IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

[Abandoned] [Mod] Disk Lord [0.2.1] [disk_lord]

by Hamlet » Post

Adds Discworld's like things.

Version: 0.2.1
Source code's license: GPL v3.0
Multimedia files' licenses: CC BY-SA v4.0 International - CC0 v1.0

Dependencies: default (found in Minetest Game)
Supported: mobs (Mobs Redo)

Downloads:
Archives: .zip .tar.gz
Source code: Codeberg

Crafting Recipes

Octiron Ingots
* Place an octiron ore node next to a lava node.

Octiron Block
* Place nine octiron ingots in the crafting grid.

O: Octiron Ingot

OOO
OOO
OOO

Sapient Apple Tree's Sapling
* Place eight octiron blocks in the crafting grid, place a sapling in the central slot.

B: Octiron Block
S: Sapling

BBB
BSB
BBB

The Luggage (only available if Mobs Redo is detected)
* Place eight Sapient Apple Tree's wood planks in the crafting grid.
* If you are playing in creative mode, use the spawning "egg".
* If you have the "give" privilege, use /spawnentity mobs:luggage

W: Sapient Apple Tree's wood plank

W_W

The Reaper (only available if Mobs Redo is detected)
* Spawns if the character's health is lower or equal to 5, despawns if major than 9.
* If you are playing in creative mode, use the spawning "egg".
* If you have the "give" privilege, use /spawnentity mobs:reaper

Installation

Unzip the archive, rename the folder to disk_lord and place it in
../minetest/mods/

If you only want this to be used in a single world, place it in
../minetest/worlds/WORLD_NAME/worldmods/

GNU+Linux - If you use a system-wide installation place it in
~/.minetest/mods/

For further information or help see:
https://wiki.minetest.net/Help:Installing_Mods
Attachments
luggage.png
luggage.png (119.68 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Last edited by Hamlet on Fri Oct 02, 2020 17:32, edited 14 times in total.
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Re: [Mod preview] The Luggage [0.1.0] [mobs_luggage]

by TenPlus1 » Post

w00t!

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

discworld for the win yey
I tried to download this but I couldn't get a folder I think there might be a problem

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Chibi ghost wrote:discworld for the win yey
I tried to download this but I couldn't get a folder I think there might be a problem
:)
Odd: I just downloaded the archive, and unzipping it successfully created the folder.
I'm using XArchiver on GNU+Linux.
If you are on Win, maybe you need https://www.7-zip.org/ or http://www.peazip.org/

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:w00t!
\o/

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

cute lol

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Sapient Pearwood, yes please!
What is SCP-055?

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Chem871 wrote:Sapient Pearwood, yes please!
Coming soon :)

Attachments
sapient_tree.png
sapient_tree.png (179.35 KiB) Viewed 996 times

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Too cool! What about octiron?
What is SCP-055?

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Chem871 wrote:Too cool! What about octiron?
Well, I am not sure: I thought about adding a "neuter magic wand" recipe, using the Sapient Tree's sticks for that purpose, maybe with a mese crystal, e.g -> SCX (stick, crystal, empty).
Such magic wand could be used by other modders, as base for magic tools (e.g. "the fireballs magic wand").

According to the lore Octiron would be impossible to smelt by furnaces, and it's most peculiar feature - silencing the area around it, when struck - as far as I know isn't feasible in Minetest -EDIT- well, maybe setting the master volume to 0 would do the trick -EDIT-. Thus, I could create a new ore, but basically it would be just cosmetic save using it for magic wands' crafting.

What do you think?

"The Disc contains a number of substances. One such is octiron, a dense black metal that is a large part of the Discworld's crust. Its melting point is above the range of metal forges. The gates of Unseen University are made out of it, as is Old Tom, the university's bell. It is used to make magic needles and bells. It releases magical radiation, but if it becomes negatively polarised, it can be used to absorb such radiation. It generates significant amounts of heat under pressure, accounting for most of the volcanic geological processes on Discworld. When struck (such as with Old Tom), instead of producing a sound it briefly silences anything around it." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octiron#Octarine)

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Sounds pretty good, using it along a tunnel would grant silent sneaking abilities.
What is SCP-055?

