Free domain for minetest servers and projects: minetest.land

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

Free domain for minetest servers and projects: minetest.land

by DrFrankenstone » Post

i.e. free Minetest subdomains: minetest.land is registered for for at least 10 years and pointed to FreeDNS.

This allows anyone running their own Minetest server at home to use a world name, like myworld.minetest.land for their server name, instead of 198.51.147.23, or minetest4.ds2.someisp.ex etc. - and not have the domain expire on you.

Web forwarding is also provided, so Minetest projects, players or websites could to take myproject.minetest.land as a URL. It's even possible to set up email addresses off the subdomains but I don't recommend that.

FreeDNS provide apps so that your home computer is able to keep your chosen domains automatically pointing to your home IP address.

Step by step guide

Future-proofing: If changes are needed to the domain and I can't be contacted, texmex also has admin access.
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Sun Apr 19, 2020 05:53, edited 6 times in total.

Jone

Re: New domain for anybody to use: minetest.land

by Jone » Post

Thank you very much for setting this up. I am using it now.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

That's quite generous, DrFrankenstone. Thanks!

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Excellent! It didn't sink like a stone :)

and cheers texmex.

I always felt there should be something like this, or that game servers should come with dyndns built in, so it's partly curiosity.

FWIW, 6 subdomains get auto-allocated (in this case to me), so when FreeDNS says there are "8 hosts in use", you know there are 2 domains currently taken by Minetest servers - Jone and someone else.

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

DrFrankenstone, great work! :)

I'd love to see a tutorial to set up a minetest.land sub-domain though - the process seems to be a little too complex for the average home-server owners/admins, as this initiative is targeted primarily at them...
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Yeah, it's pretty easy while appearing very scary and technical.

I'll look at adding a step-by-step tutorial for FreeDNS, perhaps to the Minetest wiki, and link to that page.

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:Yeah, it's pretty easy while appearing very scary and technical.

I'll look at adding a step-by-step tutorial for FreeDNS, perhaps to the Minetest wiki, and link to that page.
That would be great, thanks! :)
My Mods

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

I've added a step by step guide to the wiki.

Sometimes it's hard to know which parts people will find confusing, so if anyone has feedback on the guide, or any confusion or difficulties faced while trying to register a domain name, let me know.

Positive feedback is also useful - I haven't linked to the guide from anywhere yet (except here).

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:I've added a step by step guide to the wiki.

Sometimes it's hard to know which parts people will find confusing, so if anyone has feedback on the guide, or any confusion or difficulties faced while trying to register a domain name, let me know.

Positive feedback is also useful - I haven't linked to the guide from anywhere yet (except here).
That's a very comprehensive guide, thanks!

I'll give it a try and let you know. :)
My Mods

PETE
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Post

ANAND wrote:
DrFrankenstone wrote:I've added a step by step guide to the wiki.

That's a very comprehensive guide, thanks!

I'll give it a try and let you know. :)
Are you going to make a server?
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Thank you for the subdomain! I've already added one for me to use in case of need.
A list of my mods can be found here.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

So I'm allowed to make a subdomain magicctf.minetest.land ? 0.0 Thanks very much !
EDIT : How can I redirect to the Magic-CTF Website if the subdomain is accessed from a browser ??
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

You can either use the Web Forward feature:

or you could have magicctf.minetest.land resolve to the IP address of your computer/server, and have your server support both minetest connections and web browser connections (they happen on different ports). It depends what you want to do, because while you have it using FreeDNS's built-in Web Forward feature the IP address of the subdomain will point at their forwarder rather than at your computer.

Create yourself some subdomains and play around with them.

This URL --> http://www.minetest.land is an example of using Web Forward, it forwards you to https://buildingwithblocks.info/minetest.land/.

(in this example it's using a 'cloaked' forward, which means that instead of sending your browser to the target website, FreeDNS create a webpage that will display the target website inside it. The advantage of doing it the cloaked way is the url in the browser window doesn't change like it would with a proper 'uncloaked' web redirection, but I think a cloaked forward might be less robust - I've seen Privacy Badger call shenanigans on the behavior and block it once - though it seems to allow it now)
Attachments
web forward.png
web forward.png (24.29 KiB) Viewed 1607 times

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:You can either use the Web Forward feature:

or you could have magicctf.minetest.land resolve to the IP address of your computer/server, and have your server support both minetest connections and web browser connections (they happen on different ports). It depends what you want to do, because while you have it using FreeDNS's built-in Web Forward feature the IP address of the subdomain will point at their forwarder rather than at your computer.

Create yourself some subdomains and play around with them.

This URL --> http://www.minetest.land is an example of using Web Forward, it forwards you to https://buildingwithblocks.info/minetest.land/.
yourname
(in this example it's using a 'cloaked' forward, which means that instead of sending your browser to the target website, FreeDNS create a webpage that will display the target website inside it. The advantage of doing it the cloaked way is the url in the browser window doesn't change like it would with a proper 'uncloaked' web redirection, but I think a cloaked forward might be less robust - I've seen Privacy Badger call shenanigans on the behavior and block it once - though it seems to allow it now)
Thanks for the quick response ! Added web forwarding to the Magic-CTF subdomain.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

scr267
In-game: scr267

Re: Free domain for minetest servers and projects: minetest.

by scr267 » Post

Thanks also! Very very helpful and handy!