Microsoft interest in minetest

lightseer

Microsoft interest in minetest

by lightseer » Post

I run linux clients and the Windows 10 client. Lately I have noticed several episodes where Windows 10 has reported errors about Minetest to Windows 10. This is unusual as I have been running minetest for over a month. I think that since MS bought minecraft that minetest is considered a thread to profit. I think we should notate any changes in how Windows 10 behaves towards our minetest clients.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

Re: Microsoft interest in minetest

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I don't think they would bother to include something targeting Minetest specifically in a widely distributed OS, I'd better imagine it's due to random bugs of Windows. But also Minetest itself is developed primarily on Linux and I wouldn't be surprised if some tests on Windows were not sufficient. You should report us the error messages you get.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:I don't think they would bother to include something targeting Minetest specifically in a widely distributed OS, I'd better imagine it's due to random bugs of Windows. But also Minetest itself is developed primarily on Linux and I wouldn't be surprised if some tests on Windows were not sufficient. You should report us the error messages you get.
I think that the sheer fact that Mojang was bought for such incredible sum of money gives a hint that voxel sandboxes for some reason are generally of interest to M$. That's first. Second, I don't think that what this thread is about is any kind of proof for "targeting" Minetest either, but, on the other hand, such situation doesn't seem to be inconceivable. I use Opera browser and a few years ago I encountered multiple situations when many if not most web sites were inaccessible to me, to the point I phoned my acquaintances to assure myself that there's no major web breakdown. Then I learned that in fact there were some sophisticated methods used to "cripple" this browser, but there's of course no proof that M$ stood behind this...
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

voxelproof wrote:I think that the sheer fact that Mojang was bought for such incredible sum of money gives a hint that voxel sandboxes for some reason are generally of interest to M$.
Their games in specific are. They internally name their updates "Redstone" and their speech assistant is named after "Cortana" from their Halo games.

Since they invest a lot in FLOSS lately they're in the first phase of EEE. Minetest would be just another point on their checklist since it is the most widespread alternative to their Minecraft game.

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

Going as far as making Minetest crash? I have slight doubts, when they ship the biggest fleet of advocates in history.
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

uwu

by uwu » Post

I wouldn't rule it out.
Microsoft has intentionally crippled Windows when it was still a DOS add-on to throw an error if it ran on a competitor's DOS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARD_code
An "error" message that wasn't technical in nature but pure bullshit designed to make DR-DOS look bad.

Nobody can know if they still pull these stunts today, because the source is closed.

Skulls
In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Post

Where is a tin foil hat mod when you need it?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Microsoft doesn't need to modify their OS to make Minetest crash, the program does that well enough by itself
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

What's with the overreaction? I have Windows 10, and whenever any program crashes, the same error message pops up with a loading bar and the text "Hang on while we report the problem to Microsoft" or something very similar. They do this to make themselves sound like they're trying to help you out, but they aren't. There's nothing to worry about.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Skulls
In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Post

v-rob wrote:There's nothing to worry about.
Or is there?

*doom doom doom DOOOOOOM*

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

IIRC the first major update to Windows 10 suddenly disabled a bunch of CPU benchmarking and overclocking tools.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

I have nothing to add as I have found all of the replies so far informative. My reply to Sailly:
Gael de Sailly wrote:I don't think they would bother to include something targeting Minetest specifically in a widely distributed OS, I'd better imagine it's due to random bugs of Windows. But also Minetest itself is developed primarily on Linux and I wouldn't be surprised if some tests on Windows were not sufficient. You should report us the error messages you get.
Ok, I take your comment very seriously. If I have something worth reporting I will do so.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

This morning something caused my Windows 10 firewall to block the minetest client. I was unable to access public servers. Its never done that before. I unblocked the setting in the firewall and then I was able to find public servers again. What caused Windows 10 to arbitrarily block my application today?

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

lightseer wrote:This morning something caused my Windows 10 firewall to block the minetest client. I was unable to access public servers. Its never done that before. I unblocked the setting in the firewall and then I was able to find public servers again. What caused Windows 10 to arbitrarily block my application today?
In Win8.1 there're also problems when player starts MT for the first time. You have to be really quick to enable "server options" in pop-up Windows menu or the system will block it forever. Then you'll have to uninstall/delete MT folder and start the blindman's buff again. Once I made 5 or so attempts before being able to run the MT game which btw makes the further experience all the more valuable ;) .

On the other hand one cannot refuse to acknowledge some sadomasochistic charm surrounding this famous Redmond stuff.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson