[Map] The Stanley Parable [WIP]

Christian_Soldier
In-game: Christian_Soldier

[Map] The Stanley Parable [WIP]

by Christian_Soldier » Post

Warning
This might become a dead thread because (at the moment) I have little motivation to continue this project. I originally started this to make more Endings than are in the actual game, but I found it a lot harder than I previously anticipated. If anyone would like to continue the project, though, be my guest. I would actually be happy if someone continued it.

"Stanley, can you hear me?"

This is a WIP Stanley Parable map.

It will include:
All endings
Narrator dialogue
Impossibilities(like a hallway that goes in a circle forever when entering)
Custom-made skin (Stanley)
And extra rooms from "Experiment 427: a Stanley Parable Mod"

Rules(optional):
1. No debug info (to prevent spoilers)
2. No fast (to prevent Narration glitches/repeats)
3. No node highlighting
4. No breaking anything (it will just mess up the map)
Spoiler
1. Add my own TSP mod to use.
2. Change doors to the special doors in TSP mod.
3. Update pictures to be smaller and show side-by-side comparison between this and TSP.
4. Figure out how to make mesh blocks in MT.
5. Add mesh blocks.
6. Add TSP mod separately for download as well as in the map.
7. Replace phones with custom-made ones.
All mods needed are included in the zip file.

This is my first map on the forums, so please feel free to provide feedback. :)
Spoiler
I haven't yet figured out how to set a spawn point, so you'll have to go to coordinates 55, 50.5, 232.

The phones ring by themselves at random, so if they get annoying just punch them to turn them off.
Download:
https://github.com/ChristianSoldier/TSP-Minetest

Spoiler

Any suggestions to improve the experience are welcome. :)

Update:

The floating plants have been removed.
Last edited by Christian_Soldier on Mon Dec 31, 2018 01:23, edited 19 times in total.
plz see my map from The Stanley Parable. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19944&p=0&e=0

gimp
GitHub: mrowlbio
IRC: Sasuke_Uchiha
In-game: Sasuke_Uchiha

Re: [Map] The Stanley Parable [WIP]

by gimp » Post

You have to make a singlenode world, then put the chunk of the map you want in it with worldedit, then put it on a website (I recommend github) and post the link here
thTKKKwDe0hkkFGbHye4NxNnnceXMJTL

Christian_Soldier

gimp wrote:You have to make a singlenode world, then put the chunk of the map you want in it with worldedit, then put it on a website (I recommend github) and post the link here
Um... I have no idea how to put it on Github, either.(sorry, i'm a total noob with this kind of thing)

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

Check here if you can find something that helps you. I couldn't do it either.

How do I get a mod on GitHub?
Spoiler
I hate my life

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Christian_Soldier wrote:
gimp wrote:You have to make a singlenode world, then put the chunk of the map you want in it with worldedit, then put it on a website (I recommend github) and post the link here
Um... I have no idea how to put it on Github, either.(sorry, i'm a total noob with this kind of thing)
You can always upload it as an attachment on the forum post, if you go to the full editor youll see the option to upload a file, and it will then ask you to browse your harddrive, note that you cant upload a folerder, it has to be a .zip or tar.gz file. Though its also worth mentioining that alot ppl cant download a tar.gz and therefore need a .zip download to try the map out.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Christian_Soldier

On Github, I tried a new repository and tried to add the .zip of the world there (as a singlenode world), but it says it's too big.

And when I try to upload the world as an attachment, it 413s me (says that the entity is too big).

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

so how big is your world file?
maybe you can unexplore unused areas of the map to reduce size

Christian_Soldier

twoelk wrote:so how big is your world file?
maybe you can unexplore unused areas of the map to reduce size
It's 37.2 MB (as a .zip). And it's a singlenode world with only the part of the map that i'm using in it.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Christian_Soldier wrote:On Github, I tried a new repository and tried to add the .zip of the world there (as a singlenode world), but it says it's too big.

And when I try to upload the world as an attachment, it 413s me (says that the entity is too big).
Don't upload .zip files to github.
upload it as you would any other repo.
github provides a zipped archive as a d/l already
A Wonderful World

Christian_Soldier

TumeniNodes wrote:
Christian_Soldier wrote:On Github, I tried a new repository and tried to add the .zip of the world there (as a singlenode world), but it says it's too big.

Don't upload .zip files to github.
upload it as you would any other repo.
github provides a zipped archive as a d/l already
When I tried to put it on git as an unzipped file, it now says that there's too many files.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

on the github web interface, safest is to upload only approx 80 files at a time (depending on the size of each file)
the github web interface has an upload size limit, so when doing it that way, you just have to be patient.
Just keep repeating the process until all your files are uploaded.

open the folder of what you wish to upload, upload all the files first such as license, depends.txt, etc.. and then start uploading the contents of the folders

in case you are unaware, to create a new folder, you have to use the "creat new file" button, you will see in the upper left the repo name/ with an empty field

from the last / in the repo name, inside the field you will type foldername/folder.txt

you have to create a placeholder .txt file, within your new file to make it a folder (this is if you need to upload textures, etc.) so in that case the foldername will be textures

When you are done uploading all the textures of the folder (or models or whatever), you can either delete the folder.txt file or better yet, you can rename it as license.txt, and use that to add your media license

if you upload a .zip file to github, when people d/l it, they will get a .zip file, with a .zip file in it.
and most people here are not keen on d/ling anything they cannot see the code/contents of.
A Wonderful World

Christian_Soldier

TumeniNodes wrote:on the github web interface, safest is to upload only approx 80 files at a time (depending on the size of each file)
the github web interface has an upload size limit, so when doing it that way, you just have to be patient.
Just keep repeating the process until all your files are uploaded.

open the folder of what you wish to upload, upload all the files first such as license, depends.txt, etc.. and then start uploading the contents of the folders

in case you are unaware, to create a new folder, you have to use the "creat new file" button, you will see in the upper left the repo name/ with an empty field

from the last / in the repo name, inside the field you will type foldername/folder.txt

you have to create a placeholder .txt file, within your new file to make it a folder (this is if you need to upload textures, etc.) so in that case the foldername will be textures

When you are done uploading all the textures of the folder (or models or whatever), you can either delete the folder.txt file or better yet, you can rename it as license.txt, and use that to add your media license

if you upload a .zip file to github, when people d/l it, they will get a .zip file, with a .zip file in it.
and most people here are not keen on d/ling anything they cannot see the code/contents of.
thx! do you know how to delete several files at the same time, though?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Unfortunately, through the web UI, you need to delete files one at a time.
Or, you would have to delete that repo, and just redo it.

