In-game: Christian_Soldier

[Map] The Stanley Parable [WIP]

by Christian_Soldier » Tue Apr 10, 2018 00:00

"Stanley, can you hear me?"

This is a WIP Stanley Parable map.

It will include:
All endings
Narrator dialogue
Impossibilities(like a hallway that goes in a circle forever when entering)
Custom-made skin (Stanley)
And extra rooms from "Experiment 427: a Stanley Parable Mod"

Rules(optional):
1. No debug info (to prevent spoilers)
2. No fast (to prevent Narration glitches/repeats)
3. No node highlighting
4. No breaking anything (it will just mess up the map)

+ to-do list

All mods needed are included in the zip file.

This is my first map on the forums, so please feel free to provide feedback. :)

+ Notes

Download:
https://github.com/ChristianSoldier/TSP-Minetest

+ more screenshots

Any suggestions to improve the experience are welcome. :)

Update:

The floating plants have been removed.
Last edited by Christian_Soldier on Mon Oct 29, 2018 20:44, edited 18 times in total.
plz see my map from The Stanley Parable. https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19944&p=0&e=0

gimp

GitHub: mrowlbio
IRC: Sasuke_Uchiha
In-game: Sasuke_Uchiha

Re: [Map] The Stanley Parable [WIP]

by gimp » Sat Jun 02, 2018 04:32

You have to make a singlenode world, then put the chunk of the map you want in it with worldedit, then put it on a website (I recommend github) and post the link here
You are already in my genjutsu

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Sat Jun 02, 2018 17:15

gimp wrote:You have to make a singlenode world, then put the chunk of the map you want in it with worldedit, then put it on a website (I recommend github) and post the link here

Um... I have no idea how to put it on Github, either.(sorry, i'm a total noob with this kind of thing)
plz see my map from The Stanley Parable. https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19944&p=0&e=0

Phoenixflo44

In-game: Phoenixflo44

by Phoenixflo44 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 18:33

Check here if you can find something that helps you. I couldn't do it either.

How do I get a mod on GitHub?
You can't see it here. I'm doing everything wrong anyway. I'd rather make suicide than write with idiots

Stix

IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Fri Jun 08, 2018 13:05

Christian_Soldier wrote:
gimp wrote:You have to make a singlenode world, then put the chunk of the map you want in it with worldedit, then put it on a website (I recommend github) and post the link here

Um... I have no idea how to put it on Github, either.(sorry, i'm a total noob with this kind of thing)

You can always upload it as an attachment on the forum post, if you go to the full editor youll see the option to upload a file, and it will then ask you to browse your harddrive, note that you cant upload a folerder, it has to be a .zip or tar.gz file. Though its also worth mentioining that alot ppl cant download a tar.gz and therefore need a .zip download to try the map out.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Fri Jun 08, 2018 14:23

On Github, I tried a new repository and tried to add the .zip of the world there (as a singlenode world), but it says it's too big.

And when I try to upload the world as an attachment, it 413s me (says that the entity is too big).

twoelk

GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Fri Jun 08, 2018 18:50

so how big is your world file?
maybe you can unexplore unused areas of the map to reduce size

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Fri Jun 08, 2018 20:25

twoelk wrote:so how big is your world file?
maybe you can unexplore unused areas of the map to reduce size

It's 37.2 MB (as a .zip). And it's a singlenode world with only the part of the map that i'm using in it.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Fri Jun 08, 2018 23:22

Christian_Soldier wrote:On Github, I tried a new repository and tried to add the .zip of the world there (as a singlenode world), but it says it's too big.

And when I try to upload the world as an attachment, it 413s me (says that the entity is too big).

Don't upload .zip files to github.
upload it as you would any other repo.
github provides a zipped archive as a d/l already
I'm not your buddy, guy...

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Sat Jun 09, 2018 13:43

TumeniNodes wrote:
Christian_Soldier wrote:On Github, I tried a new repository and tried to add the .zip of the world there (as a singlenode world), but it says it's too big.

Don't upload .zip files to github.
upload it as you would any other repo.
github provides a zipped archive as a d/l already

When I tried to put it on git as an unzipped file, it now says that there's too many files.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sat Jun 09, 2018 15:36

on the github web interface, safest is to upload only approx 80 files at a time (depending on the size of each file)
the github web interface has an upload size limit, so when doing it that way, you just have to be patient.
Just keep repeating the process until all your files are uploaded.

open the folder of what you wish to upload, upload all the files first such as license, depends.txt, etc.. and then start uploading the contents of the folders

in case you are unaware, to create a new folder, you have to use the "creat new file" button, you will see in the upper left the repo name/ with an empty field

from the last / in the repo name, inside the field you will type foldername/folder.txt

you have to create a placeholder .txt file, within your new file to make it a folder (this is if you need to upload textures, etc.) so in that case the foldername will be textures

When you are done uploading all the textures of the folder (or models or whatever), you can either delete the folder.txt file or better yet, you can rename it as license.txt, and use that to add your media license

if you upload a .zip file to github, when people d/l it, they will get a .zip file, with a .zip file in it.
and most people here are not keen on d/ling anything they cannot see the code/contents of.

