[Server] HOMETOWN

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: [Server] HOMETOWN

by Stix » Post

Miss Micah wrote: OMG EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! Like when people say no offense, people will automatically take offense because it’s usually always offensive! You literally can’t say anything this day and age without hurting someone’s feelings! I know he was being off topic, but if he wasn’t off topic and there was a discussion, grow some skin, and discuss! Also how can such a small disagreement be reported? Wouldn’t that be kinda abusive to report a small argument that’s not hurting anyone?
Yes it would be abusive, and that fact annoyed me enough to reply.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

GipNovoRBX wrote:
Miss Micah wrote:Seeeeeee you guys were being meanie heads for nothing, this guy isn’t all that bad! XP
Goes To show how developers treat fans
All I was saying was that you were blaming Linux for something it didn't do.

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

BBmine wrote:All I was saying was that you were blaming Linux for something it didn't do.
I don't even know if they were blaming anything >.>
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

GipNovoRBX wrote:Hasn't been rebooted for 45 days!!? dang Well let's hope the backup doesn't crash at the last minute since your close to being done filling blocks
There are systems that work without reboot for _years_, there is no need to reboot often.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stick, Micah, Some people think FGH is a horrible person. I had that fact in mind when I mentioned the similarities in their grammar and attitude. Would 'no offense meant' have been better? :P
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Miss Micah
In-game: micah

by Miss Micah » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:Stick, Micah, Some people think FGH is a horrible person. I had that fact in mind when I mentioned the similarities in their grammar and attitude. Would 'no offense meant' have been better? :P
Is that a serious question?
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

Stix

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:Stick, Micah, Some people think FGH is a horrible person. I had that fact in mind when I mentioned the similarities in their grammar and attitude. Would 'no offense meant' have been better? :P
1. FGH is a jerk, no doubt about it.
2. The fact that someone reminded you of FGH had nothing to do with the conversation.
3. By saying that it looks like you were trying to make him look bad so ppl would side with you.
4. Its "Stix", not "Stick", get it right :P.

GipNovoRBX
In-game: bucky

by GipNovoRBX » Post

So does Hometown need a new server? Since E Dad Rooted phone decided to erase itself. Maybe I can Get one I have a Macbook and should be able to run the new server

Miss Micah

by Miss Micah » Post

Stix wrote:
2. The fact that someone reminded you of FGH had nothing to do with the conversation.
3. By saying that it looks like you were trying to make him look bad so ppl would side with you.
THANK YOU!
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

GipNovoRBX wrote:So does Hometown need a new server? Since E Dad Rooted phone decided to erase itself. Maybe I can Get one I have a Macbook and should be able to run the new server
I must admit that indeed I am too getting the impression
you do not understand well how a minetest server works
or what actually happened to the server
nor how people are trying to save the map
and what actions might be possible
on a realistic scale of how much work these actions might require.
and I'm not really sure how much you actually care
or are interested in understanding.

it all may simply be a missunderstanding
as I, like others, have difficulties in understanding what exactly you are trying to say.
no offence meant.
as a non native english speaker of many years
I still do mistakes in english that I had had a clear concept of in my native language.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Guys, GipNovoRBX is obviously a troll. He's just making up rubbish to get attention, which you are all currently giving him.

And before anyone says anything about offending anyone, remember that trolls cannot be offended (or, put it this way, insulting a troll won't hurt their feelings because as far as they're concerned it's just a game anyway).

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stix wrote:
Iphone auto-correct is trash. DIdn't see that
and 3 is off completely. I know you're probably going to keep finding ways to come back at me so I'll just leave off here saying you have misinterpreted my post
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Stix

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Stix wrote:
Iphone auto-correct is trash. DIdn't see that
and 3 is off completely. I know you're probably going to keep finding ways to come back at me so I'll just leave off here saying you have misinterpreted my post
If you believe that then you've obviously misunderstood my motives...

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Hey, guys. Please take this elsewhere (aka end it) and stop cluttering this thread with useless bickering :D
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Little update:
The iphone server is still being worked on. My gerbil is getting old and isn't able to spin the wheel fast enough to charge the battery adequately. Rather than blowing the lock off of the wallet, I'll think I'll borrow the battery from the tractor in the back barn.

LOL!

