Is The Minetest Community TOO SMALL ?

IanniPowerup!!!
In-game: IanniPowerup

Is The Minetest Community TOO SMALL ?

by IanniPowerup!!! » Post

With Minete's updates and minete's community focused nature , there comes exposure from that . Exposure that lead to amazing projects within minetest , from mods to big servers that can host more than 100 people on them .

But the question is...Is Minetest's Community STILL TOO SMALL ?

Minetest has been around for years , but didn't gain a lot of clout until the big updates and onward.
Minetest does in-fact promote mods and modders , this is why it was created , so this means almost everything we see is community made .
The thing is..That we don't really know how many users minetest has , and more importantelly , active users .
But even more core than that , PC Users . Minetest's Google Apps downlods are over 100K , but we'll assume that around 20K players aren't active , and that ore than 50% of the phone user base are not doing much , either little kids either just normal players that just..play on the servers , wich isn't a bad thing of course but this isn't what we're talking about.

Minetest's potencial is HUGE
If it also de-taches off that *Minecraft-like engine* thing it will be even better . As a community driven project we need to give more exposure to minetest because it is defenetly too small of a community . With a big interest there will be more updates , with more updates , even more interest .

Now the point is that this game deservers more , the developers deserver more , the modderst deserve more , the servers deserve more .

Now the answear to the question : Is The Minetest Community Too Small ?
Yes and it needs more .
This game has the potencial of games like Roblox but..not so simple . Here another thing the devs should work on , simplicity and more mod support .

So yeah that is about it for now .
I know this post looks like a YouTube video script but I'm a youtuber so there was no way I wouldn't give this article a good feel . If you want to add-up anything share it in the comments .
And don't forget !
share-Share-SHARE-$H@R3 !

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Is The Minetest Community TOO SMALL ?

by rubenwardy » Post

Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

IanniPowerup!!!

rubenwardy wrote:No

Also: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19767
well 400K unique IPs...If I was you I'd suspect some shady stuff happening . From hackers to bots to people who always change their IP . Of course I could be totally wrong

but let's question for a sec...for how long did each of these IPs play ?

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

No. The community is the perfect size, in my opinion. Too many people means not enough uniqueness, and it's harder to know many of the people. If there were more people, I'd like Minetest a lot less.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

rubenwardy wrote:No

Also: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19767
I want to believe... but you can probably see for yourself just how many of those connections are android players just looking for a "free minecraft". Many of them probably aren't aware they are using a software called Minetest. And even if they did, a huge portion are not of age or maturity to join a larger community and contribute. I am gladly open to hearing otherwise.

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

by HONEYBOOBOOCHILD » Post

Players and server admins would like a larger community. Yes, so many empty servers.

IanniPowerup!!!

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD wrote:Players and server admins would like a larger community. Yes, so many empty servers.
mine too for some reason XD

IanniPowerup!!!

v-rob wrote:No. The community is the perfect size, in my opinion. Too many people means not enough uniqueness, and it's harder to know many of the people. If there were more people, I'd like Minetest a lot less.
well we're in a community not in a group . However it's just opinions

Glory!
GitHub: Glory7000
In-game: Glory7000

by Glory! » Post

I would write some of this in decent egliah but it's 3 am right now. Minetest does minetesticies but for those who really enjoy and really engage in minetesticies are the ones that form a community and it's here. We're... awkward name, minetesters, we test mines, yeah!!!1!1 We shouldn't import minecrafters because then they'll want minecrafts in MT which is like turning a team-based FPS into a big online bar fight about hats... It won't end well. I think the people that is interested in this minimal, manipulatable, extensible voxel framework should keep playing it and having big voices because that's what it is. Do you want to make a game about an adventurer that has tp craft potions to go back to their home dimension? Or about a test subject in a teleport gun testing facility? Or about aircraft acrobatics? Yeah you can, that's how MT wants to be used, it's the game version of choose-your-own-adventure, except you build it. It's made by hackers and modders for hackers and modders (hackers like C++ wizards, power users, etc). MT is also free to develop for, so if anyone wants to contribute then they should.

Big giant sorry for bad and confusing english. It's 3:35 am right now and i'm trying to sleep between two chairs. Sorry.
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath. :: My skin A competitor that unfortunately needs attention to stay afloat.

IanniPowerup!!!

Glory! wrote:I would write some of this in decent egliah but it's 3 am right now. Minetest does minetesticies but for those who really enjoy and really engage in minetesticies are the ones that form a community and it's here. We're... awkward name, minetesters, we test mines, yeah!!!1!1 We shouldn't import minecrafters because then they'll want minecrafts in MT which is like turning a team-based FPS into a big online bar fight about hats... It won't end well. I think the people that is interested in this minimal, manipulatable, extensible voxel framework should keep playing it and having big voices because that's what it is. Do you want to make a game about an adventurer that has tp craft potions to go back to their home dimension? Or about a test subject in a teleport gun testing facility? Or about aircraft acrobatics? Yeah you can, that's how MT wants to be used, it's the game version of choose-your-own-adventure, except you build it. It's made by hackers and modders for hackers and modders (hackers like C++ wizards, power users, etc). MT is also free to develop for, so if anyone wants to contribute then they should.