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Wed Jun 13, 2018 14:54

TumeniNodes wrote:on the github web interface, safest is to upload only approx 80 files at a time (depending on the size of each file)
the github web interface has an upload size limit, so when doing it that way, you just have to be patient.
Just keep repeating the process until all your files are uploaded.

open the folder of what you wish to upload, upload all the files first such as license, depends.txt, etc.. and then start uploading the contents of the folders

in case you are unaware, to create a new folder, you have to use the "creat new file" button, you will see in the upper left the repo name/ with an empty field

from the last / in the repo name, inside the field you will type foldername/folder.txt

you have to create a placeholder .txt file, within your new file to make it a folder (this is if you need to upload textures, etc.) so in that case the foldername will be textures

When you are done uploading all the textures of the folder (or models or whatever), you can either delete the folder.txt file or better yet, you can rename it as license.txt, and use that to add your media license

if you upload a .zip file to github, when people d/l it, they will get a .zip file, with a .zip file in it.
and most people here are not keen on d/ling anything they cannot see the code/contents of.

thx! do you know how to delete several files at the same time, though?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 15:29

Unfortunately, through the web UI, you need to delete files one at a time.
Or, you would have to delete that repo, and just redo it.

Using git via terminal is much easier. Though to be completely honest, I literally was shown the part of using it just recently, that was holding me up from using/understanding it.

If you are only familiar with the web UI, my best suggestion would be to wipe that repo, and start it from scratch..., and then learn to use git cl, or even with a gui.

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Wed Jun 13, 2018 15:57

TumeniNodes wrote:Unfortunately, through the web UI, you need to delete files one at a time.
Or, you would have to delete that repo, and just redo it.

Using git via terminal is much easier. Though to be completely honest, I literally was shown the part of using it just recently, that was holding me up from using/understanding it.

If you are only familiar with the web UI, my best suggestion would be to wipe that repo, and start it from scratch..., and then learn to use git cl, or even with a gui.

Could a folder be deleted?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 16:11

yes..., it will be deleted automatically once you have deleted each file, one at a time from within it... : /

seriously... all you have in the current repo is a .zip file.
just delete that repo and redo it

delete the repo, (you can do this by going to the repo settings, then scroll to the bottom and follow the instructions)
create a new repo with the same name,
then start uploading your files (the way they are supposed to be)

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Thu Jun 14, 2018 14:09

TumeniNodes wrote:yes..., it will be deleted automatically once you have deleted each file, one at a time from within it... : /

seriously... all you have in the current repo is a .zip file.
just delete that repo and redo it

delete the repo, (you can do this by going to the repo settings, then scroll to the bottom and follow the instructions)
create a new repo with the same name,
then start uploading your files (the way they are supposed to be)

Darn...I was almost done uploading it when i messed up. :(
Last edited by Christian_Soldier on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Christian_Soldier

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Mon Jul 02, 2018 14:07

This is my first ever map so PLEASE try it... I haven't gotten any feedback or any indication that anyone has tried it in weeks. (maybe it's because I'm a noob at advertisement.)

Kroukuk

In-game: Kroukuk

by Kroukuk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 18:31

For which minetest version is this map made? I got some errors but I'm using 0.4.16 so if the map is for 0.4.17.1 or 5.0.0 then they maybe appear because of that.

With some of the mods I got the error that init.lua could not be found. Apparently that's because in the modpacks worldedit, plantlife, mydoors and homedecor the file modpack.txt is missing. (Maybe that's not needed in newer minetest versions?)
Also u_skinsdb is no mod but only the subfolder u_skins is the mod I think.

After I found Stanleys office the map looked really well designed :D The mods you used fit very well together.
The narrator and the sliding doors are neat and do a good job guiding the player.
I noticed that stairs:slab_nether_brick was an unknown node though.

All in all the map already gives a really good feel, I'd love to play the full map! =w=

Oh also in the air beneath the map grass and ferns started to grow, that's weird..
+ weird grass
Attachments
floatygrass.png
(117.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Wed Jul 04, 2018 22:51

Kroukuk wrote:For which minetest version is this map made? I got some errors but I'm using 0.4.16 so if the map is for 0.4.17.1 or 5.0.0 then they maybe appear because of that.

With some of the mods I got the error that init.lua could not be found. Apparently that's because in the modpacks worldedit, plantlife, mydoors and homedecor the file modpack.txt is missing. (Maybe that's not needed in newer minetest versions?)
Also u_skinsdb is no mod but only the subfolder u_skins is the mod I think.

After I found Stanleys office the map looked really well designed :D The mods you used fit very well together.
The narrator and the sliding doors are neat and do a good job guiding the player.
I noticed that stairs:slab_nether_brick was an unknown node though.

All in all the map already gives a really good feel, I'd love to play the full map! =w=

Oh also in the air beneath the map grass and ferns started to grow, that's weird..
+ weird grass

Thank you so much! :D I tried to pay a lot of attention to the details from the Stanley Parable and I will continue it. I made this map in 5.0.0, but I get the errors too. And the plants were there before I changed this map into a singlenode world, and I haven't yet cleared them out. :)

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Thu Jul 05, 2018 13:06

btw the map starts at teleport coordinates 55, 50.5, 232.

Christian_Soldier

by Christian_Soldier » Wed Oct 24, 2018 19:08

Can someone tell me how to make a drop-down list?

*Edit* NVM, I figured it out.

Return to Maps