No fullscreen?

crazy_baboon

No fullscreen?

by crazy_baboon » Post

Hi folks,

Is there a fullscreen option/shortcut in Minetest?

I can't find it.

l know you can set the fullscreen = true on the .conf file, but that can be an hassle.

Also, maximizing the window does not work very well for GNOME 3 users, since those folk seem to dislike having maximizing buttons on their windows.

Thanks
Last edited by crazy_baboon on Tue Apr 24, 2018 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: No fullscreen?

by rubenwardy » Post

Try alt+f11
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

I think for GNOME you have to go to settings, and bind a key manually.

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Try alt+f11
Does not work.

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Post

jas wrote:I think for GNOME you have to go to settings, and bind a key manually.
In the keybindings section, there is no fullscreeen option as of Minetest 0.4.16

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

crazy_baboon wrote:In the keybindings section, there is no fullscreeen option as of Minetest 0.4.16
Fullscreen is not toggleable in 0.4.16. Its the window manager's job anyways.

Check your window manager's documentation on how to set up a a toggle key combination for fullscreen or how to always start Minetest in fullscreen mode via window matching.

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Post

Linuxdirk wrote: Fullscreen is not toggleable in 0.4.16.

Check your window manager's documentation on how to set up a a toggle key combination for fullscreen or how to always start Minetest in fullscreen mode via window matching.
Yes, this is exatcly why I think it is an hassle not to have this fullscreen option. Many FOSS games do, and they do it for a reason.

Now... I would be interested in contributing this feature myself since I understand it might be nobody's priority.

If any Minetest maintainer is reading this, would you add this feature to mainstream Minetest?

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

crazy_baboon wrote:Many FOSS games [have a fullscreen toggle], and they do it for a reason.
But the reason is wrong. There simply is no need for this. It is convenient, yes, but it is unnecessary because every modern WM allows configuring this on a per-window basis or via key combination.

On-topic:

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2732
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/3903
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4609
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5484
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/6029

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Post

Thanks Linuxdirk.

If it adds convenience, then it is not entirely unnecessary ;)

Is there a way of getting a togglable fullscreen button in minetest graphics options to communicate directly to the Window Manager and tell this to do the job?

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

crazy_baboon wrote:Is there a way of getting a togglable fullscreen button in minetest graphics options to communicate directly to the Window Manager and tell this to do the job?
Depends on the window manager.

Since most relevant WMs support more or less large parts of EWMH sending the _NET_WM_ACTION_FULLSCREEN hint to the window switches the window to fullscreen. A better solution is - of course - not to interfere with the user’s WM and let the user decide how to toggle fullscreen either by key combination or via automatic setting of the _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN hint when the Minetest window is created. The Minetest game window has WM_CLASS "Minetest" and _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME being "Minetest 0.4.16 [OpenGL 4.6.0]".

So a simple rule (pseudocode) could be if (WM_CLASS == 'Minetest' and _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME == 'Minetest .* [OpenGL .*]') { send _NET_WM_ACTION_FULLSCREEN } to always switch the Minetest game window to fullscreen but keep the launcher as it is (the launcher has another _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME value). Most WMs abstract all of this and use some sort of configuration interface (either text based or GUI based).

The upside of this is that it properly works all the time because the WM knows best what to do for switching an application to fullscreen (multiple monitors, with maybe multiple X instances, docks, overlays of some sort, desktop borders, etc.). As mentioned in some of the linked issues fullscreen done by Irrlicht is not very good when it comes to non-default setups and toggling fullscreen is not possible without destroying the "device" and create a new one with the wanted specification. There is even a still open feature request dated back to 2009 on Sourceforge. But obviously people don’t like that.

The downside of “outsourcing” the window management to the window manager is, that the window manager needs to support at least _NET_WM_*_FULLSCREEN or allow undecorating windows so maximizing and undecorating the window can be used as workaround.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

You should never make windows fullscreen, but instead make them maximised and borderless. This doesn't require destroying the device. If Irrlicht doesn't support it, then you can do it using raw handles

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:You should never make windows fullscreen, but instead make them maximised and borderless.
There is nothing wrong with “WM fullscreen” because it’s handled properly by the WM. maximized/borderless is only a workaround (actually I use this for some applications because Openbox unfortunately “translates” the raw _NET_WM_* stuff to _OB_APP_* and does not support setting/using all of the hints/actions and I don’t want to install/configure additional software for that).
rubenwardy wrote:This doesn't require destroying the device. If Irrlicht doesn't support it, then you can do it using raw handles
Yes, Irrlicht adapts properly to window size changes. But according to quick research Irrlicht isn’t capable of toggling fullscreen state without destroying the device and creating a new one and according to the sources I found Irrlicht fullscreen has some issues with non-default setups as described.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Which is why you shouldn't use fullscreen

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Which is why you shouldn't use fullscreen
Don’t get me wrong. Nothing is bad with WM fullscreen. Setting the window hint is completely different from starting the Irrlicht device in fullscreen mode.

The first thing runs great with Minetest and all other applications I used over the years. The second thing sometimes fails miserably (spread across all monitors, not being able to Alt+Tab out, desktop border ignored, overlays are “flickering through”, etc.), even if not using Irrlicht.

So yes, “application fullscreen” is always the least desirable route to take and in my opinion the least needed route to take because all relevant window managers have at least one way to make the window use the full screen space that is available. There is simply no need for developers to re-implement such functionality all the time.

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Post

Linuxdirk wrote: “application fullscreen” is always the least desirable route to take
ok. Is that what minetest 0.5.0-dev does when you write "fullscreen = true" in the minetest.config file? I get a buggy fullscreen when I do this (the game does not fill my entire screen - using Xubuntu 16.04 64 bit).

If editing the minetest.conf file worked correctly, then I would suggest to connect the fullscreen toggle button to a text streaming of cout << "fullscreen = true". But the minetest.conf does not seem to work very well...

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

crazy_baboon wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote: “application fullscreen” is always the least desirable route to take
ok. Is that what minetest 0.5.0-dev does when you write "fullscreen = true" in the minetest.config file?
Yes, with fullscreen = true set they programmatically tell Irrlicht to start the “device” in fullscreen mode. This mode might or might not work properly depending on various things not controllable by Minetest devs.
crazy_baboon wrote:I get a buggy fullscreen when I do this (the game does not fill my entire screen - using Xubuntu 16.04 64 bit).
Maybe create an issue on GitHub or take part in one of the existing ones.
crazy_baboon wrote:But the minetest.conf does not seem to work very well...
The file es read on startup and written on shutdown as far as I know.

Brian Gaucher
GitHub: BrianGaucher
In-game: Camasia

by Brian Gaucher » Post

My solution to this problem is to use openbox. I make the windows manager maximise the window, then I tell my windows manager to undecorate. There might actually still be 1 pixel at the top not given to minetest. But I enjoy almost fullscreen with absolutely no bugs or wacky hacks. Given I chose not to install a compositor I also get a small performance boost (I think).
Current projects: Making a CTF map, Learning C++, Learning Programmer's Dvorak

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

When I Alt-F11 in GNOME, it disables compositing and increases performance (I think). In GNOME 3 you have to manually set this keybinding, however, at least I did. In Xfce, this keybinding is set out of the box (in addition to being able to right-click the title bar and click Fullscreen, ah Xfce!).