[Server] Capture the Flag Server

DragonsVolcanoDance
IRC: DragonGirl
In-game: DragonsVolcanoDance

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by DragonsVolcanoDance » Post

The new maps are so awesome!
(Though some of them are technically old maps)

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

The new (old) maps are nice! They both have largely varying terrain, unlike 2H2L :)
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Extremely long match today on the new-old map Plains of the Past. Very epic, with over 20 "pro" players (but too long IMO, I was bored at the end!). I was about to start vote to skip, when Sasuke Uchiha won.

Spoiler
ImageImageImage
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:Extremely long match today on the new-old map Plains of the Past. Very epic, with over 20 "pro" players (but too long IMO, I was bored at the end!). I was about to start vote to skip, when Sasuke Uchiha won.

Spoiler
ImageImageImage
3 hours? :O
wow, is that a record? I wish i was there.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:Extremely long match today on the new-old map Plains of the Past. Very epic, with over 20 "pro" players (but too long IMO, I was bored at the end!). I was about to start vote to skip, when Sasuke Uchiha won.

Spoiler
ImageImageImage
Theres a time length stamp on the end of the match score list? When did that get added?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Stix wrote:Theres a time length stamp on the end of the match score list? When did that get added?
It was more than 2 months ago, when the new match summary design was added. It still needs some tweaking to fix word overlapping on small screens.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Stix

by Stix » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:
Stix wrote:Theres a time length stamp on the end of the match score list? When did that get added?
It was more than 2 months ago, when the new match summary design was added. It still needs some tweaking to fix word overlapping on small screens.
Hmm, i guess i never noticed as i usually don't pay much attention to the match summary rankings...

OrangeSoda
In-game: SG

by OrangeSoda » Post

Spoiler
ImageImageImage
Long rounds were very common on that map back in the day, longest one I remember lasted 3 hours and 14 minutes.

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

Iv'e noticed the battles in the "plains of nostalgia" and "ice age" maps get quite intense.
no

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

Plains of the past and Coast of nostalgia, there's no Plains of nostalgia :)
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

yeah one of those
no

PETE
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Post

I can barely find any chests on Ice Age map
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

Enrikoo
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

by Enrikoo » Post

PETE wrote:I can barely find any chests on Ice Age map
True, Chests only spawn in the breaking Ice. I hope (or all) this will be changed - Chests can spawn underwater.

Waterbug
IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman

by Waterbug » Post

Something seriously needs to be done about team balance. about 1 out of 2 matches is extremely unbalanced with twice the number of pro players on one team as on the other. One match I was on the weak team (only 4 pro players, including me) and the other team had 8 or 9 pro players at the end of the match. The very next match I was completely alone against 6 pro players on the other team; and the match was over in 2 minutes with my team destroyed.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Waterbug wrote:Something seriously needs to be done about team balance. about 1 out of 2 matches is extremely unbalanced with twice the number of pro players on one team as on the other. One match I was on the weak team (only 4 pro players, including me) and the other team had 8 or 9 pro players at the end of the match. The very next match I was completely alone against 6 pro players on the other team; and the match was over in 2 minutes with my team destroyed.
You beat me and the other player in that one caverns match lol. Maybe I'm just a false pro...
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Stix

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Waterbug wrote:Something seriously needs to be done about team balance. about 1 out of 2 matches is extremely unbalanced with twice the number of pro players on one team as on the other. One match I was on the weak team (only 4 pro players, including me) and the other team had 8 or 9 pro players at the end of the match. The very next match I was completely alone against 6 pro players on the other team; and the match was over in 2 minutes with my team destroyed.
You beat me and the other player in that one caverns match lol. Maybe I'm just a false pro...
It just means your a "lesser" pro, and in the caverns map, where there's many ways to escape, one real pro can succesfully beat 3-4 lesser pros, ive done it quite a few times myself, and i imagine so has Waterbug.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:
It just means your a "lesser" pro, and in the caverns map, where there's many ways to escape, one real pro can succesfully beat 3-4 lesser pros, ive done it quite a few times myself, and i imagine so has Waterbug.
ah, that's the word.
And I see what you mean. I was once trapped in a pit with two enemies. They had some good swords. But somehow I managed to kill both of them without being hurt much. It was a 4x1 node area. Maybe they were hitting each other...
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Stix

