Help me please to move from minecraft to minetest

po4taib

Help me please to move from minecraft to minetest

by po4taib » Post

So I ve been playing minecraft for a very long time but its proprietary and there is minetest.

Well isn't it easy to just download it, its free right? Yes and no.

1)it isnt a copy (which isnt a problem)
2)it isnt as full as standart minecraft (this is main problem)

both games can be modded but in minecraft you can do so much more with standart version, I only had to install one mod that usually nobody needs anyway, but in minetest there is nothing but digging.

Usually i avoid modding because it is often unstable, I don't know how it works in minetest but it seems like i will need a lot of mods, and probably there will be a problem with updates, like game updated, mod a updated mod b not updated etc

Yes there are subgames but how they work? if subgame had world generation v5 then the whole world would be forever v5 even after updates?

It just seems like too much and I am not confident in the result.

what I need:
redstone
farms, like real mechanisms not just a block that produces other block
mobs including hostile
some reason to explore world like rpg dungeons idk unique biomes with rare stuff
rails and carts
survival

MineYoshi

Re: Help me please to move from minecraft to minetest

by MineYoshi » Post

Using Duckduckgo or Google to search the mods or what you want is the best advice. So far modding in this game is not unstable, firstly because of the Lua Modding API this game offers; maybe you will see some problems installing some mods or running them, but every program has problems too so far so that´s normal.

Always that you have the last version of Minetest and the last version of the mods you are installing there is no problem about updates; actually the only thing you need for mods to work in most cases is the latest working Minetest version.

Subgames are a collection of mods to make an unique game. If you want a game like Minecraft try installing Mineclone 2, a subgame made by Wuzzy.

Mesecons is a mod that replaces redstone, the other mods are easily found searching with Duckduckgo or Google.
Have a nice day! :D

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

for redstone: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=628&hilit=mesecons
for more crops: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9019&hilit=farming
for mobs: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9917
for exciting biomes: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14638
for minecarts: already included in minetest as of 0.4.15
for survival: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19675&hilit=stamina and: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4654&hilit=armor
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

po4taib wrote: real mechanisms not just a block that produces other block
Pipeworks
Technic
Mesecons

Plus a metric shit-ton of time to understand how you can combine all of them to do whatever you want :)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Minetest has mods that are much more stable than MC, we generally never break mods even ones from 2012, although they sometimes need minor updates, but the mod author will (should) do this. Mods vary in quality so choose ones that are well maintained. Some popular mods that become unmaintained often are adopted by others and maintained.

> Yes there are subgames but how they work? if subgame had world generation v5 then the whole world would be forever v5 even after updates?

Yes we don't break worlds.
Generally MT is much kinder to users in the long term than MC is.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

First of all, you REALLY want to learn about subgames. I cannot stress enough how important they are to Minetest. They are very simple to install: You just extract a Zip archive into the games/ directory, restart Minetest and you have a complete new game installed. Subgames are actually simpler to use than mods, so you should start with trying out other subgames.

Read everything about subgames here:
https://wiki.minetest.net/Subgames

Here's a Minecraft clone with farming, redstone, survival, mobs, dungeons and other goodies:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16407
Yes, it's mine but it fits your requirements (I hope).

“Minetest Game” is just the default subgame. As you have already noticed, it's pretty barren and boring. Pretty much every newbie thinks that way. Without mods, Minetest Game is really just a bad joke. The previous posters already have posted mods you could use, but they only work for Minetest Game. Those are all legitimate suggestions, however.
Note in my opinion, Minetest Game (without mods) is one of the worst subgames and it really should not be the default one.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Without mods, Minetest Game is really just a bad joke. [...] Minetest Game (without mods) is one of the worst subgames and it really should not be the default one.
Quoted for emphasis.

On-Topic: Check the viewforum.php?f=48

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I've tried a lot of subgames, but none are as stable or polished like MTG. MTG just lacks depth or any interesting features
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:I've tried a lot of subgames, but none are as stable or polished like MTG.
It’s easy to polish the surface if there isn’t any.

Etherdreamer

by Etherdreamer » Post

Hey, I as well giving Minetest a shot.
But I am using Linux Mint and there is a ton of versions on the download page. What version I should download? also I pretty much want the same as po4taib sai.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Since Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, you should be able to get Minetest through the system's package manager. This is the preferred way.
Only do installation “by hand” if you really must.

You should get the latest version if you can. Currently, that's 0.4.16.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Another interesting option is to join a server. While mileages may varies. Usually you don't even need to install the mods in order to play with them. That what I love about this game. Just pop them in a server and bam everyone else can play (provided there is not any client requirements).

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

Etherdreamer wrote:Hey, I as well giving Minetest a shot.
But I am using Linux Mint and there is a ton of versions on the download page. What version I should download? also I pretty much want the same as po4taib sai.
The most current version of Minetest in LinuxMint 18.x is MT 0.4.13. If you want the current stable version of MT 0.4.16 use the Ubuntu Stable PPA. If you want a dev build the go to the Ubuntu Daily Build PPA. The lastest daily build on the PPA was 7 hours ago, but I don't know how that build is when compared to compiling from source from github.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

Buddler
In-game: Buddler
Location: Sometimes Redwood Island, sometimes Chillville, otherwise Germany

by Buddler » Post

The main difference between Minecraft and Minetest is:

Minecraft is intended to be a 100% complete game with all your heart's desires pre-installed and then some. Modding is optional, and as far as I know, it can still be quite hackish.

Minetest, however, isn't a game at all. It's a modding platform. Upon that come the actual games (a.k.a. subgames) which are basically bundles of mods. Minetest itself comes with minetest_game which is pretty frugal by intention, because it's meant to be modded the heck out of. It only comes with the very bare necessities. Anything beyond that is stuff that not everyone might want to have, so it isn't forced down gamers' throats. If you want it, add it as a mod. If not, it isn't there, easy as that.