[Server] Capture the Flag Server

IceAgeComing

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by IceAgeComing » Post

PETE wrote:
Waterbug wrote:I have an idea for balancing the teams better: the server could evenly split pro players between the two teams at the beginning of each match (telling who a pro player is by their kill/death ratio) and then evenly split the noob players (players with low kill/death ratio) between the two teams.

That would make swapping teams easier to abuse pros will make a new account and try to join the other team possibly creating a n unfair advantage if you want pros to be split.
I don't think there would be too many doing that. I think most pros enjoy even teams, killing noobs that offer no challenge gets boring really fast.

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

Waterbug wrote:I have an idea for balancing the teams better: the server could evenly split pro players between the two teams at the beginning of each match (telling who a pro player is by their kill/death ratio) and then evenly split the noob players (players with low kill/death ratio) between the two teams.
rubenwardy - What does the current team-alloc. algo even do to decide which player goes on which team? Waterbug's idea is very simple and easy-to-implement, and yet it's quite robust. However, I see a couple of draw-backs here - read further...
PETE wrote:That would make swapping teams easier to abuse pros will make a new account and try to join the other team possibly creating a n unfair advantage if you want pros to be split.
This seems to be the only draw-back in Waterbug's idea, which can hopefully be addressed like so - since it's possible to identify all the alts of a player, we could choose the best Score-K/D combination from the list of all the alts, and use that to implement Waterbug's original idea. I've been thinking of similar ideas too, and I hope this replaces the old algo asap...
Waterbug wrote:Okay guys, I have an idea that maybe might just put the spawn-killing issue to rest forever: Players could get the normal amount of points for the first few spawn-kills they do in a match as if it were a perfectly legitimate kill, then the next few spawn-kills result in 0 points gained or lost (this could allow for the little bit of spawn-killing that is sometimes necessary); and then any further spawn-killing by the player results in lost points with the amount of points lost per kill increasing exponentially the more spawn-kills the player does in that match. For example: a spawn-killer could lose only a few points for a spawn-kill if they have only spawn-killed 10 or so times that match, but a player who has spawn-killed dozens of times loses like 100 points per spawn-kill.
TumeniNodes wrote:I have a better idea. When you spawn-kill..., you die. And you cannot rejoin the game for a set time after
Interesting suggestions, but we're still stuck at square 1 until we can actually distinguish spawn-killing from the humanely kills. Any ideas for that?
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

Ruto
IRC: Ruto
In-game: Ruto

by Ruto » Post

i think this server needs armors

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Me too.
What is SCP-055?

Waterbug
IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman

by Waterbug » Post

Here's how I would define unnecessary spawn-killing if anyone asked me: Killing players within x blocks of their flag that don't have good weapons in their inventory. If you killed someone within x blocks of their flag and they did have good weapons in their inventory then I would consider it a fair kill.

As for the ideas we come up with, none of them can be absolutely perfect; and probably no definition of spawn-killing can be perfect either. So we just have to settle with the best we can do.
Last edited by Waterbug on Fri Mar 30, 2018 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

ANAND wrote:
TumeniNodes wrote:I have a better idea. When you spawn-kill..., you die. And you cannot rejoin the game for a set time after
Interesting suggestions, but we're still stuck at square 1 until we can actually distinguish spawn-killing from the humanely kills. Any ideas for that?
Possibly set the spawn outside of the play zone? Newly spawned in player is invincible and cannot inflict any damage until a specific stage of being spawned in.
One way or the other, there must be a way to set it up so that there is no chance of an "accidental" spawn kill, which would expose those who may be doing so just for their own fun, making the game unenjoyable for those who are there to actually play the game and follow the rules of conduct.

I admit, I am throwing ideas, not having ever actually played. I will probably give it a go one day..., just look for the one being killed repeatedly at spawn.
A Wonderful World

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

An even better idea to prevent spawn-killing than the one I just suggested and has already been proposed before by someone else might be to separate the spawn area form the flag area by some distance. Many other similar games do this and don't have much of a spawn-killing issue at all because of it. This would make it so that no spawn-killing would ever be necessary and therefore make it so that we could punish spawn-killing severely without having to worry about punishing perfectly fair kills by accident.

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ
In-game: SouperRayene10 CESTRayCRYSTAL

by CESTRayCRYSTALwZ » Post

Add an StarWars Map :D / Pokemon staduim / Big Mine Map /FootBall Staduim map/ vilage map / space ships map / Ships in Ocean PVP as pirates .... Many Maps suggestions :DDD

Enrikoo
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

by Enrikoo » Post

A great idea! I agree with you, because the K/D ratios are not as different as they used to be in coincidence. We're lucky and play more epic games that last 1 hour and almost everyone with 20 K / D ratio go deeper and when the K/D differences are so close that the mod does not know where the player (who plays with the same K/D like the other), the mod has to randomize the players because the differences are so small.

It will not be too bad if we can add armor. Then maybe you will not get the same K/D ratio
CESTRayCRYSTALwZ wrote:Add an StarWars Map :D / Pokemon staduim / Big Mine Map /FootBall Staduim map/ vilage map / space ships map / Ships in Ocean PVP as pirates .... Many Maps suggestions :DDD
If a player works on your map ideas, he has done it in about 1 or 2 weeks until he is done with all the maps. So you need more players to get it done or people.
Last edited by Enrikoo on Fri Mar 30, 2018 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The rules have been updated. Excessive spawn killing is now banned, along with changing teams.

Here are the new rules:

Code: Select all

By playing on this server you agree to these rules:

1. No swearing, dating, or other inappriopriate behaviour..
2. Don't be a cheater. No hacked clients.
3. Don't excessively spawnkill. Some spawn killing to stop players chasing
        the flag bearer is OK, but hogging the flag and repeatedly killing
        the same players definitely isn't.
4. Don't be a traitor. Don't:
    a. Dig blocks in your base to make it less secure or
       to trap team mates on purpose.
    b. Help the other team win.
    c. Change teams.
5. Don't impersonate other community members
6. Moderator decisions are final.

Failure to follow these rules may result in a kick or ban
     (temp or permanent) depending on severity.

Though the server owner will not actively read private messages or disclose
their content outside the mod team, random checks will be done to make sure
they are not being abused and they will be reviewed if abuse or inappropriate
behaviour is suspected.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Waterbug wrote:Here's how I would define unnecessary spawn-killing if anyone asked me: Killing players within x blocks of their flag and they don't have good weapons in their inventory. If you killed someone within x blocks of their flag and they did have good weapons in their inventory then I would consider it a fair kill.
Fair enough...
TumeniNodes wrote:Possibly set the spawn outside of the play zone?
SkyWars style, huh? IMHO, this might actually work...
TumeniNodes wrote:just look for the one being killed repeatedly at spawn.
This is like asking us to look for a needle in a hay-stack :P

But since the rules have been updated now, the days of endless massacres are behind us now (hopefully)...
Waterbug wrote:An even better idea to prevent spawn-killing than the one I just suggested and has already been proposed before by someone else might be to separate the spawn area form the flag area by some distance. Many other similar games do this and don't have much of a spawn-killing issue at all because of it. This would make it so that no spawn-killing would ever be necessary and therefore make it so that we could punish spawn-killing severely without having to worry about punishing perfectly fair kills by accident.
rubenwardy was actually planning to randomize spawn, so that a player could spawn anywhere on the map (within limits of course). The team-chest needn't be a physical entity, and its formspec could just be another page in the sfinv mod - that way, players can access the team-chest by just pressing 'i' irrespective of their location.
rubenwardy wrote:The rules have been updated. Excessive spawn killing is now banned, along with changing teams.

Here are the new rules:

Code: Select all

By playing on this server you agree to these rules:

1. No swearing, dating, or other inappriopriate behaviour..
2. Don't be a cheater. No hacked clients.
3. Don't excessively spawnkill. Some spawn killing to stop players chasing
        the flag bearer is OK, but hogging the flag and repeatedly killing
        the same players definitely isn't.
4. Don't be a traitor. Don't:
    a. Dig blocks in your base to make it less secure or
       to trap team mates on purpose.
    b. Help the other team win.
    c. Change teams.
5. Don't impersonate other community members
6. Moderator decisions are final.