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote: You beat me and the other player in that one caverns match lol. Maybe I'm just a false pro...
ah, that's the word.
And I see what you mean. I was once trapped in a pit with two enemies. They had some good swords. But somehow I managed to kill both of them without being hurt much. It was a 4x1 node area. Maybe they were hitting each other...
Yeah, in situations like that teammates just get in each-others way, allowing a smaller force to kill them. That's why i usually prefer to work alone.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stix wrote: Yeah, in situations like that teammates just get in each-others way, allowing a smaller force to kill them. That's why i usually prefer to work alone.
eh, I had fun teaming up with geesh against a noob army. We held the border quite well. One of the things I love about CTF is the teamwork. Gives me a good feeling

Stix

Proposition to improve teams.

by Stix » Post

Proposition to improve teams.

My idea to improve team-picking is to divide players based on rankings. Now before you reply hear me out: i'm not referring to the default ranking system (which is really just a score-board), but rather a new one that resembles badges (ranks could be like "newbie", "pro", "veteran", "overlord" ect).

How this would work is killing gives you EXP, more-specifically killing a player below your rank gives you 1 EXP, killing a player at your rank gives you 2 EXP, and killing someone directly above your rank gives 4 EXP, with 1 EXP added on top for each rank above that. Too level up a rank players need to gain a set amount EXP, alongside having a positive K/D ratio. The total EXP gained in a match is decreased by 10% if your team lost. When in-game, ranking tags will be used for players to easily identify a players skill lvl from a distance.

Another idea to go on top is that the server checks if the matches are fair every 1 minute and if they're not, swaps a player to a different team accordingly with a msg: "Player XYZ has swapped teams!".

Pros:
1. Players skill-level can be determined from a distance.
2. Matches will be much more fair.
3. Suicidal players are locked out from ranking up.
4. Adds more of an incentive to win.
5. Adds more of an incentive to fighting (non-contributing players will be left in the dust).

Cons and ways to combat them:
1. Skilled players joining for the first time can put off match balance as the server sees them as a noob.
Solutions:
a. Players frequently killing others above their skill lvl will get 4x EXP until they reach the highest rank they can
reliably kill the players of, therefore lvl'ing up faster.
b. Adding an incentive to have a higher rank besides bragging rights, maybe some kind of reward.

2. (Can't think of any more cons atm, share ones you find!)

@All anyways id like to see what you guys think of this (especially @Rubenwardy and @ANAND).

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

That would mean a noob at 8000th place killing Anand would get 8000 points.
What is SCP-055?

Stix

by Stix » Post

Chem871 wrote:That would mean a noob at 8000th place killing Anand would get 8000 points.
No, no it wouldn't. If you read my proposition you know that the idea calls for a replacement on how rankings work, please re-read.

Stix

Short Proposition on how to eliminate flag-tunneling.

by Stix » Post

Short Proposition on how to eliminate flag-tunneling.

Anyone who's played on CTF for a reasonable amount of time knows that tunneling to grab the flag is a big issue and looked down upon, so i propose a way to eliminate it.

My idea is simple: to eliminate flag-tunneling we must remove players ability to tunnel. How do we do that? All it would take would be to make stone generated in the map indestructible in a 20-block radius around the flag for non-members. That way players tunnel would have to stop at a distance from the flag, and they then have to actually risk themselves to achieve their goal.

@All id love to hear what you think of this, don't forget to write a reply!

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

No. Tunnelling is a valid tactic
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

What about building straight up once you have the flag? It's worse than tunneling to me, because tunneling at least doesn't take a long time.
What is SCP-055?