Big giant sorry for bad and confusing english. It's 3:35 am right now and i'm trying to sleep between two chairs. Sorry.
yeah...BUT ! A community should grow . Or else , it's just a closed group . I don't want games with potenticial to be like that , it's kind of a waste

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

We are not too small, what ever measure or compare to you mean ...

Just there are too many servers with similar aim, and along yours is not in top 10 list, nobody of the "not read the forum"-Gamers will recognize yours

we are getting more,
plus if we are able to make all this x-game-users to change to minetest and to stay, what is hard work

and onlky if the admins, moderators are most time ON their server, and guiding new "wrong" gamers softly into this minetest, we will get more and the new one will advertise about it.
Just kicking them is no solution ... as most here do, or want only registered trusted members. (See the discussion about)
Last edited by Festus1965 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I didn't feel an urgency to respond to this but, might as well.

The community is what it is.
The forum is active mostly with a handful of members. But that is not a representation of the overall community.
Most end users have never even joined the forums or, maybe joined but simply surf around without ever posting.

You can find random modders on github, who have never been members of, nor used the forums

I will say, that I would hate to see this community explode to the size of, or be populated with some of the personalities seen within the MC community.
Once it went full blown commercial, after the buyout, it became polarized by young, bratty, temper-tantrum throwing kids, who obviously suffer from a lack of proper parental supervision.

That's fairly mean of me to say but, there it is.

So, I feel this community is just right. And other communities have spun off from it which are more server-centric, which is great and, they are and always will remain part of the core community.
A Wonderful World

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

No.
The pleasantness of this community is down to the game not being very popular, not mainstream and being rather 'cult'. It would be much worse if we were near the popularity of MC. We are also already barely able to cope with the number of issues and pull requests, more important is more core devs. Servers are already swamped with bad mobile players.

I agree with the previous post.

I've noticed that many people are overconcerned with MT's popularity, advertising and 'attracting more players'. For example this is the argument behind that unnecessary Discord integration PR. The actually important thing is making MT good, popularity arises after that and because of that.

The idea that if the MT community isn't growing it is dead or there is a problem is ridiculous, people come and go. However my impression is it is slowly getting more popular, there is more activity on Github and more Youtube videos

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

If compare it with MC Community, it will be obviously true. If look at servers list you will see it has not over 400 users, but sometimes it doesn`t even excel 200 users. If compare Minetest with other "Minecraft" games it may excel them in some times. That`s why the answer will be hesitant.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

What I like the most in this human-sized community, is that basically all most active players and contributors know each other, and we can have casual discussions very easily, it's a bit like a village. Our community is a virtual village. This has other advantages, as not having to constantly deal with a crowd of immature children, as TumeniNodes wisely pointed out. However, I feel that this is, year after year, becoming less true, as the community is constantly increasing, and over-population is one of my biggest fears for the future of Minetest.

For the same reason that I will (in real life) take the first occasion to leave the excessiveness of the city to settle in the countryside, I would not like the MT community to become huge.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

IanniPowerup!!! wrote:Is The Minetest Community Too Small ?
Too small for what ??
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

I've been doing some research on what makes communities like ours work. If we wanted a bigger community without the worst negative effects then this how we would do it:

A nested modular structure.

I'm drawing on the work of Elinor Ostrom https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elinor_Ostrom

For example. Currently we have this going on:

Idea from anyone -> Developer

This is okay at small scale. But grow larger? Then we have too many people, too much for the Developers to handle. The system crashes.

A nested modular system would work like this:

mg_valleys idea from anyone -> subgroup for mg_valleys -> map makers group -> Developers

The layers filter the slush, flesh out the ideas, even do some of the implementation work. Most importantly they make sure each module on the next scale up only ever deals with stuff relevant to their scale. i.e. the developers only ever have to deal with stuff truly relevant to the whole project.

Individual communities remain small and intimate, and work loads are divided up - meaning more people can contribute but no one gets overwhelmed. The structure is fractal so can be scaled up or down as far as the project itself is modular (e.g. you stop somewhere between the current “Committee for Everything” and a possible “Committee for Blue Wool”).

If we want to grow (or just be more efficient), then we would need to bake nested modularity into the way we do things.

bhree
GitHub: bhree
IRC: bhree
In-game: bhree

by bhree » Post

I think donation to developers shows our commitment to the game and community as well as encourage developers who are technically more capable than most of us. We are not charged monthly for all of this enjoyment right? And what if someday a big company wants this project stopped because of being too big. Some server maintainers should actively promote theirs as this can be somekind of showcase what minetest can be, they have invested in network and electricity. Minetest is no doubt still under the shadow of Minecraft. What minetest has is that it is free and open source it should attract from pure players to modders, game makers, server owners and hopefully sponsors. New and pure players should not be intimidated by all technical aspect of modding and programming or server stuffs or something they are testers and the gameplay is given free. While technician can collect feedback from players which sometimes feels like complaing but that is important. Someday certain servers should have banners inside their worlds with sponsoring products. I'm not sure about big or small community but it should be sustainable. Free stuffs may not have umbrella company may be we should rely on donations and sponsors. Sorry mouthful comments but I like this game.