Seriously... All the things I've been talking about completed and Kibbie and I explored the server to see how it came out. At first I was pleased. All the *gen concerns seemed to be overcome and all the map save donations were intact and seemed safe and sound. You guys really recorded a ton of stuff!
However.... at first it seemed in some places I had loaded map saves that someone had played offline. There were spots where there was a partial mountain, nearly to the clouds. The mountains had no bottom. So it looked like mushrooms without stems. Miniminaut's place had some of them, the North Pole had some. In fact it was baaaad. We discovered random above ground dungeons and sky islands and some other cool but freaky looking terrian. I considered manual clean up with /deleteblocks and it was doing great restoring to a proper terrain, but it required too much. And required huge selections that triggered the *gens and took out portions of builds.
After investigating I know what went wrong. As planned I used the same seed so we would have a match to our saves, and have a familiar world. But I discovered the map_meta.txt had changed. It was overwritten by Minetest when I had switched to a singlenode map generator and then switched back to mapgen v7. Minetest reverted me back to a default map_meta.txt for v7 based off of the seed. Our map_meta.txt was tweaked to tame some mountains and unrealistic terrain back when HOMETOWN was first born.
I hate messy terrain. I hate it even worse when the mess is from a change in mapgen settings. I don't like cliffs and holes where they don't belong.
So I started over. This time I'm only generating the padding around all the map save data. This time I have the proper map_meta.txt archived from Feb, 2017. Unfortunately this way of generating the padding isn't nearly as fast as I thought. It's actually quite inefficient.
There are roughly 5.2 million mapblocks (each 16x16 nodes) in the map saves. My script is generating padding around each mapblock. Which btw I increased the range to 5 mapblocks. What's slowing things down is each mapblock gets the padding, even if the mapblock is in a "cluster" of mapblocks. There is much duplicated generating going on. I'm sure bigger brains than mine could figure out how to overcome this, but I don't want to wait. The script is running. It's hard to give an idea of how much progress. I had to break the list of mapblocks into 1 million chunks as lua did not like the entire 5 million mapblocks in one shot. I imagine there is a limit to how big a lua table can be.
The first million started yesterday morning and finished roughly 2am this moring. I rewrote the script to try to do two lists at the same time since minetest.emerge_area is asynchronous, but it did not double the production. There's the same load on the server, although the memory usage doubled.
So we wait. :(
In the meantime... let's not be killing each other in this topic. It's summer time! Go swimming. Mow the grass. Sell lemon-aid. :P

Oh... there is a slight bonus about not generating a completed map. At least for me. A complete generated map that's roughly 200 nodes thick takes up 54 GIG's! That's without any builds, mines, explored caves and such. I wasn't too crazy about that.

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Little update:
The iphone server is still being worked on. My gerbil is getting old and isn't able to spin the wheel fast enough to charge the battery adequately. Rather than blowing the lock off of the wallet, I'll think I'll borrow the battery from the tractor in the back barn.
LOL. My tablet has Windows on it, if I had better internet I'd totally run a server off it just for lols.

I'm somewhat glad the map is getting regenerated, I was wondering how big it would be O.O

Miss Micah

by Miss Micah » Post

Sooooo......How’s the server going?
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Miss Micah wrote:Sooooo......How’s the server going?
I guess ExeterDad's bot is hard at work recreating the world.

Miss Micah

by Miss Micah » Post

BBmine wrote:
Miss Micah wrote:Sooooo......How’s the server going?
I guess ExeterDad's bot is hard at work recreating the world.
So....it’s good.....
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Why is ExeterDad recreating the world and why is the server disconnected?

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

Given how hard EDad has been working on this, I don't blame him for not supplying us with a constant progress stream. I would think his main priority is to get the server up, rather than let us know what he's doing to get it up. As far as I can gather he's also got a lot on his plate other than the server.
Andrey01 wrote:Why is ExeterDad recreating the world and why is the server disconnected?
Uhhh... long story short:
- The map was unintentionally deleted
- The map backup was unusable
- The only way to restore the map is local backups, so people have sent the local backups they have
- The local backups need to be overlaid onto a generated map otherwise mapgen destroys everything
- Generating map is slow
- The server went offline part way through generating
- The server resumed, but the differing map seed ruined the map
- EDad made a new system for generating the map which is more storage-efficient and means caves will be ok (probably)
- Generating map is even slower (?)
- Overlaying map saves takes time
- EDad doesn't have a lot of time, but is working possibly at an unhealthy rate to get the server up
- Once the map is restored and the server is up, there will be builds missing where there are no local saves (but local saves seem to have restored a lot)
- Player files are ok, but the map as we know it and forums are gone

Miss Micah

by Miss Micah » Post

I don’t blame him I’m just wondering! Gosh.
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Miss Micah wrote:I don’t blame him I’m just wondering! Gosh.
Very close :)
We have a map that seems good enough. Kibbie and I have been freeing up "that land" surrounding spawn. Although this doesn't mean there will be a land rush. It will be released in time if available. We don't want just anyone digging up or building anything too strange so close to spawn.
Also Minetest has needed upgrading for some time. But I couldn't build it without upgrading our server from Debian Jessie to Stretch. Minetest requires newer code these days. So Debian is upgraded and Minetest 0.4.17.1 is packaged, but hasn't been run yet. It's certain something will break when I install it.
This down time is somewhat of a blessing as at least things are being taken care of that required down time.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

ExeterDad wrote:We have a map that seems good enough. Kibbie and I have been freeing up "that land" surrounding spawn. Although this doesn't mean there will be a land rush. It will be released in time if available. We don't want just anyone digging up or building anything too strange so close to spawn.
So you're not using our saves? Oh well.

Miss Micah

by Miss Micah » Post

BBmine wrote:
ExeterDad wrote:We have a map that seems good enough. Kibbie and I have been freeing up "that land" surrounding spawn. Although this doesn't mean there will be a land rush. It will be released in time if available. We don't want just anyone digging up or building anything too strange so close to spawn.
So you're not using our saves? Oh well.
If you scroll up and read the ‘Little Update’ thingy that EDad wrote it explains all that there.
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD