[Mod] Mobs War [mobs_war]

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

[Mod] Mobs War [mobs_war]

by Dokimi » Post

I had wanted some mobs for mobs_redo that were more intense...

Then I got carried away...

And things got intense!

These mobs will reduce the world to a smoldering ruin, fill the air with the sounds of screams, and leave you measuring your life-span in minutes.

It converts Minetest into a full scale war.

How does it work?
You are in a war between 'Defenders' (friendly) and 'Shooters' (hostile).

Mobs only spawn in territory controlled by their side. Territory markers are set up by the map spawner, and are created by the mobs themselves. Territory markers also form around the player if they possess the defender rifle/machinegun. Territory markers disappate over time, and can be changed into those of the opposing side. This allows territory to be won, lost, or abandoned by both sides. Control shows up on the minimap: blue is friendly territory, red is hostile.

Fighting will continue until either one side wins, or both are annihilated.

Includes various mobs, player weapons (rifles, flamethrowers, bazookas...), and spawns blast resistant bunkers.

License
See the readme file for credits.
Mostly code is licensed under GNU LGPLv2+, with textures, models, and sound under CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported.

Dependencies:
tnt
fire
farming
bones
beds
doors
mobs (see mobs_redo)

DOWNLOAD

View code at Github:
https://github.com/DokimiCU/mobs_war.git

Attachments
mobs_war2.png
mobs_war2.png (838.81 KiB) Viewed 693 times
mobs_war1.png
mobs_war1.png (953.29 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Dokimi

Re: [Mod] Mobs War [mobs_war]

by Dokimi » Post

I created this a while ago, then forgot about it (I wasn't 100% happy with it). But I've been clearing out the 'file-drawer' of old mod attempts lately... and it's still fun.

However, I wont be developing this further. If anyone wants to make this better, then it's all yours!

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Post

It locks like it could be very laggy.
Can your read this?

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Messy and extreme as I like.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Lord_Vlad

by Lord_Vlad » Post

It looks SO FUN. I'm going to edit this post after I test it.

EDIT : Yup, it's fun, but not perfect. It feels like the shooters have a huge advantage over the defenders, I could barely find any blue land and had no problem finding huge red areas. Furthermore, the NPCs don't seem too eager to conquer any territory. Most of them just stay around one place and wait.

The Autocannon is too OP. Vehicules are generally much too hard to beat, even with the best weapons.
Also I don't know why but I never really found a correct ranged weapon in minetest for as long as I played. Here we have riffles that shoot snail bullets, so you shoot several of them and wait for them to reach the enemy, where most of the time, it will just go through it. Also I could never even land one hit with the flamethrower.

Other than that, it's not good that you can wipe out tons of enemies and not even influence the territories. It would be nice to get an item on enemies that destroys some of their territory markers when used. Also, the war feels slow. The defenders once conquered a whole plot of land on their own, but the shooters markers were so all over the place that it didn't amount to anything. Air markers are a good idea, but you should have more ways to influence them.

EDIT PS: about the guns, it would make sense that one would use the game mechanics of doom to make guns in minetest : when the gun is fired, the game checks if there is an enemy pointed why the cross at that moment and then applies the damages immediately. It would sure make it run better and faster if well done.

I really hope somebody takes on the development of this.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Yep, those are pretty much the reasons i wasn't happy with it!

Here's some thoughts for anyone who wants to improve it

It feels like the shooters have a huge advantage over the defenders, I could barely find any blue land and had no problem finding huge red areas....
Easy fix - I done it on purpose. In the spawn.lua file where it sets up the the territory markers this can be changed. I done that because I got the feeling the defenders had a huge advantage (and for a challenge)! That might have been because of the player... or maybe because Mobs_redo treats Monsters (shooters) and NPCs (defenders) differently (maybe...)

Furthermore, the NPCs don't seem too eager to conquer any territory. Most of them just stay around one place and wait.
Thats Mobs_redo behaviour. They need some extra function to send them after the enemy, or to seek out and convert enemy territory markers, or even just a swarming function (I talk about that kind of stuff in my Self Organizing systems modpack) so they stick together and move around as a group.
The Autocannon is too OP. Vehicules are generally much too hard to beat, even with the best weapons.

Easy fix - lower their hit points. (although I recommend the flamethrower... make them stand there in the flames and burn)
Also I don't know why but I never really found a correct ranged weapon in minetest for as long as I played. Here we have riffles that shoot snail bullets, so you shoot several of them and wait for them to reach the enemy, where most of the time, it will just go through it. Also I could never even land one hit with the flamethrower.
This was my main problem with it. Doing guns by adding entities or particles as bullets is a failed approach. I couldn't make them fast without issues. Slow is ridiculous. They hit other bullets, the rain, smoke... (never use a bazooka in the rain! Boom!)
... Air markers are a good idea, but you should have more ways to influence them...
Yeah, the mobs need to be more proactive about finding and converting them (instead of randomly wandering). Markers could be made to dissappate much quicker (to prevent stalemate... and combined with factories/victory points that ensure the mobs don't die out by accident (like how the drones are currently done)
EDIT PS: about the guns, it would make sense that one would use the game mechanics of doom to make guns in minetest : when the gun is fired, the game checks if there is an enemy pointed why the cross at that moment and then applies the damages immediately. It would sure make it run better and faster if well done.
Yeah - this is the way. Just... I have no idea how that would be coded!
I really hope somebody takes on the development of this.
So do I, it is fun, even despite it's flaws.

csirolli
GitHub: HeyITGuyFixIt
IRC: CSirolli
In-game: CSirolli

by csirolli » Post

If you set "group_attack" to true when you register the NPCs, then they will group together to attack the offender. The NPCs of advanced_npc uses this, and more than once they ganged up and on me killed me quickly (since I forgot to wear any armor).

I need to take some time to test this mod out.