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

I've been working on this mod, and since I'm having fun with it I've added some other things and taken some decisions.

Mobs Redo will be a soft dependency; if you use it then you'll get the mobs, else you'll still be able to use the module. The module itself will be renamed "Disk Lord".

You'll get the Sapient Apple Tree and the Octiron ore, because one may like to add them for diversity's sake.

It must be said that Octiron can't be smelted using furnaces, to obtain an octiron ingot you must place the octiron ore next to a lava node - either a source or flowing one - after a while it will turn into an ingot (or more).

I haven't yet made the octiron block (craftable as any other metal block), but I'd like to make it explosion-proof (if possible) to make it worth mining (-300, -31000).

On the mobs' side, I've improved the Luggage's code and added the Reaper.

I'm going to make the Luggage slowly recover health, else it would be a rather expensive pet in a non-creative game. Perhaps I'll make it pass through (destroy) obstacles when angry, that would make it able to help its owner, but could be a griefing issue; I'll have to ponder on this.

The Reaper is an NPC - not a monster - peacefully roaming around; of course if you attack it, it will insta-kill you. But it will not spawn, normally.
The idea is to use it in a few situations, i.e. when the player is about to die or has been respawned after death. It should say some funny line, maybe quoted from Terry Pratchett's works.

This is pretty much what's going on, if you'd like to help I would appreciate suggestions on the "Death Lines" (phrases said by the Reaper); just state if you've taken them from the books, so I will be able to properly give credit.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Maybe any player that has 2 health or less spawns a Reaper next to them, that will follow them until they heal or die?
What is SCP-055?

Hamlet

Re: [Mod preview] Disk Lord [0.1.0] [disk_lord]

by Hamlet » Post

Chem871 wrote:Maybe any player that has 2 health or less spawns a Reaper next to them, that will follow them until they heal or die?
Yeah that's an idea; I was also thinking about getting it spawned randomly, kill something and despawn.
Figure standing in a field looking at a cow, the Reaper appears, kills it and poofs.
Of course it should be a rare event, anyway I'll add a setting to allow users to tune it as they prefer.

UPDATE!
Check the first post, now the mod features Octiron, Sapient Apple Tree, The Luggage and The Reaper.
Be careful with the Sapient Tree's apples: they might heal or kill you.
It's still a beta an alpha release, but save for the Reaper it's fully functional.
MIND THE (folder) NAME CHANGE!
Last edited by Hamlet on Tue Jun 26, 2018 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Mod preview] Disk Lord [0.1.1] [disk_lord]

by Sokomine » Post

Nice! But...where are the little legs the chest is supposed to have? And: Does it follow its owner? Can it carry items in its inventory?

As a sidenote: We kind of have sapient trees if mobs_redo is installed. There are those walking trees attacking players at night. Those could rarely drop a stick of the valuable wood, which then might be crafted into planks - and eventually the luggage. LOTT also has impressive walking trees.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Sokomine wrote:Nice! But...where are the little legs the chest is supposed to have? And: Does it follow its owner? Can it carry items in its inventory?

As a sidenote: We kind of have sapient trees if mobs_redo is installed. There are those walking trees attacking players at night. Those could rarely drop a stick of the valuable wood, which then might be crafted into planks - and eventually the luggage. LOTT also has impressive walking trees.
It doesn't have legs: it uses the default chest node/mesh; that would require a custom animated mesh.
Frankly I don't know how tamed mobs are told to stay or to follow, but since it uses the Mobs Redo API it should work that way.
I have planned to add the infinite space inventory feature, even if that might be risky: if the mob dies the inventory is gone. I haven't done it yet because I don't know anything about formspecs and inventories.

Sapient Pears as far as I know (I haven't read all of the Terry Pratchett's books) do not walk around, and are extremely rare. This is why I choose not to spawn them on map chunk generation ("extremely rare" = one or two Sapient Pears per map); instead I choose to make them craftable - actually, the sapling - requiring a fair large amount of Octiron, which in turn is about five times harder to find than diamonds and can't be smelted using furnaces. All of this to get enough planks to craft one or two luggages.

To sum up, the current state is:
- done: luggage health recovery
- being done: Reaper spawning on player's - near death state (HP <= 5) and despawned on player's death/health recovery.
- to do: add infinite inventory to the luggage.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Hamlet wrote: I have planned to add the infinite space inventory feature, even if that might be risky: if the mob dies the inventory is gone. I haven't done it yet because I don't know anything about formspecs and inventories.
The luggage is pretty resistant and hasn't broken/died yet, so it ought to be pretty strong as a mob as well. Regarding infinite inventory...perhaps it's enough to present a finite one to the owner and act like an ender-chest for other players (including eating the thief?).
Hamlet wrote: Sapient Pears as far as I know (I haven't read all of the Terry Pratchett's books) do not walk around, and are extremely rare. This is why I choose not to spawn them on map chunk generation ("extremely rare" = one or two Sapient Pears per map); instead I choose to make them craftable - actually, the sapling - requiring a fair large amount of Octiron, which in turn is about five times harder to find than diamonds and can't be smelted using furnaces. All of this to get enough planks to craft one or two luggages.
IIRC there are some more luggages gathered in a perch somewhere on the counterweight continent when Rincewind pays a visit to it. Like gold, sapient pearwood isn't that rare on the counterweight continent. As gold isn't rare in MT either, perhaps we live there :-)

Hamlet

Re: [Mod] Disk Lord [0.2.0] [disk_lord]

by Hamlet » Post

Sokomine wrote: The luggage is pretty resistant and hasn't broken/died yet, so it ought to be pretty strong as a mob as well.
True, my concern is not to make it a way to powerplay: e.g. I've got a luggage, thus I'm invincible because it will never die and kill anything/anyone that attacks me.
Actually it will die quite fast if it ends walking into lava/fire. I've got to tune its stats to make it quite sturdy but not invincible.
Sokomine wrote: Regarding infinite inventory...perhaps it's enough to present a finite one to the owner and act like an ender-chest for other players (including eating the thief?).
What is an ender-chest?
Sokomine wrote: IIRC there are some more luggages gathered in a perch somewhere on the counterweight continent when Rincewind pays a visit to it. Like gold, sapient pearwood isn't that rare on the counterweight continent. As gold isn't rare in MT either, perhaps we live there :-)
:-DDD I didn't thought that. Yes, we might see it that way.
Well, I guess that on this matter I need feedback from the actual players; i.e. if octiron proves to be too much rare I'll increase its chance to appear, maybe making it just double rare than diamonds instead than five/six times like it is now.

Hamlet

Re: [Mod] Disk Lord [0.2.0] [disk_lord]

by Hamlet » Post

Released v0.2.0

- Luggage recovers health (1HP every 2secs)
- The Reaper gets spawned/despawned depending on player's HPs.
- The Reaper will say some lines depending on spawn/despawn case and player's HPs.

This is no longer a preview ("alpha"), but an actual beta.
To-Do: add inventory to the luggage.

Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Disk Lord [0.2.1] [disk_lord]

by Sokomine » Post

Hamlet wrote: True, my concern is not to make it a way to powerplay: e.g. I've got a luggage, thus I'm invincible because it will never die and kill anything/anyone that attacks me.
Perhaps the chest could just defend itself against attackers and try to occasionally lure some of them close to it.
Hamlet wrote: What is an ender-chest?
I mean that type of chest where whenever you click any such chest anywhere in the world you'll always see the same inventory. Other players will see their own chest inventory. The inventory isn't chest-based but player-based.
Hamlet wrote: :-DDD I didn't thought that. Yes, we might see it that way.
Or perhaps it's just an artificial discworld such as the one created in Strata. Just limit map generation a bit so that the map gets circular, doesn't become too thick, and...er...where's the turtle? :-)

Hamlet

Re: [Mod] Disk Lord [0.2.1] [disk_lord]

by Hamlet » Post

Notice: git repository back online.