just "shared" in the way that you don't get exclusive CPU cycles and such
Since a VPS is a virtual machine you get exclusive CPU cycles (but your virtual machine usually does not get them, but to the OS installed in your VPS it look like that, i.e. you have a PID 1 in your environment, you have the full RAM address range, you don’t share anything with other customers, etc.)
Mineminer wrote:but the reason they are called that your still having your own private server at the end of the day.
You also have your own private server when hosting exclusively on the metal (not for 20 bucks though *g*). Only if you share the same physical hardware your server isn’t really a “private” server. Being a VPS or not has nothing to do with being porivate or not. You can share on a VPS as well. It is actually quite common to share virtual hardware between multiple customers (usually the cheaper webhosting offers are just shared space on a virtual server).
Mineminer wrote:My problem with most of these that they are mostly "unmanaged" VPSes.
Some are, some aren’t. But managing a server is not THAT hard actually. Use a solid server distribution like Debian (some hosters let you chose between some environments, most of them are preconfigured for specific tasks – but this highly depends on the hosting provider) and you’re good to go. Log in via SSH every now and then to run a system update and backup. Some hosters even provide IP KVM (mine does that for the servers using a Java based web interface) in case you fucked up the system …
Mineminer wrote:I cannot even find a reliable one that comes with management in the USA without breaking the bank.
Host in Europe :) Even if our private Internet access sector lacks availability and performance our private server hosting infrastructure is quite decent. You find some good offers that fit your needs ranging from a few Cents for a year up to a 4-digits number a month.

Managed virtual servers actually usable for Minetest hosting start at 16-20 Euros. Managed servers (even if mostly automated) are expensive if done properly.

If you’re short on money you simply won’t find a reliable professional hosting provider offering managed servers (no matter if VPS or real hardware, or shared hosting) that are capable to properly run Minetest. But if you’re short on money Minetest server hosting should not be on your priority list :)

I get it, but really is even $20 too little for this for managed USA hosting even if it a SMALL service?

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

You can also get it for just 15€ and it's also Managed

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Unbelievable... Guess what my provider just told me about insane RAM increase with ZERO instances or any other games running? That I could just "stop MySQL because it won't break the game".

I am like... Sure I has to try that sometimes!

I am so "firing" them as soon as I try someone else... :(

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

Last edited by Lejo on Thu Mar 08, 2018 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Non EIG please, thanks.