Using git via terminal is much easier. Though to be completely honest, I literally was shown the part of using it just recently, that was holding me up from using/understanding it.

If you are only familiar with the web UI, my best suggestion would be to wipe that repo, and start it from scratch..., and then learn to use git cl, or even with a gui.
A Wonderful World

Christian_Soldier

TumeniNodes wrote:Unfortunately, through the web UI, you need to delete files one at a time.
Or, you would have to delete that repo, and just redo it.

Using git via terminal is much easier. Though to be completely honest, I literally was shown the part of using it just recently, that was holding me up from using/understanding it.

If you are only familiar with the web UI, my best suggestion would be to wipe that repo, and start it from scratch..., and then learn to use git cl, or even with a gui.
Could a folder be deleted?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

yes..., it will be deleted automatically once you have deleted each file, one at a time from within it... : /

seriously... all you have in the current repo is a .zip file.
just delete that repo and redo it

delete the repo, (you can do this by going to the repo settings, then scroll to the bottom and follow the instructions)
create a new repo with the same name,
then start uploading your files (the way they are supposed to be)
A Wonderful World

Christian_Soldier

TumeniNodes wrote:yes..., it will be deleted automatically once you have deleted each file, one at a time from within it... : /

seriously... all you have in the current repo is a .zip file.
just delete that repo and redo it

delete the repo, (you can do this by going to the repo settings, then scroll to the bottom and follow the instructions)
create a new repo with the same name,
then start uploading your files (the way they are supposed to be)
Darn...I was almost done uploading it when i messed up. :(
Last edited by Christian_Soldier on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Christian_Soldier

They should really change that. :\

Christian_Soldier

This is my first ever map so PLEASE try it... I haven't gotten any feedback or any indication that anyone has tried it in weeks. (maybe it's because I'm a noob at advertisement.)

Kroukuk
In-game: Kroukuk

by Kroukuk » Post

For which minetest version is this map made? I got some errors but I'm using 0.4.16 so if the map is for 0.4.17.1 or 5.0.0 then they maybe appear because of that.

With some of the mods I got the error that init.lua could not be found. Apparently that's because in the modpacks worldedit, plantlife, mydoors and homedecor the file modpack.txt is missing. (Maybe that's not needed in newer minetest versions?)
Also u_skinsdb is no mod but only the subfolder u_skins is the mod I think.

After I found Stanleys office the map looked really well designed :D The mods you used fit very well together.
The narrator and the sliding doors are neat and do a good job guiding the player.
I noticed that stairs:slab_nether_brick was an unknown node though.

All in all the map already gives a really good feel, I'd love to play the full map! =w=

Oh also in the air beneath the map grass and ferns started to grow, that's weird..
Spoiler
Attachments
floatygrass.png
floatygrass.png (117.18 KiB) Viewed 2532 times

Christian_Soldier

Kroukuk wrote:For which minetest version is this map made? I got some errors but I'm using 0.4.16 so if the map is for 0.4.17.1 or 5.0.0 then they maybe appear because of that.

With some of the mods I got the error that init.lua could not be found. Apparently that's because in the modpacks worldedit, plantlife, mydoors and homedecor the file modpack.txt is missing. (Maybe that's not needed in newer minetest versions?)
Also u_skinsdb is no mod but only the subfolder u_skins is the mod I think.

After I found Stanleys office the map looked really well designed :D The mods you used fit very well together.
The narrator and the sliding doors are neat and do a good job guiding the player.
I noticed that stairs:slab_nether_brick was an unknown node though.

All in all the map already gives a really good feel, I'd love to play the full map! =w=

Oh also in the air beneath the map grass and ferns started to grow, that's weird..
Spoiler
Thank you so much! :D I tried to pay a lot of attention to the details from the Stanley Parable and I will continue it. I made this map in 5.0.0, but I get the errors too. And the plants were there before I changed this map into a singlenode world, and I haven't yet cleared them out. :)

Christian_Soldier

btw the map starts at teleport coordinates 55, 50.5, 232.

Christian_Soldier

Can someone tell me how to make a drop-down list?

*Edit* NVM, I figured it out.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

What is TSP about? I've heard of it before but I'm not sure what it is... :/
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

Christian_Soldier

migdyn wrote:What is TSP about? I've heard of it before but I'm not sure what it is... :/
TSP (The Stanley Parable) is a game on Steam that is about Stanley (you). Some people say the point of the game is to do the opposite of what the Narrator (an entity that is basically a voice telling you to go through the story correctly) tells you to do, but I think it's more about exploring all of the endings.

Telling you anything more would be a spoiler. You should just buy the game yourself, as I am horrible at explaining/describing games. I definitely recommend the game, even though I failed horribly at describing it. :)

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

I actually was going to be making a thing like this, but I fail to try to create a story for the TSP like game.
But maybe we can Co-op with this... if you do the story I can get you someone for the narrator and I will be able to write the code....

Unless you already got that working...
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe