[Mod] Hoppers [hopper]

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Hoppers

by Byakuren » Post

What's the "difference in how they're placed" mentioned in the OP? That you get unexpected results if you have multiple things next to a hopper?

Is that why the chests aren't next to each other in the screenshot?

EDIT: Actually looking at the code, the answer is no.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Good news, I was picking through Pipeworks to see if I could borrow its API and I think my original approach might be salvageable after all. Pipeworks does a neat trick where it creates "fake" player objects to pass into the allow_metadata_inventory_take etc. methods. here's where it does the deed. I'm going to try implementing that.

Edit: Seems to be working! The current version of hopper now has fake players implemented for players who are offline.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

I know about that trick and think it's a big hack, but I guess that's fine for working temporarily. It also doesn't account for things like drawers that don't have a real inventory.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Can someone please explain to me how to make a side hopper?

EDIT: Ok, I get it. The reason I asked the question in the first place was because I was wondering if it's possible to place them "On top" of each other horizontally.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

BBmine wrote:Can someone please explain to me how to make a side hopper?

EDIT: Ok, I get it. The reason I asked the question in the first place was because I was wondering if it's possible to place them "On top" of each other horizontally.
Do you mean a line of side hoppers, each feeding into the next one, so that they can draw from a whole bunch of sources above and send all the items to the same destination? That should be quite possible.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

FaceDeer wrote:
BBmine wrote:Can someone please explain to me how to make a side hopper?

Do you mean a line of side hoppers, each feeding into the next one, so that they can draw from a whole bunch of sources above and send all the items to the same destination? That should be quite possible.
Yes, but not necessarily a bunch of sources from the top. (Unless that's the only way to do it)

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Nevermind! I figured it out! :D

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

BBmine wrote: Yes, but not necessarily a bunch of sources from the top. (Unless that's the only way to do it)
If you just want to move items along a line, the minetest-mods fork of Hoppers has a "chute" node that can do that. Set up a hopper feeding in to a line of chutes and then have the final chute connected to your destination. It's like a much simplified version of Pipeworks.

IanniPowerup!!!
In-game: IanniPowerup

by IanniPowerup!!! » Post

no download link

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Last edited by TenPlus1 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

I've fixed the download URL in the top post! You can download a zip file straight from Jordan_ibanez' github tree.

Don't confuse this mod with tenplus1's fork, they're not the same. I don't like how tenplus1 is not clear about this. He could have explained this instead of dropping a link and nothing more.

There is also a maintained version (again, different) in the minetest-mods team:

https://github.com/minetest-mods/hopper

This one is community maintained - several people are contributing to it and making it a team effort. If you don't know which one to choose, I may have made it worse, but at least you'll have more information to make a decision.

IanniPowerup!!!
In-game: IanniPowerup

by IanniPowerup!!! » Post

AAAAA!!!!! When i enable this mod to one of my worlds it says that the mod contains dessalowed characters ! fix it :/

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

IanniPowerup!!! wrote:AAAAA!!!!! When i enable this mod to one of my worlds it says that the mod contains dessalowed characters ! fix it :/
You can fix it yourself.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

IanniPowerup!!! wrote:AAAAA!!!!! When i enable this mod to one of my worlds it says that the mod contains dessalowed characters ! fix it :/
You need to learn some forum etiquette:
Here is a better way to ask for help

(When I enable this mod to one of my worlds, it says that the mod contains disallowed characters. Could someone please help me fix this? Thank you)

Stop using capital letters and "!" to the tenth power.
And, when you say "fix it"..., this seems like a demand, and will not get you much help.

Now, with that.
Go to the folder for the mod. Rename it to simply hoppers and that should fix it
A Wonderful World

hajo

by hajo » Post

sofar wrote:You can download a zip file straight from Jordan_ibanez' github tree.

Don't confuse this mod with tenplus1's fork, they're not the same.