Failure to follow these rules may result in a kick or ban
     (temp or permanent) depending on severity.

Though the server owner will not actively read private messages or disclose
their content outside the mod team, random checks will be done to make sure
they are not being abused and they will be reviewed if abuse or inappropriate
behaviour is suspected.
Finally! The mods can now just quote the rules as a solid reason to stop spawn-killing... Thanks for the much needed update! :D
My Mods

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

ANAND wrote: rubenwardy was actually planning to randomize spawn, so that a player could spawn anywhere on the map (with limits of course). The team-chest needn't be a physical entity, and its formspec could just be another page in the sfinv mod - that way, players can access the team-chest by just pressing 'i' irrespective of their location.
I think making it so players could access the team-chest from anywhere on the map would actually screw up game-play. I like the fact that the team-chest is a physical entity because players have to go all the way back to base form wherever they are on the map to put weapons and equipment away. And if players spawned at random places on the map then everyone would have to constantly worry about someone spawning next to them and killing them by surprise (especially if they can access the team-chest from wherever). I think this idea is full of problems.

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ

GUYS ERRORRR : i and aurika saw a player who uses flying and fast privelleges ... a hackers and not lagg or glitch or any thing ...

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

Do you know what their name was?

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ

Waterbug wrote:Do you know what their name was?
he was really fast i cannot see his name i promise u

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ wrote:
Next time make sure to report them using /report. I hope to work on a way of automating this at some point
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ

rubenwardy wrote:
CESTRayCRYSTALwZ wrote:
Next time make sure to report them using /report. I hope to work on a way of automating this at some point
ok im online and i think that he still here i will download a recorder to record while playing ok ?

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

rubenwardy wrote:The rules have been updated. Excessive spawn killing is now banned, along with changing teams.
A small rule point about switching teams: if a player unintentionally switched after client shutdown, is him allowed to recover his former team?
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:A small rule point about switching teams: if a player unintentionally switched after client shutdown, is him allowed to recover his former team?
This is indeed a tricky issue. I myself have my client crashing and freezing on numerous occasions...

That being said, we can easily identify those who try to switch on purpose, since the relentlessly keep re-logging until they join the other team. Most players also explicitly express their intentions in chat...
My Mods

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ

Work as fast possible for an mode who desable using all types of cheating programs or files editing to get flying fast privs ...the hackers are very careful but im sure that i saw a player who was flying and too fast and he fly from the mountain to the other side of blues base and super fast the stamina can t do that . and Aurika saw him too im not only so good luck with all the work of the future ..

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ

you need to do a thing : a capture the flag private webcam or something like this in a website to can see what s players are doing not bad idea

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

Setting the spawn away from the base and detecting spawnkills the way waterbug suggested might just fix the spawnkilling issue.
ANAND wrote:
Gael de Sailly wrote:A small rule point about switching teams: if a player unintentionally switched after client shutdown, is him allowed to recover his former team?
This is indeed a tricky issue. I myself have my client crashing and freezing on numerous occasions...

That being said, we can easily identify those who try to switch on purpose, since the relentlessly keep re-logging until they join the other team. Most players also explicitly express their intentions in chat...

What if the game made a list of which players are on what team and saved it for the entire match,
then if a player tries switching it could just check the list
and since the server also knows a players alts, if a player tries joining as their alt it just seds the alt to the team the player was on. ya know what i mean?
no

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

cautiouspotato wrote:What if the game made a list of which players are on what team and saved it for the entire match, then if a player tries switching it could just check the list and since the server also knows a players alts, if a player tries joining as their alt it just seds the alt to the team the player was on. ya know what i mean?
Yes - this was exactly what was proposed in the related GitHub Issue too.
My Mods

csirolli
GitHub: HeyITGuyFixIt
IRC: CSirolli
In-game: CSirolli

by csirolli » Post

Why can there only be 30 players at a time in this server?

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ

Guys you need to add code or a mode who detect the speed of the fast priv and not the stamina ... if any player hack it and when he use it 1 or 2 secondes and he will be auto kicked ... ( This type of modes can be found in others games like Minecraft multiplayer and others ) and the same thing with flying priv :D