[mod] Floating Anchor [0.6.1] [floating_anchor]

Starbeamrainbowlabs
GitHub: sbrl

[mod] Floating Anchor [0.6.1] [floating_anchor]

by Starbeamrainbowlabs » Post

Hello!

I'm new here, but I've got some decent programming experience and have starting playing around with minetest to build things creatively for visualisation purposes. To that end, I've written my first mod: a floating anchor. Based on the Angel Block from the ExtraUtilities mod for Minecraft, the floating anchor, when used (right click like you're placing a block), places a block directly at your feet in mid-air:

When broken, it returns to your inventory.

I had quite a bit of trouble hiding the actual node form of the anchor from the creative inventory - for future reference you need to set "not_in_creative_inventory = 1" as a group of the node to hide it.

Support for the doc modpack is available! The anchor item should be described in the help pages.

Installation Instructions
It's strongly recommended that you clone the repository with `git` to the `worldmods` folder (create it if it doesn't exist) in your world's directory - then you can update with a simple `git pull`.

Links License: Code: Mozilla Public License 2.0 (MPL-2.0), Textures: Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA)

Latest Update: Set it to oddly_breakable_by_hand = 2 after receiving a suggestion.
Previous Update: The item form of the floating anchor that appears in your inventory should now draw like a node :D
Last edited by Starbeamrainbowlabs on Mon Jul 12, 2021 23:02, edited 5 times in total.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: [mod] Floating Anchor [floating_anchor]

by texmex » Post

Excellent little mod sbrl, I’ve been wanting this. Don’t forget to submit it to the content database. https://content.minetest.net/

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

texmex wrote:I’ve been wanting this. Don’t forget to submit it to the content database. https://content.minetest.net/
im starting to wonder why everybody notices small mods like this that are literally the same exact things that I have already made and published. the code to this is nearly identical to the code from my angel block except this adds a minetest.log. Not to hate on the mod, its a cool mod with a cool idea but I already made this. and the same happens with a TON of other mods. then everybody thinks they were the first and congratulates them while I don't think a single person knows I made an angel block style node first
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote:I don't think a single person knows I made an angel block style node first
I for one is just happy that another coder has found MT. The fact that I can’t find your mod you mention in the forums nor on Github answers your question. It’s not sbrl’s problem that you don’t advertise your mods properly. It’s also not a race of who’s first since it was made in MC ages ago anyway, which is mentioned in the first post.

Starbeamrainbowlabs

texmex wrote:Excellent little mod sbrl, I’ve been wanting this. Don’t forget to submit it to the content database. https://content.minetest.net/
Hey, thanks! Glad you like it. I'll do that now. That looks like a really useful site! Can't believe I didn't find that before now. I must have missed a link to it on the official website.
RSLRedstonier wrote: im starting to wonder why everybody notices small mods like this that are literally the same exact things that I have already made and published. the code to this is nearly identical to the code from my angel block except this adds a minetest.log. Not to hate on the mod, its a cool mod with a cool idea but I already made this. and the same happens with a TON of other mods. then everybody thinks they were the first and congratulates them while I don't think a single person knows I made an angel block style node first
Erm you do? I didn't find it when I went looking, so I created my own.

-------

Edit: Submitted! Couldn't figure out how to add a screenshot though. I've also got another mod I'm working on called worldeditadditions (it's on my GitHub account) - which I might post about here once it's got more commands.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

I really like the concept, great for building skybases (i always hated having to pillar up first). On a side-note i just looked through all his topics and couldnt find the mod @RSLRedstonier was talking about.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Stix wrote:On a side-note i just looked through all his topics and couldnt find the mod @RSLRedstonier was talking about.
that's my fault.
it is nice to have small 1 or 2 function mods but I find it clutters up the mods folder/game mods folder.
I have a nasty habit of taking tons of small things and cramming them into 1 group.
the angel block and metric tons of other items/features can be found in my skytest mod. I have released v 1.6 and v 1.7 is done but not releasing until skyfactory is released. (almost there just a bit of polishing, also waiting to mt 0.5)
every feature in skytest can be found in its all be it very long changelog. angel block was added in v 1.3
tbh this mod uses better textures than my angel block.
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote: it is nice to have small 1 or 2 function mods but I find it clutters up the mods folder/game mods folder.
I have a nasty habit of taking tons of small things and cramming them into 1 group.
Have you tried putting them into a modpack? If the one-or-two-function mods are fully independent of each other that would allow them to be enabled and disabled independent of each other, without adding extra subdirectories to the mods folder itself.

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

FaceDeer wrote: Have you tried putting them into a modpack? If the one-or-two-function mods are fully independent of each other that would allow them to be enabled and disabled independent of each other, without adding extra subdirectories to the mods folder itself.
well in skytest almost everything depends on everything else either hard depends or soft for recipes. skytest was a patch job to bring my skyfactory subgame together. idk why but i decided to release skytest first

Starbeamrainbowlabs

RSLRedstonier wrote:
Stix wrote:On a side-note i just looked through all his topics and couldnt find the mod @RSLRedstonier was talking about.
that's my fault.
it is nice to have small 1 or 2 function mods but I find it clutters up the mods folder/game mods folder.
the angel block and metric tons of other items/features can be found in my skytest mod. I have released v 1.6 and v 1.7 is done but not releasing until skyfactory is released. (almost there just a bit of polishing, also waiting to mt 0.5)
every feature in skytest can be found in its all be it very long changelog. angel block was added in v 1.3
Ah, I see. I drew the texture myself with Piskel: https://www.piskelapp.com/

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Starbeamrainbowlabs wrote:
RSLRedstonier wrote:
that's my fault.
Ah, I see. I drew the texture myself with Piskel: https://www.piskelapp.com/
Ive never seen that program before, personally i prefer to draw my textures using gimp.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

scorpx1

by scorpx1 » Post

sorry for posting a total noob question here (i am a noob to minetest). i have the mod in the correct location, enabled it for my mineclone2 game but when the game loads it gives me an error that says that the dependency "default" is not found. what am i doing wrong to get this to work?

edit, exact words are:

Code: Select all

ERROR[Main]: mod "floating_anchor" has unsatisfied dependencies: "default"

Starbeamrainbowlabs

scorpx1 wrote:sorry for posting a total noob question here (i am a noob to minetest). i have the mod in the correct location, enabled it for my mineclone2 game but when the game loads it gives me an error that says that the dependency "default" is not found. what am i doing wrong to get this to work?

edit, exact words are:

Code: Select all

ERROR[Main]: mod "floating_anchor" has unsatisfied dependencies: "default"
Hey! I'm so glad you've liked my mod enough to install it :-D

That error is because I have marked the default mod (that provides all of the basic minetest stuff as a requirement. As you are playing mineclone2, this mod was not found.

This is because the kids has a survival crafting recipe that uses items from the default mod. I'mppretty sure I can update this if you can suggest a mineclone2 crafting recipe (using the technical names of the blocks - eg default:sand - to make the default recipe auto enable if the default mod is detected, and the same for a mineclone2 recipe.