There is also a maintained version (again, different) in the minetest-mods team:
https://github.com/minetest-mods/hopper
What is the difference between these versions ?

I feel this needs its own wiki-page...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

hajo: Jordan initially started the Hopper mod which I took over by adding an API and new features, then the user FaceDeer forked it and added new pipes.

I keep my version lite for speed :)
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

minetest-mods/hopper version got chutes, sorting and ejection in addition to tenplus1's features.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Hoppers updated to version 1.6:

- Added Void Hopper (use to set output container)
- Runs inside active map areas only

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

This hopper, hopper and hopper situation needs to be consolidated :D

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

texmex wrote:This hopper, hopper and hopper situation needs to be consolidated :D
This topic was started by Jordan for his hopper mod,
which TenPlus1 continued with Jordan's blessings.

The minetest-mods team needs to start their own topic for their version and quit competing in this thread,
it just adds confusion when someone has a question about the hopper mod...like which one are they reffering to.

of course TenPlus1 should have also started another topic for his variant, like Jordan had suggested.

It's a common problem here on the forums, you see it with the castle mod, the dark age mod, and now this one.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Napiophelios wrote:The minetest-mods team needs to start their own topic for their version and quit competing in this thread
Leaving a cursory URL with an alternative mod is entirely reasonable, especially when it's clearly described as an alternative, which I did. Nobody is competing here, we're all just making sure people know that there are maintained alternatives around which is relevant considering that. After those posts, it's entirely reasonable for people to discuss the differences. Sure, it doesn't help that there are 3 mods and only 1 forum post (maybe there are more, I wouldn't know) but hey, it's something and that's better than nothing.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sofar wrote:Sure, it doesn't help that there are 3 mods and only 1 forum post (maybe there are more, I wouldn't know) but hey, it's something and that's better than nothing.
So hijacking threads is okay when its for your personal projects?

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

The question underlying this debate is "is this thread about a specific hoppers mod, or is it about hoppers mods in general?" I can see value to both positions. I also don't see any specific official guidelines about which way this forum's threads are supposed to go on a cursory glance around, anyone know of one?

In the case of the minetest-mods fork of Hoppers, I originally put it up as a pull request for TenPlus1's version and didn't plan to make it a continuing fork. But TenPlus1 considered it to be a distinct mod and declined the pull so it took on a life of its own instead. I sent it to minetest-mods as is standard practice for the mods I write. I don't think it's very different in terms of player-facing functionality from TenPlus1's, the original goal was building an API for other modders to use and change how hoppers functioned under the hood to hook into other existing APIs better, but I did add chutes and an "eject" feature so maybe it is worth creating a new thread for it. I don't know, and you and sofar have had opposite opinions. For now I'm ambivalent.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
sofar wrote:Sure, it doesn't help that there are 3 mods and only 1 forum post (maybe there are more, I wouldn't know) but hey, it's something and that's better than nothing.
So hijacking threads is okay when its for your personal projects?
I disagree this is hijacking. We're still talking about hoppers. The complaints about "hijacking" are more of a hijack than the actual posts by tenplus1 and facedeer and me.

If the thread owner disagrees with me, then that's fair. If tenplus1 disagrees, it's "his word versus mine" . If you disagree, it's entirely moot unless literally everyone in this thread agrees with you.

From what I can see, tenplus1 doesn't agree because he's just ignoring the complaints. I'm politely stating that I don't find it hijacking and I think the posts are a service to people who want to understand what is going on with the hopper mod forks, and other posters are doing the same.

but hey, there's always forum purists around, and the forum would be bland and boring without them?

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sofar wrote:If you disagree, it's entirely moot unless literally everyone in this thread agrees with you.
Yeah, thanks, f’k you, too.
sofar wrote:but hey, there's always forum purists around, and the forum would be bland and boring without them?
If thinking that creating a new topic for another mod is a good idea is being “forum purist”, then yes, I am one.